Will AJ McCarron be traded?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will AJ McCarron be traded?

I say he will request to be traded. It just sounds like he wants out and I do not blame him. I want to see what he can do as a starter. Cleveland needs a QB, will Hue come a calling? What about Jets? Marv said nobody asked about him in the off-season, well, I read somewhere that Lap said we were offered a 2nd or 4th for him. So who is telling the truth? What is he worth?
    "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.

Supposedly the Pats want a First and a Fifth for Jimmy G., how can McCarron be worth less than that?

Comment

The Bengals have 11 picks in this draft. Unless by adding one more to take as competent a backup as he is, why in the world would they trade him?
      "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
        The Bengals have 11 picks in this draft. Unless by adding one more to take as competent a backup as he is, why in the world would they trade him?
        11 picks? Are you counting comp picks that haven been given out yet?

Also what would stop them from combining a pick or two with McCarron to get a high pick? Say McCarron and a second and a third for #1 pick to get Garrett? Then the Bengals would have 2 top 10 picks?

Also...I was thinking about comp picks. The Bengals lost basically three big FAs in Jones, Sanu, and Smith. They did however get Dansby and LaFell in return. So do the Bengals end up with maybe a 5th?

Comment

I'm not sure Dansby counts. Was he a FA or was he waived/cut by Cleveland? I could be wrong, as my caring about the NFL wains more and more each year, but I always thought that picking up waived players doesn't count as a FA signing.
          Only users lose drugs

Comment

Originally posted by Pre_hungover View Post
            I'm not sure Dansby counts. Was he a FA or was he waived/cut by Cleveland? I could be wrong, as my caring about the NFL wains more and more each year, but I always thought that picking up waived players doesn't count as a FA signing.
            Yeah he was actually cut in the offseason, does that matter?

Oh Wow, I totally forgot the Bengals lost Reggie Nelson too. That right there should be a third or fourth round pick. He had a large contract AND made the Pro Bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerJ@w View Post
              I say he will request to be traded. It just sounds like he wants out and I do not blame him. I want to see what he can do as a starter. Cleveland needs a QB, will Hue come a calling? What about Jets? Marv said nobody asked about him in the off-season, well, I read somewhere that Lap said we were offered a 2nd or 4th for him. So who is telling the truth? What is he worth?

The rumor was that Zimmer was making an offer on McCarron just before the Eggles named their first round pick as their starter, which made Bradford trade bait.

Comment

The Bengals will get at least 3 picks. One for Jones, one for Sanu, and one for Nelson. The question is whether they get one for Andre Smith too. Overthecap.com has some info on this if you want to read up on it. And no, Dansby and LaFell don't count since they were cut. The Bengals do this on purpose to load up on picks. I think it's part of their management strategy to maintain fiscal health while other teams have to cut veterans. We let guys go and replace them with other teams' cap casualties, and load up in the draft every year. They were pretty pissed that they didn't get one last year (for Newman I believe), but that was because per CBA rules there are only 32 comp picks awarded, essentially amounting to an extra round, and the value of Newman's contract with Minnesota just narrowly missed the cut. That's why we don't know if we'll get a late pick for Smith or not. Where exactly those picks will be is anybody's guess, because it's a function of contracts, playing time, making the pro bowl, etc. Overthecap.com predicts two fours and two sixths for us, but they're only basing that on contracts, not the other variables. I'm guessing a 3, a 4, and a 6, but that's just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
                  Here's a scenario that to me is actually fairly realistic (although maybe wishful thinking). Kirk Cousins is, like many pro athletes, all ego. If Washington was willing to pay him 19.9 million on the franchise tag last year, why wouldn't he just ask for a deal on that amount every year? He's looking for a Flacco contract. If Washington franchises him again, they have to pay him something like 20 percent more, in the neighborhood of 24 million. And early in the year there were reports that Cousins's relationship with players and coaches was strained, though he did turn it around after that.

And Gruden loves McCarron. He sees him as Cousins but more of a leader. I wouldn't be surprised if Washington is on the phone with us even before FA to see what trading for McCarron would cost. Washington doesn't have much cap room, and trading for McCarron would be much cheaper than paying a mediocre QB 24 million. Then it becomes an issue of how badly we want to deal McCarron.

My suggestion to them would be Trent Murphy and a 2018 third rounder. They'll get a comp third in 2018 for losing Cousins in FA anyway, and there's no reason the compensation we seek need be 2017 picks. Murphy, by the way, is miscast in their 3-4, constantly bouncing between DE and LB, but had 8 sacks this year. He's be a perfect fit as a DE for us at about 285 pounds (he has ranged between 290 and 260 as a pro). Plus going into the last year of his contract Washington probably knows they can't re-sign him, as Preston Smith starts ahead of him.

There... instant upgrade on MJ at DE, and we sign a vet backup in case Driskel stinks.

Comment

Well, then. Why don't you just walk into the thread and clarify everything?

Good posts, Bengali.
                    Only users lose drugs

Comment

Originally posted by TigerJ@w View Post
                      I say he will request to be traded. It just sounds like he wants out and I do not blame him. I want to see what he can do as a starter. Cleveland needs a QB, will Hue come a calling?
                      I don't see the Bengals trading him within the division. I would certainly hope not.
                      "She's a Browns fan. She doesn't know anything about the playoffs." Chuck Todd referring to Kelly O'Donnell on "Meet the Press"

"The Browns are so low in national esteem that they troll the football equivalent of the thermal vents at the bottom of the Marianas Trench in the Pacific. This is the deepest point on the surface of the earth. Strange creatures live there and also in Berea." Bill Livingston-The Plain Dealer

Comment

Originally posted by Bengali View Post
                        The Bengals will get at least 3 picks. One for Jones, one for Sanu, and one for Nelson. The question is whether they get one for Andre Smith too. Overthecap.com has some info on this if you want to read up on it. And no, Dansby and LaFell don't count since they were cut. The Bengals do this on purpose to load up on picks. I think it's part of their management strategy to maintain fiscal health while other teams have to cut veterans. We let guys go and replace them with other teams' cap casualties, and load up in the draft every year. They were pretty pissed that they didn't get one last year (for Newman I believe), but that was because per CBA rules there are only 32 comp picks awarded, essentially amounting to an extra round, and the value of Newman's contract with Minnesota just narrowly missed the cut. That's why we don't know if we'll get a late pick for Smith or not. Where exactly those picks will be is anybody's guess, because it's a function of contracts, playing time, making the pro bowl, etc. Overthecap.com predicts two fours and two sixths for us, but they're only basing that on contracts, not the other variables. I'm guessing a 3, a 4, and a 6, but that's just a guess.
                        Reggie Nelson HAS to be worth a third rounder. Big contract and made the Pro Bowl. Jones and Sanu both got huge contracts and both had average seasons, so if anything they have to be worth a 4th for Jones who almost had 1,000 yards. Sanu should be at least a 5th based on contract size alone. Having two thirds, two fourths, and two fifths would be huge. If they could finagle another first for McCarron the Bengals could absolutely load up on talent without having to pick for need.

Comment

I always forget the comp pick rules. Do we still get a pick for Nelson even though he was not drafted by us? At some point, i thought it was just for losing players you picked yourself but likely wrong on that.
                          Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

Originally posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
                            I always forget the comp pick rules. Do we still get a pick for Nelson even though he was not drafted by us? At some point, i thought it was just for losing players you picked yourself but likely wrong on that.
                            Yes he is eligible... and I forgot about Leon Hall. I wonder what the cap on picks can be? Seems like the Bengals have 4-5 guys that could be worth picks.

Comment

3 teams last year received 4 picks each and remember also that starting in 2017, these picks are eligible to be traded
                              Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

Working...
                              X