Grade the draft 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went with A-.
    1) Ross: Boom or a bust depending on his durability. If he can stay on the field, then look out. A-
    2) Mixon: Off-field incident is the only thing keeping this from being an A+. He's said he has changed, but he has to prove it. Grade: Incomplete.
    3) Willis: Fast, productive pass rusher that we've been needing. A+
    4.1) Lawson: Another effective pass rusher. With Willis and Lawson, the Bengals should go from having a below average pass rush to one of the top 10. A+
    4.2) Malone: Speedy WR who will be a backup for Green and Ross. Most likely won't see the field unless there is an injury. C
    4.3) Glasgow: Likely backup, but could compete for a starting spot at nose tackle. A-
    5.1) Elliott: Reliable kicker who will make the chip-shot field goals and extra points. Can make 50+ yarders. A
    5.2) Dielman: Versatile backup on the O-line. Not really an upgrade, but will provide depth. C+
    6.1) Evans: Good coverage linebacker who is weak against the run and not especially effective in pass rush. If he learns to play more physical, he could become a starter. B
    6.2) Wilson: Freakish athlete who should help on special teams and could develop into a backup S or CB. Another project. B+
    7) Shreck: Will compete with Uzomah and Kroft for backup spot. Likely practice squad candidate. B-
    Last edited by TD Bengals; 04-30-2017, 12:28 PM.

Comment

C+ decent players ( I too. am troubled by Mixons past but it didnt effect my grade) but i just dont see how the whole team is going to perform well when they did nothing to address the Line positions.
      and really what difference does it make what value they are they dont play till 2-3rd year here

Comment

B+
        We drafted well - mostly picked the right guy for each position we selected. Not shoring up OL brings them down to the B+.

I do think the year of experience and offseason, plus a stud RB and Ross stretching the opposing D backfield will all improve the OL. At least I hope so ...

As an aside, I'm thinking about going to the JAX game this November. The only place I've been for Bengals away games is CLE.
        ///M
        The most powerful letter in the alphabet

Comment

I'll plagiarize Pete Prisco here because I'm lazy and he pretty much sums it up for me.

"I thought the Bengals had as good draft as any team in the league. Taking receiver John Ross with the ninth pick is a bit of a risk, but you can't coach speed. They took a different type of risk with Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon in the second round, but the kid is the best runner in the draft. They clearly looked past the assault video to take him. They then landed two good pass rushers in Kansas State Jordan Willis and Auburn's Carl Lawson, two players who will compete to start at right end. Fourth-round receiver Josh Malone from Tennessee can fly. There are some risks here, but I think they will pay off big."

Grade: A

Comment

Every team wins on Draft Day. Every team gets who they wanted/targeted/slotted. Every team has "steals".

Every teams' picks will look great at rookie camps and OTA's.

Then, the winnowing begins: the descent from can't miss/steal to just a guy happens once the first pre-season game begins. By the time Game One happens, most are waived, on Practice Squads, IR, or healthy game day scratches. At best, the remainder are special teamers, or situational part-timers.

Then the process starts all over again for the next season.
            "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
              Every team wins on Draft Day. Every team gets who they wanted/targeted/slotted. Every team has "steals". ....
              Yep, grading the NFL draft the day it happens is like grading a guy's stock portfolio the very day he opens an account and makes a bunch of purchases.

Comment

I go with B+ because I still don't like the Ross pick at 1. The next three picks were solid As. I wanted Mixon from day 1. Thought he would slide to the 3rd but we moved down which was great move. Absoluteky love the Lawson pick.
                Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Comment

I went with A-, and here's why I add the minus:

I've let my feelings about the Mixon pick known, so won't go there again.

The Glasgow pick was a little meh. Not sure what he adds that they don't already have. I still have hopes for Brandon Thompson, and have always liked DeShawn Williams. But Ok, maybe Glasgow puts on ten pounds and is our next Krumrie.

I'll also concede that we took a fair number of medical risks, but it's just as possible that those guys (Lawson and Ross) get past their injuries and in an NFL system figure out how to stay healthy. You can't predict or control knee injuries. You could chalk Ross's shoulder injury up to being undersized, but he's got time to get stronger and prevent those things. (and he's *not* a slot receiver, as somebody said above).

Comment

Originally posted by TD Bengals View Post
                    It's not a love for Cody Core, it's that I don't see a lot of difference between Core and Malone. Why use a fourth round pick on a guy that isn't much of an upgrade over what you've already got and won't even be on the active roster unless someone gets hurt?
                    I think Malone was a true value pick, as he could easily have gone on day two. Thing about Core is that his speed is build up speed, which was likely to relegate him to back up status. Just watched a little tape of Malone, and he's explosive out of the box. It's like getting Marvin Jones back, but a tad bigger and faster. Our WR corps is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengali View Post
                      Our WR corps is ridiculous.
                      man, bigtime!

so are the RB's if Gio comes back healthy..
                      potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
                      QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
                      OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

NFL folks are giving our team a solid A.We got well everywhere,I would have liked to see a top O-lineman,but in looking back,we got some studs sitting in the background and on our practice squad that I believe will be playing and playing strong.I am excited about this team.If our coaches can coach them up,we now have a chance for the division.The raven and the steelers are going to be a handful,but if we put the right people on the field and they are allow to practice a lot in training camp,we have a chance.No one in our division has seen Billing or Jackson play and I am stoked to see them start the hammer.NOT LETS GO KICK THE S---T OUT OF OUR DIVISION.

Comment

Originally posted by fortyyearfan View Post
                          NFL folks are giving our team a solid A.We got well everywhere,I would have liked to see a top O-lineman,but in looking back,we got some studs sitting in the background and on our practice squad that I believe will be playing and playing strong.I am excited about this team.If our coaches can coach them up,we now have a chance for the division.The raven and the steelers are going to be a handful,but if we put the right people on the field and they are allow to practice a lot in training camp,we have a chance.No one in our division has seen Billing or Jackson play and I am stoked to see them start the hammer.NOT LETS GO KICK THE S---T OUT OF OUR DIVISION.
                          Who Dey!!!
                          potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
                          QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
                          OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
                            Every team wins on Draft Day. Every team gets who they wanted/targeted/slotted. Every team has "steals".

Every teams' picks will look great at rookie camps and OTA's.

Then, the winnowing begins: the descent from can't miss/steal to just a guy happens once the first pre-season game begins. By the time Game One happens, most are waived, on Practice Squads, IR, or healthy game day scratches. At best, the remainder are special teamers, or situational part-timers.

Then the process starts all over again for the next season.
                            yep

Comment

Originally posted by TD Bengals View Post
                              It's not a love for Cody Core, it's that I don't see a lot of difference between Core and Malone. Why use a fourth round pick on a guy that isn't much of an upgrade over what you've already got and won't even be on the active roster unless someone gets hurt?
                              "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

"You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."

Comment

It could be fun wearing a Schrek mask for Schreck. But, he'll be lucky if he makes the practice squad. He needs to focus every but of energy on being a Special Teams Blocker and Tackler.
                                "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

"You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."

Comment

Working...
                                X