2017 NFL Draft Day Three

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlazerBenner View Post
    Boling should be the starting LT with Ogbuehi the backup, but they won"t do that. Boling is the backup.
    Boling should be the center.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pre_hungover View Post
      So does this push Sims or Hardison off of the roster?
      Not a chance on Sims, but Hardison has to step up.
      "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

"You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."

Comment

• Originally posted by Super Cat View Post
        Overview

Evans followed in his father's footsteps as an all-conference player for the Sooners; Scott was a three-time all-conference defensive tackle for Oklahoma in the late 1980's. Jordan earned his own All-Big 12 honors the past two seasons, starting with a second-team effort in 2015 despite missing two games due to injury. (83 tackles, five for loss, sack, four pass break-ups). He was a second-team pick in his senior year, as well, leading the Sooners with 98 tackles and four interceptions (also had 10 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, and eight pass break-ups). Evans started all 13 games as a sophomore, making 93 stops, 6.5 for loss, and two pass break-ups, one year after contributing in eight games in 2013 (12 tackles, missed five with an injury).
        Analysis

Strengths

Carries prototypical NFL frame for the position with low body fat and good length. Flexible and athletic. Productive tackler. Able to turn the corner sharply and track down running backs looking to burst between the tackles. Plus reactive quickness for sudden lateral explosion as a tackler. Has the twitch-trigger to fire downhilll and make plays. Carries outstanding play speed and has the potential to range around the field if kept clean. Fluid cover man in space in man or zone. Possesses ball skills and physical tools to play all three downs. Had twelve passes defensed this season including four interceptions. Weaknesses

Finesse player. Scouts say he turns down too many opportunities to bang when it is in front of him. Often at the mercy of blockers. Needs to play stronger to maintain control of the rep in run support. Struggles to leverage his gap. Inconsistent angles to the football takes him out of some plays. Needs to be a more squared, physical finisher as a tackler. Allowed too many missed and broken tackles this season. Draft Projection

Rounds 5-6 Bottom Line

Productive, three-year starter who will garner attention as a height, weight, speed prospect especially after his strong pro day workout. Evans may lack the physical nature to hold up inside so he may have to find his way as a backup outside linebacker. Evans has enough traits and talent to become an eventual starter if he can play with better toughness and consistency.
        This was an "A+" pick. He makes the 53 on opening day.
        "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
          Yeah I looked at his profile on other sites... but I thought it was funny that on ESPN they didn't have one.

I'd still rather have Ben Boulware than this guy. Boulware is a football player... this guy screams Special Teams player first, LBer second. He ran a 4.51 forty time at the combine... so the Bengals are sticking to their new motto of wanting speed.
          Another reason why I don't watch espn or use their website. I've liked Evansas a possibility for us for months.

Comment

But at least Mays would hit people. Hell, Mays was known for knocking people out.
            yes...our people, their people,...

Comment

• Originally posted by TD Bengals View Post
              Brandon Wilson was a RB, S, and CB in college. He's an athletic freak. Guessing we'll use him at safety and special teams.
              Another "A+" pick. I had him with a 2nd Rd grade.

Comment

• Originally posted by #1 italian fan View Post
                We Love you all baby Bengals and welcome home

Round 1, Pick 9 (9) John Ross WR 5'11" 188 Washington 6.1

Round 2, Pick 16 (48) (From Vikings) Joe Mixon RB 6'1" 226 Oklahoma 6.0

Round 3, Pick 9 (73) Jordan Willis OLB 6'4" 255 Kansas St. 5.8

Round 4, Pick 9 (116) Carl Lawson OLB 6'2" 261 Auburn 5.6

Round 4, Pick 22 (128) (From Vikings through Dolphins) Josh Malone WR 6'3" 208 Tennessee 5.2

Round 4, Pick 32 (138) (Compensatory Selection) Ryan Glasgow DT 6'3" 302 Michigan 5.4

Round 5, Pick 9 (153) Jake Elliott K 5'9" 167 Memphis 4.9

Round 5, Pick 33 (176) (Compensatory Selection) J.J. Dielman C 6'5" 309 Utah 5.0

Round 6, Pick 9 (193) Jordan Evans LB 6'2" 233 Oklahoma 5.4

Round 6, Pick 23 (207) (From Titans through Giants) Brandon Wilson RB 5'11" 200 Houston 5.3

Round 7, Pick 33 (251) (Compensatory Selection) Mason Schreck TE 6'5" 258 Buffalo --
                Thanks for posting that.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlazerBenner View Post
                  Another "A+" pick. I had him with a 2nd Rd grade.
                  Possibly the most intriguing draft pick. Athletic freak as you said, and can play offense or defense and special teams. We just need to figure out where to put him but one of the most athletic players in the draft. Who can play running back AND cornerback? Or WR and safety? This guy.
                  2013 Whodey Keeper League Regular Season Champion
                  2013 Yahoo Whodey League Regular Season Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by Super Cat View Post
                    For Braham first year where he played 3 games. Braham played guard until 1999, then Alexander moved him to center.

List of 1st and 2nd round picks under Alexander.
                    Willie Anderson, Levi Jones, Eric Stienbach, Andrew Whitworth, Andre Smith, and Kevin Zeitler. Then add Fisher and Ogbuehi.

Six players in 20 years plus.
                    Ok, 6 players that were top picks in all those years, what did he do with the rest? Name the players he molded from late round draft picks or UDFA that turned into great contributors to the team. That's all I'm asking.

Comment

Ok, 6 players that were top picks in all those years, what did he do with the rest? Name the players he molded from late round draft picks or UDFA that turned into great contributors to the team. That's all I'm asking.
                      Well none of them turned into "great" contributors, but they all contributed nonetheless.....hell, even Bodine can claim to be an NFL starter on a playoff team..
                      potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
                      QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
                      OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

• Originally posted by spicoli View Post
                        Well none of them turned into "great" contributors, but they all contributed nonetheless.....hell, even Bodine can claim to be an NFL starter on a playoff team..
                        Please tell me you aren't counting him as a success? He's been graded bottom of the barrel for NFL starting centers every year...

Flat out, Alexander has done nothing to deserve being a 20 year+ coach for the Bengals. On any other team he would have been replaced a long time ago.

Comment

• Again, if you were qualified to actually know NFL coaches or players, to a man, they acknowledge Paul Alexander as a great coach. Please tell me your qualifications to the contrary.
                          "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

• Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
                            Again, if you were qualified to actually know NFL coaches or players, to a man, they acknowledge Paul Alexander as a great coach. Please tell me your qualifications to the contrary.
                            Personally, I believe Alexander is a good OL coach; however, when you stay with one team for so long, players tune out or the coaching becomes stale. At that point, it might be best to bring in new blood to reinvigorate the position room.
                            Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Comment

• Mike Brown was spoiled by Jim McNally. He turned many late round turds into gladiators. I would guess that 75-80% of all interior lineman drafted by the Bengals since '91 came from the 5th round or later. Alexander is no McNally but he hasn't had much to work with either.
                              Only users lose drugs

Comment

• Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
                                Again, if you were qualified to actually know NFL coaches or players, to a man, they acknowledge Paul Alexander as a great coach. Please tell me your qualifications to the contrary.
                                I don't have to be qualified to be an NFL line coach to see other teams have coaches that turn mid to late round or UDFA linemen into starters that are solid contributors and Alexander doesn't. In fact Alexander has had more high draft picks that have failed to live up to their potential than he has had guys that he has turned from turds into diamonds. Has Andre Smith lived up to his draft position? Has Cedric? Has Fisher? What accolades exactly did Levi Jones ever get? I mean how many Pro Bowl selection did he get? How Many times was he an All-Pro? Why is it that every year we are talking about Bodine and how he needs to improve and step up, yet again and again he is grading out at the bottom of the barrel? What kind of coach keeps trotting out a guy that isn't getting the job done, and isn't able to coach him up to perform better? What kind of great coach turns down the opportunity to have a former star player help him?

It's quite funny how often you point out other people's logical fallacies, but this is the second time you've used one. Man up and stick to the facts of the argument. In twenty years Alexander doesn't have a single guy he can point towards and say, "Hey I took a guy that other people didn't think highly of in the draft, and I turned him into a stud player."

Comment

Working...
                                X