No announcement yet.

Grade the draft 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to really, really suck as a pass rusher if you can't find success on a line that has Dunlap and Atkins on it. Often you would go unblocked. MJ should not have been in the NFL the last three seasons.

Our two new rushers will demonstrate how easy it is to get a Quarterback pressure when 3 and 4 blockers are routinely occupied by Dunlap and Atkins.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

"You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."

Comment

Originally posted by Maldez View Post
      Yep, grading the NFL draft the day it happens is like grading a guy's stock portfolio the very day he opens an account and makes a bunch of purchases.
      That's true. But, it's easier to say his portfolio sucks than it does to say it has great promise. With Stocks there's ten times more certainty than NFL prospects. But, it's what fans do when Week 1 is five months away.
      "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
        Every team wins on Draft Day. Every team gets who they wanted/targeted/slotted. Every team has "steals".

Every teams' picks will look great at rookie camps and OTA's.

Then, the winnowing begins: the descent from can't miss/steal to just a guy happens once the first pre-season game begins. By the time Game One happens, most are waived, on Practice Squads, IR, or healthy game day scratches. At best, the remainder are special teamers, or situational part-timers.

Then the process starts all over again for the next season.
        My spouse asked me today what winnowing meant. I said that I hadn't used it in a sentence before, but I'm guessing it means to lightly brush your hand across the tops of the seedlings to carefully detach the roots. Better look it up, though. Now I have to look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengali View Post
          I think Malone was a true value pick, as he could easily have gone on day two. Thing about Core is that his speed is build up speed, which was likely to relegate him to back up status. Just watched a little tape of Malone, and he's explosive out of the box. It's like getting Marvin Jones back, but a tad bigger and faster. Our WR corps is ridiculous.
          Malone's speed was first recorded as build-up speed, explaining that he had trouble getting off the line against better talent and was not productive on routes other than go's. Nice to see a different eval of him. I truly feel that the Bengals did by a marathon mile their best due diligence with scouting than any draft before and as a result, I think it will end up being a Top-7 draft of all time.

If they had taken 12 guys I have had never heard of and everyone gave them an "F" grade, I'd still feel the same because of their preparation and what seems to me, a solid execution afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by BlazerBenner View Post
            pretty much
            potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
            QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
            OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

My spouse asked me today what winnowing meant. I said that I hadn't used it in a sentence before, but I'm guessing it means to lightly brush your hand across the tops of the seedlings to carefully detach the roots. Better look it up, though. Now I have to look it up.
              Close as to the definition. It is analogous to "separating the wheat from the chaff".
              "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

B+ for me, a really good draft with high speed everywhere but still leave us with "big ugly" problem

we are four deep at DT with Atkins, Billings, Dean, Hardison, Sims, Thompson and now Glasgow
                we are four deep at DE with Brown, Clarke, Dunlap, Gilberry, Johnson, Smith, Willis and Lawson
                but
                we are just a very thin and unproved two deep at OL with

1st stringers: ogbuehi - boling - bodine - smith - fisher
                2nd: hopkins-westermann-johnson-redmond-winston
                3rd: dielman

question: who is gonna to play in preseason without the risk to injuring our starters?
                Last edited by #1 italian fan; 05-02-2017, 03:38 AM.

Comment

I went with "B" because I'm not crazy about all the "ifs" associated with it.

If he can stay healthy...with a couple of picks
                  If he can stay out of trouble...

Also, given what was still available when our first pick came up, I think we could have done better..

I hope they all pan out.
                  "She's a Browns fan. She doesn't know anything about the playoffs." Chuck Todd referring to Kelly O'Donnell on "Meet the Press"

"The Browns are so low in national esteem that they troll the football equivalent of the thermal vents at the bottom of the Marianas Trench in the Pacific. This is the deepest point on the surface of the earth. Strange creatures live there and also in Berea." Bill Livingston-The Plain Dealer

Comment

yeah, and I am partial to wide recievers that get open and catch the ball. I am not opposed to developing prospects and letting them compete. Malone as way more upsides imho.
                    2013 Whodey Keeper League Regular Season Champion
                    2013 Yahoo Whodey League Regular Season Champion

Comment

Amelia lay prone on the floor of a place called Pickleman's, her famous football-playing assailant having long since bailed, friends and onlookers trying to help and comfort, and her face in a mangled mess of broken jaw and cheek bones.

From there, things got worse. Physically. Eight hours of surgery. A jaw wired shut for weeks. A steady liquid diet. Numbness in her face for six months.

Emotionally. Her Twitter and Facebook accounts were deleted. Too much harassment. Her phone number had to be changed. It'd be shared on Sooner message boards. She quit her job. Too many people. Too many reporters.

She returned to class, mere weeks after being knocked down out. Bravely. Courageously. But still the attention. The dread. Walks across campus while enduring looks from strangers. The snide comments from students when she'd slump down in a lecture hall seat, her jaw wired shut and her voice rendered silent.

Ameila isolated herself, withdrawing from campus organizations, never socializing, and finally taking a job that guaranteed that she could work alone. Eventually, her friends would coax her out of her shell, although only when it was just the girls, though. Amelia couldn't trust men enough to even get close.

Forget football. The girl who bled crimson and cream - who as a young child had begged her family to take a trip to see the Sooners in a bowl game - couldn't bear to even watch, much less go see them in person. Season tickets were relinquished. Plans for her little brother to join big sis at the same school were scrapped.

And yet, she stayed with it.. The famous football player who knocked her out, his defense attorneys that tried to smear her in the name of his defense, the OU fans who'd take to aiwaves and keyboard to blame the victim, they couldn't deter her. Try as they might, and as tempting as quitting often was, Amelia stayed in school.

Eventually, graduation would approach, but not without having to revisit the incident a few more times. A video of the punch was released. More trolls hid behind their keyboards. More lawyers tried to misdirect blame.

The guy who punched her will play for the Cincinnati Bengals this fall.

http://espn1530.iheart.com/onair/mo-...-and-15785946/

Comment

I'm guessing MJ and his $3.55M gets cut.

Comment

Amelia lay prone on the floor of a place called Pickleman's, her famous football-playing assailant having long since bailed, friends and onlookers trying to help and comfort, and her face in a mangled mess of broken jaw and cheek bones.

From there, things got worse. Physically. Eight hours of surgery. A jaw wired shut for weeks. A steady liquid diet. Numbness in her face for six months.

Emotionally. Her Twitter and Facebook accounts were deleted. Too much harassment. Her phone number had to be changed. It'd be shared on Sooner message boards. She quit her job. Too many people. Too many reporters.

She returned to class, mere weeks after being knocked down out. Bravely. Courageously. But still the attention. The dread. Walks across campus while enduring looks from strangers. The snide comments from students when she'd slump down in a lecture hall seat, her jaw wired shut and her voice rendered silent.

Ameila isolated herself, withdrawing from campus organizations, never socializing, and finally taking a job that guaranteed that she could work alone. Eventually, her friends would coax her out of her shell, although only when it was just the girls, though. Amelia couldn't trust men enough to even get close.

Forget football. The girl who bled crimson and cream - who as a young child had begged her family to take a trip to see the Sooners in a bowl game - couldn't bear to even watch, much less go see them in person. Season tickets were relinquished. Plans for her little brother to join big sis at the same school were scrapped.

And yet, she stayed with it.. The famous football player who knocked her out, his defense attorneys that tried to smear her in the name of his defense, the OU fans who'd take to aiwaves and keyboard to blame the victim, they couldn't deter her. Try as they might, and as tempting as quitting often was, Amelia stayed in school.

Eventually, graduation would approach, but not without having to revisit the incident a few more times. A video of the punch was released. More trolls hid behind their keyboards. More lawyers tried to misdirect blame.

The guy who punched her will play for the Cincinnati Bengals this fall.

http://espn1530.iheart.com/onair/mo-...-and-15785946/
                          I've kept quiet about this, but from what I saw in the video, if she doesn't push him or smack him in the face, nothing happens. Maybe he hits another girl down the road, I don't know. But what I do know is that not one person on this planet should ever think that they can hit someone without getting hit back.

He didn't beat her, he hit her back.

Once.

This isn't a Greg Hardy situation or Lawrence Phillips beating a girl and dragging her down the stairs by her hair. The girl called him over to the table she was at, he waited for a few seconds, they talked, he was turning to leave and she pushed him. It looks like he spit on her(he claims he didn't spit, it was just a feint punch), then she spits in his face, hits him in the face and he decks her then walks out.

She's from a rich family and has a criminal record as a drug dealer who was drunk and high that night, as were all of her friends. Charges weren't pressed and he wasn't arrested for two weeks because they later found out that he was a top recruit to go to OU and would probably go to the NFL. Joe Mixon's lawyers released the video because her powerful family kept the video suppressed for two years. Why? Because the video didn't match her story of "he walked up and hit me out of the blue" and showed what I laid out in the paragraph above. She also claimed that a group of people outside in the parking lot called her gay friend a faggot and after Mixon came over he called her friend a faggot . . . none of the other witnesses claimed he said anything of the sort and none of the witnesses corroborated her story but the police still charged him based solely on her statement because of her powerful family.

Regrettable situation but the kid was 18, he hasn't done anything since . . . time to move on.
                          Only users lose drugs

Comment

found this out there floating around, thought it was interesting...

Bengals crew, good afternoon. I'm a Sooner fan stopping by to drop some nuggets on Joe Mixon. The main reason I wanted to post was to add a little bit more context to the Mixon situation, correct one or two misconceptions, and opine on a few other factors relating to Joe.

First and foremost, Joe paid a steep price for his misdeed. It wasn't merely a "redshirt year"; Joe was kicked off the team for the duration of the suspension. That means no facilities, no trainers, no meetings/coaching, no travel. He worked community service, he went to counseling, and...incredibly...he chose to stay at the University instead of transferring away from his problems. My guess is that his decision tells you a lot about how he approaches problems. He chose the hard road that meant putting in extra work and serving out his punishment instead of transferring. And we haven't even talked about the obvious contract implications (dropping from a first rounder to a second rounder). And we haven't talked about the dearth of endorsement deals. He needed to pay for this. He did.

Second, one of the media misconceptions on Mixon is that this was a case of "domestic violence". You guys all know this intuitively, but a few media members struggle with this concept...when it's not a home-related incident, it's not domestic violence. This isn't Ray Rice, or any other player, making a choice to attack their spouse. This was a one-time, snap-decision response to a person slapping him. Joe made the wrong choice, a truly horrific one, and he'll be apologizing for it for the rest of his life.

Third, Media members are scrambling to fit this 2014 incident into their narrative. Several of you have made this point, but it bears repeating: media will not let this case go...because it's the easiest way to generate clicks/interest/ad revenue. It's so frighteningly consumable...a video!...man hits woman!...star football player!...it's the gift that keeps on giving to the media, and you will see them re-hash this story in increasingly bizarre and creative ways in the years to come. Enjoy.

Here's something that needs to be corrected: as recently as this weekend, ESPN "talent" (specifically Kavitha Davidson) reported that there were *new* allegations that Joe had hit a girl in high school. That's false. That claim is years old, and it was retracted by the individual who made the claim. Here's a portion of the retraction:

"My daughter went to Freedom High School with Joe, and they have been friends for much of their lives. Once, when they were in school together, my daughter had a minor disagreement with some of her classmates that got blown out of proportion. Like any father would, I reacted emotionally. Unfortunately, I did so before I had all the facts. Now, having talked to my daughter and investigated the whole story, I realize that I was mistaken about Joes involvement. I definitely overreacted, and I regret that my words might have given some people the wrong impression about Joe. I know that Joe did not hurt my daughter, did not intend to, and would not do so. Joe and my daughter are still good friends. Joe is a great kid with a bright future in front of him, and he is welcome in my home anytime."

So we have an ESPN reporter...putting out information that has been retracted...and damaging his character without merit. That's the level of reporting we're seeing around the Mixon incident at the national level.

To wrap things up a bit...I've always felt a need to defend Joe. Not from the incident itself, as he deserved punishment, but from the character assassination that came with it. Everyone does bad things. Joe did an especially terrible thing. But let's be clear: if you want to be honest with yourself and say that the *worst moment* of your life has been caught on tape, made public, and virally consumed...I'd bet you'd tell me that you are more than just that one moment. And that you've learned from it. We should give Joe the same grace that we'd ask for ourselves.

A few years ago I had the pleasure of meeting Joe's high school coach, his school administrators, his father, and Joe himself. The high school posse raved about his character. Joe is a quiet guy. He talks a lot on the field, he's got a big social media presence, but in reality, he's a soft-spoken individual. The OU coaches will tell you that they would have made Joe a captain but knew that the media would give them loads of hell. But that's the kind of presence that he had in the locker room - peacemaker, workout leader, not a hot head.

You got a great player. Be content with that. Sorry about the media ****storm. Best to you guys in 2017.
                            potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
                            QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
                            OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

Spicoli, I'm sure this is well intended, but where it loses me is that it implicitly makes Mixon the victim. The endorsement deals and perks of being on a DI scholarship and being drafted into the NFL at all are privileges, not entitlements. Going in the second round instead of the first is not a punishment. Not making millions on endorsements is not something he "paid." Even access to state of the art facilities at OU is a privilege.

I agree he deserves a second chance, and I can even wrap my mind around drafting him. But let's make sure that in our own need to feel good about rooting for him we don't become overly apologetic. He's not a victim.

Comment

He's not a criminal, either. But let's make sure that in our own need to feel good about condemning him that we not look past all of the facts.
                                Only users lose drugs

Comment

Working...
                                X