Pre_Season game #1 Tampa Bay @ Cincinnati

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spicoli View Post
    and that's pretty much the crux of it right there......I'm sure I could go back and find tape of Whit missing blocks last year as well but since he wasn't always under a constant microscope, it's all good.
    go ahead i doubt youll find whit missing many reg season blocks playing teams top rushers in a game as you will Ced miss blocks playing 1st 2nd and 3rd stringers

why cant you just admit we took a step backwards at LT, I am not saying ced will blow chunks, but based on his history and fri preseason game. he will simply not play as well as whit played last year.
    It just seens to me your trying to make Whit look bad so you wont feel as bad when Ced plays bad. Whit had a very good year last year i will be extremely happy if ced comes even close to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker57 View Post
      go ahead i doubt youll find whit missing many reg season blocks playing teams top rushers in a game as you will Ced miss blocks playing 1st 2nd and 3rd stringers

why cant you just admit we took a step backwards at LT, I am not saying ced will blow chunks, but based on his history and fri preseason game. he will simply not play as well as whit played last year.
      It just seens to me your trying to make Whit look bad so you wont feel as bad when Ced plays bad. Whit had a very good year last year i will be extremely happy if ced comes even close to it.
      I agree, and probably the best we can hope for is the OL keeps Dalton alive early on and they show improvement as the season progresses.
      Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

Lol I'm not trying to make Whit look bad but no player in the NFL wins every match-up on every snap.

I'm just saying that things might be getting a little overblown with Ced in regards to missed blocks simply because he's being watched so closely.
        potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
        QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
        OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

The running game looked mighty good, so I'm assuming the O-line did a good job Friday night.

Comment

Was just reading a Rams news site...and they were blasting every player along the line--other than Whitworth.

Enjoy life in South Central there, Andrew.
            "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

why cant you just admit we took a step backwards at LT
              I have, Spicoli has, I'm pretty sure everyone has, but we've moved on and don't feel the need to mention it in every thread.

You like Whit? You think he's a good LT? Well I think he ####ing sucks compared to Munoz, but we moved on. I was more concerned about LT back when he took over for Levi Jones than I am with Ogbuehi replacing Whitworth. I could be wrong, we'll see. Back then, AW was a clumsy guard moving to tackle and it took him a long time before he was even close to being considered for a 3rd alternate for the probowl. The worst game that I've ever seen by a Bengal at LT, and that list does include Rod Jones and Kevin Sargent, was in 2006, his second year and first year at LT. It was at Indy on a Monday night. Dwight Freeney, who only had 5.5 sacks in all of 2006 despite 16 starts, had three sacks, three forced fumbles(one lost), a couple of passes defensed and about 5 more QB hits/hurries. Another sack/fumble on the last play before the half also came from the left. That told me, "Wow. Even after 13 weeks at LT, he still has a LONG way to go." Well, he got better. If Ogbuehi is a bust, so be it. They'll find out, plug someone else in, maybe move CO to G until his contract is over and then move on.
              Only users lose drugs

Comment

really? he had a bad game against the player ranked 18th in career sacks?

according to PFF : whit ended the 2016 season with the league’s best pass-blocking efficiency score (98.0), allowing just 14 total QB pressures across 561 pass-blocking snaps. Whitworth recorded six games this year in which he had perfect pass-protection games.

and i think whit took over for Jones in 2009. if you want to throw in games he slid over for injuries then compare those games to what you got from Ced last year,

maybe if people didnt try to compare Ced to Whit and act like thats why our offensive line will be fine this year i wouldnt call out the BS as being BS. its not about me having to throw out we lost Whit every thread its more just responding to the comparing a far often injured and sub performing player to a pro bowl player and acting like they are close .

Ced will hopefully be ok. but remember its year 3 for him and his 1st TC and preseason games so dont count on him as being a 3rd year player he's more like a 2nd year player that has only shown he has alot of technique and strength issues. he has alot to work on but at least he will have 3-4 preseason games this year to iron them out.

Comment

who compared Ced to Whit? wasn't me.

I'm simply saying that if you watch any player close enough (including Whit) you're gonna find mistakes and you're gonna see guys get beat every once in awhile......like I said, no player in the NFL wins every snap of every game.

Comment

Originally posted by TD Bengals View Post
                    Smith was great last night. Hopefully he can keep it up. Between Smith, Lawson, and Willis there is a lot to be excited about on the defensive line. It's only one preseason game, but definitely encouraging to see them getting to the QB.
                    If Smith continues to play well, why would we keep MJ and his huge salary? This may be another example of how ML likes to keep veterans well past their useful lives. Hopefully if He gets beat out we cut him and allow younger guys to play.

Comment

really? he had a bad game against the player ranked 18th in career sacks?

according to PFF : whit ended the 2016 season with the league’s best pass-blocking efficiency score (98.0), allowing just 14 total QB pressures across 561 pass-blocking snaps. Whitworth recorded six games this year in which he had perfect pass-protection games.

and i think whit took over for Jones in 2009. if you want to throw in games he slid over for injuries then compare those games to what you got from Ced last year,

maybe if people didnt try to compare Ced to Whit and act like thats why our offensive line will be fine this year i wouldnt call out the BS as being BS. its not about me having to throw out we lost Whit every thread its more just responding to the comparing a far often injured and sub performing player to a pro bowl player and acting like they are close .

Ced will hopefully be ok. but remember its year 3 for him and his 1st TC and preseason games so dont count on him as being a 3rd year player he's more like a 2nd year player that has only shown he has alot of technique and strength issues. he has alot to work on but at least he will have 3-4 preseason games this year to iron them out.

I believe what they are saying is it takes time to become a pro bowler unless you are Munoz. It hurts your game when you take a year off from football (injury). It takes time when the position you are drafted for is fill with a pro bowler. Whitworth never became a pro bowler until 2012 6 years after being drafted and has never been the first choice. He has always been an alternate. I say you have to give Ced a year to see what he can do. He is working with basically a new line.
                      Everyone needs to get off the panic button. You have a young Oline that will only get better. And with so much talent around them they can be adjusted to allow the D line move them to open up other options. Screens and Draws.
                      Last edited by Super Cat; 08-14-2017, 12:22 PM.

Comment

well said ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Super Cat View Post
                          I believe what they are saying is it takes time to become a pro bowler unless you are Munoz. It hurts your game when you take a year off from football (injury). It takes time when the position you are drafted for is fill with a pro bowler. Whitworth never became a pro bowler until 2012 6 years after being drafted and has never been the first choice. He has always been an alternate. I say you have to give Ced a year to see what he can do. He is working with basically a new line.
                          Everyone needs to get off the panic button. You have a young Oline that will only get better. And with so much talent around them they can be adjusted to allow the D line move them to open up other options. Screens and Draws.
                          There is no evidence, at this point, that the OL "will only get better". Bodine never did. It is not panic at this point but a large red flag. As you correctly note the OL is young and needs experience which means growing pains. They *may* turn out fine but we can't say for sure. 3 of the 5 positions are essentially new full time players and another one (center) still sucks. This increases the odds that the OL will struggle. Setting aside hope and wishful thinking, it is a huge task for this OL to be even close to last years unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Cat View Post
                            Well said! I loved big Whit, who I think got away with more holding than anybody I ever knew, but he has moved on. Ced just needs to get better every week and we'll be fine. Sure he's going to miss blocks and assignments. After all that DE is in the NFL and getting paid to put pressure on QBs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
                              Smith has a great motor. With that said, I'll be more excited about him if I start seeing him do that against the first and second stringers and not against the guy that aren't going to make the team. Now let me make a couple observations.

#1. Ogbuehi played ok, last night but he totally whiffed on a block that cost the Bengals a TFL on a run play. He didn't give up any sacks, but the Bengals didn't exactly run any deep routes last night where Dalton or McCarron had to sit in the pocket very long.

#2. Bodine still isn't very good and the Bengals need him to play great this year to hold a suspect line together. He also whiffed on a block that cost a TFL, and that was against second stringers.

#3. Trey Hopkins played well last night. He just might beat out Andre Smith, or if Ogbuehi struggles you may see Hopkins at LT.

#4. Didn't really hear or see much of Fisher getting beat, but at the same time I don't really remember the Bengals running a lot of plays to his side. Most of the run plays were up the middle, but when it comes to lineman, if you don't hear anything about them it is usually a good sign.

#5. I don't care for Joe Mixon's past but he is definitely a hell of a ball player. That screen play where he broke the initial contact and then made two guys miss was really nice.

#6. Hill seemed last night to play with some motivation. I didn't really see him dancing in the hole as much as usual and maybe most importantly, he was falling forward completing his runs. If Mixon and Hill play this way all the time, and Gio can come back healthy and play as dynamically as they say he is in camp, and maybe mix in Tra Carson to replace Peerman, the Bengals have to be one of the deepest RB squads in the league. With the ability to ALWAYS have a fresh guy in the game that can run and has great hands to take part in the passing game, that's a big deal.

#7. Geno blew up a couple of plays, but other than that the DT including Billings really didn't do squat. I was really hoping to see Billings break out in his first game. That Tupou kid that weighs 350 lbs had a nice play where he beat a double team and helped get in on a tackle close to the end zone was nice. He should be on the practice squad.

#8. The Bengals still after all this years can not cover RBs and TEs. I think Tampa was perfect when throwing to TEs last night. They gave up 66 yards to TEs and Tampa's best TE OJ Howard wasn't even playing. I don't understand how a team can have the same problem year after year after year, and not fix it. I understand Iloka wasn't playing, but I kept seeing Minter and Rey get beat and they are supposed to be good in coverage.

#9. The LBs and Secondary are not wrapping up. They are trying to get big hits and not trying to tackle. The worst was probably Burfict at the beginning of the game on Mike Evans. With as good of a defensive line the Bengals should have this year, the LBs should be protected enough to be able to really make some plays. We'll see.

#10. The secondary played ok, giving up a couple big plays, but the biggest thing is Jones was VERY physical and they for some reason just let them play last night. I'm not sure if the refs will let that go in the regular season, or if it could start adding up penalties. Benwikere and Russell played well last night in the second half, that is going to be tough competition for that last spot, though Russell stood out more on special teams and that could be the difference.

#11. The Bengals have a real kicking competition. It's going to be hard to cut a draft pick though so I see the Bengals keeping Elliot, but I think Bullock definitely gets picked up by another team. I'm just glad the Bengals didn't spend a second round pick on a kicker that can't hit extra points.

#12. Thought I would save this one for last. Dalton looked really good until he pulled his old trick of having a brain fart near the endzone. McCarron looked ok though he was just a tad bit off throwing high, but that could have to do with the linemen being pushed back into his face in the pocket. Driskel was horrible and they should cut him tomorrow.

Ok that last part about Driskel isn't true but "I did that as a test to see how many people read my whole post. Driskel played well for a guy against other players that won't make the team so I'm not going to anoint him the next Steve Young until I see him against stiffer competition. He did have one pass that wasn't even close to the receiver and should have been picked off, but other than that I can't knock him.
                              I agree with #8 and it just drives me crazy!! How the hell you allow TEs and RBs to just go out turn around and catch balls is mind boggling!
                              You almost got me with Driskel comment! I was like, "Didn't he watch the game??"

Comment

About our kickers, anyone else the difference between the 2? Elliott's kick were more fluid with a higher trajectory and Bullock puts a lot of energy into his kicks and comes out a low trajectory. I know which one I would keep..

Comment

Working...
                                X