Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introduce yourself

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Hello...everyone once again...Been a Bengal addict since there inception. Lived and graduated High School in Franklin Ohio.. er.. go the name Franklinite. Since graduation I've lived pretty much all over the US while in the Navy. After my discharge in 82 I went back to school for an Civ Eng deg down in SC and have been there ever since. Back and forth from Myrtle Beach to Charleston. I hate liking this team most of the time but every once in a while they make me smile so it's a fix I think.... I started on the old talk board as Loqutis I think. Moved to huddles till the great migration. I haven't posted in a while but after a season like we just had I have to take a respit...I'm always lurking and reading though....
    PS great job Super
    "We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and true religion. Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams

    Comment


    • #47
      My turn....I'm Michael and I, too, am an addict. This has always been my favorite board for a number of reasons...the posters seem to actually think about their posts, most can be reasoned with, and I've had the privilege of meeting a fair number of others here. Feels kinda like a second family.

      I grew up in Middletown, but have lived in NC for the past 25 years. Still have a couple sets of season tickets, one courtesy of Sox and make it back to most of the games.

      Been living by Wrightsville Beach for the past 11 years, but am moving to a town called Whiteville so my wife can be closer to family and friends as she never adapted to "the big city".

      Be around more often...but SC had such damn trouble with hackers and servers over the years, I gravitated away to Go-Bengals, which is a real booby prize. Higher class of addict at this site.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Dr Tarzan View Post
        My turn....I'm Michael and I, too, am an addict. This has always been my favorite board for a number of reasons...the posters seem to actually think about their posts, most can be reasoned with, and I've had the privilege of meeting a fair number of others here. Feels kinda like a second family.

        I grew up in Middletown, but have lived in NC for the past 25 years. Still have a couple sets of season tickets, one courtesy of Sox and make it back to most of the games.

        Been living by Wrightsville Beach for the past 11 years, but am moving to a town called Whiteville so my wife can be closer to family and friends as she never adapted to "the big city".

        Be around more often...but SC had such damn trouble with hackers and servers over the years, I gravitated away to Go-Bengals, which is a real booby prize. Higher class of addict at this site.
        It's been quite sometime since I've been hacked. Over 2 years. Before I put up the CMS and Blog pages. So now you can come back home.

        Comment


        • #49
          I'm Matt.

          Found this group on the football huddles site, which I think has been nuked like Japan in WWII...

          Was Matt1360homer back then, young, fresh out of college, enjoying my first radio job, and yes, a "die hard" (I think it was called back then.."Die Hards" and "Fed Ups?")

          The first game I ever ran, well sort of ran (it was training), was the Bengals/Texans game in 2002.

          I became Matt1530homer here, when Super Cat got it up and going, and has since just used my first name, since my layoff from ClearChannel back in 2009.

          Born and raised in the 'Natti...as a Bengals, Reds, and UC basketball fan.

          First Reds memory I have, is watching Pete Rose hit 4192 with my Dad, and my grandparents, at their house. At 5 years old, I didn't quite know what it meant, but it's stuck with me.

          Super Bowl XXIII is probably my first Bengals memory, at 8 years old. I watched it at a church group party. I may have been to a preseason game with my Stepfather prior to that against the Lions, but I'm not sure. I remember a guy from the Lions wearing #2, who was a litte guy, running all over them...doubt he made the team

          First Bearcat memory I have is going to a hoops game in 1992, with my Dad, and a Nick Van Exel break away jam! They went to the Final Four that year. Yes, I am to this day, a fan of Bob Huggins.

          So, here we are, at 31, still loving my teams and always will, but look at them, with what I hope, is a better perspective.
          Last edited by Matt; 08-03-2011, 02:31 AM.
          How about them Reds!!!

          Comment


          • #50
            I am new here.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Matt View Post
              I'm Matt.

              Found this group on the football huddles site, which I think has been nuked like Japan in WWII...

              Was Matt1360homer back then, young, fresh out of college, enjoying my first radio job, and yes, a "die hard" (I think it was called back then.."Die Hards" and "Fed Ups?")

              The first game I ever ran, well sort of ran (it was training), was the Bengals/Texans game in 2002.

              I became Matt1530homer here, when Super Cat got it up and going, and has since just used my first name, since my layoff from ClearChannel back in 2009.

              Born and raised in the 'Natti...as a Bengals, Reds, and UC basketball fan.

              First Reds memory I have, is watching Pete Rose hit 4192 with my Dad, and my grandparents, at their house. At 5 years old, I didn't quite know what it meant, but it's stuck with me.

              Super Bowl XXIII is probably my first Bengals memory, at 8 years old. I watched it at a church group party. I may have been to a preseason game with my Stepfather prior to that against the Lions, but I'm not sure. I remember a guy from the Lions wearing #2, who was a litte guy, running all over them...doubt he made the team

              First Bearcat memory I have is going to a hoops game in 1992, with my Dad, and a Nick Van Exel break away jam! They went to the Final Four that year. Yes, I am to this day, a fan of Bob Huggins.

              So, here we are, at 31, still loving my teams and always will, but look at them, with what I hope, is a better perspective.
              You were given a gift from the Gods when your first memory of sports was Rose's 4192nd hit. Being a Bengals' fan is the price you've had to pay for that. (I've sort of felt the same way after getting blessed by being a REDS' fan during the 70's and an early Blazer Championship in '77, along with being a fan of one of the most respected organizations in sports during the 70's and 80's, the Cincinnati Bengals.)

              And, a welcome to you, plaza009! Who Dey!
              "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

              "You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."

              Comment


              • #52
                My name is Kevin. 52 years young. Born and raised in Springfield. Have been a fan since the beginning. I grew up wanting to play DB for Paul Browns, Browns. I never got to even play for my local Pee Wee team. I went out, won the starting RB job over the head coaches brother. Mom walked by practice one day and caught me. She made me quit, because she was afraid I would get hurt ( I was a small fellow). When PB "left" that town up north, I followed him to the Natti. I have been a die-hard fan ever since. Used to keep all the season stats when Essex Johnson was trying to get to 1000 yards. He had gotten to 1002, them on the next play, dropped for a 4 yard loss. Bengals punted and that was it.

                I had season tickets back from 1986 and 1987 seasons. Got married, so I gave them up, and they go to the Super Bowl, just my luck.

                It has been hard at these lean years. The wife and all her family are die-hard Steeler fans. They have tried and tried to get me to switch. Going on 25 years married and it ain't gonna happen.

                I started posting at Cincy Talk. Roamed around to all the other sites, Fan Home, Huddles and others I can't remember at this time.

                I met a few at one of the golf outings at the Springfield GC a few years ago. Does anyone still get together like that? Would love to go smack a few with fellow fans.

                This is a good place to visit. I don't post as much as I used to, life has been keeping me rather busy the last few years.

                Comment


                • #53
                  I don't know if I like pulling back the curtain, but here goes.

                  My name is Dan. My dad, Maurice Neff, who passed away this past March, introduced me to the Bengals right off. I was 5 or 6 when they started (born in late 1963). I don't remember the first few seasons, but I'm sure I watched them. I do remember players like Boobie Clark and Coy Bacon and Lamar Parrish. My dad was as old school as they came. He used to quote Paul Brown on the importance of concentrating on the run, "When you throw the ball, three things can happen, and two of them are bad."
                  I have followed them through the decades, despite living all over this country. From KY to OK to NJ to GA to CO to GA to AL, FL, OH, ME, KY, and currently NC.
                  I remember back in the 70s and 80s, when we lived in OK and NJ, before the days of the internet, when the only info I got (except for the rare occasion when they were on national TV) was a little box score in the newspaper and Howard's halftime highlights on MNF (man did my dad hate Cosell). Those were lean times trying to follow from afar.
                  I too am one of the originals from the salad days at Cincy Talk. Those who were around remember that was a dark time for me. I had cancer, and it almost took me, but I can say without fear of exaggeration that the members of the board were a great comfort and distraction for me during that time.

                  I was a fedup previously, but I am very optimistic this season. I see a heart in this team that I honestly have not seen since the Boomer led teams of the 80s. Not to disparage Carson, but although he has great tools, I think Dalton has that special leadership quality that Boomer had but Carson lacks....Sorry, this is supposed to be about me.

                  I've only seen one Bengals game in person. In 2003, when we (my wife and then 4 year old son) were living in Maine, we took a trip to Cincinnati and went to the Baltimore game. What a great time, the weather was silly warm (like almost 80 in the middle of October), and we won. There was one incredible play in particular, where Kitna threw the ball to Chad on a post (I think), underthrew the ball, but it bounced off the CB to Chad and he took it to the house.

                  Being out of work for all but 4 weeks of the last 2 years, I have plenty of time to spend here. I enjoy this group, it is like family and old friends (there is only one user I have to put on ignore).

                  I want to publicly thank SC for this site, it is a great gathering place.


                  There have been many times I have tried to walk away from this team (especially from '91-'02), but I just can't do it. I will be a Bengals' fan until the day I die.
                  I Am Perfect, a new book by Daniel Neff. Available on Amazon
                  http://about.me/danielneff

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Blazer, go back and take a look at your original post.
                    Let me start by saying you are one of my favorite posters, I'm not trying to be sarcastic. I think this is interesting because we all say things and then later end up eating our words. I personally said that of the 2 QBs drafted 1-2 that year, Ryan Leaf would be better than Peyton Manning (that was fueled largely by my distaste for Manning's incredibly goober personality).

                    Anyway, though you might have been right at the time, isn't it funny how things turned out with our QB and OC. As a matter of fact, the last line of your post speaks to this.

                    Originally posted by BlazerBenner View Post
                    "If you live long enough, you find out pretty much that everything you eventually thought was true was not."

                    Originally posted by BlazerBenner View Post
                    The Jay Gruden signing was a complete joke, typical cheap-ass Mike Brown bringing in someone he knows he can have complete control over. I really don't know what deal Marvin Lewis made that encouraged him to resign with the Bengals for two more years. Marvin could have left and gone somewhere else, but he must have gotten some concession, and I think it was the firing of Bratkowski. Marvin's never had his own OC and DC here. He still doesn't. No way in hell did Marvin want to bring in Jay Gruden, but I have a feeling it was something like Mike Brown telling him that I'll give you three candidates and you pick the guy you want. Childress was probably the guy he wanted, but Childress probably backed out himself. It's just nearly impossible to work for Mike Brown. It's about as difficult as it is to work for Al Davis. But, at least with Davis, you know he wants to win. It's just a different type of meddling.


                    Your best bet is to trade for a veteran Quarterback like McNabb, or next year's 1st Rounder for Kevin Kolb, and draft Defense with the #4 pick in the draft and hope that Kaepernick is around still when you pick in the 2nd Round.
                    I Am Perfect, a new book by Daniel Neff. Available on Amazon
                    http://about.me/danielneff

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Hello...real name Eric...attorney in real life (kinda consider myself a recovering attorney at this point)...so that's the long ago origin of my tag. I've always used it since the early days of the intrawebs back when I graduated law school in 1996.

                      It wasn't long after that time that I discovered the messageboards over at Sporting News...my first experience with online posting. High School Harry was there...as was Coyotyl...Alaskan Bengal Fan I believe...Sandwedge too? It all blurs over a 15 year period...

                      A core group of us has stuck together over the last 15 years through various versions of "The Jungle" messageboard...our last one "pbsjungle.com"...just died a couple months ago and we're all nomads.

                      I was born and raised in Cincy...always a Bengal fan...but really got more into it after I left the state in 89 to go to college and then law school. Spent 5 years working in Cincy after law school and had season tickets at PBS...then decided to have my mid-life crisis at 30 and left Cincy and moved to Portland, Maine.

                      I've been here in Maine for a decade...and believe it or not there are a few Bengal fans up here in Patriot Land. Of course...I had the bad luck that my best friend in the area here is a Squeeler fan...

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Lawshark,

                        I lived in Maine for 4 years (2002-2006). My wife and I were houseparents at a group home for troubled teens (that is now all but defunct) in Hinckley, ME. About halfway between Waterville and Skowhegan. We really enjoyed Maine. We of course went to Portland a lot for shopping, eating out, traveling through on the way south to visit family. You can see my post above for my history (originally from greater Cincinnati)
                        I Am Perfect, a new book by Daniel Neff. Available on Amazon
                        http://about.me/danielneff

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Lawshark View Post
                          Hello...real name Eric...attorney in real life (kinda consider myself a recovering attorney at this point)...so that's the long ago origin of my tag. I've always used it since the early days of the intrawebs back when I graduated law school in 1996.

                          It wasn't long after that time that I discovered the messageboards over at Sporting News...my first experience with online posting. High School Harry was there...as was Coyotyl...Alaskan Bengal Fan I believe...Sandwedge too? It all blurs over a 15 year period...

                          A core group of us has stuck together over the last 15 years through various versions of "The Jungle" messageboard...our last one "pbsjungle.com"...just died a couple months ago and we're all nomads.

                          I was born and raised in Cincy...always a Bengal fan...but really got more into it after I left the state in 89 to go to college and then law school. Spent 5 years working in Cincy after law school and had season tickets at PBS...then decided to have my mid-life crisis at 30 and left Cincy and moved to Portland, Maine.

                          I've been here in Maine for a decade...and believe it or not there are a few Bengal fans up here in Patriot Land. Of course...I had the bad luck that my best friend in the area here is a Squeeler fan...
                          Welcome to Bengals Jungle. Sorry to hear best friend is a (cough) Squeelers Fan

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Neffs View Post
                            Lawshark,

                            I lived in Maine for 4 years (2002-2006). My wife and I were houseparents at a group home for troubled teens (that is now all but defunct) in Hinckley, ME. About halfway between Waterville and Skowhegan. We really enjoyed Maine. We of course went to Portland a lot for shopping, eating out, traveling through on the way south to visit family. You can see my post above for my history (originally from greater Cincinnati)
                            Aha! I knew your name sounded familiar...I obviously came across this board (or one of its previous versions) at some point in the past...you went by MaineNeff of something like that I think. I remember talking to you about Maine...my mother in law (and her family) are from Skowhegan originally and one of my wife's uncles lived right up the street from your school. Actually...they had a 50th wedding anniversary party at the pavillion at the school last summer.

                            Small world...innit?

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Lawshark View Post
                              Aha! I knew your name sounded familiar...I obviously came across this board (or one of its previous versions) at some point in the past...you went by MaineNeff of something like that I think. I remember talking to you about Maine...my mother in law (and her family) are from Skowhegan originally and one of my wife's uncles lived right up the street from your school. Actually...they had a 50th wedding anniversary party at the pavillion at the school last summer.

                              Small world...innit?
                              Wow. Sure is.
                              I may sound crazy, but I miss the winters up there. I love having snow on the ground from December through March (most winters).
                              I Am Perfect, a new book by Daniel Neff. Available on Amazon
                              http://about.me/danielneff

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                I am following law shark in here from the other board. Name there was guru, then I forgot my password and became goo, now I am just globetrotter. I landed at go-bengals.com after pbsjungle fell apart. Really liked the crowd better at the old place and am hoping to find the same here. I have been a Bengals fan since I watched them go to the super bowl when I was nine and decided to be a fair weather fan. That worked out well. I have an insatiable love for the draft and offseason. Excited to be here, hope I stay long. Lawshark hates sharing and helping children

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X