Less than a week until training camp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    Dalton is no where near Wilson in pressure situations and big games. Wilson gets BETTER in those situations.
    Please stop with this complete and utter bullshit. The Seahawks almost won two Super Bowls in a row . . . but they didn't. I wonder what stopped them from winning it back to back?

Marshawn started running like Jeremy Hill and the Seahawks went from 13-3 to 12-4 to 10-6 to 10-5-1 last year without him. Pass attempts in that time went up from 407 to 452 to 483 to 546 last year. Dalton has thrown over 500 passes in a season four times(1st 3 seasons), 481 once and 386 in just over 12 games two years ago. Wilson's a lot like a young Roethlisburger. The more he's asked to do, the less they win. He had the top scoring defense 3 years in a row(2012-2014) and the last two years they "fell" down to #2 scoring defense.

I live in Alaska and that is considered Seahawks territory so I see 12-16 Seahawk games a year. What's that? Dallas at Green Bay? Sorry! You're getting the Bears at Seattle. Falcons at the Saints? Nope! Try Seahawks @ Jaguars. Wilson is a damn good QB, but he's not why they win games. He makes a lot of bonehead plays too, but also, like a young Roethlisburger, his amazing defense erases many of those mistakes.
    Only users lose drugs

Comment

I agree the OL is a red flag. I've marked as my #1 issue heading into the season with 2 bullets. I am concerned about it, but I suppose my bar is so low for them, it would have to take a complete meltdown for me to be disappointed. I guess none of us will know until we play games that matter.

I'm pinning my hope to a defense that I EXPECT to be top 10 if not type 5 in scoring defense. Over the last half of the season, they were one of the best defenses in terms of points against. If anything, this defense is better than last year. Peko and Maualuga are gone. Minter seems to be a major upgrade in the middle while William Jackson has had a strong couple of practices so far. Of course, Burfict is back and available from week 1. I'm also excited about Lawson-- who might be the steal of the draft for us and give us a complimentary DE with Dunlap. The Broncos won a Super Bowl 2 years ago with a horrendous OL but a strong defense-- also not to mention a gimp at QB in that Super Bowl.
      Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Comment

Originally posted by spicoli View Post
        Dalton has won plenty off big games and has made plenty of key throws to do it......you can NOT put all of their playoff losses on him.

it took Matt Ryan quite a few years to win a playoff game, you think that's all his fault?

Wilson has lost playoff games and has looked like shit in a couple of those losses....you gonna put those all on him?

Rapistburger looked like dogshit the year our defense imploded in the playoffs.....if Hill doesn't fumble and Pitt loses that game do you blame Rapist?

stop acting like the QB position is holding this team back, it's not...not even close actually.
        I am not. I simply accept Dalton for what he is. Fact is, if there was a playoff game to be played i would take Wilson of Ben hands down to play it over Andy. Not blaming him entirely, i am simply saying the others have proven to be at a higher level (not perfect) in big games. IMO Dalton needs a good OL, he is ineffective without one - others like Rodgers, Brady and Wilson can get by with a weaker OL.

And Hill fumbled so why keep saying "if he did not then..". He fumbled, another key suck moment by a player in our recent playoff history. The team has been rife with players who do not make key plays at key moments to win playoff games. Coaches as well of course. I am not even sure how this can be debated. It is 100% fact. Might as well say the earth is 10,000 years old. Good players step up at key times to win big games - this is our pro sports works - champions play as such they dont back into it.
        Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphmtsu View Post
          I agree the OL is a red flag. I've marked as my #1 issue heading into the season with 2 bullets. I am concerned about it, but I suppose my bar is so low for them, it would have to take a complete meltdown for me to be disappointed. I guess none of us will know until we play games that matter.

I'm pinning my hope to a defense that I EXPECT to be top 10 if not type 5 in scoring defense. Over the last half of the season, they were one of the best defenses in terms of points against. If anything, this defense is better than last year. Peko and Maualuga are gone. Minter seems to be a major upgrade in the middle while William Jackson has had a strong couple of practices so far. Of course, Burfict is back and available from week 1. I'm also excited about Lawson-- who might be the steal of the draft for us and give us a complimentary DE with Dunlap. The Broncos won a Super Bowl 2 years ago with a horrendous OL but a strong defense-- also not to mention a gimp at QB in that Super Bowl.
          If ML lets Guenther play the best players we could be a great D.

Comment

The OL is certainly a concern. They've had all year to address it. Hopefully improvements in other areas can balance out what we lose on the OL, if anything. It's too early to panick. Let's see what we've got

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Ray View Post
              The OL is certainly a concern. They've had all year to address it. Hopefully improvements in other areas can balance out what we lose on the OL, if anything. It's too early to panick. Let's see what we've got
              Yes. too early to panic but also too early to simply assume the OL is fine.

Comment

Dalton needs a good OL, he is ineffective without one - others like Rodgers, Brady and Wilson can get by with a weaker OL.
                then how do you explain last year with no weapons, no running game and no oline? and I'm not talking about the w/l record, I'm talking about his ability to hang tough, read the defense under pressure and complete over 65% of his passes while throwing a career low in INT's......again, even with all the stupid shit they had to overcome last year, if they had just made some ####ing kicks they would have been a WC team at worst....and Andy would have been the reason for that.

and you are absolutely high if you think Brady doesn't need a good oline in front of him to be successful....the dude is a freakin statue back there and doesn't have even close to what could be considered a "quick release" .....the thing that makes Brady successful and has always made him successful is the fact that more often than not, the guy has all day to sit back there and scan and throw....when he gets pressured it usually ends in a sack/fumble or an INT.

and give me a break with that Russel Wilson garbage...the guy's played a few good games on some GREAT overall teams (so did Colin Kaperdick once for that matter) but when the talent level hasn't been up to that early standard they set when he broke into the league, he's played some real stinkers for sure.
                potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
                QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
                OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

IC with the predictable obfuscation: the point was (and I repeat), the OFFENSIVE LINES on Seattle and Green Bay were suspect--née substandard--and yet still made the playoffs.

But since IC is going to get stuck on QB's--again predictable--let me toss in two more playoff qualifiers with so-so to substandard offensive lines: Houston and Detroit. How did they get there? Again, either very good defense and/or offense skill position. Want to bring up QB's again?
                  "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

I guess we will all have to wait and see - I won't mind eating crow if we actually win a playoff game or even make the playoffs. I simply don't trust theses coaches (or most of them) to put the right players in, to coach them up and to utilize them to their strengths and hide their weaknesses. Lets's see if marvin still 'eases' rookies in like Mixon even when they are clearly better then guys like Hill. I am a realist and I can't change to an optimist until Marvin proves he can change.

Comment

The O-line isn't a concern to me, it's just a question mark at this point. Let's see how they look in pre-season. Here's my post after Ogbuehi's only start at LT last year.

So I played the game back again as background noise and paid attention to Ogbuehi whenever Cincy had the ball

I'd give him a B plus, maybe an A- because Houston has one tough D.

Both of the sacks he gave up will not be acceptable in Cincinnati until they shore up the interior O-line. If Dalton were allowed to step up in the pocket, both of those sacks would have been pass rushers being pushed around a QB but since Bodine and/or Zetler is often pushed back 5 or 6 yards within one to one and a half seconds, Ogbuehi can't allow people to speed rush the edge. That's impossible. Whit would have most likely given up sacks on those plays. It doesn't matter if it's big Vince Wilfork or a LB, Bodine is pushed back towards the QB on pretty much every passing play.

Most of the game, CO held Clowney in check and was called for zero penalties against a pro bowler. He occasionally had a problem staying with his blocks when they tried an inside move and the Bengals ran to the right. They would just keep heading down the line and just about all that Ced could do was hold but he stayed with them, riding them right down the line towards the ball carrier. When they came straight at him or to his left on running plays to the right, they were out of the play.

He looked way more comfortable at LT against a Pro Bowler than he did at RT against the teams #2 pass rusher. I'm not declaring that the worry of him playing at LT should be forgotten about, but he looked better than he has all season.

Don't forget, the next/last game we all saw the O-line looked awesome(CO did not play and CJ Johnson played pretty good at LG in the 2nd half). Burkhead was running much better than Hill, who sat on the sideline thinking "Follow the FB? What the Hell is that?" I'd take Burkhead over Hill today and I'd DEFINITELY take Mixon over either one of those two. My only question about Mixon is "How much was he asked to pass block at Oklahoma?" Carson Palmer lasted 3 1/2 games after Rudi left mainly because Chris Perry was running out for a pass too soon or was just plain choosing the wrong man to block. Gio senses/reads that part of the game very well. Hill, not so much

I'm pretty confident that Andre Smith can handle the step down from RT to RG. I'm still shocked at the contract that Zeitler got for never sniffing the Pro Bowl. Average player on his good days, vastly overpaid. Playing RT is more difficult than playing RG so I'd call that replacement an upgrade. I could be wrong.

Oh, yeah. One of the other question marks also looked awesome during that last game . . . Ken Zampese. That was his smoothest called game all season long. Let's see what he does with Mixon and Ross added and with hopefully a healthy AJ, Gio and Eifert.

My only two real concerns are the obvious Head Coaching position and Safety and now Iloka is out for most of pre-season, if not all of it? Great. Williams is our most experienced Safety and he was easily my least favorite defensive starter last season and yes that list does include Maualuga, who appears to be out of football.

My list of concerns/questions
                      1)Head Coach
                      2)Safety
                      3)Kicker
                      4)O-line
                      -
                      -
                      -
                      5)Health of last years injured players and Ross
                      6)Mixon's pass blocking abilities are a mystery to me

To be honest, I think this roster is pretty ####in' solid outside of those few question marks.
                      I love their depth at CB.
                      LB looks improved with Minter over Maualuga and Vigil or Lawson over Dansby.
                      DL with Willis, Glasgow, Billings added and Peko gone.
                      WR is probably looking deeper than at any time in the Dalton/Green era.
                      Injuries to the TEs last season showed that they have quality depth.
                      Mixon and Bernard are up there with Brooks and Ickey with hopefully a motivated Hill providing depth.
                      Dalton and McCarron are both very dependable and both know the system inside and out.
                      Huber and Erickson/Ross/Mixon/Pacman cover 2/3 of Special Teams just fine.

Shit, I'm all pumped up now. Let's do this!
                      Only users lose drugs

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
                        IC with the predictable obfuscation: the point was (and I repeat), the OFFENSIVE LINES on Seattle and Green Bay were suspect--née substandard--and yet still made the playoffs.

But since IC is going to get stuck on QB's--again predictable--let me toss in two more playoff qualifiers with so-so to substandard offensive lines: Houston and Detroit. How did they get there? Again, either very good defense and/or offense skill position. Want to bring up QB's again?
                        You might have a point with Houston, but Detroit has Mathew Stafford and he's no slouch. There is a reason he is now one of the highest paid QBs in the NFL.

Do you guys think the Bengals should take a shot at signing Orlando Franklin just in case Fisher doesn't work out at RT and they have to move Andre Smith back there out of the RG spot?

Comment

I am not. I simply accept Dalton for what he is. Fact is, if there was a playoff game to be played i would take Wilson of Ben hands down to play it over Andy. Not blaming him entirely, i am simply saying the others have proven to be at a higher level (not perfect) in big games. IMO Dalton needs a good OL, he is ineffective without one - others like Rodgers, Brady and Wilson can get by with a weaker OL.

And Hill fumbled so why keep saying "if he did not then..". He fumbled, another key suck moment by a player in our recent playoff history. The team has been rife with players who do not make key plays at key moments to win playoff games. Coaches as well of course. I am not even sure how this can be debated. It is 100% fact. Might as well say the earth is 10,000 years old. Good players step up at key times to win big games - this is our pro sports works - champions play as such they dont back into it.
                          Just because Dalton hasn't won a playoff game you discount him. He has won big games during the years without the best of offensive lines. Last year Dalton had no help from the offense. Green, Eifert, and Bernard played 10 games or less. Leaving Dalton with rookies at WR. Before Dalton got injured in 2015 I would have put him against any QB at that time. He was having that good of a year. Consider this Andy has played 6 years with 3 different offensive coordinators. Two who never was an OC in the NFL. Andy in 6 years had to three years where most of his wide receiving core was mostly made up of rookies. Each playoff game there were many injuries to the team and you can't really blame Andy for the losses other than 2011 his rookie year. And you talk about how good Rogers and Wilson are, do you realize that Andy beat both of them when playing against them.

Comment

Does Franklin have any gas left in the tank? I don't know. I'm thinking Andre at guard is now a liability and that Fisher is the cornerstone.
                            Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Comment

I cant see how the OL can even be close to last year. Perhaps by year end if things start to come together. But the two tackles are newbies so they WILL struggle. Bodine is still the suck , we lost Zeitler and I have zero confidence Smith can play more than a few games. The so called stars will have to align for this OL to be even average. If the Ravens or Steelers had this OL situation we would be licking our chops. The second problem on offense is - i have little confidence in Zampese using all the weapons and being creative in a game plan with a weak OL, especially with ML pulling his puppet strings.

Could be wrong, hope I am wrong but I see better than i hear.

I am hopeful that ML will let Guenther run the D the way he wants, I think he is far more aggressive and can use guys like Lawson to create mis-matchs, etc. The D has a nice balance of youth and experience.
                              Folks,the biggest weakness we have for our mighty bengals is of course the stinkin coaches,all of them suck.ML is stupid,the the OC is a joke.He got the gig because he was next in line,he calls a horrible game and I think once again this coaching staff is going to waste a bunch of top talent,hell,we got better talent than most of the league and it super sucks we have this C- coaching.If the stoolers had all this top talent,they would be unstoppable.I am so sick of watching Marvin blow games.he needs to step down and allow a stud coach to take over.We should be super bowl bound,but you watch,one of these goof-off players like pac,man will cost us a must win game because of something stupid he does.Its going to happen because Marvin allows it.I would like to say if everyone stays healthy and games their game and not listen to the dumbass coaches,we could win 12 or more, but its going to be interesting.We have a lot of top studs,if this staff plays them right,and get marvin out of making calls on game day.He sucks.

Comment

Lol
                                potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
                                QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
                                OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

Working...
                                X