No announcement yet.

Only 8 teams have worse 2018 Superbowl odds than Cincinnati

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The biggest issue will be the coaches ability to adapt mid-game or throughout the season if the O-line is terrible. Good coaches realize there are certain plays and play designs you can make to take the pressure off of the guys upfront. Short step drops, screen passes, draw plays, misdirection run plays with pulling linemen. You gotta do things to keep the defense on its toes and not just play the straight up we are going to knock you in the mouth style play. That may have worked back in the day when the Bengals had guys like Bobbie Williams at guard, but that isn't going to work right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
      I anticipated the "defense on the field all of the time" response. This presupposes that there will be little to no offensive production at all. And this is presupposed that there will be little to no production from the offensive line at all.

Play along, and try not to say "you can't compare the Bengals to...", but anyone who saw the Packers last year, knew their offensive line was marginal at best. An even better reference would be Blazer's beloved Seattle. There, the line was atrocious, the QB was overall less than our guy, and their offensive weapons were pedestrian. Now, put a good defense accomplishing the acumen I described previously, and you still have a playoff team coming out of a decent division. Again, try to refrain from throwing coach-hate into it also--I am speaking in a hypothetical, whereas everyone else is speaking in absolutes.
      and i remember the days when the defense would play 40 minutes of every game and we'd lose in the 4th on last drives because they was wore out.
      and on the same note....even as great as boomer led fast score no huddle offenses were, that was their weakness if teams could stay close the our defense didnt get to rest and was wore out in the 4th.

also now a days the rules are geared toward the offense and geared to help them , so in todays game the best defense is time consuming scoring drives.

Comment

Not to digress, but the defense in 1988 was only slightly better than average--and the few times they were victims of "offense scored too fast", the offense again "scored too fast". In actuality, there were many more times the offense strung out longer drives, than was the no-huddle blitzkrieg legend.

But anyways...how do any past historical recollections coincide with the supposed looming team disaster this season?
        "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
          The biggest issue will be the coaches ability to adapt mid-game or throughout the season if the O-line is terrible. Good coaches realize there are certain plays and play designs you can make to take the pressure off of the guys upfront. Short step drops, screen passes, draw plays, misdirection run plays with pulling linemen. You gotta do things to keep the defense on its toes and not just play the straight up we are going to knock you in the mouth style play. That may have worked back in the day when the Bengals had guys like Bobbie Williams at guard, but that isn't going to work right now.
          In that case we will lose...our coaches are horrible at adapting
          Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
            Not to digress, but the defense in 1988 was only slightly better than average--and the few times they were victims of "offense scored too fast", the offense again "scored too fast". In actuality, there were many more times the offense strung out longer drives, than was the no-huddle blitzkrieg legend.

But anyways...how do any past historical recollections coincide with the supposed looming team disaster this season?
            oh sorry to bring in facts to your everythings great discussion .

..... superbowl bound we are......

nothing else to discuss.

Comment

Oh stop it...my line of work is fact-based--without them any statement is based on nothing but opinion. I stated a reasonable hypothesis--so far, I haven't seen anything (and not just what you have said either) to the contrary. Yes, it is a faster-paced game today and, by theory, that could "wear out a defense". But this again presupposes that this offense will do absolutely nothing to counter.

That is all I was asking: how do the apparent observations of 30-years ago (remember, I didn't miss a home game that season, so I saw it with my own eyes) translate to the absolute conclusion being made now that this season is going to be a disaster on offense (and hence, the total loss of the team's fortunes)?
              "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

call me crazy but I have absolutely zero worries with this years team.....when the season starts they'll be the youngest team in the NFL with several legit veteran superstar players on defense to go along with several on offense.....leading that whole group though is a vet QB that just so happens to be hitting his prime years and has done nothing but improve every year he's been in the league so far....combine all that with one of the weakest schedules in the NFL for a team that traditionally wins 10+ games playing one of the hardest and I think we've got a recipe for an amazing season.....I honestly have zero worries about the oline, I think Fisher, OGB and big Andre all rise to the occasion this year and play their collective asses off.....jmo.
                potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
                QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
                OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

Originally posted by spicoli View Post
                  call me crazy but I have absolutely zero worries with this years team.....when the season starts they'll be the youngest team in the NFL with several legit veteran superstar players on defense to go along with several on offense.....leading that whole group though is a vet QB that just so happens to be hitting his prime years and has done nothing but improve every year he's been in the league so far....combine all that with one of the weakest schedules in the NFL for a team that traditionally wins 10+ games playing one of the hardest and I think we've got a recipe for an amazing season.....I honestly have zero worries about the oline, I think Fisher, OGB and big Andre all rise to the occasion this year and play their collective asses off.....jmo.

Yep, the Bengals have great athletes. They always have great athletes.

Comment

The fate of 2017 rests completely on the OL. If they play like last year 8-8 at best. If the light comes on with Ced and Fisher, double digit wins should be expected. This team has talent at the skill position. Also, let's not forget our kicking game cost us at least 3 wins last year.
                    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Comment

Originally posted by ralphmtsu View Post
                      The fate of 2017 rests completely on the OL. If they play like last year 8-8 at best. If the light comes on with Ced and Fisher, double digit wins should be expected. This team has talent at the skill position. Also, let's not forget our kicking game cost us at least 3 wins last year.
                      Agree 100% on the OL, if they suck we can neither run or pass. And obviously the rookie kicker has to be much better than last years kickers.
                      Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

OK...back to the top of the thread: Posts 11 and 14 to be exact. Now re-think 8-8 or worse cataclysms

Haven't seen anything from anyone to have a logical deduction otherwise. Still waiting.

Comment

To tell the truth we could be anywhere from 6 wins to 16 wins. If oline shines we are looking at 11 and above.

Comment

With all of their problems last year, if Nugent/Bullock didn't suck they would have won at least three more games.
                            Best group of WRs they've had under Dalton
                            Possibly the most talented RB they've ever had.
                            Semi-Rookies Jackson III and Billings added to the defense along with actual rookies Willis and Lawson.
                            Hopefully the new kicker doesn't choke, Eifert can play a whole season, AJ comes back from his injury with no setbacks and someone steps up at Safety.
                            Only users lose drugs

Comment

Originally posted by Pre_hungover View Post
                              With all of their problems last year, if Nugent/Bullock didn't suck they would have won at least three more games.
                              Best group of WRs they've had under Dalton
                              Possibly the most talented RB they've ever had.
                              Semi-Rookies Jackson III and Billings added to the defense along with actual rookies Willis and Lawson.
                              Hopefully the new kicker doesn't choke, Eifert can play a whole season, AJ comes back from his injury with no setbacks and someone steps up at Safety.
                              and the Def plays like we hope , the new OL holds up, and the coaches play to our strengths and quit trying to force us to play to their weakness

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker57 View Post
                                and the Def plays like we hope , the new OL holds up, and the coaches play to our strengths and quit trying to force us to play to their weakness
                                I think we'll get two out of three....that ain't bad
                                potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
                                QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
                                OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

Working...
                                X