Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bengals Free Agency Comings and Goings

We need a thread for this.

Sandwedge noted a re-signing of LaFell in another thread.

That is a good thing. And whatnot.

Keep it coming, folks.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

They seriously overpaid for lafell. $5M a year? Geez, use the money for Zietler. More personnel mismanagement
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

Guess I am missing the part about retaining a solid #2 WR, who had a very good 2016, for market price.

Zeitler is gone...and always has been. Only idiots like Jacksonville are going to pay a guard $12 million.
      "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
        Guess I am missing the part about retaining a solid #2 WR, who had a very good 2016, for market price.

Zeitler is gone...and always has been. Only idiots like Jacksonville are going to pay a guard $12 million.
        You mean idiots like the Steelers that pay their best OL $10M per year?

I don't see Lafell as a very good second receiver. We were willing to pay $8M for Marvin Jones, so go out and find a better one. The Lafell signing is the same as the signing of Rey M - overpaid to re-sign a 'comfortable' below average player. Yawn, same old Bengals.

Comment

The Bengals were optimistic they could re-sign offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth. But they won’t.

Whitworth plans to sign with the Rams today on a three-year deal worth a total of $36 million with $15 million guaranteed and $13 million coming in the first year of the contract.

That puts Whitworth on one of the worst offenses in the league — unless he can be part of a turnaround effort led by new head coach Sean McVay. The 35-year-old Whitworth has started all 16 games the last three years, and he’s a well-respected veteran who was a team captain. His absence will be a loss in Cincinnati.

More playoff wins for Whit..lol..great player for us, good luck to him

Comment

If we lose Whit and Zeitler, well, that would be the two best OL from an already weak line.

Comment

Need to use this board to vent a little here.

Whit has every right to sign where he wants. But what happened to wanting to win a championship? Not happening in the next 3 years in LA. What happened to "i'll never wear another uniform"?

And on the Bengals side, the way this could've been prevented would be to not play Ogbuehi at RT while he was getting his ass handed to him all year. Same thing with Bodine. And rotating offensive linemen was always ridiculous. It's like rotating QBs. I think that just signalled to Whit that we weren't serious about winning in the present, that we're so focused on the future we don't take care of the here and now. But then again, he just signed with the sad-sack rams, so what do I know.

Zeitler will see this and not even consider re-signing. And the OL. is. screwed.

Cue the "Ogbuehi will be fine when he gets stronger" narrative from Hobson. Baloney. He's a bust. Or the "but hey, we'll get a third round comp pick in 2018" narrative, while Andy gets lit up all year in 2017.

DEEP BREATH.

Comment

Come to think of it, I'll bet anything Whit gave the Bengals a chance to match and they said no. Idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengali View Post
                  Come to think of it, I'll bet anything Whit gave the Bengals a chance to match and they said no. Idiots.
                  I am not sure Whit is worth a 3 year deal, a lot of risk there due to age. But letting Zeitler as well will hurt badly.

Comment

Originally posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
                    I am not sure Whit is worth a 3 year deal, a lot of risk there due to age. But letting Zeitler as well will hurt badly.
                    Not going to dog on Whit, it is what it is. Hopefully that opens the door to resigning Z, with the money we saved. Although we could have saved more money by cutting Jones and hopefully Maulaluga.

Comment

That's a good point. Do you think the Bengals should have matched? As much as I love Whit, I'd say no. I figured someone would overpay and that's exactly what happened. I'm happy for Whit that he gets a huge payday but it does screw us. The reason we're screwed is because the linemen we drafted highly have not worked out particularly well. The team did anticipate this. It's a salary cap league. We all knew this day was coming. In this league if you miss out on your draft picks then you need to compensate with a few FAs.

Comment

they offered him $11mil...that means he took one extra mil to run off and play on a team that has no shot at winning anything while he's there under contract.
                        potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
                        QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
                        OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

We suck again. Welcome to being the Bungles once more. How freaking incompetent can they be? No use of any tag to keep someone. So sick of the excuses. Door just slammed shut. Ced O is a huge bust. Never should have been drafted. So pissed. No way Hobson can spin this in a positive light. Only hope we have is to over pay and keep Zeitler. I hate when we tender to shitty players like Johnson and resign marginal WRs yet sit on our asses and let 2 of our best players leave. Didn't the learn a fycking lesson from last year when Jones and Sanu left? Glad I gave up my season tickets.
                          Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Comment

sigh

Comment

Originally posted by ralphmtsu View Post
                              Glad I gave up my season tickets.
                              so are they
                              potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
                              QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
                              OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

Working...
                              X