X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ralphmtsu
    started a topic OL Ramblings

OL Ramblings

The OL went from one of the best to very suspect in the course of a year. Now, we have two linemen who are free agents. Oh, BTW, they just happen to be our two best OL. It is most likely that they will lose Zeitler could very well lose Whitworth. What makes the free agency situation so bad is that the Bengals will do the predicatable thing-- target the older vet while letting the younger, more productive player leave simply b/c they are unwilling to pay to keep him. If I were the Bengals, I would have tagged Zeitler and let Whit test the market. Why prioritize Whit over Zeitler? Of course, I'd want them both back, and I know there are other players who are priorities, but the OL simply can't lose 2 of its best players.

Let's split the difference and say Whit resigns (which is probably the most realistic scenario). What does the OL look like? We know Ogbuey is a bust (at least on the right side). We essentially have no right tackle. Remember, we cycled Fisher and Winston in there quite often. With Zeitler gone, who is the right guard? Bodine is serviceable at best as center, and we could really look to upgrade there. Mangold anyone (even if for 1 or 2 years)? Boiling seems to be the only stable starter in my opinion at left guard. Which brings us to left tackle. Is it Whit? Is it Ogbuey (or however you spell his name).

From my perspective, we have question marks at 4 of the 5 OL positions, and right guard is the biggest glaring hole we have. Here's what things could look like.

LT Ogbuey
    LG Whit
    C Bodine or Mangold
    RG Boiling or some undetermined player
    RT Fisher

None of that instills any confidence in me. What makes matters worse is that they most likely will keep Whit and move him to guard. Why? Anyone think Ogbuey could move inside to guard? I don't think he has the body type to play inside. All the more reason to consider him a bust.

• I_C_DeadPeople
    replied
    I think this article sums it up nicely:

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/5/16...lacements-2018

Leave a comment:

• BlazerBenner
    replied
    Originally posted by Super Cat View Post
    If you just want a blocker, then you get a lineman.
    Then why didn't they, instead of signing Smith and Winston?

Leave a comment:

• Le Tigre
    replied
    Good Lord.

Leave a comment:

• Maldez
    replied
    Anthony's coming out of retirement and at age 58 will be better than anybody on the line.

Leave a comment:

• Super Cat
    replied
    If you just want a blocker, then you get a lineman.

Leave a comment:

• Pre_hungover
    replied
    Originally posted by BlazerBenner View Post
    Because they all suck at pass-blocking, including Hewitt. Duh! Anyone who believes otherwise is living in fantasyland.
    Yeah, but I remember some guy named Jermaine Greshem being a horrid blocker for years and then out of nowhere *POP!* "Whoa! Daylight!"

Leave a comment:

• BlazerBenner
    replied
    Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
    And if having Barnidge in just to pass block, why not just use an extra tackle?
    Because they all suck at pass-blocking, including Hewitt. Duh! Anyone who believes otherwise is living in fantasyland.

Leave a comment:

• Lewdog
    replied
    Originally posted by spicoli View Post
    which is exactly what they'd do.
    Yeah they would just kick Fisher outside and make him tackle eligible... I mean why give Barnidge veteran TE money just to basically use him as a pass blocker? Makes no sense.

Leave a comment:

• spicoli
    replied
    Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
    which is exactly what they'd do.

Leave a comment:

• Lewdog
    replied
    Originally posted by spicoli View Post
    lol, love the hyperbole.

no way Barnidge is coming to a team trying to get younger across the board.

Leave a comment:

• spicoli
    replied
    Dalton is going to get killed.

Barnidge would buy him the time to make the deep throws, of which he was the best in the NFL last season with Whitworth and Zeitler pass-blocking for him.
    lol, love the hyperbole.

no way Barnidge is coming to a team trying to get younger across the board.

Leave a comment:

• BlazerBenner
    replied
    Dalton is going to get killed.

Barnidge would buy him the time to make the deep throws, of which he was the best in the NFL last season with Whitworth and Zeitler pass-blocking for him.

Leave a comment:

• yang
    replied
    Most everything I propose has little chance of happening. It's a fantasy to believe Mike Brown would do the most common sense things to improve the team. I even make it easy for him, only proposing low cost, low risk, with high reward proposals. Once in a blue moon,...well, more like two blue moons have to pass, he does one of my suggestions, like the hiring of Zimmer I proposed two years before it happened. Mike Brown only takes baby steps. Duke Tobin has to have the patience of Jobe. Wouldn't be surprised if his Christened name is that of Jobe.
    Yeah, the reality is having read the story Job was the least patient person I've run across. As God spent 30 chapters torturing him all he did was cry and moan and whine and scream about it, hahaha. soB is more like Sisyphus forever rolling the rock up the hill never to reach a playoff victory.

As for Barnridge, the reason we didn't take Howard was the huge investment we've made in young TE's the last couple years already. I think they have underperformed due to injury and experience which bringing in a vet would hinder anyway. We are definitely going younger and faster.

Leave a comment:

• BlazerBenner
    replied
    From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Free agent Gary Barnidge has "possible future visits" with the Jaguars and Panthers.

Barnidge visited the Bills on Wednesday and will pause to attend the Kentucky Derby this weekend. (He's a Louisville guy.) Landing in Jacksonville would probably give Barnidge his best shot at a meaningful number of 2017 targets. He would play behind Charles Clay in Buffalo and Greg Olsen in Carolina.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Leave a comment:

Working...
X