American Anthem and Protest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NCStripes View Post
    You need to bone up on the constitution http://corporate.findlaw.com/law-lib...revisited.html
    Uh, no.

Freedom of speech is not about employer retaliation. It's about the law. An employer, especially in states like Ohio, can terminate your employment for all kinds of reasons outside the law.
    The Bengals have abused their fans so much over the years, they might as well hold an annual Punch Your Customers In the Face Day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of PB View Post
      Uh, no.

Freedom of speech is not about employer retaliation. It's about the law. An employer, especially in states like Ohio, can terminate your employment for all kinds of reasons outside the law.
      Pretty sure Ohio is a "no fault" state where they can fire you and not have to give a reason. Now with that said, if you can prove they fired you due to race, age, gender, religion, etc. you can sue them.

Comment

Gonna be tough firing players when the owners are out there protesting with them
        potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
        QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
        OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

Originally posted by spicoli View Post
          Gonna be tough firing players when the owners are out there protesting with them
          The bad thing is, and Shannon Sharpe pointed this out, and yes I know he is an idiot, that it took Trump calling the players son of bitches and trying to tell the owners how to run their teams, for this type of demonstration to happen. So now the point of players kneeling really isn't about the issue of racial inequality in the criminal justice system, it's about unity in standing up against Trump and the owners egos. So it is a lose/lost situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
            So it is a lose/lost situation.
            for sure
            potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
            QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
            OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Comment

Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
              The bad thing is, and Shannon Sharpe pointed this out, and yes I know he is an idiot, that it took Trump calling the players son of bitches and trying to tell the owners how to run their teams, for this type of demonstration to happen. So now the point of players kneeling really isn't about the issue of racial inequality in the criminal justice system, it's about unity in standing up against Trump and the owners egos. So it is a lose/lost situation.
              You've identified why this is such a failure. It's so muddled it's not even clear what the players are protesting. Kneeing has nothing to do with the President. All they've done is disrespect the flag and brought politics into the game, two things the fans hugely frown on. It's unfortunate that some owners joined them. There's nothing to gain here and they've lost a lot with the fans. The owners should say that they will not tolerate any political statements from their players. They're here to play football

Comment

The sad part about this is that the NFL ratings are down. When ratings are down, the revenue falls. When revenue falls, the owners, executives, and players won't see a significant decrease in their wealth. It is the employees who make a middle class living who won't see a bonus, pay raise, or may even lose jobs as a result. That's who this will eventually hurt.

I also think that people should take a step back and analyze the situation. I believe that police brutality is a symptom of a far greater problem that has been going on far too long. Inner cities have demonstrated for decades systemic inequality. This leads to high crime rates, low education, and harsh conditions. Add over-worked and under-staffed police officers with state's attorneys that have too many cases to process that inevitably lead to such stand-offs. It's a matter of when, not if. A significant change in policing will be beneficial yet will not solve the problem. I think many people use emotion instead of researching and trying to make the necessary changes required of society. And I believe that politicians have tried yet are unsuccessful for a variety of reasons. Bickering and worrying about which party did or did not do the right thing is futile. Creating a plan and moving forward would be the best option.
                Last edited by BengalCP9; 09-26-2017, 03:53 PM.

Comment

This is NOT an issue of free speech. We all agree that every American has the right to free speech and to peacefully protest. The issue IS the venue in which these bitchy whining a$$holes exercise their speech. First, they are employees. They are pissing off 75% of their customers. Second, the NFL has rules about standing and respecting the flag and the national anthem. These are the same very nit-picky rules that Roger Goodell fines players for. This is a huge double standard that Goodell has decided to look the other way on. He is a chicken-shit coward. If a company has a rule and an employee violates the rule, then the employee should be reprimanded. Free speech is not a right when you are working for a company. If I worked at McDonalds and told a customer to screw himself, I would be fired. This is the same thing. The players are telling me-- their customer, to F uc k off. It is wrong. If the players want to exercise free speech, do it off the field. Do it on their own time. And oh for Disney, CBS, NBC, and Fox, STFU when it comes to this. IGNORE IT! #MAGA
                  Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Comment

Originally posted by BengalCP9 View Post
                    The sad part about this is that the NFL ratings are down. When ratings are down, the revenue falls. When revenue falls, the owners, executives, and players won't see a significant decrease in their wealth. It is the employees who make a middle class living who won't see a bonus, pay raise, or may even lose jobs as a result. That's who this will eventually hurt.

I also think that people should take a step back and analyze the situation. I believe that police brutality is a symptom of a far greater problem that has been going on far too long. Inner cities have demonstrated for decades systemic inequality. This leads to high crime rates, low education, and harsh conditions. Add over-worked and under-staffed police officers with state's attorneys that have too many cases to process that inevitably lead to such stand-offs. It's a matter of when, not if. A significant change in policing will be beneficial yet will not solve the problem. I think many people use emotion instead of researching and trying to make the necessary changes required of society. And I believe that politicians have tried yet are unsuccessful for a variety of reasons. Bickering and worrying about which party did or did not do the right thing is futile. Creating a plan and moving forward would be the best option.
                    You do know that inner-city issues are those cities that have Democrats as mayors. They cater to their inner-city low-life with social programs and wasted $$$. To be honest, it is institutionalized slavery. The Democrats have made most of those living in inner cities dependent on the government for their subsistence-- food stamps, public housing, etc. It is all a scam to keep the Democrats winning as mayors. They could care less about those in the inner city.
                    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Comment

• Originally posted by ralphmtsu View Post
                      This is NOT an issue of free speech. We all agree that every American has the right to free speech and to peacefully protest. The issue IS the venue in which these bitchy whining a$$holes exercise their speech. First, they are employees. They are pissing off 75% of their customers. Second, the NFL has rules about standing and respecting the flag and the national anthem. These are the same very nit-picky rules that Roger Goodell fines players for. This is a huge double standard that Goodell has decided to look the other way on. He is a chicken-shit coward. If a company has a rule and an employee violates the rule, then the employee should be reprimanded. Free speech is not a right when you are working for a company. If I worked at McDonalds and told a customer to screw himself, I would be fired. This is the same thing. The players are telling me-- their customer, to F uc k off. It is wrong. If the players want to exercise free speech, do it off the field. Do it on their own time. And oh for Disney, CBS, NBC, and Fox, STFU when it comes to this. IGNORE IT! #MAGA
                      NFL No-no's:

This corrupt, farce of a league can go to hell.
                      "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Comment

• Originally posted by Lewdog View Post
                        I'm quite amazed at the amount of people that believe in freedom... as long as those that express that freedom, express an idea that they agree with. That's not how freedom works.
                        This has never been about freedom of speech.

The first amendment only applies to the government restricting speech. Period.

Employers are free to restrict the speech of the employees. The cashier at Kroger would be fired if she told me to "Vote Democrat" or "Vote Republican" as she handed my change to me. She could not claim first amendment rights or say "I have freedom of speech."

This is simply about some of us saying the players should not be doing this and saying the owners should not allow this. Not as a freedom of speech issue but as a "You're offending the customers" issue.

If you had a uniformed cable installer or exterminator come to your house and he lectured you on something you found politically offensive (think of something extremely opposed to a position you hold dearly), would you call his boss and complain? And should his boss tell him he is not to do that anymore?

1. They have the right to protest if the teams' owners allow it.

2. Some of us are expressing our point that we, as customers, are deeply offended.

3. We are saying the owners and coaches should not allow political protests, while wearing a company owned uniform, whether the individual owners agree with their position or not, because they are alienating a large portion of their customers.

4. If anyone tells me I shouldn't be offended, I will say he should be offended and neither of us is likely to change the others belief.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Ray View Post
                          You've identified why this is such a failure. It's so muddled it's not even clear what the players are protesting. Kneeing has nothing to do with the President. All they've done is disrespect the flag and brought politics into the game, two things the fans hugely frown on. It's unfortunate that some owners joined them. There's nothing to gain here and they've lost a lot with the fans. The owners should say that they will not tolerate any political statements from their players. They're here to play football
                          This post is a home run.

Oops, wrong sport. It's a touchdown.

Comment

Please point to the rule that says a person must stand for the National Anthem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Halftime View Post
                              This has never been about freedom of speech.

The first amendment only applies to the government restricting speech. Period.

Employers are free to restrict the speech of the employees. The cashier at Kroger would be fired if she told me to "Vote Democrat" or "Vote Republican" as she handed my change to me. She could not claim first amendment rights or say "I have freedom of speech."

This is simply about some of us saying the players should not be doing this and saying the owners should not allow this. Not as a freedom of speech issue but as a "You're offending the customers" issue.

If you had a uniformed cable installer or exterminator come to your house and he lectured you on something you found politically offensive (think of something extremely opposed to a position you hold dearly), would you call his boss and complain? And should his boss tell him he is not to do that anymore?

1. They have the right to protest if the teams' owners allow it.

2. Some of us are expressing our point that we, as customers, are deeply offended.

3. We are saying the owners and coaches should not allow political protests, while wearing a company owned uniform, whether the individual owners agree with their position or not, because they are alienating a large portion of their customers.

4. If anyone tells me I shouldn't be offended, I will say he should be offended and neither of us is likely to change the others belief.
                              I quit reading after you said free speech is only a function of the government. Freedom is what this entire country was founded upon. /end story.

Comment

You do know that inner-city issues are those cities that have Democrats as mayors. They cater to their inner-city low-life with social programs and wasted $$$. To be honest, it is institutionalized slavery. The Democrats have made most of those living in inner cities dependent on the government for their subsistence-- food stamps, public housing, etc. It is all a scam to keep the Democrats winning as mayors. They could care less about those in the inner city.
                                You do know that what party the mayor is has nothing to do with the conditions of the inner cities right? Quit making a partisan political problem when it is a socioeconomic one.

Comment

Working...
                                X