American Anthem and Protest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
    It's hard to believe a person that deals in law would have this line of thought when it comes to a fundamental right of free speech.
    Understand: I am not going to debate with you, or anyone else. For sake of clarity: mine is more of an observation than an opinion. I work in areas involving any number of interpretations as to your beloved "free speech". If you honestly believe it means each person can do or say any bloody thing they wish at any time, I can only tell you that multiple courts of jurisprudence--including the highest court--would call you sorely mistaken. But again, I am not interested in debating this with you or anyone else. I am totally disinterested in what anyone's opinion is on the subject. So go ahead and post your expected rebuke, I will not be responding again. If that makes me a Blue Meanie, so be that too.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

The Supreme Court has ruled that flag burning is legal as it is a form of symbolic free speech. These kneeling at the anthem acts are not even close to that level.
      Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Comment

I'm quite amazed at the amount of people that believe in freedom... as long as those that express that freedom, express an idea that they agree with. That's not how freedom works.
        potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
        QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
        OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

Originally posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
          The rise of the Nazi party was a direct result of the sentiment of the German people after the Treaty of Versailles. The party's early platform was anti-Marist and later anti- Semitic .
          Wrong. The rise of the Nazi Party was purely due to the financial crisis caused by the Great Depression. Prior to that the Nazi Party were largely an irrelevance in Germany , garnering no more than around ~5% of total votes or less with each round of elections. This is for a party that was formed in 1920. They were viewed by most regular Germans as extremists and thugs.

Comment

The economic effects of the Depression factored into them gaining power for sure, but the sentiment they played upon (WWI guilt, getting hosed in the Treaty, Jews control us) set the stage for them. I see the Depression as rather the breaking point.

Complex discussion for sure, appreciate you are well read on the subject!

Comment

The economic effects of the Depression factored into them gaining power for sure, but the sentiment they played upon (WWI guilt, getting hosed in the Treaty, Jews control us) set the stage for them. I see the Depression as rather the breaking point.

Complex discussion for sure, appreciate you are well read on the subject!
              Agreed on that. Yeah, I love it. That whole period of history is just absolutely fascinating. The more you read the more there is to learn!

Comment

Originally posted by UKTiger View Post
                Agreed on that. Yeah, I love it. That whole period of history is just absolutely fascinating. The more you read the more there is to learn!
                Very much so. i did not intend to be obtuse earlier it is just that (and no doubt you have come across this) so few people actually read history.

Comment

Very much so. i did not intend to be obtuse earlier it is just that (and no doubt you have come across this) so few people actually read history.
                  It's all good, honestly. I also completely agree with you. The number of people I meet who fervently believe that the crap coming out of their mouth is accurate is simply staggering. Ignorance is bliss - apparently.

Comment

back-when-the-president-didnt-mind-if-you-took-a-27908966.jpg

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]923[/ATTACH]
                      Gold! :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Le Tigre View Post
                        Understand: I am not going to debate with you, or anyone else. For sake of clarity: mine is more of an observation than an opinion. I work in areas involving any number of interpretations as to your beloved "free speech". If you honestly believe it means each person can do or say any bloody thing they wish at any time, I can only tell you that multiple courts of jurisprudence--including the highest court--would call you sorely mistaken. But again, I am not interested in debating this with you or anyone else. I am totally disinterested in what anyone's opinion is on the subject. So go ahead and post your expected rebuke, I will not be responding again. If that makes me a Blue Meanie, so be that too.
                        Of course no one can say ANYTHING they wish... as the courts have ruled you don't have the right to yell fire in a crowded theater, but this isn't equatable to that, and no one is danger of getting hurt or losing their life from it.

Comment

Of course no one can say ANYTHING they wish... as the courts have ruled you don't have the right to yell fire in a crowded theater, but this isn't equatable to that, and no one is danger of getting hurt or losing their life from it.
                          From what I understand, freedom of speech is not protected while working for a private firm. The interesting part it does not apply to while working for a government. The NFL teams are private firms, many of the stadiums are owned by cities, counties or states.

Comment

Originally posted by NCStripes View Post
                            From what I understand, freedom of speech is not protected while working for a private firm. The interesting part it does not apply to while working for a government. The NFL teams are private firms, many of the stadiums are owned by cities, counties or states.
                            Of course freedom of speech is protected. Not sure what you're talking about.

Now that doesn't mean you can't be fired. But you can't be subject to criminal charges just because your boss doesn't agree with you.

Thankfully many of the owners seem to be siding with the players on this one. Which is a pleasant surprise to me.
                            The Bengals have abused their fans so much over the years, they might as well hold an annual Punch Your Customers In the Face Day.

Comment

Originally posted by NCStripes View Post
                              The private people/owners of the team, are allowing their players to express theirselves. Who owns the stadiums has nothing to do with it, unless it is in the lease with the team that players have to stand for the national anthem. What we are talking about here, has nothing to do with owners trying to restrict the players right to express their feelings, but that private citizens think they shouldn't be allowed to do so.

When it comes to the federal government? It's always nice to have the benefits of a government job, but it is important to realize when you start working for them they own you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of PB View Post
                                Of course freedom of speech is protected. Not sure what you're talking about.

Now that doesn't mean you can't be fired. But you can't be subject to criminal charges just because your boss doesn't agree with you.

Thankfully many of the owners seem to be siding with the players on this one. Which is a pleasant surprise to me.
                                You need to bone up on the constitution http://corporate.findlaw.com/law-lib...revisited.html

Comment

Working...
                                X