Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burfict Facing ANOTHER Suspension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Perhaps it's worthy of a 15 yard penalty. That's a judgment call. But what makes it worthy of a 5 game suspension? Since when do players get 5 game suspensions for penalties on a football field? He wasn't going for the head nor did he injure the player so what makes this a huge suspension?

    Burfict cannot play football if he's going to get a 5 or more game suspension everytime he gets flagged (or not flagged as is the case here) for a personal foul. Sorry but that's just BS. I'd say that about any player, Ryan Shazier included. You can't suspend guys for things that happen in a split second on a football field. For all of Burfict's issues he's never had an issue off the field

    Comment


    • #17
      If that was a "launch"...he should apply for an advisory chair on Kim Jong Un's missle system development programs. Neither get off the ground. And, much like the Antonio Flop, he is moving at full speed with another guy who is moving full speed. So much for this corrupt league's interpretation of a "supine/defenseless" player.

      They say this is a "new rule", but it looks curiously like an application of the post-Stealer abomination where they initiated a rule due to the Shazier assassination of Gio. But, because it's the NFL, rules are made/formed/created in vacuums and are rarely enforced (unless it is to show their "integrity").

      What a farce of a league.
      "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

      Comment


      • #18
        I would take the commissioner out of these decisions. This should be done by a small committee with an NFL representative, an NFLPA representative and a representative for the officials. Maybe expand it to five reps with each team getting their say. They're hurting one player to "protect" another player.
        Only users lose drugs

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
          If that was a "launch"...he should apply for an advisory chair on Kim Jong Un's missle system development programs. Neither get off the ground. And, much like the Antonio Flop, he is moving at full speed with another guy who is moving full speed. So much for this corrupt league's interpretation of a "supine/defenseless" player.

          They say this is a "new rule", but it looks curiously like an application of the post-Stealer abomination where they initiated a rule due to the Shazier assassination of Gio. But, because it's the NFL, rules are made/formed/created in vacuums and are rarely enforced (unless it is to show their "integrity").

          What a farce of a league.
          That is kind of so sad you have to laugh. The Bengals get penalized by the league for a penalty that was made because of a blown call in a playoff game that happened TO THEM. I mean guys in the NFL front office have to be writing this sh it like they are making an episode of SNL right?

          Comment


          • #20
            The way the NFL is handling Burfict they're making him play like he has 4 fouls in college basketball for the entire game. It sucks

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Sea Ray View Post
              Perhaps it's worthy of a 15 yard penalty. That's a judgment call. But what makes it worthy of a 5 game suspension? Since when do players get 5 game suspensions for penalties on a football field? He wasn't going for the head nor did he injure the player so what makes this a huge suspension?
              I definitely don't get what makes this hit worthy of a five game suspension, regardless of Burfict's past history. He didn't lead with the crown of the helmet. While I don't know that I'd say Burfict "launched" himself into Sherman, he did lean in to deliver an unnecessarily hard blow. His helmet and/or shoulder may have contacted Sherman's helmet (hard to tell for sure), but it was certainly not a head-hunting hit...the force of the hit was to the shoulder. I'm not sure whether the five-yard rule applies in this situation.

              I can understand a one game suspension. Given Burfict's history, I could see how two games could be justified...maybe even three. But five? For a hit during the preseason that would have unquestionably have been legal last season? Give me a break!

              Comment


              • #22
                The NFL gets itself in trouble once again with a new rule that is more confusing to interpret then it is intended to take out of the game. AT WORST, there should be zero suspension and the league should use the video to show refs and players how the rule works
                Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by TD Bengals View Post
                  I definitely don't get what makes this hit worthy of a five game suspension, regardless of Burfict's past history. He didn't lead with the crown of the helmet. While I don't know that I'd say Burfict "launched" himself into Sherman, he did lean in to deliver an unnecessarily hard blow. His helmet and/or shoulder may have contacted Sherman's helmet (hard to tell for sure), but it was certainly not a head-hunting hit...the force of the hit was to the shoulder. I'm not sure whether the five-yard rule applies in this situation.

                  I can understand a one game suspension. Given Burfict's history, I could see how two games could be justified...maybe even three. But five? For a hit during the preseason that would have unquestionably have been legal last season? Give me a break!
                  There's really 2 different issues here.

                  Is this a 15 yard penalty? IMO the answer's no but I think the NFL has turned its uniforms in for a bunch of skirts. The game isn't nearly as fun as it once was. But I have an open mind and I'm fine if the officials on the field called this an unnecessary roughness. This is not like the Mike Carey call on Justin Smith where it was just 100% egregious. I'm fine with either call here.

                  Is it a suspendable offense and if so, how many games?

                  This is the provocative question. Since it's borderline and a new rule that even the Refs are trying to get their head around, I say no to a suspension. If once must happen, one game tops. A 5 gamer for this is crap

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    i seriously think the 5 game suspension was done for 2 reasons. 1 to grab headlines . and 2 so they could do him a favor and reduce it to 1 game. if they started out with 1 or 2 i expect it would get dropped on appeal. i say legal hit within the rules, but i believe the league ( commish) hears the appeal of his own ruling.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      The whole idea of "defenseless receiver" is crap, especially if he's running a route.

                      Just like William Munny said in "Unforgiven":. "He should have armed himself if he was gonna decorate his saloon with my friend", any receiver running a route should expect to "defend himself".

                      https://youtu.be/PXxOcNYBE20
                      ///M
                      The most powerful letter in the alphabet

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Defenseless player is utterly ridiculous. You are running across the middle of the field. EXPECT to get hit. This is football. The is NOTHING defenseless about running across the middle. You intended to do that. Live with the consequences. Give me real football-- not this panzy crap we have now.
                        Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          The NFL has full control over most matters of player discipline. The NFL does not have full control over the discipline issued for on-field misconduct.

                          In such cases, one of two hearing officers jointly appointed and compensated by the NFL handles the case. The two options are Hall of Fame linebacker Derrick Brooks and former NFL receiver James Thrash.

                          Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Thrash will handle the Burfict appeal.

                          The threshold question, before assessing whether Burfict should be suspended five games under the concept of progressive discipline, will be whether the hit on Chiefs fullback Anthony Sherman was illegal. Arguably, it wasn’t.

                          Since Brooks played linebacker and Thrash played receiver, some may say Brooks would be more likely to side with Burfict and Thrash would be more likely to go the other way. Regardless, Thrash will be making the final decision, and if he thinks the hit wasn’t a violation of the rules, Burfict won’t be punished at all.
                          Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            IF this suspension gets upheld, there is simply no sense in signing Burfict long term?
                            Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Wow. Really? That would have been applauded as restrained and effective in the 70s. Hell. The 90s. 10 years ago.
                              Wtf is he supposed to do different? That would be my question.
                              Dona eis Requiem

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
                                IF this suspension gets upheld, there is simply no sense in signing Burfict long term?
                                Yeah I would agree with that
                                potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
                                QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
                                OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X