No announcement yet.

Bengals Free Agency Comings and Goings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he wants to make a million more, and go play for a crap team in an ancient overused dump in the suburbs of South Central, then what can you say? It speaks more for his desire to have that extra guaranteed year 2 than it does about loyalty or desire to "compete for a Super Bowl". This is the low down dirty fact of unrestricted free agency--nothing is ever what it seems. I won't say anything good or bad about his decision--he made it. He'll live with it (and pretty damn comfortably too I would reckon).
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

Lol...and now Zeitler goes to Cleveland and becomes the highest paid G in league history.

gotta love it!
      potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
      QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
      OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

Originally posted by spicoli View Post
        Lol...and now Zeitler goes to Cleveland and becomes the highest paid G in league history.

gotta love it!
        We will 'Go with what we have'. Luckily, we all have unwavering confidence in our OL coach to coach up the young guys.
        Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

Well I'm guessing that the Bengals get 2 3rd round compensatory picks next year.

Comment

Well....

Dalton better buy some larger sums of health insurance.

In all honesty what this means is, the Bengals need to quit letting guys get into the final years of their contracts. They need to make sure they make reasonable offers for contract extensions when a guy still has a year to go. That's the only way they are going to be able to keep good players and not lose them to huge contracts like they did with Zeitler.

Kirkpatrick signed back for FIVE years btw.

Comment

The Dre signing should be offset partially with cutting Pacman.

I agree on the 'not letting guys get to the final year'. For so many years we ignored the OL, when we finally started to build some depth we let the best young one go. Frankly, we should have let Boling go and signed Zeitler last year instead. Poorly managed that situation. The Whit loss i can live with simply because of his age, we are going to find out toot sweet if Ced can play or not.

Comment

What a strange deal the Browns made with the Texans for Brock Osweiller

Comment

Originally posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
                  The Dre signing should be offset partially with cutting Pacman.
                  oh that contract for Kirk is the end of Pacman for sure....it might not happen until June 1st cuts, but he's a goner.

probably kiss Rey M goodbye on June 1st as well because I guarantee they're going to be drafting a LB in the first 2 rounds.

Comment

Did you know Mantei T'eo is a free agent? Wow how time flies.

Comment

Originally posted by puddycat View Post
                      Well I'm guessing that the Bengals get 2 3rd round compensatory picks next year.
                      Not for Whitworth. Some weird rule about teams not getting higher than a 5 for 10-year+ veterans leaving. Has some name for it, but I am too lazy to look it up.
                      "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

stole this from a friend, I think he makes some excellent points...

You'll hear people say that if you draft well, it's tough to keep everyone when they hit FA. Some will dispute that, but the Bengals 2012 draft class is a pretty good example of why drafting well makes it tough to keep all your guys#guys when they hit FA.#

Here's our notable picks from the 2012 draft and how much money they're making per year:

1st- Dre Kirkpatrick ($10M?)

1st- Kevin Zeitler ($12M)

3rd- Mohamed Sanu ($6.5M)

5th- Marvin Jones ($8M)

5th- George Iloka ($6M)

Undrafted- Vontaze Burfict ($6M, soon to be $10M+)

As of today, those guys are making over $50M combined. It will likely go up to closer to $55M later this summer when Burfict gets his big money extension.

Also worth noting the 2011 draft class right before this one are making over $36M combined and Bengals were able to keep them all.

1st-AJ Green ($15M)

2nd- Andy Dalton ($16M)

4th- Clint Boling ($5M)

When you string together good drafts like the Bengals did back in the 2009-2013 range, you can't afford to shell out $30-50M every offseason for 2nd and 3rd contracts when those guys hit FA.

Comment

Originally posted by spicoli View Post
                          they offered him $11mil...that means he took one extra mil to run off and play on a team that has no shot at winning anything while he's there under contract.
                          Or he could have taken $1M less to stay and play for a team that has no shot at winning anything while he's here under contract. Also, it isn't 20 degrees in December in LA.

Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
                          Did you know Mantei T'eo is a free agent? Wow how time flies.
                          Hard to believe it has been 5 years since his girlfriend died.

Comment

Originally posted by TD Bengals View Post
                            Or he could have taken $1M less to stay and play for a team that has no shot at winning anything while he's here under contract. Also, it isn't 20 degrees in December in LA.

Hard to believe it has been 5 years since his girlfriend died.
                            Yeah that's fine, I'm cool with it

Comment

Zeitler........wasn't worth the highest contract for a guard. Zeitler is above-average. He's not Hall-of-Fame talent though. Good work ethic, DeCastro in Pittsburgh seems to be better based on my perception. I could be wrong. Good luck playing for sucky Cleveland. I've never seen a team have one guard rally the team to a Super Bowl.

Whitworth......what a loser. He signed with the Rams because he's still ticked off about the Bengals drafting Ogbuehi and Fisher. Great player, but it seems he's chasing a pay-day. He could have signed with the Patriots, Steelers, or other contenders in search of a championship. He'll play with a terrible Rams team and probably be let go before he sees any of that money.

The next two free agents we have are Burfict and Eifert. In my opinion, Burfict isn't worth the headache and should be thrown to the curb like Pac Man jones. Eifert is Mr. Glass and should receive a HUGE paycheck based on incentives. If anything, I'd trade him now to get some picks.

The Browns traded for Osweiler. The Texans receive salary cap relief. The Browns get a second-round pick and the opportunity to trade Osweiler to another team at a reduced salary. It's a weird win-win-win situation. The Browns will either trade or cut Osweiler.

Comment

Whit figured if Marvin keeps signing he should just go after the money because he isn't getting the ring

Comment

Working...
                                X