Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whither the Franchise Tag?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whither the Franchise Tag?

    I was just reading an article about potential Franchise Tag candidates across the league, and it jostled my mind towards using it here. It isn't like this franchise hasn't used it before--it was even used for a kicker.

    So, since there is more than one player here who could be a target...who would it be?

    I would like to see Zeitler get it. Yes, it's $14 bills for a guard...but he is young, durable, and can actually play at a high level. Use it, and then see if they can do a long term deal before the time period runs out.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

  • #2
    I read somewhere that Zeitler said that he hasn't had any contact with the Bengals.

    He said he presented a contract to them (have no idea if it was reasonable) and has heard nothing.

    I color him gone.

    Comment


    • #3
      My understanding was the Bengals have NO plans on using the Franchise Tag this year...... It would be good thing to get Z back..

      Comment


      • #4
        They resign Whit, move Boling to RG Whit going in to LG, Fisher at RT, and Ogbuehi at LT. And we are still stuck with Bodine unless they use a high pick to draft that top Center from LSU.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by sandwedge View Post
          My understanding was the Bengals have NO plans on using the Franchise Tag this year...... It would be good thing to get Z back..
          I could see them possibly using it on Dre--if they are anywhere close to deal...and if Adam is not going to be here.

          But nothing is clear at the moment. And something tells me teams have to announce their tag selections soon. Anyone know when that might be?
          "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
            I could see them possibly using it on Dre--if they are anywhere close to deal...and if Adam is not going to be here.

            But nothing is clear at the moment. And something tells me teams have to announce their tag selections soon. Anyone know when that might be?
            They can franchise players now, but deadline is March 1st. Free agency starts March 7th.

            Comment


            • #7
              Actually deadline is March 9th for designating franchise players. I would use the transition tag on either Zeitler or Dre.
              Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

              Comment


              • #8
                According to CBS Sports the franchise tag deadline is 3/1.

                March 1: Prior to 4 p.m. ET, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.
                March 7-9: During the period beginning at noon ET, on March 7th and ending at 3:59:59 p.m.ET, on March 9th, clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2016 player contracts at 4 p.m. ET, on March 9. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4 p.m. ET, on March 9.
                During the above two-day negotiating period, no direct contact is permitted between a prospective unrestricted free agent and any employee or representative of a club, other than the player's current club.
                March 9: The 2017 League Year and Free Agency period begin at 4 p.m. ET.
                The first day of the 2017 League Year will end at 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 9. Clubs will receive a personnel notice that will include all transactions submitted to the League office during the period between 4 p.m. ET, and 11:59:59 p.m. ET on March 9.
                March 9: Trading period for 2017 begins at 4 p.m. ET, after expiration of all 2016 contracts.

                I would tag Whit. He brings the most "playing" value in my opinion.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by NCStripes View Post
                  According to CBS Sports the franchise tag deadline is 3/1.

                  March 1: Prior to 4 p.m. ET, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.
                  March 7-9: During the period beginning at noon ET, on March 7th and ending at 3:59:59 p.m.ET, on March 9th, clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2016 player contracts at 4 p.m. ET, on March 9. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4 p.m. ET, on March 9.
                  During the above two-day negotiating period, no direct contact is permitted between a prospective unrestricted free agent and any employee or representative of a club, other than the player's current club.
                  March 9: The 2017 League Year and Free Agency period begin at 4 p.m. ET.
                  The first day of the 2017 League Year will end at 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 9. Clubs will receive a personnel notice that will include all transactions submitted to the League office during the period between 4 p.m. ET, and 11:59:59 p.m. ET on March 9.
                  March 9: Trading period for 2017 begins at 4 p.m. ET, after expiration of all 2016 contracts.

                  I would tag Whit. He brings the most "playing" value in my opinion.

                  I agree with Whit. He is the only player mentioned so far that is even close to deserving top-5 money. The others, though starters, are strictly average at their positions.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    According to NFL.com the other day, Whitworth said he'll test Free Agency.
                    Only users lose drugs

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yeah, I read about that. Something along the lines of "I want to be here, but owe it to myself to try it". I read it as sort of a negotiating statement--before any negotiations begin.
                      "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
                        Yeah, I read about that. Something along the lines of "I want to be here, but owe it to myself to try it". I read it as sort of a negotiating statement--before any negotiations begin.

                        Sounds like he is fishing for the tag. I'd give it to him. One more payday for the oldest starting tackle in the league.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          We are old enough to remember people like Bruce Matthews and Jackie Slater--folks who played at a high level well into their later 30's. Our guy has that kind of longevity in his DNA. He easily has 2-3 more high performing seasons left.
                          "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I agree that Whit has more than one year left if he chooses to play.

                            The franchise tag is worth approx $13 Mill. He currently is getting about $6.5 mil including bonuses.

                            I would offer him two years at 8 Mil a year with a 3rd year option. That we we don't have to go through this next year again.

                            The other option is the transition tag.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by NCStripes View Post
                              I agree that Whit has more than one year left if he chooses to play.

                              The franchise tag is worth approx $13 Mill. He currently is getting about $6.5 mil including bonuses.

                              I would offer him two years at 8 Mil a year with a 3rd year option. That we we don't have to go through this next year again.

                              The other option is the transition tag.
                              Way off. Franchise tag for OL is more like 15 million. The transition tag might be 13. And besides, we paid him 9 million last year, why would he play for less this year? 8 million per year isn't even close. With the cap going up it'll take at least 10. Probably 11 or 12. I wouldn't mind if we transition tagged him, but I doubt we will.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X