The position pick with 9th pick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The position pick with 9th pick

Unlike many of you, I'm not able to watch college games. So I can't pin down one player for pick 9. But I believe we will go DE with first pick. So far I've looked at a few mock drafts and there are 4 players that the mocks are picking here.
    Some are saying draft needs are RB, WR, LB and DE. To me we could add OL. But looking at the roster I believe it is LB'er. But I don't think Mike pulls trigger on LB. It has been a need for many years. Most here are going toward running back. But I think RB needs a powerful OL to succeed early and Hill could do the job with a powerful OL. With WR we just need one with speed opposite of Green. That player can be had in later rounds after round one.
    So I'm going DE because that is the unit with the most age on them. Three guys with 8 years or more starting. Time to rebuild that unit while it is still strong. Dunlap and Atkins are signed for a few years. No problem there. But the other side needs power and speed quickly.

So tell me which position do you think will be our first pick?

I'm thinking DE in the first-- Barnett from TN? I don't see WR as a need early in the draft. Green is of course Green. LaFell played well last year and is a pro's pro. Could do a lot worse for a #2. Boyd was one of the better rookies and improved as the season went along. We also have Erickson who showed flashes. If we were drafting lower in the first round, I'd consider Cam Robinson for the OL, but 9 is way too high. At LB, they picked up Minter from the Cardinals, so LB is not really an early need and we always devalue the LB. Also, I don't see RB as a need per se. With Hill and Gio, we have 2 serviceable RBs, but the loss of Burkhead makes me think RB will be addressed early. I bet we take Mixon in the 2nd round. As I see it, our needs are OL, Pass Rush and RB. It would be intersting to see if we try to move up using our comp picks. I'd like to get 2 picks in the 2nd round.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Comment

two things here....

a) while we do have need for OL, it's simply not a match in the first round, the talent just isn't there this year.
      b) you can really same the same thing about the DL, the talent doesn't really match the draft position UNLESS someone like Solomon Thomas or Jon Allen were to fall out of the top 8......this draft is loaded with DL and Edge talent, guys like Derek Barnett and Taco Charlton have been mocked anywhere from 10 all the way into the 2nd round and one of the reasons for that is because you can get very similar talent at those positions a little later on in this particular draft.

IMO, they want game-changing speed at 9 because the pickings will be pretty slim for those guys after the first round.....if I were a betting man I'd say it will be either Christian McCaffrey or John Ross. (probably Ross though because Carolina is supposedly in love with McCaffrey and they pick one spot in front of us)

I know this...IF for some reason Fournette should fall out of the top 8 (which isn't likely) you can take that pick to the bank, the Bengals will be sprinting up to the podium with his name on the card......I actually wouldn't be all that surprised if they traded up a few spots to get him to tell ya the truth, they supposedly like him that much.
      potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
      QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
      OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

To me, Barnett would be the 'safe' play and we often do our best drafting with the safer bets (less success with projects such as Hunt). Fournette would also be a pretty safe bet. Kiper's now has us picking Reddick, that would be a higher risk/higher reward type pick. Although we do not need more picks I would not mind a trade down and then later a trade up or two. I know, I know, too much action for old sleepy Mike but this would be the draft to aggressively target several players that can have an early impact.
        Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

Originally posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
          To me, Barnett would be the 'safe' play
          do you really know enough about Barnett to say that though?

there's a few sites here and there that have him getting into the top 10 but if you follow the guys that are either actually scouts or have ins with actual scouts, those guys have him in the late 20's early 30's.

Barnett to me is very heavy handed and seems to make a lot of hay by bullying OT's at the college level, I don't see how that's gonna work at the pro level....also, as an athlete, he's very very average....IMO you can get that same guy in rounds 2-3.

Comment

I am a little concerned about Eifert's back. I know he said he was fine, but for how long? Maybe that weighs into the equation and I could see us taking Howard. I am still high on us taking a LBer also, I like Foster at #9.
            Big fan of Ross and Reddick but is #9 to high?? I wouldn't be upset if we took either, Ross is a flippin playmaker. Foster just seems like the immediate impact we need.

Comment

Originally posted by spicoli View Post

there's a few sites here and there that have him getting into the top 10 but if you follow the guys that are either actually scouts or have ins with actual scouts, those guys have him in the late 20's early 30's.

Barnett to me is very heavy handed and seems to make a lot of hay by bullying OT's at the college level, I don't see how that's gonna work at the pro level....also, as an athlete, he's very very average....IMO you can get that same guy in rounds 2-3.
              I agree with that. So welcome to the Bengals Mr. Barnett!!! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by spicoli View Post

We all know that following draft sites is a bit of a muggs game (although we have no choice since little or know info is known about each teams draft boards). Having said that, many boards have him listed as top 10 given his college production and some top 15. Will it translate? Always the guessing part of it but some sights have Fournette as over rated as well. But I would classify him as a safer bet merely because of his excellent college production and the fact that he is not learning a new position. PFF has him as one of the 10 'safe' picks.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/dra...draft-options/

I seem to recall a lot of boards saying JJ Watt's college game would translate into an average player in the NFL. Sometimes, I think production is over looked a bit? Anyway, I was trying to think like Bengals would. My guess is they may go the safe route and maybe use some late picks on real flyers.

The pick will be ...
                Rob Rang: Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee. Adding a young pass rusher to complement veterans Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap is expected to be among the Bengals' top draft-day priorities. Barnett lacks the ideal traits that club president Mike Brown has prioritized in the past, but his production (NCAA-best 33 sacks over past three seasons) against elite competition speaks for itself and he possesses the pro-ready game and work ethic to continue this success in the NFL.
                Dane Brugler: Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee. While not in the same stratosphere as Myles Garrett from a physical or athletic standpoint, Barnett has a more impressive resume and that counts for something. He isn't a twitchy edge rusher, but his get-off, bend and awareness allow him to make an impact vs. the pass and the run.
                Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

I'd take Tak McKinley or Charles Harris all day long over Barnett or Taco Charlton.

I'd take Riddick over them as well.

IMO it's going to be an impact player on offense....McCaffrey or Ross would be my bet, guys that can break a game open from multiple spots anytime they touch the football.
                  Last edited by spicoli; 04-20-2017, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Most definitely NOT going to be Faster at this point. First he might need shoulder surgery again, secondly he got sent home from the combine, and now it has come out he failed his drug test at the combine for having a diluted sample. He'll start his career in the substance abuse program. Fu cking dope heads can't control themselves enough to cost themselves MILLIONS of dollars.

Comment

I'd take him in the 2nd.....he'd definitely come in good and pissed off if that happened.

Comment

On the Barnett question: Spicoli and Sandwedge are right. When you see him projected in the top ten, it's from mockers who are basing things on headlines. But if you watch him and really know who the process works, he just won't go that high. He'll be an OK player, but not worth the 9th pick. For the reasons Spicoli mentions.

And as far as who we'll take, it really has to do with value and how the board falls more so than need. If Allen is there I think we'll take him, but wouldn't be shocked if we passed. Assuming he and Thomas are gone, it just makes more sense to focus elsewhere. The value isn't there at LB or OL. But it will be at WR. Those of you pointing out that we're ok at WR miss the point... we have a chance to take a real difference maker (which Barnett probably will not be) at 9. I really think it might be John Ross. LaFell would start while Ross heals and acclimates to the NFL. And think of it in a year or two... Ross, Green and Boyd as a trio of WRs. That's ridiculous. A good-but-not-great DE doesn't really compare.

Want a surprise pick? Gareon Conley. Think about it. Right now I think it's either going to be Allen, Ross or Conley.

Comment

One of the best things I've heard lately is that Buffalo worked out Deshaun Watson and supposedly really likes him. Which means if you really want Watson you got to get ahead of Buffalo. Cue the Bengals.

Comment

My surprise pick is Charles Harris....kid is a flat out baller.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengali View Post
                              And think of it in a year or two... Ross, Green and Boyd as a trio of WRs. That's ridiculous.

how many more quality vets will be gone in a year or 2 ? we have to quit picking 1st round players that have to be redshirted due to injury/being a project. evry now and then i can understand but if theydo this will be the 3rd year in a row their 1st rounder wouldnt be playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X