No announcement yet.

Bengals Free Agency Comings and Goings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok.....I would have had rather signed both Whitworth and Zeitler than keep Kirkpatrick at $54 million.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
      Karlos Dansby is leaving to go back to the Cardinals... that should tell you something about the atmosphere in the Bengals locker room and behind the scenes. Dansby pleaded to come here, saying the Bengals were poised for something great... however once he got here and saw what was REALLY going on, he's gone. Not a word out of him about it. That tells me that the Bengals behind the scenes are a joke like we fans think it is.
      Karlos is no longer worth the shot and powder to blow him down the street. If that wasn't evident enough last season, then I don't know what to tell you. He isn't here any longer, because he has nothing left.

But be sure to think the Russians had something to do with it, as that is about as likely as your theories.
      "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

So I'm pretty sick about what has transpired but let me throw out a scenario that could be halfway realistic, given management's ineptitude.

Let's say we sign Nick Mangold, Rex Burkhead, Eric Winston and Domata Peko. And we don't cut either Maualuga or Jones. That's all feasible. And assume no McCarron trade.

I went to the fanspeak on the clock tool again for another mock draft, using the CBS big board. Bear in mind it assumes all teams draft from the same board, so in the real draft there should be better options at each pick. I could see us doing something like this:

1. Jonathan Allen (Fournette and S. Thomas were still there but no way that happens in the real draft so I ignored it).
        2. Dion Dawkins, T/G, Temple. (I've watched some of his tape and I tell you he can play OT, maybe even LT).
        3. Tyus Bowser, SLB, Houston.
        4a. Ahkello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado
        4b. Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M
        5a. Noah Brown, WR, Ohio State (comments, Bucks fans?)
        5b. Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State
        6a. Elijah McGuire, RB, UL Lafayette
        6b. Dylan Donahue, SLB, West Georgia
        7a. Levon Jones, OT, Northern Illinois (a reach but had to do it)
        7b. D.J. Jones, DT, Ole Miss

Would that be so bad? Ok, yes, it would still stink. OL would still suck and we'd be painfully slow at LB.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
          Karlos is no longer worth the shot and powder to blow him down the street. If that wasn't evident enough last season, then I don't know what to tell you. He isn't here any longer, because he has nothing left.

But be sure to think the Russians had something to do with it, as that is about as likely as your theories.
          Not so fast there hoss. Dansby led the LBer corp in snaps last year and led the team in tackles. Not bad for a guy you say isn't worth a shit. Fact of the matter is, before he signed with the Bengals last year you couldn't catch him saying a bad thing about the team, and was praising how close they were to being a Championship team. One year later of playing for the franchise, and he's all of a sudden quiet and moving on to play for the Cardinals. No conspiracy theories needed... it's truth.

Comment

Of course you did notice, as the season began to close, Vigil on the field more and more? Snaps can mean anything--like no one else available to play a position or certain defense's. Rey M has led this team in tackles.

Karlos was brought in as a stop-gap, and with the belief he could still display his historic main skill: coverage. That never materialized. What he said coming in here, and hasn't said leaving, is of no consequence. The Bengals decided Vigil is ready, and will draft other LB's. Thanks, Karlos, for giving it your best shot. It's business, nothing more.
            "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
              Of course you did notice, as the season began to close, Vigil on the field more and more? Snaps can mean anything--like no one else available to play a position or certain defense's. Rey M has led this team in tackles.

Karlos was brought in as a stop-gap, and with the belief he could still display his historic main skill: coverage. That never materialized. What he said coming in here, and hasn't said leaving, is of no consequence. The Bengals decided Vigil is ready, and will draft other LB's. Thanks, Karlos, for giving it your best shot. It's business, nothing more.
              Of course Vigil was on the field more, the team wasn't going to make the playoffs and some of the young guys needed to start getting some real game experience. If Dansby REALLY thought the team was still what he thought it was before he came to Cincy he would have lobbied to stay, even in a back up role at a low contract amount just to win a ring. He didn't, at all... seriously, for someone that posts some of the conspiracy theory type things you do here, to totally blow off what I'm saying is nonsense... tells me you are either in denial, or you don't have a defense for what I'm saying so you just come up with the most lame defense possible, that it's just a conspiracy theory.

Comment

Oh you think you're mad now...

I just read an article the Bengals only have $2-3 MILLION left "budgeted" for free agents, and they have only signed TWO guys and those were their own. How the fu ck are they supposed to compete when other teams are filling their rosters and the Bengals are just letting guys go every year??? Then stock piling comp picks that Marvin won't let play until the last year of their contract???

Gawd damn I'm so ####ing pissed right now... $2-3 Million isn't even enough to sign back Burkhead and Winston, let alone sign Mangold. WTF!!!

Comment

Oh you think you're mad now...

I just read an article the Bengals only have $2-3 MILLION left "budgeted" for free agents, and they have only signed TWO guys and those were their own. How the fu ck are they supposed to compete when other teams are filling their rosters and the Bengals are just letting guys go every year??? Then stock piling comp picks that Marvin won't let play until the last year of their contract???

Gawd damn I'm so ####ing pissed right now... $2-3 Million isn't even enough to sign back Burkhead and Winston, let alone sign Mangold. WTF!!!
                  Yeah, so I have a theory on that. It all comes from Hobson, and he's pushing out the figures management is telling him. And they're telling him that because they don't want their own website advertising how much cap room they have to negotiate with, as that reduces their leverage in negotiations. I distinctly remember Hobson saying we were out of money just days before we signed Michael Johnson. We "dipped into next year's roll over" to do it. Fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengali View Post
                    So I'm pretty sick about what has transpired but let me throw out a scenario that could be halfway realistic, given management's ineptitude.

Let's say we sign Nick Mangold, Rex Burkhead, Eric Winston and Domata Peko. And we don't cut either Maualuga or Jones. That's all feasible. And assume no McCarron trade.

I went to the fanspeak on the clock tool again for another mock draft, using the CBS big board. Bear in mind it assumes all teams draft from the same board, so in the real draft there should be better options at each pick. I could see us doing something like this:

1. Jonathan Allen (Fournette and S. Thomas were still there but no way that happens in the real draft so I ignored it).
                    2. Dion Dawkins, T/G, Temple. (I've watched some of his tape and I tell you he can play OT, maybe even LT).
                    3. Tyus Bowser, SLB, Houston.
                    4a. Ahkello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado
                    4b. Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M
                    5a. Noah Brown, WR, Ohio State (comments, Bucks fans?)
                    5b. Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State
                    6a. Elijah McGuire, RB, UL Lafayette
                    6b. Dylan Donahue, SLB, West Georgia
                    7a. Levon Jones, OT, Northern Illinois (a reach but had to do it)
                    7b. D.J. Jones, DT, Ole Miss

Would that be so bad? Ok, yes, it would still stink. OL would still suck and we'd be painfully slow at LB.
                    so that was supposed to be a "realistic scenario" given management tendencies. Here's what I would see as a better scenario, more like what I would do given where we're at now:

Cut Maualuga and Jones.
                    Sign Mangold, Burkhead, Winston and Connor Barwin to play SLB for us (if he cuts down to 255 lbs or so I think he's a fine fit; say he, Vigil and Burfict are 3 starters, V Rey, Dawson and Flowers are 3 backups, and we draft 1-2 LBs). Maybe Gilberry or some other vet DE like Eugene Sims. If they really want to re-sign Peko to mentor Billings then fine, but cut Pat Sims.

This time I'm using Draftek's most recent 7 round mock as a hypothetical:

1. Jonathan Allen or Derek Barnett
                    2. Dion Dawkins, T/G Temple (I'll be stumping for him all the way to the draft)
                    3. TreDavious White, CB, LSU (hard to see him there but some good CB will be there at 73).
                    4a. Jaleel Johnson, DT, Iowa
                    4b. Julien Davenport, OT, Bucknell (Winston's successor; but i'm more concerned about OL than it sounds like the Bengals are)
                    5a. Brian Hill, RB, Wyoming
                    5b. Marquel Lee, LB, Wake Forest
                    6a. Zane Gonzalez, K, AZ State
                    6b. Nick Deluca, LB, ND State
                    7a. Jehu Chesson, WR, Michigan
                    7b. Jonnu Smith, TE, Florida International

Comment

Originally posted by spicoli View Post
                      OR....If the Bengals offer 4 more million guaranteed, he likely stays......this was all about the $$ plain and simple, Rams have no shot at winning anything over the next two years.
                      Yes it was for the money. If he thought we would win the ring he would have stayed. No hope either place, so take the money. Same with Zeitler, but there is a difference. He is with a real coach who has a chance of building a team quickly with cap room and high draft picks, 5 in first 65 picks.

Comment

You can forget signing anymore free agents. The Bengals said they had only $2-3 million left to spend, and they just resigned Winston. Free agency is over for the Bengals.

Comment

I don't get it. The Eagles only had:

Team Salary Cap: $179,508,262
                          Team Cap Space: $12,843,493

Yet they were able to sign:

Agreed to terms with WR Torrey Smith on a three-year contract and WR Alshon Jeffery and G Chance Warmack on one-year contracts.

That's three pretty big name free agents.

The Bengals have:

Bengals
                          Cap Space: $36,550,539 60 $174,123,066 $137,214,997 $357,530

And they sign Brandon LaFell, Dre Krikpatrick, and Eric Winston, and they say they are out of cap money.

WTF!!!! How is this possible?!!? This team is so fu cking frustrating!

Comment

I don't get it. The Eagles only had:

Team Salary Cap: $179,508,262
                            Team Cap Space: $12,843,493

Yet they were able to sign:

Agreed to terms with WR Torrey Smith on a three-year contract and WR Alshon Jeffery and G Chance Warmack on one-year contracts.

That's three pretty big name free agents.

The Bengals have:

Bengals
                            Cap Space: $36,550,539 60 $174,123,066 $137,214,997 $357,530

And they sign Brandon LaFell, Dre Krikpatrick, and Eric Winston, and they say they are out of cap money.

WTF!!!! How is this possible?!!? This team is so fu cking frustrating!
                            They are nowhere near 'out of cap money'. They are near their 'budget' for cap money allocated for free agents which was $18M tops which means they were only capable of signing one significant player and one middle of the road guy. If anyone was unclear that this is strictly a business to Mikey, please read this thread again. We never spend to the cap to help the team to win, we never defer any future cap monies to help the team to win, we never go get high end free agents to help the team win, we never replace lethargic coaches to help the team win. We draft reasonably well but only re-sign some of those players, we don't cut our personnel mistakes for fear of the cap hit, we don't supplement the roster with trades or even more than 1 or 2 middle of the road players. In short, all designed to earn at least a $20M profit annually. This is about making money and do things to try and win a championship gets in the way of that so will never be done.
                            Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

Originally posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
                              They are nowhere near 'out of cap money'. They are near their 'budget' for cap money allocated for free agents which was $18M tops which means they were only capable of signing one significant player and one middle of the road guy. If anyone was unclear that this is strictly a business to Mikey, please read this thread again. We never spend to the cap to help the team to win, we never defer any future cap monies to help the team to win, we never go get high end free agents to help the team win, we never replace lethargic coaches to help the team win. We draft reasonably well but only re-sign some of those players, we don't cut our personnel mistakes for fear of the cap hit, we don't supplement the roster with trades or even more than 1 or 2 middle of the road players. In short, all designed to earn at least a $20M profit annually. This is about making money and do things to try and win a championship gets in the way of that so will never be done.
                              I posted on another forum, the Carolina Panthers were $26.5 million under the cap. They have signed THIRTEEN players including Charles Johnson, Kewan Short, Matt Khalil, Julius Peppers, and Mike Adams.

The Bengals have sign LaFell, Winston, and Kirkpatrick. WTF?!!?!?
                              Last edited by Lewdog; 03-10-2017, 06:16 PM.

Comment

I posted on another forum, the Carolina Panthers were $26.5 million under the cap. They have signed THIRTEEN players including Charles Johnson, Kewan Short, Matt Khalil, Julius Peppers, and Mike Adams.

The Bengals have sign LaFell, Winson, and Kirkpatrick. WTF?!!?!?
                                It is pathetic. Not even the old mantra of 'we sign our own' is holding up. We have lost 3 starting OL in 12 months. The good news is we can already write the season off, no doubt the Browns will pass us in the division. Oh yeah, and a lame duck year for the Clapping Clown..lol
                                Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

Working...
                                X