American Anthem and Protest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Anthem and Protest

This isn't about Kapernick. This is about my country. Starting today I will not buy NFL merchandise, go to NFL games until kneeling during the American Anthem stops. I love my football team but I love my country more. The players have right to protest but not during the anthem. If they don't like this country, leave. They should protest during their off day.
    If a player can be fined because of color of socks, then he can be fined for not standing up for our country. They are making millions and then saying they are oppressed. Give me a break.

Lets face it the NFL isn't the NFL a grew to love. The rules, the slowing down of games. Penalties are called more against a weaker team than the stronger teams. Less penalties Pittsburgh, New England, Cowboys than other teams. It is becoming the game of pussies not men. The whole professional sports industry isn't the same that I grew up with.

I asked that all quit buying tickets, merchandise, and going to games because of this. "God and Country First". Hurt their million dollar industry. See who is stronger the fans or the players.

if they kneel today it's not to be anti-American, it more about being anti-Trump....big big difference IMO.
    potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
    QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
    OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

Originally posted by spicoli View Post
      if they kneel today it's not to be anti-American, it more about being anti-Trump....big big difference IMO.
      Disagree. It is still during the Anthem. If you don't respect our flag then leave.

Comment

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on the side you are on, we are a free country with a right to free speech. They have the right to protest. You have a right not to agree with it. That's the paradox of the entire situation, just like there are those that served in the military who support these guys because freedom is what they fought to defend, not the flag or anthem itself... and of course there are some veterans that will say the feel disrespected.

Now with all that said, I'd much rather have guys keeling for the anthem, than people out rioting and destroying neighborhoods.

Comment

I'm a veteran and I'm being disrespected. I'm not against protest, but I am against it during the anthem. The NFL should do like they use to. Players don't come out until after the anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Cat View Post
            I'm a veteran and I'm being disrespected. I'm not against protest, but I am against it during the anthem. The NFL should do like they use to. Players don't come out until after the anthem.
            When you start making certain situations off limits to being protested, you create a slippery slope. If you aren't against protests, then you shouldn't be against protests even when it is during situations you don't agree with... as long as the protests aren't violent and damaging.

Comment

It isn't a slippery slope. It is disrespect. Hold rallies, make commercials but don't disrespect our flag.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
                Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on the side you are on, we are a free country with a right to free speech. They have the right to protest. You have a right not to agree with it. That's the paradox of the entire situation, just like there are those that served in the military who support these guys because freedom is what they fought to defend, not the flag or anthem itself... and of course there are some veterans that will say the feel disrespected.

Now with all that said, I'd much rather have guys keeling for the anthem, than people out rioting and destroying neighborhoods.
                I don't have an answer.
                I remember during olympics in the 70's, a medal ceremony, two americans were on the podium during our anthem, laughing and joking and carrying on. That left a bad taste in my mouth.
                That being said, kneeling is far more respectful than that.

When it is said that you can't support the troops without supporting the mission, that is nothing more than a manipulation to me. Once the mission is underway, of course anyone wants the troops to come home safely, and so indirectly supports the mission. But we as americans are free to debate, disagree with the overall policy that puts them in harm's way in the first place, before,during, and after said mission.

I guess my distaste for muzzling people is far greater than my being offended at their expressions. But supercat, you are fully right for expressing yourself as you see fit.
                Dona eis Requiem

Comment

It isn't a slippery slope. It is disrespect. Hold rallies, make commercials but don't disrespect our flag.
                  Simple question. When you signed up for the military did you do it to defend a piece of cloth, a song, or an ideal of freedom?

Comment

I, too, am a veteran, and I could not agree with you more S.C. It literally turns my stomach. Kaepernick picked the anthem simply because of the uproar he knew it would cause. I believe in free speech, the right to protest, and all the other rights we have under the Constitution, but to dishonor the flag is something that is off limits, or should be, for ANY American citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by furnbuff View Post
                      I, too, am a veteran, and I could not agree with you more S.C. It literally turns my stomach. Kaepernick picked the anthem simply because of the uproar he knew it would cause. I believe in free speech, the right to protest, and all the other rights we have under the Constitution, but to dishonor the flag is something that is off limits, or should be, for ANY American citizen.
                      If you are going to protest something, do you chose something that no one will notice? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

As a veteran did you sign up to defend a piece of cloth, a song, or the ideal of freedom?

Comment

Simple question. When you signed up for the military did you do it to defend a piece of cloth, a song, or an ideal of freedom?
                        It isn't a piece of cloth, it is our symbol for freedom. It represents each one of our states with the stars and our start with the stripes. I can see that you aren't a patriot for our country. The song, the flag is our symbols. We the people.

Comment

It isn't a piece of cloth, it is our symbol for freedom. It represents each one of our states with the stars and our start with the stripes. I can see that you aren't a patriot for our country. The song, the flag is our symbols. We the people.
                          It's a symbol of freedom? So the underlying important thing is freedom? So now you are going to attack me just because I don't agree with your position? Really? Please don't be THAT guy.

If the main thing is FREEDOM... then that is what you need to focus on. It is freedom that are military fights for. It is freedom that is provided to us through the Constitution... it is FREEDOM that allows us to protest peacefully when we feel we are being wronged.

Comment

We the people.
                            have a right to protest anything we want, period.

not saying I believe in what they're doing but they DO in fact have that right.
                            potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
                            QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
                            OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

Well said
                              Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

Working...
                              X