Clear All

• Super Cat
    started a topic 2017 NFL Draft Day Three

2017 NFL Draft Day Three

Fillers or surprises?

• Sea Ray
    replied
    Originally posted by yang View Post
    Well, obviously you can't evaluate this talent for a couple years. But most of us can remember when a 7th round pick would be an instant starter because the team was so horrible. We have depth and competition and who the hell doesn't like shiny new toys! I remember when we only had broken outdated Tecmo bowl while let's were doing the newest version of Madden.

Our defense was strong down the stretch, We replaced some weak parts and added some new fast ones.

And seriously, our offense is insane.
    Is our offense insane with that O-line? If the O-line gels then it's insane. Otherwise it could be wild. As for Ross, my issue is health. Can he stay healthy in the NFL? If he can then he'll be a weapon for sure

Leave a comment:

• Pre_hungover
    replied
    It's going to be a really interesting situation in training camp. We don't usually start rookies at such an important position so I would think MJ stays for a year to groom them. They would really have to excel for him not to bet here in my mind. I don't think Glaskow is a lock either, probably practice squad. That all depends on how Sims/Thompson look obviously.

And again, it's hard to believe we are talking back up defensive tackles and such. There were years we simply panned for a quality defensive starter anywhere.
    PREACH!

I remember when Heldicus had the fist pumping Barney pic in his sig with Hoo ha! We got a DT! attached when they signed Sam Adams.

Remember when the Bengals would open a game in the prevent defense and stay there all game? Ten yard cushions as a standard even on 3rd and 2. Now we worry that one or more of the cuts that are mid-late round draft picks gets signed somewhere else and doesn't make it to the practice squad.

Leave a comment:

• yang
    replied
    Originally posted by BlazerBenner View Post
    I think Willis starts and plays 600 snaps. His only competition is Lawson, who should play 400 snaps. Gilberry can fight it out with Williams and Thompson for the final two spots in the line. MJ has sucked for three years and is too costly. If they're willing to let go of Peko and Maualuga, then Johnson is gone, too, for the same reasons. Glasgow gets a spot because of where he was drafted. Sims is their best 1-technique at this time.
    It's going to be a really interesting situation in training camp. We don't usually start rookies at such an important position so I would think MJ stays for a year to groom them. They would really have to excel for him not to bet here in my mind. I don't think Glaskow is a lock either, probably practice squad. That all depends on how Sims/Thompson look obviously.

And again, it's hard to believe we are talking back up defensive tackles and such. There were years we simply panned for a quality defensive starter anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Pre_hungover
    replied
    Wednesday on ESPNU at noon EST
    Orange Bowl
    Michigan vs Florida State
    The only game featuring a Bengal draftee(Glasgow) on ESPN network for at least the next week and a half.

Leave a comment:

• BlazerBenner
    replied
    Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
    This draft will be determined as a success entirely on whether Willis and Lawson are able to contribute. This more than likely spells the end of the road for either Gilberry or Clarke, with it probably being Gilberry simply because of size of contract and age. You'll have a rotation of Dunlap, Willis, MJ, Lawson, and Clarke... with who knows what happens with Smith. As long as Billings is healthy and with the addition of Glasgow, the Bengals can finally have a full defensive line rotation like they did a few years ago when they were one of the top defenses in the league.
    I think Willis starts and plays 600 snaps. His only competition is Lawson, who should play 400 snaps. Gilberry can fight it out with Williams and Thompson for the final two spots in the line. MJ has sucked for three years and is too costly. If they're willing to let go of Peko and Maualuga, then Johnson is gone, too, for the same reasons. Glasgow gets a spot because of where he was drafted. Sims is their best 1-technique at this time.

Leave a comment:

• Pre_hungover
    replied
    I see what you're saying but I wouldn't be shocked at all if Johnson gets cut before Clarke.

Leave a comment:

• Lewdog
    replied
    This draft will be determined as a success entirely on whether Willis and Lawson are able to contribute. This more than likely spells the end of the road for either Gilberry or Clarke, with it probably being Gilberry simply because of size of contract and age. You'll have a rotation of Dunlap, Willis, MJ, Lawson, and Clarke... with who knows what happens with Smith. As long as Billings is healthy and with the addition of Glasgow, the Bengals can finally have a full defensive line rotation like they did a few years ago when they were one of the top defenses in the league.

Leave a comment:

• yang
    replied
    Originally posted by Stryker57 View Post
    also got to stop the defensive strengths too. you know like a pass rush, keep looking at the shiny new toys. yes solid players but we did very little to address weak positions and only made solid or strong positins better. just because you got a round 3 ranked player in later round dont make it a A+ grade draft none of these guys have played a down yet.
    Well, obviously you can't evaluate this talent for a couple years. But most of us can remember when a 7th round pick would be an instant starter because the team was so horrible. We have depth and competition and who the hell doesn't like shiny new toys! I remember when we only had broken outdated Tecmo bowl while let's were doing the newest version of Madden.

Our defense was strong down the stretch, We replaced some weak parts and added some new fast ones.

And seriously, our offense is insane.

Leave a comment:

• BlazerBenner
    replied
    Originally posted by Super Cat View Post
    Boling should be the center.
    That would be great, too. Then move Bodine to LG.

Leave a comment:

• puddycat
    replied
    The 10 best OL per PFF include 4 1st rounders, 1 2nd, 3 3rds, and 2 4ths. SO along with the Joe Thomases and Tyron Smiths of the NFL are TJ Lang, Josh Sitton, Incognito, Terron Armstead, and Marshall Yanda all picked after round 2.
    Sort of an aside, if the Bengals downgrade players in the draft due to injury concerns per Tobin, just how good did they think Ogbuehi was? Top 10? Top 5?

Leave a comment:

• Pre_hungover
    replied
    Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
    Really? Whitworth- Second Round. Levi Jones- First Round. Willie Anderson- First Round. Steinbech- Second Round. Cedric- First Round. Fisher- Second Round. Zeitler- First Round. Melvin Tuten- Second Round. Ken Blackman- Third Round. Rod Payne- Third Round.

I originally had Boling as a Third Rounder, then when I looked it up, he was actually a fourth rounder. So I'll admit, Boling being a Fourth Rounder is the best offensive lineman that Alexander has "coached up" in over twenty years...
    You have a strange definition of interior linemen.

Leave a comment:

• Lewdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Stryker57 View Post
    also got to stop the defensive strengths too. you know like a pass rush, keep looking at the shiny new toys. yes solid players but we did very little to address weak positions and only made solid or strong positins better. just because you got a round 3 ranked player in later round dont make it a A+ grade draft none of these guys have played a down yet.
    Well there is something about doubling down at a position of need. Getting Willis AND Lawson is a step in the right direction. I just wish the Bengals had gotten a thumper ILB, but maybe with them bringing in Hardy Nickerson Jr. he can be that UDFA find the Bengals need.

Leave a comment:

• Stryker57
    replied
    Luckily we have an owner that understands the need of drafting offensive tackles early. The argument being made against him could be made against defensive back coaches, etc. it's a pointless argument.

Back to the draft.

Wee hee. Hoo Hoo. Ha Ha!!!

I went in hoping we would find a couple players out of 11 picks that would make the team. They did way better than that. I think this draft will go down as momentous for the top two picks. I love those picks. They are game changers. We should be able to find any opposing defense weakness and exploit it. We have never had this level of offensive talent.

Leave a comment:

• yang
    replied
    Luckily we have an owner that understands the need of drafting offensive tackles early. The argument being made against him could be made against defensive back coaches, etc. it's a pointless argument.

Back to the draft.

Wee hee. Hoo Hoo. Ha Ha!!!

I went in hoping we would find a couple players out of 11 picks that would make the team. They did way better than that. I think this draft will go down as momentous for the top two picks. I love those picks. They are game changers. We should be able to find any opposing defense weakness and exploit it. We have never had this level of offensive talent.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X