No announcement yet.

Less than a week until training camp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless the OL surprises, 6-10 is realistic. Mikey still has not learned that all the weapons in the world mean shit unless you win the trenches. If we had Rusell Wilson at QB we may have a chance but nay other QB may get killed behind this OL. Fischer already getting scolded by ML for getting knocked around.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

The Bengals never get ANY respect from the NFLN-- especially their studio turds. OL can't get much worse than last year, so I think there is a bounce back of sorts. Speed kills, and we have speed. That will do a lot to cover up the deficiencies of the OL. The defense is going to be better as well. I think they will start 2-0 for sure. Look, they play 2 teams out of the gate who have QB issues. Flacco has a back problem and we don't know who Houston will be starting. I'm in the 10-6 camp. AFC teams who made the playoffs last year that I see having major drop offs are Miami, Houston and Kansas City. AFC South is putrid and Tennessee may walk away with the division. We will be in the thick if the playoff hunt and right on the heals of the Steelers.
      Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Comment

Originally posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
        Unless the OL surprises, 6-10 is realistic. Mikey still has not learned that all the weapons in the world mean shit unless you win the trenches. If we had Rusell Wilson at QB we may have a chance but nay other QB may get killed behind this OL. Fischer already getting scolded by ML for getting knocked around.
        gimme a break.....the only way we see another repeat of last year is if we have a mass injury situation that includes AD and we go through a bunch of kickers.

even last year with as bad as the o-line played and missing Tez, AJ and Eifert for big chunks of the season, they still likely would have been a WC with a decent kicker....think about that for a second.

I'll go on record now and predict that OGB actually finishes with a higher PFF grade at the end of the season than Whit does this year in LA, and they won't miss a beat at LT.

I couldn't care less about what happens in underwear practice, RT will work itself out one way or another...likely with Fish showing much improvement with steady playing time from day one and another off-season under his belt.

I seriously have ZERO worries with this OL, I think they all step up and will be much improved from last year.

my only concern with this entire group stems from the HC, but I actually think they might have enough talent this year with the right mix of vets/youth to overcome his ineptitude.

I'll go ahead and pick them to win the division even in Rapistberger's swan song season....no clue what happens in the playoffs and really couldn't care less until that game actually kicks off.
        Last edited by spicoli; 07-31-2017, 07:32 PM.
        potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
        QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
        OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

I cant see how the OL can even be close to last year. Perhaps by year end if things start to come together. But the two tackles are newbies so they WILL struggle. Bodine is still the suck , we lost Zeitler and I have zero confidence Smith can play more than a few games. The so called stars will have to align for this OL to be even average. If the Ravens or Steelers had this OL situation we would be licking our chops. The second problem on offense is - i have little confidence in Zampese using all the weapons and being creative in a game plan with a weak OL, especially with ML pulling his puppet strings.

Could be wrong, hope I am wrong but I see better than i hear.

I am hopeful that ML will let Guenther run the D the way he wants, I think he is far more aggressive and can use guys like Lawson to create mis-matchs, etc. The D has a nice balance of youth and experience.

Comment

to everyone excited about our skill positions and speed.

unless our OL is better then last year. expect pressure and minimal running lanes from base 4 linemen. leaving 7 to contain and defend the pass. then if we can manage to get in the redzone the 7 defenders will have even less to defend and just like last year we will resort to trickery and gadget plays.

hope i am wrong but i just dont see it yet.

Comment

I can think of several teams whose offensive lines were factually worse than this team's a year ago--and still were playoff teams. Seattle's was quantomly worse, to name one. Green Bay was another. Seattle did it--not with Russell Wilson-but with a great defense. GB did it with skill position--the chief being their QB.

Would anyone care to challenge that this team does not have sufficient talent in those categories to do the job?
              "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker57 View Post
                to everyone excited about our skill positions and speed.

then if we can manage to get in the redzone the 7 defenders will have even less to defend and just like last year we will resort to trickery and gadget plays.
                you ever stop to think that maybe that was because of a lack of weapons more than any other thing?

Comment

i have little confidence in Zampese using all the weapons
                  he's been calling plays for one year.....and what exactly did he have to work with last year?

CJ Uzomah, rookie Tyler Boyd and NE cast-off Brandon Lafell.....you don't think things would have looked a little different with a healthy AJ and Eifert out there together? ....especially in the redzone?

I cant see how the OL can even be close to last year.
                  well they gave up what, 44 sacks last year? most in the league whatever the number was.....and you think what, they're going to give up 60-70 this year lol? cmon man, that's just not how things generally pan out.....guys can improve, things can get better....and they will.

you'd think by listening to some of you that vets are just supposed to play forever and teams are never allowed to move on...or if they do, they can never be as good.

that's just not how it works.
                  Last edited by spicoli; 08-01-2017, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
                    I can think of several teams whose offensive lines were factually worse than this team's a year ago--and still were playoff teams. Seattle's was quantomly worse, to name one. Green Bay was another. Seattle did it--not with Russell Wilson-but with a great defense. GB did it with skill position--the chief being their QB.

Would anyone care to challenge that this team does not have sufficient talent in those categories to do the job?
                    Wilson and Rodgers are far better QB's under pressure than Dalton. Far better QB's period. If we are spending $5-$10M per year LESS on the QB position than we should have put more of the resources into a OL. We know Dalton is not good under pressure, Wilson is often better under pressure than with time. I am not knocking Dalton here, but he is what he is. He needs good line play to succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by spicoli View Post
                      he's been calling plays for one year.....and what exactly did he have to work with last year?

CJ Uzomah, rookie Tyler Boyd and NE cast-off Brandon Lafell.....you don't think things would have looked a little different with a healthy AJ and Eifert out there together? ....especially in the redzone?

well they gave up what, 44 sacks last year? most in the league whatever the number was.....and you think what, they're going to give up 60-70 this year lol? cmon man, that's just not how things generally pan out.....guys can improve, things can get better....and they will.

you'd think by listening to some of you that vets are just supposed to play forever and teams are never allowed to move on...or if they do, they can never be as good.

that's just not how it works.
                      Thanks Marvin - "Guys can improve and they will" - Just like Bodine has improved? Sometimes guys don't improve. And this team has a strong tendency to keep players even when they fail to improve or when they start to decline. I did state that the OL MAY come together at some point but is unrealistic to expect them to be good at all for some time. Too many changes and too many questions.

Comment

I will say it is kind of sad that when the Bengals drafted back to back tackles two years ago, we all thought the line would set for the next 4 years, yet here we are arguing over if the O-line is going to be the weakness of the team.

Comment

Oh... and NUGE IS BACK.....

...in the NFL with the Giants.

Comment

Look, there are ways to cover up OL deficiencies. First, Dalton has one of the fastest releases in the NFL. I think only Brady is faster. Dalton is also one of the better rhythm QBs in the NFL. Sure, he is no Rodgers or Brady, but I think he's better than Wilson. He's the 2nd best QB in the division. He's not chump change back there. Second, for pass protection, you can uses the tight end or h-back to help the tackle by chipping on a block. If you know your weakness, come up with ways to cover it up. Third, go more up tempo. By going up-tempo, you lock defenses into certain player groupings. Finally, encourage teams to blitz. QBs love to see a blitz b/c they know there will be at least one 1 on 1 option if not more. Does the OL suck? Yes. Guess what, we all said that about Pisspukes OL last year. They had huge question marks. Guess what, they were able to pull it together. Finally, the Patriots always find a way to put together a solid OL with a bunch of no-names. Our OL doesn't have to the 1988 version of the OL. They just have to be competent. Skill players will take care of the rest.
                            Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Comment

Dalton is no where near Wilson in pressure situations and big games. Wilson gets BETTER in those situations. I agree that we don't need nor should we expect our OL to be elite. However, defenses today are as smart as offenses and as much as we will want to 'hide' our OL deficiencies, the defenses will work to expose them. I hope they can be average this year but one has to be realistic and having three new players there, one returning player who sucks and a HC who loathes creativity and is horrible at in game adjustments - these are not good indicators of success on the OL for this season. Hopefully, Anderson can stop talking about Bodine long enough to coach up the two tackles who need it. Our coaches have a hard enough time assimilating new players slowly let alone quickly.

The OL right now is a huge red flag for this team, brushing it off is just wearing blinders.

Comment

Dalton is no where near Wilson in pressure situations and big games.
                                Dalton has won plenty off big games and has made plenty of key throws to do it......you can NOT put all of their playoff losses on him.

it took Matt Ryan quite a few years to win a playoff game, you think that's all his fault?

Wilson has lost playoff games and has looked like shit in a couple of those losses....you gonna put those all on him?

Rapistburger looked like dogshit the year our defense imploded in the playoffs.....if Hill doesn't fumble and Pitt loses that game do you blame Rapist?

stop acting like the QB position is holding this team back, it's not...not even close actually.

Comment

Working...
                                X