No announcement yet.

Game Day Thread: Bengals vs Packers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think about this. ML gets fired. The next coach is going to want his QB-- be it a draft pick or a free agent, or via a trade. I'm pretty certain Mike Brown will bring in an offensive minded coach (Jon Gruden pleeeeaaaassssse!). Do you think that coach is going to want Dalton? Or even for that matter McCarron? Who knows? Hell, I'd try to convince Tony Romo to come out of retirement if we had the right coach.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Comment

• Originally posted by ralphmtsu View Post
      Think about this. ML gets fired. The next coach is going to want his QB-- be it a draft pick or a free agent, or via a trade. I'm pretty certain Mike Brown will bring in an offensive minded coach (Jon Gruden pleeeeaaaassssse!). Do you think that coach is going to want Dalton? Or even for that matter McCarron? Who knows? Hell, I'd try to convince Tony Romo to come out of retirement if we had the right coach.

I think the Bengals are more in a win-now mode like when Tony Dungy was fired in Tampa Bay, Gruden came in and won a Super Bowl with the same roster. I don't see a fire-sale like when Jimmy Johnson came in and got rid of everybody in 1988 with the Cowboys.

Comment

• jon gruden isnt coming here. every year we hope for tier 1 FAs , never happens, every coaching change we hope for a solid well experienced and respected coach. it just does not happen. the only way you are going to get a head coach with any nfl experience is if he is already employed as a asst coach by the bengals. and then you have the same chance at getting one from the asst. that doesnt.

and most head coaches with experience dont want to come here.

Comment

• For what it's worth, Dalton was 21 for 27 (78% completion) for 212 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs against Green Bay for a 124.1 passer rating in his first game with the new coordinator. He deserves the chance to see if he can keep it going over the next few games.

You don't bench him after a good game. Despite 2 badly missed throws and not seeing a wide open LaFell, he did have a good game.

If he blows chunks against Cleveland and Buffalo then it's McCarron's time.

I do think McCarron will be a quality starter (if not for the Bengals then for somebody). He's a winner. He had the playoff game won if Hill had not fumbled and he took the eventual Super Bowl champions to overtime on the road in Denver.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stryker57 View Post
            jon gruden isnt coming here. every year we hope for tier 1 FAs , never happens, every coaching change we hope for a solid well experienced and respected coach. it just does not happen. the only way you are going to get a head coach with any nfl experience is if he is already employed as a asst coach by the bengals. and then you have the same chance at getting one from the asst. that doesnt.

and most head coaches with experience dont want to come here.
            Never said Gruden would come here. I was discussing that the Bengals are not in a fire-sale mode similar to when Jimmy Johnson cleaned house when he became the head coach in Dallas in 1988. Every player was gone including veterans. It was an entire fresh start. Whereas in 2003 Jon Gruden replaced Tony Dungy and the roster wasn't thrashed.

Comment

• was directed more towards ralph and others then you. and just saying where as ML leaves alot to be desired, odds are it will get worse, if the next HC is inexperienced and willing to coach with whatever soP and family give him. just to get his chance at the job. look at the line of HCs we have gotten since the last quality one we had. the only thing worse then 0-7 playoff appearances is the 0 appearances we had for what 10-20 years?

Comment

• Originally posted by spicoli View Post
                call me crazy but I actually think there's a halfway decent chance that Marvin gets fired here in the next week or two......it could actually happen in the next day or two but if it doesn't and they lose to Cleveland next Sunday, I don't see any way they could bring him back the following week.

if so, who takes over...Guenther, Lazor or old school Jim Haslett? if it's truly up to Mikey, my $$ is on Haslett.

It really doesn't matter.

As long as Mike Brown lives, it doesn't matter.

Whomever they sign will not have autonomy. He will not have control over the draft, he will not be able to fire Alexander, he will not be able to have wide power to sign FA's.

He will have to tow the company line.

So that narrows it down to guys who are desperate for ANY HC job. Probably an internal promotion or an external chump.

Comment

• Originally posted by TD Bengals View Post
                  Why is McCarron not an option? He's got a stronger arm than Dalton, he has better pocket awareness, he's way more of a leader. Dalton has a higher accuracy percentage, but he also has too many balls that are no where close to the receiver. When Dalton's on, he's on. When he's not, he's dreadful.

When filling in for Dalton at the end of 2015, McCarron had a 97 QB rating, with 6 TDs, 2 INTs, and a 66% completion percentage. He wasn't great in the playoff game, but he was good enough for the Bengals to have a chance to win (we had the game won if it hadn't been for Hill's fumble or Burfict and Jones being stupid).

McCarron is a free agent at the end of the year and Dalton can be cut with minimal salary cap implications.

Dalton puts up pretty good stats, but there are too many times when he misses a crucial throw, takes an inopportune sack, or throws a pick in the redzone. If Dalton struggles in either or both of the next two games and the Bengals are all but eliminated from serious playoff contention, I'd absolutely give McCarron a look.

As for where McCarron was drafted, don't forget that some quarterback for the Patriots was drafted in the 6th round and he seems to have turned out okay.
                  I would love to see McCarron get a chance to prove what he can do over the remainder of the season. It's already a lost cause so why not spice things up by giving AJ a try. I once was a huge supporter of Dalton but have lost all confidence in him now...when I see Andy Dalton I see Howdy Doody.howdy2.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Stryker57 View Post
                    was directed more towards ralph and others then you. and just saying where as ML leaves alot to be desired, odds are it will get worse, if the next HC is inexperienced and willing to coach with whatever soP and family give him. just to get his chance at the job. look at the line of HCs we have gotten since the last quality one we had. the only thing worse then 0-7 playoff appearances is the 0 appearances we had for what 10-20 years?
                    From a pure talent standpoint, this team is heads and shoulders above anything Bruce Coslet or Dick LeBeau inherited. If we brought in a disciplined, no-nonsense kind of coach, then I think this team would do well. Perhaps someone like Les Miles or Charlie Strong, if you're looking at college coaches. Or bring in Josh McDaniels and we can cheat our way to a playoff win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Super Cat View Post
                      If we aren't going to the playoffs, I think I rather see us lose every game until Marvin is fired. Even if it takes 16 games.

Super Hero Burfict will come back from his annual extended vacation, The Bengals will squeak by the Clowns, and the glass will be half-full again. lol

Comment

• Originally posted by TD Bengals View Post
                        From a pure talent standpoint, this team is heads and shoulders above anything Bruce Coslet or Dick LeBeau inherited. If we brought in a disciplined, no-nonsense kind of coach, then I think this team would do well. Perhaps someone like Les Miles or Charlie Strong, if you're looking at college coaches. Or bring in Josh McDaniels and we can cheat our way to a playoff win.
                        No college coaches. It's a different game

Comment

• Originally posted by LimaBengal View Post
                          ...and the glass will be half-full again. lol
                          no optimism allowed until they get to 3-3
                          potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
                          QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
                          OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

• Originally posted by LimaBengal View Post

Super Hero Burfict will come back from his annual extended vacation, The Bengals will squeak by the Clowns, and the glass will be half-full again. lol
                            I wouldn't say that they "squeaked by the clowns". It was a blowout by NFL standards

Comment

Working...
                            X