Will AJ McCarron be traded?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
    I'm going to take a make a conservative prediction given how the NFL likes to treat the Bengals.

Nelson - 4th (Should be a third based on the combination of contract and performance, but the contract wasn't high enough for the NFL to actually give them one.)
    Jones - 4th
    Sanu - 5th
    Hall - 7th

Since the NFL only gives out 32 comp picks total, the Bengals might not even get that 7th.
    Hall doesn't qualify according to the link left by I_C_DP . . . well now that looks dirty.
    I'm pretty sure they're just making projections.

I'm guessing Hall doesn't count and Nelson only garners a 6th due to age/time served? Reggie certainly performed above Jones and Sanu.
    Only users lose drugs

Comment

Originally posted by Pre_hungover View Post
      Hall doesn't qualify according to the link left by I_C_DP . . . well now that looks dirty.

I'm pretty sure they're just making projections.

I'm guessing Hall doesn't count and Nelson only garners a 6th due to age/time served? Reggie certainly performed above Jones and Sanu.
      No, his link is old, and Hall hadn't signed a contract yet and the link doesn't include the performance part of the equation, only the size of the contracts.

Comment

Also according to that link, there are 32 spots and 44 players eligible, just read your comment on it's out dated . . . got it.

Bengals are the only team with 6 eligible losses and the Browns are the only team with 5

Here's the breakdown for the NFC
        Cards 4
        Rams 3
        Seahawks 2
        Packers 2
        49ers 1
        Panthers 1

All 4 teams from the West, 1 team from the South, 1 team from the North and none from the East. A total of 13. The AFC North alone has 15 eligible losses. Tough football in the AFC North.
        Only users lose drugs

Comment

Oh I can play this game... and Ladanian Thomlinson and Ezekiel Elliot. Come on let's have some fun...

OF COURSE THERE ARE GUYS THAT DON'T WORK OUT... but that's true at any position, and for God's sake this is the NFL where it is rare you draft a guy and he stays with your team for 10 years and doesn't leave on a huge contract after his rookie one.

Maybe instead we need a Levi Jones? Or how about a Reinard Wilson? A Kieth Rivers? I know...John Copeland! Let's draft another John Copeland!
          More teams though are using multiple backs so the reliance of a single high pick RB like Elliot and AP are rarer and rarer. This team needs to stick to the BPA approach, it has worked well for the past few years. As i have gained more trust in the scouting staff I find it more interesting to try and figure out which players fit our system instead of just playing the overall best player game.
          Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

Anyway, back to the original question in the thread . . . what teams would trade for McCarron?

NY Jets . . . I could see McCarron do well with Marshall
            Cleveland? I'm not afraid of him playing the Bengals twice a year but they may not go there.
            I doubt the Texans or Denver would deal.
            Someone mentioned Washington may let Cousins walk and try for AJ. It's possible.
            Chicago is in flux. They may need a stable QB for a couple of years to get their next project up and ready to get crushed.
            The 49ers are the only other team with serious questions at QB
            I think Bortles will stay in Jax and I don't think AJ would be dealt into a QB competition in Tampa, which isn't exactly enthralled with Winston.
            Only users lose drugs

Comment

If I was thinking of trading for a guy like AJ or Garrapalo I would base the deal on performance foremost and not the assumption that the guy who has hardly played will work out well. Texans learned that with Osweiller. It is the toughest position to play, the toughest roster spot to fill (with a good one) and the toughest position to evaluate. I think Hue may be a bit gun shy dealing with Mikey on a QB again..lol

Comment

Originally posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
                If I was thinking of trading for a guy like AJ or Garrapalo I would base the deal on performance foremost and not the assumption that the guy who has hardly played will work out well. Texans learned that with Osweiller. It is the toughest position to play, the toughest roster spot to fill (with a good one) and the toughest position to evaluate. I think Hue may be a bit gun shy dealing with Mikey on a QB again..lol
                Nothing could be more embarrassing nor as devastating to the Browns, than drafting another bust with the first pick in the draft. I look for them to trade down.

Comment

Originally posted by LimaBengal View Post
                  Nothing could be more embarrassing nor as devastating to the Browns, than drafting another bust with the first pick in the draft. I look for them to trade down.
                  They are caught between the proverbial rock and hard place - much like the Bengals were when they had the chance to draft CP. You have to forget all past draft blunders and trust the scouting staff. If you can't do that then get scouts in you can trust.

Comment

Originally posted by Pre_hungover View Post
                    Anyway, back to the original question in the thread . . . what teams would trade for McCarron?

NY Jets . . . I could see McCarron do well with Marshall
                    Cleveland? I'm not afraid of him playing the Bengals twice a year but they may not go there.
                    I doubt the Texans or Denver would deal.
                    Someone mentioned Washington may let Cousins walk and try for AJ. It's possible.
                    Chicago is in flux. They may need a stable QB for a couple of years to get their next project up and ready to get crushed.
                    The 49ers are the only other team with serious questions at QB
                    I think Bortles will stay in Jax and I don't think AJ would be dealt into a QB competition in Tampa, which isn't exactly enthralled with Winston.
                    I was the once who suggested Washington. The only other real possibility is Cleveland, and I strongly doubt we'd trade him within the division.

The Jets... drafted Hackenburg in the second round last year and "redshirted" him. I don't think they'd then trade for a QB just to compete with him. It would make far more sense to sign any of the veteran likely to be cut, like Jay Cutler or Tyrod Taylor, or Kaepernick, because if Hackenburg outcompetes them they can bench/cut them and haven't lost anything.

Chicago makes sense because I think they'll cut Cutler for sure. Or SF. But do either of them have any meaningful connections to our organization? Meaning, it's going to take somebody who knows McCarron and his work ethic to give up realistic value for him. Not everybody in the NFL is going to view him like we do. Thus I'd go so far as to say if Washington re-signs Cousins, we can forget about a McCarron trade, at least before the draft.

And let's remember teams have other options, like Tony Romo or Jimmy Garapolo. In fact there's a rumor that Cleveland will go after Garapolo.

Comment

Romo would be better suited for a team that has some talent but has the QB as a large missing piece, NY may be considered that - not a bad team with a good QB. He is too old to do a rebuild IMO.

Comment

Romo would be better suited for a team that has some talent but has the QB as a large missing piece, NY may be considered that - not a bad team with a good QB. He is too old to do a rebuild IMO.
                        Would you trade McCarron for Sheldon Richardson?

Comment

Guy is a stud on the field, but off the field not so sure.

Comment

Guy is a stud on the field, but off the field not so sure.
                            Could you imagine Richardson next to Geno??? That would be by far the best DT combo in the league.

Comment

Could you imagine Richardson next to Geno??? That would be by far the best DT combo in the league.
                              Is he better than Peko?

Comment

Would you trade McCarron for Sheldon Richardson?
                                Actually, no. I'd cut Maualuga and Adam Jones and use that money to sign a NT like Brandon Williams from Baltimore or Johnathan Hankins from NYG. And then I'd trade McCarron for picks, or something I couldn't get on the FA market. But, that's in a perfect world.

Comment

Working...
                                X