Way too early ranking of AFC teams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way too early ranking of AFC teams

Here are my rankings of the AFC teams as we are about to head into the start of the season:

1 New England-- Defending champs and still the class of the conference (NFL's version of Alabama and Ohio State)
    2 Pittsburgh-- The have quietly built a talented roster, but are not as invincible as some would have you think. Big Ben is an injury away from Landry Jones at QB.
    3 Oakland-- From here, things get dicey in rating teams. but they have the offensive weapons and a good OL. Defense has some questions.
    4 Cincinnati-- If they get competent OL play and the defense performs like they did at the end of the year, Bengals could challenge Steelers.
    5 Tennessee-- I might be buying into the hype, but someone has to win the AFC South and the Titans look like the most stable team
    6 Kansas City-- I don't think they will be as good as last year. Plus, they have a potential QB controversy brewing.
    7 Denver-- I want to put them lower, but that defense is just too good.
    8 San Diego-- This is my sleeper. They could come out of nowhere and blow the entire AFC West apart. Think 2009 Bengals.
    9 Houston-- With that defense, I want to put them higher, but their offense is underwhelming and with an unproven QB
    10 Miami-- Constant teases. Made playoffs last year as a fluke/Bengals kickers couldn't kick. One thing you can count on. Jay Cutler will throw that crucial INT late in a game.
    11 Baltimore-- One of the most over-hyped teams. Flacco's back is an issue and they have been devastated with injuries.
    12 Indy-- When I think of this team, I think soft. Luck is a question mark on a team already with suspect talent. No Luck, no chance.
    13 Bills-- Recovering from Rex Ryan will take several years and Tyrod Taylor is not a QB to knock off Brady.
    14 Browns/Jags tie -- The Browns are not going to be as bad as last year. I expect 4 wins or so out of them. The Jags are a mess at QB right now and will not live up to expectations of a rising defense.
    16 J-E-T-S Jets, Jets Jets-- Let's face it. This team is already on the clock for next year's draft.

Playoff projections: Pats, Steelers, Raider, Bengals, Titans and Chiefs.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Watching them in preseason, the Browns look like they could go 8-8 or so. I'm sure they'll find some way to screw up, though. They'll start Osweiler, Kessler will get injured, somebody will get arrested...

Comment

Originally posted by TD Bengals View Post
      Watching them in preseason, the Browns look like they could go 8-8 or so. I'm sure they'll find some way to screw up, though. They'll start Osweiler, Kessler will get injured, somebody will get arrested...
      Their offensive line has gotten a lot better this year and Isaiah Crowell still scares the heck out of me. FWIW, they're starting Kizer tonight.
      "She's a Browns fan. She doesn't know anything about the playoffs." Chuck Todd referring to Kelly O'Donnell on "Meet the Press"

"The Browns are so low in national esteem that they troll the football equivalent of the thermal vents at the bottom of the Marianas Trench in the Pacific. This is the deepest point on the surface of the earth. Strange creatures live there and also in Berea." Bill Livingston-The Plain Dealer

Comment

Originally posted by shebengal View Post
        Their offensive line has gotten a lot better this year and Isaiah Crowell still scares the heck out of me. FWIW, they're starting Kizer tonight.
        Yeah, I said Kessler, I meant Kizer.

Comment

I live in Baltimore so I see too much of the Ravens unfortunately. Their front 7 on defense looks to be ferocious. Pair the defense with Justin Tucker and their coaching, you should see a lot of low-scoring games that come down to Tucker hitting a winning field goal. The Ravens can go either 5-11, 8-8, or 11-5 based on this. I lean more towards 8-8 and 11-5. Week 1 in Cincinnati is going to be a huge test for the offensive line and the offense overall. I see our wide receivers WAY better than their secondary and our defense able to stop anything their offense tries. But their defensive line and linebackers could easily wreak havoc for Dalton and the running game.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphmtsu View Post
            Here are my rankings of the AFC teams as we are about to head into the start of the season:

1 New England-- Defending champs and still the class of the conference (NFL's version of Alabama and Ohio State)
            2 Pittsburgh-- The have quietly built a talented roster, but are not as invincible as some would have you think. Big Ben is an injury away from Landry Jones at QB.
            3 Oakland-- From here, things get dicey in rating teams. but they have the offensive weapons and a good OL. Defense has some questions.
            4 Cincinnati-- If they get competent OL play and the defense performs like they did at the end of the year, Bengals could challenge Steelers.
            5 Tennessee-- I might be buying into the hype, but someone has to win the AFC South and the Titans look like the most stable team
            6 Kansas City-- I don't think they will be as good as last year. Plus, they have a potential QB controversy brewing.
            7 Denver-- I want to put them lower, but that defense is just too good.
            8 San Diego-- This is my sleeper. They could come out of nowhere and blow the entire AFC West apart. Think 2009 Bengals.
            9 Houston-- With that defense, I want to put them higher, but their offense is underwhelming and with an unproven QB
            10 Miami-- Constant teases. Made playoffs last year as a fluke/Bengals kickers couldn't kick. One thing you can count on. Jay Cutler will throw that crucial INT late in a game.
            11 Baltimore-- One of the most over-hyped teams. Flacco's back is an issue and they have been devastated with injuries.
            12 Indy-- When I think of this team, I think soft. Luck is a question mark on a team already with suspect talent. No Luck, no chance.
            13 Bills-- Recovering from Rex Ryan will take several years and Tyrod Taylor is not a QB to knock off Brady.
            14 Browns/Jags tie -- The Browns are not going to be as bad as last year. I expect 4 wins or so out of them. The Jags are a mess at QB right now and will not live up to expectations of a rising defense.
            16 J-E-T-S Jets, Jets Jets-- Let's face it. This team is already on the clock for next year's draft.

Playoff projections: Pats, Steelers, Raider, Bengals, Titans and Chiefs.
            Unfortunately the Bengals are approx. the 4th best non-division-winner this year, no way are they 4th best AFC team.
            ///M
            The most powerful letter in the alphabet

Comment

Steelers signed Haden.
              Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

Originally posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
                Steelers signed Haden.
                Unfortunately one of the Steelers' weaknesses was their DBs, now that's changed.

Comment

Only 10 cornerbacks allowed more adjusted yards per pass last year than Haden, according to the 2017 Football Outsiders Almanac, and he had surgery in the offseason after multiple groin injuries hampered his performance on the field.
                  https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/8...ased-by-browns

Comment

Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
                    Unfortunately one of the Steelers' weaknesses was their DBs, now that's changed.
                    Why, is he gonna miraculously get young AND good again??

Not likely.
                    potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
                    QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
                    OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

The rankings were indeed far too early
                      Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

Working...
                      X