OL Ramblings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OL Ramblings

The OL went from one of the best to very suspect in the course of a year. Now, we have two linemen who are free agents. Oh, BTW, they just happen to be our two best OL. It is most likely that they will lose Zeitler could very well lose Whitworth. What makes the free agency situation so bad is that the Bengals will do the predicatable thing-- target the older vet while letting the younger, more productive player leave simply b/c they are unwilling to pay to keep him. If I were the Bengals, I would have tagged Zeitler and let Whit test the market. Why prioritize Whit over Zeitler? Of course, I'd want them both back, and I know there are other players who are priorities, but the OL simply can't lose 2 of its best players.

Let's split the difference and say Whit resigns (which is probably the most realistic scenario). What does the OL look like? We know Ogbuey is a bust (at least on the right side). We essentially have no right tackle. Remember, we cycled Fisher and Winston in there quite often. With Zeitler gone, who is the right guard? Bodine is serviceable at best as center, and we could really look to upgrade there. Mangold anyone (even if for 1 or 2 years)? Boiling seems to be the only stable starter in my opinion at left guard. Which brings us to left tackle. Is it Whit? Is it Ogbuey (or however you spell his name).

From my perspective, we have question marks at 4 of the 5 OL positions, and right guard is the biggest glaring hole we have. Here's what things could look like.

LT Ogbuey
    LG Whit
    C Bodine or Mangold
    RG Boiling or some undetermined player
    RT Fisher

None of that instills any confidence in me. What makes matters worse is that they most likely will keep Whit and move him to guard. Why? Anyone think Ogbuey could move inside to guard? I don't think he has the body type to play inside. All the more reason to consider him a bust.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

I think Cedric O's only chance is as a LT. The line's a mess. It's something they'd better put a plan together to address.

Comment

Rumor is some teams are talking to Mangold and asking if he is willing to play guard... and we know for a fact the Bengals have talked to him, so maybe they are one of the teams that asked him. Could they be trying to replace Zeitler with Mangold and leave Bodine at center? I'm curious to see what Westerman can do to be quite honest with you. The best lineup would be Ogbuehi at LT, Whit at LG, Mangold at Center, Boling at RG, and Fisher at RT. They will resign Winston because he is cheap, and they already tendered TJ Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphmtsu View Post
        All the more reason to consider him a bust.
        so the dude has never had an off-season with the team and has made just a handful of starts and he's already considered a bust?

rough crowd.

Dre Kirkpatrick got off to pretty much the same kind of start in his Bengal career, is he considered a "bust" as well?
        Last edited by spicoli; 03-07-2017, 11:07 AM.
        potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
        QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
        OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

Chargers are cutting DJ Fluker... he could be one of those reclamation projects that Alexander likes.

Comment

I never liked the Ced O pick to begin with. I thought it was a reach.

Originally posted by spicoli View Post
            so the dude has never had an off-season with the team and has made just a handful of starts and he's already considered a bust?

rough crowd.

Dre Kirkpatrick got off to pretty much the same kind of start in his Bengal career, is he considered a "bust" as well?
            Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Comment

And the Bengals tender TJ Johnson 1.8M/yr after 121 career offensive snaps over 3 years. To compare Eric Winston earned 1.1M for 282 snaps last year. This is for a guy who is a backup.. behind Bodine. To me this is a sign that they plan to go with Westerman at RG who had all of zero offensive snaps in 2016 and have TJ back up both spots. So we'll have Westerman and whoever starting the year on the right side. Hang on.. it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Comment

This smells a lot like 'we will go with what we have' which, in Bengal Land usually stinks. There was some talk that they would sign Andre Smith as well. Regardless, looks like a mess going forward as I have zero confidence the brilliant OL coach can put together the young guys and the scrubs currently on the roster.
                Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

Oh enough of this. People here were bellyaching in 2015 when they supposedly were one of the top lines around. The same people will bellyache regardless of what they do.

And sorry, but lol @ this annual Whitworth to guard chant. He is still one of the top TACKLES in the game.
                  "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
                    Oh enough of this. People here were bellyaching in 2015 when they supposedly were one of the top lines around. The same people will bellyache regardless of what they do.

And sorry, but lol @ this annual Whitworth to guard chant. He is still one of the top TACKLES in the game.
                    He moved to guard at the end of last year so that Cedric could play LT and Fisher could play RT. It's not an imaginary thing.

Comment

for 1 game and ced wasnt very good

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker57 View Post
                        for 1 game and ced wasnt very good
                        Sorry but he isn't going to get any better sitting on the bench. They invested a first round choice in him and he needs the chance to prove himself and get better.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
                          He moved to guard at the end of last year so that Cedric could play LT and Fisher could play RT. It's not an imaginary thing.
                          Yes Lew, you are correct. He also moved to LG a few years back when Boling was hurt--and actually did a great job. There is no question he can do it. However my statement stands: why would want your best asset at a key position to play a less key position?
                          "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
                            Yes Lew, you are correct. He also moved to LG a few years back when Boling was hurt--and actually did a great job. There is no question he can do it. However my statement stands: why would want your best asset at a key position to play a less key position?
                            Because like even Whit has been quoted as saying, you do what it takes to get your 5 best lineman on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
                              Because like even Whit has been quoted as saying, you do what it takes to get your 5 best lineman on the field.
                              If that is the case then they need to sign both Whit and Zietler, because they were our 2 best last season.
                              Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

Working...
                              X