Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's up Bengals peeps!? Draft season has arrived...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
    Why would anyone let Eifert walk?
    Because silly, you can get a comp pick for him in the following years draft!!
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

• Originally posted by spicoli View Post
      #1 italian...OJ Howard is a much better overall player...if you really want a playmaker on offense to go with AJ and Eifert, Howard is the guy Bengal fans should really be focusing on....6'6 250lb legit deep threats don't come around too often.
      YESSS !!!

9.BENGALS: TE O.J. Howard, Alabama; Geoff Hobson, Bengals.com _ All things being equal, they'd probably like to trade back if they're faced with this scenario. But that is going to be a long line so odds are they'll be here.

On the surface, Howard looks like a non-Bengals pick. Too high for a tight end, they’ve already got a Pro Bowler in Tyler Eifert, and Howard’s numbers aren’t all that impressive for a Cincinnati team that loves college product1ion.

But go below the surface and it makes sense. At No. 9, they are looking for someone that can make an immediate impact and as safe as pick as possible and Howard qualifies on both counts.

The pundits are saying as you go into the later rounds this is as deep a draft as you’ll find. But what has emerged over the last month is that after Garrett, the top of the draft is as jumbled as it has been in years.

There a lot of fine prospects, but not a lot of slam dunks. For instance, there are health concerns about Fournette, size and durability questions about Alabama linebacker Reuben Foster, and Hooker only did it for one year.

If Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green came out this year, he’d be the No. 1 pick. As it is, Clemson wide receiver Mike Williams is rated 15th and Western Michigan wide receiver Corey Davis is 12th on the ESPN big board.

The Bengals really need an edge rusher or two, right? While Michigan’s 6-5, 272-pound Taco Charlton has the dimensions to fit the Bengals defense and Tennessee’s Derek Barnett has the college production, Barnett has tumbled down the big board to No. 22 and Charlton is at No. 17.

And it all depends on whose board. One NFL.com list of the top 50 prospects has Davis No. 10, Williams No. 11, Barnett No. 13, and Charlton No. 23.

What makes things easier for the Bengals is the depth. There are going to be defensive ends available in rounds two through four and maybe even a defensive tackle. But for all we know, they got them ranked in the top ten. We don’t know.

The highest player on the ESPN big boards at this point with the Bengals on the mythical clock at No. 9 is LSU safety Jamal Adams, a wonderful player. He may be a great safety. But if he’s not and is just good, how much does that help you?
      What we do know is that many of these guys are going to be fine pros and you’re going to be happy to get them. But the 6-6, 250-pound Howard is just about the safest pick in this range of the draft. He’s considered to be NFL ready, a potential Pro Bowler who can play all three downs. He’s big, has hands that pluck, and runs a 4.5-second 40-yard dash that is matchup hell in the slot.

There is talk about a running mate for Green at wide receiver. What about one for Eifert? Remember how Patriots tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Martellus Bennett made life miserable for the Bengals last season? NFLDraftScout.com compares Howard to Jimmy Graham. You’d pay to see Eifert and Graham in the same offense, wouldn’t you?

What guy at No. 9 can come in and change this team for the better more than Howard? And forget about blocking. Tight ends simply don’t block in college and barely in the pros.

It would also add some insurance for Eifert, who has missed 23 games in the last three years.
      Howard on the ESPN big board?

No. 8.

The one list on NFL.com?

No. 7.

So if that’s where the Bengals rank Howard, they’ll stay true to their board as well as holding firm on getting a difference-maker in the top ten. And they’ll have to solve pass rush later,

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...3-2ad3a5204bdf

Comment

• Originally posted by #1 italian fan View Post
        YESSS !!!

9.BENGALS: TE O.J. Howard, Alabama; Geoff Hobson, Bengals.com _ All things being equal, they'd probably like to trade back if they're faced with this scenario. But that is going to be a long line so odds are they'll be here.

On the surface, Howard looks like a non-Bengals pick. Too high for a tight end, they’ve already got a Pro Bowler in Tyler Eifert, and Howard’s numbers aren’t all that impressive for a Cincinnati team that loves college product1ion.

But go below the surface and it makes sense. At No. 9, they are looking for someone that can make an immediate impact and as safe as pick as possible and Howard qualifies on both counts.

The pundits are saying as you go into the later rounds this is as deep a draft as you’ll find. But what has emerged over the last month is that after Garrett, the top of the draft is as jumbled as it has been in years.

There a lot of fine prospects, but not a lot of slam dunks. For instance, there are health concerns about Fournette, size and durability questions about Alabama linebacker Reuben Foster, and Hooker only did it for one year.

If Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green came out this year, he’d be the No. 1 pick. As it is, Clemson wide receiver Mike Williams is rated 15th and Western Michigan wide receiver Corey Davis is 12th on the ESPN big board.

The Bengals really need an edge rusher or two, right? While Michigan’s 6-5, 272-pound Taco Charlton has the dimensions to fit the Bengals defense and Tennessee’s Derek Barnett has the college production, Barnett has tumbled down the big board to No. 22 and Charlton is at No. 17.

And it all depends on whose board. One NFL.com list of the top 50 prospects has Davis No. 10, Williams No. 11, Barnett No. 13, and Charlton No. 23.

What makes things easier for the Bengals is the depth. There are going to be defensive ends available in rounds two through four and maybe even a defensive tackle. But for all we know, they got them ranked in the top ten. We don’t know.

The highest player on the ESPN big boards at this point with the Bengals on the mythical clock at No. 9 is LSU safety Jamal Adams, a wonderful player. He may be a great safety. But if he’s not and is just good, how much does that help you?
        What we do know is that many of these guys are going to be fine pros and you’re going to be happy to get them. But the 6-6, 250-pound Howard is just about the safest pick in this range of the draft. He’s considered to be NFL ready, a potential Pro Bowler who can play all three downs. He’s big, has hands that pluck, and runs a 4.5-second 40-yard dash that is matchup hell in the slot.

There is talk about a running mate for Green at wide receiver. What about one for Eifert? Remember how Patriots tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Martellus Bennett made life miserable for the Bengals last season? NFLDraftScout.com compares Howard to Jimmy Graham. You’d pay to see Eifert and Graham in the same offense, wouldn’t you?

What guy at No. 9 can come in and change this team for the better more than Howard? And forget about blocking. Tight ends simply don’t block in college and barely in the pros.

It would also add some insurance for Eifert, who has missed 23 games in the last three years.
        Howard on the ESPN big board?

No. 8.

The one list on NFL.com?

No. 7.

So if that’s where the Bengals rank Howard, they’ll stay true to their board as well as holding firm on getting a difference-maker in the top ten. And they’ll have to solve pass rush later,

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...3-2ad3a5204bdf
        Spicoli got it correct.......you draft the best player at your spot. I think the Bengals realized that when they tried to get cute and we got Chris Perry instead of Steven Jackson.

Howard, Green, Eifert, Boyd, and LaFell......sounds like a match-up nightmare for teams if Howard is actually "Plug and Play".

Comment

• best way to defend that is rush 5 thru the revolving door OL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stryker57 View Post
            best way to defend that is rush 5 thru the revolving door OL.
            our QB is pretty damn good about getting the ball out fast and on time though....that's the one saving grace.
            potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
            QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
            OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

• Originally posted by BengalCP9 View Post
              Spicoli got it correct.......you draft the best player at your spot. I think the Bengals realized that when they tried to get cute and we got Chris Perry instead of Steven Jackson.
              Spicoli, I can swear to you that I have absolutely not spoken with BengalCP9

Originally posted by BengalCP9 View Post
              Howard, Green, Eifert, Boyd, and LaFell......sounds like a match-up nightmare for teams if Howard is actually "Plug and Play".
              But I can remember (seriously) that I preferred Bradley Roby (4,39) instead of Darqueze Dennard (4,51) and Kelechi Oseleme over Kevin Zeitler (because better overall measurables) ...

This year AJ Howard has much better measurables than Mike Williams so I'm with you 2 guys . . . and Mixon/Kamara in the second round too?
              Last edited by #1 italian fan; 03-18-2017, 06:23 AM.

Comment

• Just for the record:

we lost Whit ad Zeitler but Minnesota lost Smth, Kalil and Peterson. Then Zim and Marv share same ... "plan"?

Comment

• Originally posted by BengalCP9 View Post

And speaking of getting cute......... I just finished reading the mocks on CBS Sports.com, and four of their prognosticators have us taking Corey Davis, WR, out of Western Michigan. One has us taking Hasaan Reddick, and one gives us Foster. None others mentioned. Your thoughts, everyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by NCStripes View Post
                    What is the difference between drafting a WR and a TE that could spread the offense? They both cost the same, actually very little for 5 years. The only reason to let Eifert walk is if they think he is too injury prone.
                    I don't see why we couldn't run a two tight end set. Either tight end could move to the slot or they could stay in a tight formation.
                    That's a fine plan if that's what we actually do. I'm not saying we should let Eifert walk, I'm saying you know that next year the front office will rationalize that it's better to get that 2019 comp pick than have two tight ends. Then it's the hamster wheel again. Drafting a WR means we let LaFell walk in two years, which is absolutely fine.

I'm just talking about what I hope to see happen, not what I would do personally.

Comment

• Originally posted by furnbuff View Post
                      And speaking of getting cute......... I just finished reading the mocks on CBS Sports.com, and four of their prognosticators have us taking Corey Davis, WR, out of Western Michigan. One has us taking Hasaan Reddick, and one gives us Foster. None others mentioned. Your thoughts, everyone?
                      I've gotta believe that Cory Davis refusing to work out for teams is gonna knock him out of the top 20 and maybe even further.....so that means it's either Mike Williams or John Ross if we're looking at WR's.

if it comes down to Foster and Reddick, you'd have to think the big school producer gets the edge....not saying that's right or wrong, that's just usually their m.o...

If for some reason Leonard Fournette is still sitting there when we get on the clock, that's the pick, you can bank on it....doubt he gets past both Jax and Carolina however.

Comment

• I am a proponent of BPA, however, it needs to be supplemented with a strategic free agent plan, good coaching and maximized use of the cap system. Given that we don't really do the last few well or at all, I would prefer if we picked more players that can have an immediate impact - less projects, no injured players. At 9, I would prefer to go with Foster or Reddick as i see LB as a huge need area as well. Both could play from day 1 if ML lets them, cut Rey M (PLEASE!!!!) and move forward with that group.
                        Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

• Originally posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
                          I would prefer if we picked more players that can have an immediate impact - less projects, no injured players. At 9, I would prefer to go with Foster
                          Foster is injuried and concussed after only one year as starter ...

Comment

• Bengals met privately with Ohio State linebacker Raekwon McMillan

nice option in R2...

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/3/18...ekwon-mcmillan

Comment

• I agree completely ... just a question, with same grade: it's better a LB or a DE?

Comment

• Originally posted by #1 italian fan View Post
                                I agree completely ... just a question, with same grade: it's better a LB or a DE?
                                I'd have to go with defensive end. In the NFL, you have to get to the quarterback. DE is a three-down player whereas linebackers vary. Very rare these days to find an all-out disruptive linebacker that does everything and stays on the field for all three downs. I want to say if the grade is 'super-elite' and cannot miss, you still stick with defensive end. Look at what Reggie White did for teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X