Game Day Thread: Bengals vs Packers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    I dare anybody to bring up a QB that the Bengals were in position of grabbing instead of Dalton in 2011 and/or anybody to replace him since then up to 2017.

Simple task.

Every FA, every draft.

Name the QB that should be here instead of Dalton.

AJ McCarron is not an option.

Good luck!
    Dak Prescott went in the 4th round of the NFL Draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maldez View Post
      Russel Wilson went in the 3rd round of the 2012 Draft...Cincy passed on him to select Dre Kirkpatrick, Kevin Zeitler and Devon Still .
      What would be grounds for replacing Dalton with a third rounder after he led them to the playoffs in his rookie season with no OTAs and a delayed training camp leading into that season. Replacing last year's 2nd round success with a rookie third rounder.

I disagree based on it pretty much being non-realistic.
      Originally posted by Maldez View Post
      Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr were both available to Cincy in the 2014 Draft.
      You think Teddy Bridgewater is a better QB than Dalton?

I strongly disagree.

Carr, possibly but you're talking about gambling on a first rounder after Dalton and the Bengals improved for three straight seasons(9-7, 10-6, 11-5), hitting the third highest point total in Bengals history while running the youngest offense in the NFL for his first two years and second youngest in his third year(replaced at #1 by Bortles and the Jags).

That's a really hard sell.
      Trevor Siemian went in the 7th round of the 2015 Draft.
      And he was drafted to be the back-up and emergency depth after the retirement of Manning and defection by Osweiler but won the job due to Lynch not being able to pick up the playbook. Cincinnati's defense is nowhere near as good as Denver's and most of the Dalton haters claim that the Bengals win because of the defense and not Dalton. 2015 is also Dalton's best year by far before the thumb injury. Siemian may have been drafted here, but he wouldn't be the starter.
      Dak Prescott went in the 4th round of the NFL Draft.
      Riiiiight. Let's wait a bit on that. Kaepernick was pretty popular on this board after his first year of playing. We'll see this year after NFL coordinators have an off-season of studying him on film. Jerry Jones expected Romo to still play a couple more years so Prescott was drafted to be the backup. After Romo's injury, he walked into a spot behind the best offensive line in football, a HOF TE and handed off to the NFL rushing champ. When has Dalton had anything like that to work with?

And before you guys list more . . . think of the coaches they have and Dalton has Marvin Lewis.
      Only users lose drugs

Comment

• https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ast/105990040/

Comment

What would be grounds for replacing Dalton with a third rounder after he led them to the playoffs in his rookie season with no OTAs and a delayed training camp leading into that season. Replacing last year's 2nd round success with a rookie third rounder.

I disagree based on it pretty much being non-realistic.

You think Teddy Bridgewater is a better QB than Dalton?

I strongly disagree.

Carr, possibly but you're talking about gambling on a first rounder after Dalton and the Bengals improved for three straight seasons(9-7, 10-6, 11-5), hitting the third highest point total in Bengals history while running the youngest offense in the NFL for his first two years and second youngest in his third year(replaced at #1 by Bortles and the Jags).

That's a really hard sell.

And he was drafted to be the back-up and emergency depth after the retirement of Manning and defection by Osweiler but won the job due to Lynch not being able to pick up the playbook. Cincinnati's defense is nowhere near as good as Denver's and most of the Dalton haters claim that the Bengals win because of the defense and not Dalton. 2015 is also Dalton's best year by far before the thumb injury. Siemian may have been drafted here, but he wouldn't be the starter.

Riiiiight. Let's wait a bit on that. Kaepernick was pretty popular on this board after his first year of playing. We'll see this year after NFL coordinators have an off-season of studying him on film. Jerry Jones expected Romo to still play a couple more years so Prescott was drafted to be the backup. After Romo's injury, he walked into a spot behind the best offensive line in football, a HOF TE and handed off to the NFL rushing champ. When has Dalton had anything like that to work with?

And before you guys list more . . . think of the coaches they have and Dalton has Marvin Lewis.
          You just said to name some QBs. Simple task you said. Your criteria didn't include realism, lol.
          Dona eis Requiem

Comment

• Originally posted by Maldez View Post
            Why did Cincy draft AJ McCarron if they don't play him? If not now, when?
            He was a 5th round pick. A prospect. He has shown some flashes of good play and some not. If you hand him the keys now you are basically saying to the team (a) the season is done (b) the HC is desperate and (c) Dalton is done here. Is he better the Dalton? Unknown but I am sure most here would agree he most likely does not have the elite skill set every team looks for. I personally have no issue playing him later in the season if/when it is clear it is over. Dalton can be streaky and could very well get on a hot streak.

But moving forward, i would look for a better QB and he can sit for a year or battle for the spot with Dalton.
            Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

• I strongly disagree.

That's a really hard sell

Not if you know Dalton had a ceiling. Anyone who thought differently was sadly mistaken. This team would not even consider drafting another QB high because of fear that player would not be as good, or the pick would be a bust or it would hurt poor Andy's feelings. They like to be 'comfortable' and for several years Dalton provided that but nothing more. The Pats drafted a QB in the second round when they had the best QB in the league!
              Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

• Originally posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
                The Pats drafted a QB in the second round when they had the best QB in the league!
                yeah to be a back-up, not to come in and compete for the starting job ...I don't even see how the two are comparable.
                potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
                QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
                OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

• Originally posted by spicoli View Post
                  yeah to be a back-up, not to come in and compete for the starting job ...I don't even see how the two are comparable.
                  I don't think that's accurate. I think they did draft him to be Brady's heir apparent and he just might end up being exactly that

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Ray View Post
                    I don't think that's accurate. I think they did draft him to be Brady's heir apparent and he just might end up being exactly that
                    the heir apparent to what? Garoppolo will have been long gone before that job ever comes open again.

Brady will play for another 5+ years if he stays healthy, IMO.....and really, why shouldn't he?

Comment

• Here is to blame for the loss in descending order:

1) The refs-- that was THE worst PI call ever on PacMan in the early part of the game. Also, overturning the fumble directly resulted in a GB TD. That was a fumble. GET RID OF REPLAY NOW!!!!!
                      2) Bulluck-- misses a FG
                      3) Dalton for taking too many sacks instead of getting rid of the ball. He took us out of FG range several times.
                      4) Coaching-- still too damn predictable.
                      Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Comment

• Originally posted by spicoli View Post
                        the heir apparent to what? Garoppolo will have been long gone before that job ever comes open again.

Brady will play for another 5+ years if he stays healthy, IMO.....and really, why shouldn't he?
                        First of all they didn't count on Brady playing into his 40s when they drafted Jimmy G. Even now there's some chatter about whether they'll try to keep him for another yr or two.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Ray View Post
                          First of all they didn't count on Brady playing into his 40s when they drafted Jimmy G. Even now there's some chatter about whether they'll try to keep him for another yr or two.
                          okay

Comment

• Originally posted by SladeX View Post
                            You just said to name some QBs. Simple task you said. Your criteria didn't include realism, lol.
                            Yep, don't go modifying your requirements on the fly...you simply asked "I dare anybody to bring up a QB that the Bengals were in position of grabbing instead of Dalton in 2011 and/or anybody to replace him since then up to 2017. "

You asked, I gave.

Comment

I dare anybody to bring up a QB that the Bengals were in position of grabbing instead of Dalton in 2011 and/or anybody to replace him since then up to 2017.

Simple task.

Every FA, every draft.

Name the QB that should be here instead of Dalton.

AJ McCarron is not an option.

Good luck!
                              Why is McCarron not an option? He's got a stronger arm than Dalton, he has better pocket awareness, he's way more of a leader. Dalton has a higher accuracy percentage, but he also has too many balls that are no where close to the receiver. When Dalton's on, he's on. When he's not, he's dreadful.

When filling in for Dalton at the end of 2015, McCarron had a 97 QB rating, with 6 TDs, 2 INTs, and a 66% completion percentage. He wasn't great in the playoff game, but he was good enough for the Bengals to have a chance to win (we had the game won if it hadn't been for Hill's fumble or Burfict and Jones being stupid).

McCarron is a free agent at the end of the year and Dalton can be cut with minimal salary cap implications.

Dalton puts up pretty good stats, but there are too many times when he misses a crucial throw, takes an inopportune sack, or throws a pick in the redzone. If Dalton struggles in either or both of the next two games and the Bengals are all but eliminated from serious playoff contention, I'd absolutely give McCarron a look.

As for where McCarron was drafted, don't forget that some quarterback for the Patriots was drafted in the 6th round and he seems to have turned out okay.

Comment

• Originally posted by TD Bengals View Post
                                Why is McCarron not an option? He's got a stronger arm than Dalton, he has better pocket awareness, he's way more of a leader. Dalton has a higher accuracy percentage, but he also has too many balls that are no where close to the receiver. When Dalton's on, he's on. When he's not, he's dreadful.

When filling in for Dalton at the end of 2015, McCarron had a 97 QB rating, with 6 TDs, 2 INTs, and a 66% completion percentage. He wasn't great in the playoff game, but he was good enough for the Bengals to have a chance to win (we had the game won if it hadn't been for Hill's fumble or Burfict and Jones being stupid).

McCarron is a free agent at the end of the year and Dalton can be cut with minimal salary cap implications.

Dalton puts up pretty good stats, but there are too many times when he misses a crucial throw, takes an inopportune sack, or throws a pick in the redzone. If Dalton struggles in either or both of the next two games and the Bengals are all but eliminated from serious playoff contention, I'd absolutely give McCarron a look.

As for where McCarron was drafted, don't forget that some quarterback for the Patriots was drafted in the 6th round and he seems to have turned out okay.
                                CincyJungle showed a stat about Dalton yesterday that is very reflective of what a lot of people say. When Dalton gets rid of the ball in less than 2.5 seconds, meaning he has a primary WR he is throwing to, he has an 80% completion percentage this year. When it is longer than 2.5 seconds and he has to make reads to find a secondary WR, it drops to something around 40%. It shows a couple of things, how dependent Dalton is to his primary WR getting open off the line of scrimmage, and that Dalton is not good at scanning the field to find an open WR.

Comment

Working...
                                X