No announcement yet.

Bengals Free Agency Comings and Goings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out with old, in with the new. Now that Whitworth and Peko is gone can we see Marvin, Rey and Jones go too. Add Sims and Johnson to. Don't sign any UFA from last years roster. Maybe sign Burkhead.
    Your new leaders are respected Atkins and Dunlap on defense and respected Dalton and Green on offense. You then have a team that knows nothing but winning outside of last year.
    According to Over The Cap website we are still $27,631,164 under the cap. http://overthecap.com/calculator/cincinnati-bengals
    We have a chance to still pick up free agents. I really like to see us get Hightower but that is a pipe dream because New England will sign him still and I like to see us sign Lang. If we can sign those two. We have lost nothing in free agency.
    We still have a talented young team Billing should make our DL better than Peko. To me we only need LBer and hope the young OL comes through. With year under their belt I believe the receivers get better. Two thing can hold Bengals back OL and coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
      A serious question, followed by the predictable 90's era ingrained response: check.
      What was the serious question? How do we replace 'leaders' who helped this team play so well in 4 straight playoff losses. I recall both players playing poorly (as the team did) in all those losses not to mention all the critical game losses. Both of these guys, with all due respect for them as people, were part of the problem not the solution. They were part of the "we need to be better next time and we will" crowd that fills this organization. This whole organization lacks leadership, if you cannot see that you are blind. Leadership in successful organizations comes from the top down not the bottom up. Teams like the Pats and Steelers measure success by wins and championships, Mikey measures it in dollars. It is plain and it is simple. Mikey has not provided a single shred of evidence that he cares about being anything other than 'moderately competitive'. So until he and ML are gone, it does not matter who our 'leaders' are.
      Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

Broncos sign DT Domata Peko (2 years, $7.5 million): D Grade
        Any team that believes Domata Peko is worth anything more than the veteran minimum hasn't watched him play football over the past few seasons. Peko used to be a solid defender, but he has regressed into a practice squad-caliber player now that he's well into his 30s.

It'll be shocking if Peko even has one good game for the Broncos. That's how bad he's been for Cincinnati. Peko does nothing well anymore, so giving him more than $3 million per season seems utterly ridiculous. I don't think I'd even give him $3 per game.
        Read more at http://walterfootball.com/freeagents...03zrRyCvwp8.99

Comment

Whoa, Furn...relax. No offense intended. Yours was a heartfelt statement, and I get what you are trying to say...remember, I went through the '90's too.

But, what I was saying was: move on if it bothers you that much. I am not Dr. Phil, so no couch advice here, but life is too short to engage in something which causes pain or angst. There is no real gain by doing it--trust one like me who finally discovered it.

More than a few years ago, after finally figuring out that--as Sam so famously said below--this game/league isn't worth it. I no longer care what anyone in this nonsense entertainment vehicle does or doesn't do...I am completely divorced from it emotionally. And this has been a total 180 from where I was one time. Lima loves to taunt me on this, but when I am asked "why do you bother to go to games/watch on the Telly/etc.?", I can honestly say that I just enjoy the game for what it is: an entertainment event. Sure, I want my selected favorite for entertainment to win the contests, but there is--for me anyway--more to it than losing sleep over something I have no control over anyway.

But look, that's me...I certainly do not mean it is for everyone. Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

We cool, Tiger Man, we cool.

Yea, I sort of misinterpreted where you was comin' from. The man just gets to me. I was raised on this club and I guess I expect everyone else to have the same passion that I possess. I'm also big on truth. I absolutely hate to be lied to, and I just wish that Mikey would cut the bull_hit and be honest on why he do what he do.

I have been overheard down through the years as promising to dance a jig on the man's grave after he goes. That promise is still valid.

Comment

The only hope we have for any level of success with this club lies with Katie. Once Mikey is gone, we will have to see if she is like him or if she has a desire to win. Mikey possess no desire to win.

Comment

The Browns offensive lines have, in recent years, been fairly solid. That isn't their problem on offense: it is meager RB's, no WR's (even worse now with TP heading off), and (obviously) no one under center. Their defense is also a disaster. So all of this talk of their "trending up" is amusing. ESPN will no doubt crown them the Kings of Free Agency (which they have won before).
              The Browns OL hasn't been all that great. They let Alex Mack go last year and replaced him with Cam Erving, another high draft pick who has been a complete disaster for them. I forgot to mention they signed Kenny Britt and TP was originally trying to get $14 mill/year and finally settled for $8 mill/year with Washington.
              "She's a Browns fan. She doesn't know anything about the playoffs." Chuck Todd referring to Kelly O'Donnell on "Meet the Press"

"The Browns are so low in national esteem that they troll the football equivalent of the thermal vents at the bottom of the Marianas Trench in the Pacific. This is the deepest point on the surface of the earth. Strange creatures live there and also in Berea." Bill Livingston-The Plain Dealer

Comment

Originally posted by furnbuff View Post
                The Bengals own website only lists the two. Joiner and Munoz.
                Doesn't matter. There is no doubt whatsoever the other two were with the Bengals, and in the case of Bill Walsh, he might not have been a Hall of Famer had he not developed the West Coast Offense in Cincinnati.

Comment

With Whitworth and Domata gone, who becomes the soul and leader of the locker room and practice field? Not sure those guys are there now.
                  From the mouth of the playoff losing clapping clown:

Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis made it clear on Friday: The torch had been passed. With longtime Bengals left tackle Andrew Whitworth leaving in free agency, Lewis said the team is now in the hands of quarterback Andy Dalton.

Our new fearless leader is none other than the choke under pressure QB. Good news all around.

Comment

Connor Barwin coming in for a visit... or course they are about 3 years a little late on getting him.

Comment

• He is still only 30, and has 50.5 career sacks in 7 seasons. A natural 4-3 end, who can bend the corner. We could use one of these. Not the alpha and omega of course, but what's not to like?
                      "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

• Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
                        He is still only 30, and has 50.5 career sacks in 7 seasons. A natural 4-3 end, who can bend the corner. We could use one of these. Not the alpha and omega of course, but what's not to like?
                        He's only played in a 4-3 defense one year in his career, which was last year and the worst year statistically of his career.

On another note, Burkhead is visiting the Patriots today... if they sign him and he turns into the next Danny Woodhead, this board might implode.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
                          He's only played in a 4-3 defense one year in his career, which was last year and the worst year statistically of his career.

On another note, Burkhead is visiting the Patriots today... if they sign him and he turns into the next Danny Woodhead, this board might implode.
                          No shit, it was quite obvious to all of us here that Burkhead was very under utilized in our offense, especially when the stubbornly stayed with Hill when he was sucking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
                            Connor Barwin coming in for a visit... or course they are about 3 years a little late on getting him.
                            lol, it's not like he's some old washed up bum.

I'm guessing if he signs here it will be to fill the Gilberry role.
                            potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
                            QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
                            OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

• Bengals waived James Wright...damn I was so looking forward to the Hobs article on him being the second coming.

Comment

• we need to re name this thread bengals free agency goings, cause as we know there aint gonna be much comings

Comment

Working...
                                X