Marvin Lewis Reportedly To Be Fired Upon End Of Disappointing Season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Girevik View Post
    This is a perfect example of why the Bengals are consistently mediocre, while the Buckeye football team continues to succeed. Lewis is brought back after his 15th year without a playoff win and possibly his most disappointing season ever. Ohio State goes 11-1, makes it the playoffs, and proceeds to get shut out in embarrassing fashion. Within a matter of days they have new QB coach and a new offensive coordinator. It's the difference between waiting for things to get better and making things better.
    Good Lord...comparing school sports involving children, to major league business involving grown ups. Smh.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

First it is college not high school and second, college sports is every bit as big as pro sports. But you clearly miss the POINT of the comparison.
      Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

No, I did not miss any point. No disrespect intended towards our friend, but it is strawman at best.

What a filthy rich higher education football factory does with its employees, simply has no bearings as to the operations of a major league sports franchise.

Better to use comparisons from the same levels--as incomplete as those may even be.
        "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
          No, I did not miss any point. No disrespect intended towards our friend, but it is strawman at best.

What a filthy rich higher education football factory does with its employees, simply has no bearings as to the operations of a major league sports franchise.

Better to use comparisons from the same levels--as incomplete as those may even be.
          In that case we can certainly site many examples of teams making multiple coaching changes in the time frame the Bengals make one. They do it to try and find the right formula for winning. Mikey just wants everyone to be comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post

Clearly the only perfect comparison would be to compare the Bengals actions in any given moment with the Bengals actions in that moment.
            Im finally starting to see the light.

My head hurts now, btw. Is that normal?
            Dona eis Requiem

Comment

Originally posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
              In that case we can certainly site many examples of teams making multiple coaching changes in the time frame the Bengals make one. They do it to try and find the right formula for winning. Mikey just wants everyone to be comfortable.
              I want to be comfortable....
              Dona eis Requiem

Comment

Originally posted by SladeX View Post
                Clearly the only perfect comparison would be to compare the Bengals actions in any given moment with the Bengals actions in that moment.
                Im finally starting to see the light.

My head hurts now, btw. Is that normal?

Comment

Reasonable thought.

Comment

You can not compare OSU football in the FBS to the NFL. OSU is taking advantage of a vastly uneven playing field. They are the Yankees of early free agency tenfold. With all their built in advantages they can afford to make rash changes and still avoid a large downside if those changes turn out to be poor choices. It has shown that in the NFL stability is rewarded. Having the same systems and scouts allow for the ability to draft better as everyone is on the same page and you can plug your holes through the draft more efficiently. It has shown with the Bengals and their improvement. The only thing that is holding the Bengals back is that they have not/did not hit on a PLUS QB. That is holding back a lot of NFL teams. As a fan of another team in the AFC North I hope the Bengals come with radical change. Chances are the results wont be as easy to replicate, let alone surpass the status quo.

Comment

Good analogy
                      It's a silly analogy. I'm done with Marvin but to compare any NFL team with the Ohio State Buckeyes is ludicrous. Look at the recruiting sites. Ohio State got 12 top 100 players. Alabama got 13. No one else in the nation got more than 7. No one else in the Big Ten got more than 6. There aren't those kinds of inequities in the NFL with its salary cap and draft rules. Ohio State is great because they field players that are far more talented than pretty much every team they play in a given year. That doesn't happen in the NFL.

http://www.scout.com/college/footbal...9&c=14&yr=2017

Comment

Originally posted by VOR View Post
                        You can not compare OSU football in the FBS to the NFL. OSU is taking advantage of a vastly uneven playing field. They are the Yankees of early free agency tenfold. With all their built in advantages they can afford to make rash changes and still avoid a large downside if those changes turn out to be poor choices. It has shown that in the NFL stability is rewarded. Having the same systems and scouts allow for the ability to draft better as everyone is on the same page and you can plug your holes through the draft more efficiently. It has shown with the Bengals and their improvement. The only thing that is holding the Bengals back is that they have not/did not hit on a PLUS QB. That is holding back a lot of NFL teams. As a fan of another team in the AFC North I hope the Bengals come with radical change. Chances are the results wont be as easy to replicate, let alone surpass the status quo.
                        I agree with a lot of that but Dalton's not the big issue. If it was just him then we would be losing to the Patriots in a lot of AFC championship games. Our QB is plenty good enough to advance in the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Ray View Post
                          It's a silly analogy. I'm done with Marvin but to compare any NFL team with the Ohio State Buckeyes is ludicrous. Look at the recruiting sites. Ohio State got 12 top 100 players. Alabama got 13. No one else in the nation got more than 7. No one else in the Big Ten got more than 6. There aren't those kinds of inequities in the NFL with its salary cap and draft rules. Ohio State is great because they field players that are far more talented than pretty much every team they play in a given year. That doesn't happen in the NFL.

http://www.scout.com/college/footbal...9&c=14&yr=2017
                          The analogy is - the team makes changes in order to win championships. They could rest on the laurels as a top 10 or top 5 team but instead they make changes to be #1. It is what the Pats do as well. In every league there are teams that drive and strive to be the best and others that just want to 'be in the mix'. Guess which one we are?

Comment

Thought I would read up on all of this supposed Urban-led "shakeup".

Seems he didn't can anyone. The Offensive Coordinator--who also just happened to be the QB coach--left on his own accord to become...wait for it...Offensive Coordinator and QB coach at Texas. And where another former OSU Offensive Coordinator (and sorely missed) happens to be the HC.

So the newbies who come in: is one of Chip's staff jettisoned with him at SF (QB coach), and a former HC of Indiana for offensive coordinator.

So while the optics would strive to show some magnanimous changes to not be "status quo", the reality is that there was going to be a need to fill both positions anyway.

Not that any of this still matters in terms of the Bengals, but interesting to look a little deeper.

Comment

Come on now, LT. People with an ax to grind don't like it when you throw facts in their face.
                              Only users lose drugs

Comment

Because teams that want to win the SB actually make changes even if it means letting go coaches that had very good past success. Giants like to win it all, Mikey likes to be 'in the mix'
                                Worked out well for the Giants, didn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X