OL Ramblings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stryker57 View Post
    actually it was and it has been again. Smith wasnt signed and Ced who played very limited snaps his 1st year and then very little in preseason started game 1. if you dont play many snaps during a live game ( pre or reg season) and you start at RT game 1 you surely didnt earn it. i'd say it was handed to him, and it looks like its happening again this year at LT. hopefully he can manage to stay healthy enough at least take a couple snaps in preseason or them fake games. and they was never going to pay Zeitler, whether they signed Whit or not. ( all they offered was a 1 year deal to a player that once again played at a top level and was a leader That was not a fair deal)
    whit to rams , Zeitler to Browns.
    bengals will be starting a LT with 1 game exp. a RT with 2 games exp a center that played very sub par last year , a LG coming back from injury and RG that mostlikey either be a rookie or a player that didnt play much last year, IMO we better keep McCarron cause the QB will be hit more this year.
    Dude how many times do I have to say this to you... preseason is NOT a measuring stick for a player's ability. Andre Smith not being resigned was a smart move. How well did Smith work out for the Vikings?

Comment

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

preseason at least allows a player to practice his position in a live situation where he can make mistakes and learn from them without costing the team victories..
      you know like he cant handle a simple Defensive maneuver called the bull rush, that to me seems like something to learn before game 1 of the season.
      also allows him to start conditioning his body before game 1, and its the main source of live hitting is allowed since its not allowed as much on the practice field as much anymore.

and yes it is used as a measuring stick, alot of players get cut if they suck. in fact its a better measuring stick then how much they are paid and what round they were drafted.

Comment

All I know is this, Andre Smith would have played better than the 3-headed monster at RT last year. Bengals screwed the pooch once again by being cheap asses with Whit. And of course der fuehrer of disinformation is at his best saying we have only $3 million left to sign anyone b/c $16 million is tied up in LaFell and Dre. That is such bull-shit. Once again, Mike is at his cheap ass ways by not wanting to risk dead money in future years. What the hell, the cap is going up $10 million per year. You can afford to have some dead money. I'm also so sick of this shit of oh well, we will get a 3 and 5 for Whit and Zietler in 2018. Guess what? 2018 players can't play now. Finally, I'm also sick of this attitude that we will only sign cut players instead of restricted free agents b/c we like getting compensatory picks. Once again, those compensatory picks are not players now. We need players NOW. OL is in shambles b/c Mike is a cheap ass and unwilling to pay or get creative. I know success puts you into these situations, but sometimes you have to take risks and deal with potential dead money. We will be bottom feeders especially since the OL will be as about as bad as when Klingler was QB or Blake or Kitna.
        Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Comment

Lots of people want to totally get rid of the preseason, and here we have people that think that playing in the preseason is the measruing stick as to whether a FIRST round draft pick should get to play. This is quite fu cking hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphmtsu View Post
            All I know is this, Andre Smith would have played better than the 3-headed monster at RT last year. Bengals screwed the pooch once again by being cheap asses with Whit. And of course der fuehrer of disinformation is at his best saying we have only $3 million left to sign anyone b/c $16 million is tied up in LaFell and Dre. That is such bull-shit. Once again, Mike is at his cheap ass ways by not wanting to risk dead money in future years. What the hell, the cap is going up $10 million per year. You can afford to have some dead money. I'm also so sick of this shit of oh well, we will get a 3 and 5 for Whit and Zietler in 2018. Guess what? 2018 players can't play now. Finally, I'm also sick of this attitude that we will only sign cut players instead of restricted free agents b/c we like getting compensatory picks. Once again, those compensatory picks are not players now. We need players NOW. OL is in shambles b/c Mike is a cheap ass and unwilling to pay or get creative. I know success puts you into these situations, but sometimes you have to take risks and deal with potential dead money. We will be bottom feeders especially since the OL will be as about as bad as when Klingler was QB or Blake or Kitna.
            I agree completely. Championship window has closed and we're heading into some lean years again.

Comment

Hobson's hogwash every year about how little cap room we have is infuriating. Given overthecap.com's numbers, if he's right that we only have 18 mil to spend then signing rookies, injury pad, etc, should cost about 22 million. I doubt it. There are ten teams with less than 22 million in cap space. And we have the 12 highest amount of cap room.

Of course, management isn't going to want its own website from talking about how rich we are in cap space for leverage reasons in negotiations, so they probably feed him some low figures. And he's been wrong before. We signed Michael Johnson when he thought we had about 8 bucks left to spend.

Or, we plan to to roll a bunch over into next year to gear up for negotiations with Burfict, Hill, Eifert. But if so that's ridiculous. We can easily let Hill walk. Eifert is such an injury question mark that it's unlikely we'll negotiate with him until after this season anyway. And Burfict is too much of an injury and suspension risk to negotiate with him now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
                Dude how many times do I have to say this to you... preseason is NOT a measuring stick for a player's ability. Andre Smith not being resigned was a smart move. How well did Smith work out for the Vikings?
                If he can't get it done in preseason, he's certainly not going to stand up to the regular season talent. Ogbuehi started half the season at RT and couldn't keep Eric Winston on the bench. You think he's going to succeed at LT?

By letting both Zeitler and Whitworth go, the Bengals have just guaranteed themselves a second consecutive losing season.

Comment

So, let me see here...... last season absolutely proved the necessity of a cohesive, talented O-line. Dallas and Atlanta virtually mowed their way through the season due to their offensive fronts.

So, what do the Bengals do? They let their best two linemen leave without any sign of concern or urgency. This is the kind of crap that makes me HATE this franchise! We all know who is behind these maneuverings, don't we? And at the rate that the Stains are going, they are going to eat our lunch twice a year from now until the foreseeable future, and put us in the AFC North cellar where we absolutely belong. Until the clueless, miserly, football DNA deficient, curmudgeon of an owner leaves this mortal plane, we will forever be saddled with a team whose only goal is to fill the stadium eight times a year. Man, do I feel used.

Comment

Wow, what drama. And all because of the loss of a soon to be 36-year old tackle and (until the end of the season) a seldom-mentioned or criticized often guard. To be sure, they are still good players, and replacement will be challenging..but the way you folks go on and on, it's like you crave living in 1993 again.

Players come and go. It happens to every franchise. Welcome to the business world of the NFL. It is also a world full of talented offensive linemen--and I will lol @ anyone who truly believe Andrew Whitworth and Kevin Zeitler are the alpha and omega of these positions.

It is just time to find new linemen--they may already be on the roster, they may soon be--you don't know. But enough of the suicide notes, criminy.
                    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
                      Wow, what drama. And all because of the loss of a soon to be 36-year old tackle and (until the end of the season) a seldom-mentioned or criticized often guard. To be sure, they are still good players, and replacement will be challenging..but the way you folks go on and on, it's like you crave living in 1993 again.

Players come and go. It happens to every franchise. Welcome to the business world of the NFL. It is also a world full of talented offensive linemen--and I will lol @ anyone who truly believe Andrew Whitworth and Kevin Zeitler are the alpha and omega of these positions.

It is just time to find new linemen--they may already be on the roster, they may soon be--you don't know. But enough of the suicide notes, criminy.
                      Go ahead and lol away, but it really is that bad. Sure we can replace Zeitler - I expected that - but there aren't 32 guys on the planet that can play LT in the NFL. That's a fact. We had one of the best. Ced O can't do it, he's shown that. There's nobody left on the FA market, or at least nobody we will sign. And the draft is weak this year for OT. Maybe mediocre for interior guys.

And it's not so much Whit and Z as it is the yearly ineptitude of our front office. The draft, develop and retain philosophy without the retain part. I've never been a believer in high spending in free agency and I've never been prone to over reaction... in fact on this board I've often been more likely to defend our front office's actions. But we won 6 games last year because of the dumb way we handled free agency. And now we're doing even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by bengalfreak View Post
                        If he can't get it done in preseason, he's certainly not going to stand up to the regular season talent. Ogbuehi started half the season at RT and couldn't keep Eric Winston on the bench. You think he's going to succeed at LT?

By letting both Zeitler and Whitworth go, the Bengals have just guaranteed themselves a second consecutive losing season.
                        LT and RT are NOT the same position. Cedric has the type of skill set to be a LT NOT a RT. If you don't already know that, then you don't watch enough NFL.

Comment

This will be a year of running the ball because you don't have a line that has played together. Much like Dalton's first year. We can go to the playoffs but it won't be pretty.

Comment

Welp Winston resigned, that's all of the salary cap gone. See you next year!

Comment

we were only an injury away from these guys having to play anyhow so what's the difference?

throw them out there and see what happens, maybe they'll surprise us.

no reason to just automatically assume it can't possibly work out, at least give 'em a chance for crying out loud.
                              potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
                              QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
                              OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

Originally posted by spicoli View Post
                                we were only an injury away from these guys having to play anyhow so what's the difference?

throw them out there and see what happens, maybe they'll surprise us.

no reason to just automatically assume it can't possibly work out, at least give 'em a chance for crying out loud.
                                Westerman was seen as a value pick for the Bengals who many thought should have been a third rounder or even late second rounder. I want to see what he can do.

5. OG Christian Westerman, Arizona Wildcats
                                Christian WestermanWesterman is probably one of the best prospects that no one is talking about right now, boasting the size, athleticism, and power to play in any scheme. Westerman has one of the better, more evenly distributed frames amongst the 2016 offensive line group, and moves through his zone steps with impressive fluidity. Few prospects in the draft can match Westerman’s technical prowess, both in pass protection and in the run game.

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/0...line-rankings/

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 2 or 3
                                NFL COMPARISON Alex Mack
                                BOTTOM LINE Quick-#twitch, athletic guard who comes from a football family and has been working on his strength and athleticism from a young age. Offensive line coaches will appreciate Westerman's technical savvy and zone scheme teams will covet his fluidity and blocking ability on the move. A move to center is not out of the question thanks to his body type and quickness and his draft stock may be helped by a potential ability to offer roster depth at several offensive line positions.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profil...man?id=2555131

Analysis
                                Westerman is an outstanding athlete with rare raw power, he just needs to get better at using it. A lower pad level and better hand placement in the run game could turn Westerman into a destroyer at the next level, but his technique as a whole is generally very sound. The Arizona State guard thrives in space, hitting targets on the move with regularity and showing impressive patience to mirror second-level defenders rather than lunge at his mark. In pass protection the dude is a brick wall, shutting down power rushers with his stout punch and immovable anchor. Can he keep his feet active enough to mirror quicker interior defensive lineman in the NFL, especially in sub-packages? All the tools, smarts and technique are there for Westerman to thrive in zone or gap schemes early on in his career, potentially at every offensive line position if a team wants to eventually see him at center. I’ve long considered Westerman one of the more underrated and under-appreciated prospects in the 2016 class, and teams would be wise to nab him by the end of the second round come April 29.

Grade: 2nd Round

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/0...ian-westerman/

The Bengals got him in the 5th round. Let's see what he can do.

Comment

Working...
                                X