Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    We would say why waste it but ML would say "we cannot take the chance"
    Here's the way I put it. When a MLB team knows it can't make the playoffs, they often bring up young pitchers and put them in the rotation to see what they have in them. Why should the NFL be any different?

Comment

Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
      Here's the way I put it. When a MLB team knows it can't make the playoffs, they often bring up young pitchers and put them in the rotation to see what they have in them. Why should the NFL be any different?
      Because baseball has ten times as many games to play around with. Mike Brown is still about selling seats. Back up QBs don't sell tickets.
      Only users lose drugs

Comment

Originally posted by Pre_hungover View Post
        Because baseball has ten times as many games to play around with. Mike Brown is still about selling seats. Back up QBs don't sell tickets.
        I have to disagree there. The right back-up QB can actually bring back the fans that the starting QB lost. Remember Jeff Blake and the "Shake-N-Blake" hype he created? Bengal fans have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly that Andy Dalton brings, and I for one would love to see A.J. McCarron finish out the season.

Comment

Jeff Blake only played because both Klingler and the backup were hurt in the same game (I was at that one in Cleveland). Coslet was forced to play him the following week against Dallas (was at that one too) because both QB's were still hurt. He had a great game...but Coslet still said Klingler was the starter. When he couldn't go the next week, Blake played well again, and the decision was made. There was no changeout from a healthy starter to the backup, as you infer.
          "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

Originally posted by Maldez View Post
            I have to disagree there. The right back-up QB can actually bring back the fans that the starting QB lost. Remember Jeff Blake and the "Shake-N-Blake" hype he created? Bengal fans have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly that Andy Dalton brings, and I for one would love to see A.J. McCarron finish out the season.
            Andy Dalton isn't the reason they are losing. Anybody that's not going to games because of Andy Dalton is an idiot and there is no need to cater to idiots. Comparing 2016 to the 90s is a bit dramatic, don'tcha think? Klingler and Blake aren't anywhere near Dalton as a QB.

What exactly would the Bengals gain by starting McCarron? A higher draft pick from his future team? So a currently unknown opponent gains more from Cincy giving McCarron playing time than the Bengals gain. McCarron gets to sharpen his skills for a future employer while the rest of the offense gets put on hold for a month before starting over where they left off.

Boyd and Dalton are starting to get on the same page . . . let's stop that for a month(8 months).

Ogbuehi sucked for most of the season but looked good until the final drive against the Bills and the fourth quarter against Terrell Suggs. He's playing better now but let's put someone else in at QB so he can adjust to him before he disappears and has to go back to learning from Dalton again.

Cody Core is just now seeing the field, he needs to play with AD at QB for the same reason as Boyd.

The Bengals long term plans don't appear to meet your short term needs.
            Only users lose drugs

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
              Jeff Blake only played because both Klingler and the backup were hurt in the same game (I was at that one in Cleveland). Coslet was forced to play him the following week against Dallas (was at that one too) because both QB's were still hurt. He had a great game...but Coslet still said Klingler was the starter. When he couldn't go the next week, Blake played well again, and the decision was made. There was no changeout from a healthy starter to the backup, as you infer.
              I inferred that there was "a changeout from a healthy starter to the backup"? I don't believe so...just said Blake created quite a fan buzz with his ""Shake-N-Blake" style of play. McCarron could possibly do the same. Why not take a look?

Comment

Originally posted by Pre_hungover View Post
                ....What exactly would the Bengals gain by starting McCarron? ....
                They would quite possibly gain a much-needed spark, an energy, a kick in the ass...they seem to be going through the motions. Let's do SOMETHING to shake things up!

Comment

I inferred that there was "a changeout from a healthy starter to the backup"? I don't believe so...just said Blake created quite a fan buzz with his ""Shake-N-Blake" style of play. McCarron could possibly do the same. Why not take a look?
                  We all had a "look" at him for the final 6 games a year ago. Wasn't bad, wasn't great. He did what he could do. Overall, I liked what I saw. The closest thing to a "fan buzz" generated, was the brief aftermath of the Green TD at the end of the Playoff Game. But, there would have been that "buzz" if you or I had thrown it.

And, even though I loathe saying any QB has a won-loss record like baseball pitchers, AJ went 3-3 in his 6 games. FWIW.
                  "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
                    We all had a "look" at him for the final 6 games a year ago. Wasn't bad, wasn't great. He did what he could do. Overall, I liked what I saw. The closest thing to a "fan buzz" generated, was the brief aftermath of the Green TD at the end of the Playoff Game. But, there would have been that "buzz" if you or I had thrown it.

And, even though I loathe saying any QB has a won-loss record like baseball pitchers, AJ went 3-3 in his 6 games. FWIW.
                    6 games isn't much of a look, which is exactly why I'd like to see more. The guy QB'd consecutive national championship teams, he's got to have a winning pedigree. The Bengals are 3-7-1, let's take AJ out for a test drive.

Comment

6 games isn't much of a look, which is exactly why I'd like to see more. The guy QB'd consecutive national championship teams, he's got to have a winning pedigree. The Bengals are 3-7-1, let's take AJ out for a test drive.

There is no QB controversy in Cincy, and no reason to create one. Although I've never been a big Dalton fan, he's not the main problem with the team. You don't just bench the leader and face of your team, in the NFL, just to see if you might like the backup better. It's just not done that way, and it won't be done in Cincy.

Moot debate. Never will happen.

Comment

The college game means very little to the NFL game. I said when Trent Richardson came out from Alabama that he wasn't as good as everyone said he was. Even though he was clearly the top running back in college ball that year and the Tide winning a National championship. He only looked as good as he did because of his offensive line. The same goes with McCarron. He had an amazing offensive line that lead the team to two championships.
                        last year the Bengals line was much better than this year. You shouldn't get your backup hurt just because you want to see what he can do in meaningless games. Dalton has the experience of working with a bad offensive line throughout his career. McCarron has never played behind a line that was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Cat View Post
                          The college game means very little to the NFL game. I said when Trent Richardson came out from Alabama that he wasn't as good as everyone said he was. Even though he was clearly the top running back in college ball that year and the Tide winning a National championship. He only looked as good as he did because of his offensive line. The same goes with McCarron. He had an amazing offensive line that lead the team to two championships.
                          last year the Bengals line was much better than this year. You shouldn't get your backup hurt just because you want to see what he can do in meaningless games. Dalton has the experience of working with a bad offensive line throughout his career. McCarron has never played behind a line that was bad.
                          McCarron is more mobile than Dalton in my opinion.

Comment

McCarron is more mobile than Dalton in my opinion.
                            Mobile only means he runs from pressure. He doesn't mean he is better against it.

Comment

Mobile only means he runs from pressure. He doesn't mean he is better against it.
                              How do we know what he can do if he doesn't get to play against it in game situations?

Comment

Exactly.
                                How do we know what he can do if he doesn't get to play against it in game situations?
                                First off, it's not important for you or any other fan to know how AJ McCarron plays in game situations. The more you know, the more opponents know. The only QB controversy in Cincinnati comes from fans that don't know a lot about QB play. Seriously, you guys are getting into Tiger J@w territory. There are no grumblings from players, there's no talking heads talking about it at all. Just people on the internet that don't like Andy Dalton probably because they've never played QB in an organized setting and don't know how much Dalton actually does for this team. Watch the Cardinals play and watch Carson hustle to the line to get the snap off with one second or zeros on the play clock about ten-fifteen times a game and maybe you'll reflect on what it's like with a QB that doesn't have it between the ears.

You want to watch McCarron play? He needs to beat out the starter and then we'll find out. That's how sports work. No participation trophies allowed at this level.
                                Only users lose drugs

Comment

Working...
                                X