Game Day Thread: Bengals vs Mules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ralphmtsu View Post
    The Bengals play calling is so damn predictable. 1st down pass-- incomplete. 2nd-10. Run the ball, lose 2 yards. 3rd and 12. Pass to the tight end for 11 yards. 4th and 1-- punt. For the life of me, why the hell do we ALWAYS run the ball on 2nd down if the first down play is a dud? Bodine is a turd. We could have stolen Alex Mack a few years ago but the dumb asses in the front office ALWAYS go cheap with he OL. Just f ucking imagine if we simply matched the Rams' offer for Whit and let him stay at LT? We might be 6-4 at this point if Marvin and the decision makers weren't so adamant about Ogbuei. He is an official bust. Oh and of course, Bullock sucks. I told you all in pre-season. Didn't like Elliot either. We never address the kicker position. We just let it come to us and we take whatever castoff bum is out there.
    Actually Cedric O ended the game with no QB pressures. He pass blocked very well today.

Someone needs to talk to Fejedelem about blocking on special teams. He had a complete brain lock on who to block on that blocked punt in the first qtr. He'll get a talkin' to tomorrow in film session

Comment

Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
      Man the poor defense. They get no rest. I can't even imagine how tense the locker room has to be with the defensive players being pissed off after the last 2 and a half games.
      No question the O sucks; maybe worst in the league but the D allowed a crappy QB led offense to get way too many 3rd and 4th down conversions. Those were in the first half and not the fault of the Bengal offense.

Comment

Originally posted by spicoli View Post
        I think the Browns can beat us next week.....talk about nails in Marv's coffin, giving Hue his first win of the year would be a huge one!
        For all the jokes about the Brownies, their defense is not that bad. Duke Johnson is our Gio Bernard and Isaiah Crowell has speed. Their OL is better than ours and Myles Garrett on the DL is going to be a beast if he can stay healthy. They did suffer a couple of injuries yesterday on defense with Jamie Meder and Emanuel Ogbah and they did lose Jamie Collins for the season and I haven't had a chance to see if they will be back this week. Their main issue is QB. Yesterday Kizer had 2 INTs and 3 fumbles, 2 of which he lost.

I wouldn't sleep on these guys.

Update: Ogbah out for the season with a broken foot. Meder suffered an ankle injury bout I couldn't find a status.
        Last edited by shebengal; 11-20-2017, 01:53 PM.
        "She's a Browns fan. She doesn't know anything about the playoffs." Chuck Todd referring to Kelly O'Donnell on "Meet the Press"

"The Browns are so low in national esteem that they troll the football equivalent of the thermal vents at the bottom of the Marianas Trench in the Pacific. This is the deepest point on the surface of the earth. Strange creatures live there and also in Berea." Bill Livingston-The Plain Dealer

Comment

I would seriously doubt the people who matter--that being Bengal players and coaches--will be "sleeping" as to the Brownies. They get pretty good A's for effort, as well as some good players, as you note. They will be ready to play Sunday, as indicative of a Hue-coached team. I would strongly believe ours will be also be ready to play.

I listened to their game while driving home yesterday--from Cleveland. While their line is allegedly a strong suit, they really miss Joe Thomas, and his replacement was getting killed on the rush all day long. Granted it was JAX and all, but their ground game couldn't seem to get any more traction than ours does, do that put Kizer in a lot of Bulls-eye situations. He has little field awareness, hence he throws into a lot of coverage, which leads to the picks. Pressure him, he has nothing.

But it's the NFL, so that's why they play the games.
          "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post

You probably remember the Boomer Fun Ride the last 5 games of the 1997 season? I do. I recall even during that run, folks complaining that by winning too many games would screw up draft status. They had little shot at the playoffs when that streak happened--it would have taken a lot of things happening to get there, but it was fun watching and even hoping a little bit that it would. Tanking would not have mattered much in retrospect. Unless they were #1 overall, there was no Peyton for this team, but still got a very good LB at #13. Oh, and the "once in a lifetime " guard of that year--Alan Fanaca--went #26.

You still have some fears that too much winning will also just net some hum-drum replacement at HC too. Losing doesn't guarantee anything else either..and it has nothing to do with who owns the franchise or who makes the decisions. Anyone new is going to be just that--new. I'm watching Vance Joseph today. While I absolutely know he has the goods to be great, looking at some of his expressions and movements sung of an obvious "not quite sure what to do now". Interestingly, Mule Fan is in full-throated screams for Vance to be fired--and not at the end of the season...now.

We might as well get used to it: anyone new--whether a Pauly, a Zimmer, or some other Asst coach wunderkind--is going to have a break-in period. I wouldn't worry about who is there, just be happy you get your wish and everyone's pet hate ML will not be.

And no, they will not lose to the Browns--that is tankathon personified.

Here's what I remember of the "Boomer Fun Ride" the last 5 games of 1997 - Mike Brown advising him to take the TV booth offer and not come back to the Bengals the next season.

Comment

You miss the point of the post, of course...but do also remember that Norman made his decision not to return even before the end of that season. He said his body "could not take another 16-game season". And he also courted ABC that off-season--he was never pushed out of ever coming back to the Bengals. That is just cold fact.
              "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

You miss the point of the post, of course...but do also remember that Norman made his decision not to return even before the end of that season. He said his body "could not take another 16-game season". And he also courted ABC that off-season--he was never pushed out of ever coming back to the Bengals. That is just cold fact.
                I thought I remember they offered him a flat one year $1 million contract for 1998, and he said no.

Comment

I think you are right. That was when he said his body couldn't take the full season pounding anymore.

Anyhow, I was just using this as a reference point for how even "lost seasons" can suddenly become not-so-"lost".

Comment

I would seriously doubt the people who matter--that being Bengal players and coaches--will be "sleeping" as to the Brownies. They get pretty good A's for effort, as well as some good players, as you note. They will be ready to play Sunday, as indicative of a Hue-coached team. I would strongly believe ours will be also be ready to play.

I listened to their game while driving home yesterday--from Cleveland. While their line is allegedly a strong suit, they really miss Joe Thomas, and his replacement was getting killed on the rush all day long. Granted it was JAX and all, but their ground game couldn't seem to get any more traction than ours does, do that put Kizer in a lot of Bulls-eye situations. He has little field awareness, hence he throws into a lot of coverage, which leads to the picks. Pressure him, he has nothing.

But it's the NFL, so that's why they play the games.
                    Here's some food for thought.

Brownies-6th in the NFL in rush defense, 9th in the NFL in overall defense.
                    "She's a Browns fan. She doesn't know anything about the playoffs." Chuck Todd referring to Kelly O'Donnell on "Meet the Press"

"The Browns are so low in national esteem that they troll the football equivalent of the thermal vents at the bottom of the Marianas Trench in the Pacific. This is the deepest point on the surface of the earth. Strange creatures live there and also in Berea." Bill Livingston-The Plain Dealer

Comment

Looks good. But their offense time of possession is just about the same as the Bengals--meaning their defense is on the field as much as is ours. They are 27th in points allowed. They are -17 in turnover ratio. I get they have some bright spots, don't know an NFL team which doesn't.

Like I said, it's why they play the game.

Comment

Originally posted by shebengal View Post

Here's some food for thought.

Brownies-6th in the NFL in rush defense, 9th in the NFL in overall defense.
                        i think thats in yardage? if so when your offense turns the ball over alot your defense dont give up as many yards for the touchdown compared to a punt/

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker57 View Post

i think thats in yardage? if so when your offense turns the ball over alot your defense dont give up as many yards for the touchdown compared to a punt/
                          Yep. I remember one year the Bengals were #9 in yardage per game mainly because the Special Teams sucked and the kicker couldn't reach the end zone. The opponents average starting field position seemed to be near mid field
                          Only users lose drugs

Comment

Nobody wants to be the team that loses to a winless opponent. It always seems this time of year we blow the crap out of the Browns. I don't see any reason why that should change this year. If the game were in Cleveland, I'd give them a shot, but it is in the Jungle. I expect a Bengals win.
                            Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Comment

Working...
                            X