Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: 2009 Draft Round #3

Columbus (Stuck in a houseful of Browns fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    I won't complain if someone can be mentioned in the same breath as Heath Miller.

Good value pick.
    Amen to that, LT.
    "Brandon Weeden has more of a future in this league than Andy Dalton." Hubby dearest/Browns fan extraordinaire

U don't live in Cleveland Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    So who is getting cut between Reggie Kelly and Ben Utecht? I would love to go into the season with all three (Kelly can play fullback) but Mike Brown doesn't understand the concept of depth and will cut one of them to save money. You can bank on it. I just wonder who it will be.

TEs, FBs, and LBs tend to be the best Special Teams fodder. I can see keeping Kelly to block and Utecht to receive while we develop a 3-down TE. OTOH we seem to have 3 FBs on the roster. Unless we try to hide our draft pick on the practice squad, Jeremi and/or Coats is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    So who is getting cut between Reggie Kelly and Ben Utecht? I would love to go into the season with all three (Kelly can play fullback) but Mike Brown doesn't understand the concept of depth and will cut one of them to save money. You can bank on it. I just wonder who it will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by puddycat View Post
    TEs, FBs, and LBs tend to be the best Special Teams fodder. I can see keeping Kelly to block and Utecht to receive while we develop a 3-down TE. OTOH we seem to have 3 FBs on the roster. Unless we try to hide our draft pick on the practice squad, Jeremi and/or Coats is gone.
    Coates is gone for sure. We could keep three tightends. One less WR. Bratkowski is suppose to be changing the playbook. Be more a power team than a finesee team.

Kelly will be here. He's just too solid a pro at all levels of the position to cast him aside.

I believe the Coffman drafting was more as a hedge against another non-year from Utecht...who is as brittle as balsa wood, a non-factor blocking, and a disappointment at receiving.

I think Coates was re-signed because of depth questions. That is no longer an issue. He will be the one on the outs.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Just watched JOhnson's highlight real on youtube. If that is the best of his season, I kinda wondering just what he needed to be rated a 1-2 draft round candidate. His highlights seem like his main criticism--scattershot. Times he's quick off the ball, times he's still in his stance when everybody else is playing. He doesn't look that quick or fast. Basically he didn't look any better than Robt Geathers. Wonder if LB is in his stars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzKWDGf5-Hc

He does look good dropping into space. At 6-7 and an elite vertical jump he could give QBs fits with tipped balls. My only issue with him is he seems to be a bit finesse. I could imagine a Steeler breaking his jaw.

Quote Originally Posted by gupps View Post
    Mayock basically says he is a one trick pony and that if you block him he stays blocked
    Michael Johnson is a great pick. He just needs a little NFL coaching, especially on the use of hands against blockers. IMO the GA Tech coaching staff wasn't able or just didn't provide what Johnson needed to be at the top of his game. I think the Bengals will give 'em what he needs & he'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Michael is a friend & he is NO quitter dudes.

I know he'll be a hard fit for the Bengals, being a morally upstanding character and all.....

U don't live in Cleveland Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    cmturd: you almost had a good post going there.

MFB wants $$$ not wins! TigerJ@w's Avatar
    We don't put pressure on the QB, what makes you think the Bengals coaching staff is any better? Stick around, kid, you will learn something.
    "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.