Pre_Season game #1 Tampa Bay @ Cincinnati

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sandwedge View Post
    About our kickers, anyone else the difference between the 2? Elliott's kick were more fluid with a higher trajectory and Bullock puts a lot of energy into his kicks and comes out a low trajectory. I know which one I would keep..
    I don't like either of our kickers. I would have gobbled up Aquayo but the Bears claimed him. Our kickers SUCK.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Comment

Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
      Smith has a great motor. With that said, I'll be more excited about him if I start seeing him do that against the first and second stringers and not against the guy that aren't going to make the team. Now let me make a couple observations.

#1. Ogbuehi played ok, last night but he totally whiffed on a block that cost the Bengals a TFL on a run play. He didn't give up any sacks, but the Bengals didn't exactly run any deep routes last night where Dalton or McCarron had to sit in the pocket very long.

#2. Bodine still isn't very good and the Bengals need him to play great this year to hold a suspect line together. He also whiffed on a block that cost a TFL, and that was against second stringers.

#3. Trey Hopkins played well last night. He just might beat out Andre Smith, or if Ogbuehi struggles you may see Hopkins at LT.

#4. Didn't really hear or see much of Fisher getting beat, but at the same time I don't really remember the Bengals running a lot of plays to his side. Most of the run plays were up the middle, but when it comes to lineman, if you don't hear anything about them it is usually a good sign.

#5. I don't care for Joe Mixon's past but he is definitely a hell of a ball player. That screen play where he broke the initial contact and then made two guys miss was really nice.

#6. Hill seemed last night to play with some motivation. I didn't really see him dancing in the hole as much as usual and maybe most importantly, he was falling forward completing his runs. If Mixon and Hill play this way all the time, and Gio can come back healthy and play as dynamically as they say he is in camp, and maybe mix in Tra Carson to replace Peerman, the Bengals have to be one of the deepest RB squads in the league. With the ability to ALWAYS have a fresh guy in the game that can run and has great hands to take part in the passing game, that's a big deal.

#7. Geno blew up a couple of plays, but other than that the DT including Billings really didn't do squat. I was really hoping to see Billings break out in his first game. That Tupou kid that weighs 350 lbs had a nice play where he beat a double team and helped get in on a tackle close to the end zone was nice. He should be on the practice squad.

#8. The Bengals still after all this years can not cover RBs and TEs. I think Tampa was perfect when throwing to TEs last night. They gave up 66 yards to TEs and Tampa's best TE OJ Howard wasn't even playing. I don't understand how a team can have the same problem year after year after year, and not fix it. I understand Iloka wasn't playing, but I kept seeing Minter and Rey get beat and they are supposed to be good in coverage.

#9. The LBs and Secondary are not wrapping up. They are trying to get big hits and not trying to tackle. The worst was probably Burfict at the beginning of the game on Mike Evans. With as good of a defensive line the Bengals should have this year, the LBs should be protected enough to be able to really make some plays. We'll see.

#10. The secondary played ok, giving up a couple big plays, but the biggest thing is Jones was VERY physical and they for some reason just let them play last night. I'm not sure if the refs will let that go in the regular season, or if it could start adding up penalties. Benwikere and Russell played well last night in the second half, that is going to be tough competition for that last spot, though Russell stood out more on special teams and that could be the difference.

#11. The Bengals have a real kicking competition. It's going to be hard to cut a draft pick though so I see the Bengals keeping Elliot, but I think Bullock definitely gets picked up by another team. I'm just glad the Bengals didn't spend a second round pick on a kicker that can't hit extra points.

#12. Thought I would save this one for last. Dalton looked really good until he pulled his old trick of having a brain fart near the endzone. McCarron looked ok though he was just a tad bit off throwing high, but that could have to do with the linemen being pushed back into his face in the pocket. Driskel was horrible and they should cut him tomorrow.

Ok that last part about Driskel isn't true but "I did that as a test to see how many people read my whole post. Driskel played well for a guy against other players that won't make the team so I'm not going to anoint him the next Steve Young until I see him against stiffer competition. He did have one pass that wasn't even close to the receiver and should have been picked off, but other than that I can't knock him.
      I was about to call you out on that Driskel comment. lol He makes moves the Little Red BB Gun wish he could do. He is a turtle!
      "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphmtsu View Post
        I don't like either of our kickers. I would have gobbled up Aquayo but the Bears claimed him. Our kickers SUCK.
        What did you see that makes you think our kickers suck? Aquayo was 3Xs worse than Nugent last year and still terrible. You haven't a clue what you are saying...

Comment

Originally posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
          There is no evidence, at this point, that the OL "will only get better". Bodine never did. It is not panic at this point but a large red flag. As you correctly note the OL is young and needs experience which means growing pains. They *may* turn out fine but we can't say for sure. 3 of the 5 positions are essentially new full time players and another one (center) still sucks. This increases the odds that the OL will struggle. Setting aside hope and wishful thinking, it is a huge task for this OL to be even close to last years unit.
          well said.. ( lol crap .....i cant find the damn up arrow characters to copy you ..)

no panic here, i just cant see holding a pumpkin seed and commenting on how well my pumpkins will be ...

Comment

Originally posted by Super Cat View Post
            I believe what they are saying is it takes time to become a pro bowler unless you are Munoz. It hurts your game when you take a year off from football (injury). It takes time when the position you are drafted for is fill with a pro bowler. Whitworth never became a pro bowler until 2012 6 years after being drafted and has never been the first choice. He has always been an alternate. I say you have to give Ced a year to see what he can do. He is working with basically a new line.
            Everyone needs to get off the panic button. You have a young Oline that will only get better. And with so much talent around them they can be adjusted to allow the D line move them to open up other options. Screens and Draws.
            i agree with you on it takes time .. and i have said many time this is actually ceds 1st true TC put those together coupled with his lack luster RT performance last yearand i form the opinion, you dont have to watch closely to see his mistakes. hes young , hes new , hes gonna make them. lol unlike the other guy.

Comment

Originally posted by spicoli View Post
              who compared Ced to Whit? wasn't me.

I'm simply saying that if you watch any player close enough (including Whit) you're gonna find mistakes and you're gonna see guys get beat every once in awhile......like I said, no player in the NFL wins every snap of every game.
              sorry thats the way it read to me and mistook your meaning. except whit was i believe the top rated LT last year so to me it read the same as, i am sure if you looked close enough at Aaron Rodgers you'll see he makes mistakes just like Andy...

Comment

Originally posted by sandwedge View Post
                What did you see that makes you think our kickers suck? Aquayo was 3Xs worse than Nugent last year and still terrible. You haven't a clue what you are saying...
                Bullock is a journeyman-- the typical Bengal way of dealing with the kicking position. Elliot is an unproven rookie. Maybe it is just me, but I get the feeling the Bengals devalue the kicking position. We never seem to have that "guy" you know you can count on to make the crucial kick. Maybe I'm biased, but I saw Aquayo play in college. He was clutch on every kick by FSU. They had no qualms about marching him out there for 50+ yard field goals. I just think he got a mental block in Tampa. I can see him having a solid career. As Spicoli points out, if we had a competent FG kicker last year, this team would have won at least 9 games if not more.
                Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Comment

As Spicoli points out, if we had a competent FG kicker last year, this team would have won at least 9 games if not more.
                  9 games at worst!!

and that's with no running game, shit pass protection and no Green, Eifert or Burfict for big chunks of the season.

oh what could have been...
                  potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
                  QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
                  OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

Originally posted by Maldez View Post
                    Dear god in heaven, I'd rather watch a game with the Mute on than suffer through the goofy lilt of Brad Johansen.
                    He is horrible but Munoz ain't so great either. Take a drink everytime he says "he really is..."

Comment

The Bad-- I wad not impressed at all with the first team defense. They allowed a 90+yard drive right out of the gate. No pass rush or pressure whatsoever on Winston. Secondary did not cover well. I hope I'm wrong, but the way the first unit played is going to leave us very frustrated. They are going to be one of these bend but don't break defenses. They are going to give up a ton of yards but stiffen in the red-zone. The only positive thing I can say is that we have depth. Then again, it is hard to tell back up talent playing against back up talent. One back up that impressed me was Evans.
                      You can't really expect the defense to get much pressure on the QB when the offense is leaving extra guys in to protect and the D plays vanilla, as in no blitzes or stunts. The worst player I saw on the first team defense was Michael Johnson. I'll be disappointed if he lasts till the 3rd or 4th preseason game.

Comment

Bullock is a journeyman-- the typical Bengal way of dealing with the kicking position. Elliot is an unproven rookie. Maybe it is just me, but I get the feeling the Bengals devalue the kicking position. We never seem to have that "guy" you know you can count on to make the crucial kick. Maybe I'm biased, but I saw Aquayo play in college. He was clutch on every kick by FSU. They had no qualms about marching him out there for 50+ yard field goals. I just think he got a mental block in Tampa. I can see him having a solid career. As Spicoli points out, if we had a competent FG kicker last year, this team would have won at least 9 games if not more.
                        Spending a 5th rd pick on a K isn't devaluing it. To the contrary, it qualifies as making it a priority. Teams don't spend 5th rd picks on kickers very often

Comment

Our local CFL team used to devalue the kicker. Then last year in FA they got the best one in the league and he won us 3 games on his own, and won two more so far this year. Critical position in close games.
                          Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

OL - so for those who watch the games closer than I do, should we be starting Hopkins at guard and possibly TJ at centre? Going with the best group theory given Andre is hurt again and Bodine is the suck
                            Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

Hopkins definitely needs to be in the starting line-up, that kid has a chance to be really good IMO he just needed good health and an opportunity to impress......strong as a bull, very smart, pretty good athlete and reeeeally long arms....nice traits to have for a RG.....Dave Lapham was really gushing about the Redmond kid as well but I don't know much about him though.....my guess is Andre gets cut......Bodine is apparently sleeping with someone with power.

also, don't sleep on Westerman.....that kid was a monster at ASU and a lot of draft "experts" had R2 grades on him, the kid can play for sure.
                              potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
                              QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
                              OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

Andre is not getting cut...that is just silly Spic.
                                "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

Working...
                                X