Salary Cap Spending 2013-2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salary Cap Spending 2013-2016

Am I reading this chart right? Has the Bengals spent more Salary Cap money than most of the league? How can that be? Most years they have the most money to spend under the cap?

I think that refers to money spent in salary and not bonuses. The statement "in cash" must mean something along those lines. That would make sense. I think 89% rule is an effort to avoid games like what Jerry Jones played with Deion Sanders when his contact was set up with minimum salaries each yr and everything else was a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Ray View Post
      I think that refers to money spent in salary and not bonuses. The statement "in cash" must mean something along those lines. That would make sense. I think 89% rule is an effort to avoid games like what Jerry Jones played with Deion Sanders when his contact was set up with minimum salaries each yr and everything else was a bonus.
      So you are saying the Bengals give out pretty much the most guaranteed money in the league compared to teams that set up bonuses?

Comment

Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
        So you are saying the Bengals give out pretty much the most guaranteed money in the league compared to teams that set up bonuses?
        It's not guaranteed money. Their multiyear contracts are essentially a series of one yr contracts. Once the yr starts, I suppose the contract is guaranteed for that given yr but that's the case for everyone. The guaranteed money is the signing bonus

Comment

On Wednesday, the league’s owners will meet in Dallas. And they’ll be told something that, if they’re reading this, they’ll already know.

Specifically, owners will be told the salary cap will increase by $8 million to $10 million per year, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. Currently, the cap sits at $155 million per team.

In past years, the league has been accused of understating the expected growth of the cap. This dynamic often prompts teams to set their spending budgets based on lower numbers, which causes teams to spend less than they could.

Yes, there’s a four-year, per-team, 89-percent spending minimum. But that means each team can pocket up to 11 percent of the available spending allotment, each and every year. At $155 million, that’s $17 million in pure profit that can be diverted from player spending.

It becomes much easier to pocket profit if the teams are setting their budgets based on salary-cap projections that are lower than the spending limit actually will be.
          Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

Working...
          X