Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2009 Draft Round #5

ther are lovin it on the nfl network

Bengals want a scatback RB, they already have 2 guys like Jennings, Peerman they must be worried about his foot

BKelly used Huber like a weapon, I love Huber

MFB wants $$$ not wins! TigerJ@w's Avatar
    Good Bye Larson! I am glad we have competition to get rid of him now.
    "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.

cowboys take DAngelo Smith

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ@w View Post
    Good Bye Larson! I am glad we have competition to get rid of him now.
    Na Na Na Na. Na Na Na Na. Hey, Hey, Hey. Goodbye!

Quote Originally Posted by ColesInMyStocking View Post
    I doubt they go FB here. not many ppl are really after one so we can wait on that. i expect whoever they see is a need and the BPA we take here. We on the clock!!!

I WANT DUKE IN THE ORANGE AND BLACK!!!
    They re-signed Jeremi Johnson. Provided he comes to camp in shape, he can be our FB

gotta love this pick!

hit the road kyle Larson. don't let the door hit ya...

Does anyone know if Huber has held for PK before?

today is a very good day if you a Bengals fan. the thing that would change is Eugene Monroe at the 6th pick instead of Andre Smith. otherwise.. amazing draft.

I woudn't mind moving up here giving up 6 and 7 back into the 5th round. We would still have the 3 comp picks
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I was thinking that exact same thing myself ICD.

2007: Named a consensus all-American ... received first-team Walter Camp Foundation and The Sporting News All-America honors ... named a finalist for the Ray Guy Award, given to the nation's top punter ... led all of college football with his 46.9 yards per punt average ... BIG EAST Conference Special Teams Player of the Year ... all-BIG EAST first-team pick ... Cincinnati's Special Teams Player of the Year Award recipient ... served as the holder for field goals and PAT kicks ... booted 27 punts for 50 yards or more ... totaled 20 punts inside the opposition's 20-yard line, with four downed on the 1-yard line ... averaged better than 50 yards per punt in five separate games ... established a single-game record with a 59.7 yards per punt average on three kicks against Marshall ... received BIG EAST Special Teams Player of the Week honors after averaging 51.5 yards per punt on four punts at Rutgers ... boomed four punts an average of 47.0 yards per punt, with two stopping inside the opposition's 10 yard line, in the Papajohns.com Bowl.
    "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.

Thanks TJ, I hadn't noticed that before.

I never thinked in all my life to be so happy with the selection of a punter

The only thing he doesn't do is kickoff. I wonder if he could?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The only thing he doesn't do is kickoff. I wonder if he could?
    We've got our franchise player for that.

today is a very good day if you a Bengals fan. the thing that would change is Eugene Monroe at the 6th pick instead of Andre Smith. otherwise.. amazing draft.
    Smith was the right pick

That I would never - ever consider .
    DC change ----- OC change ------ HC stays --- Will 2014 be the season that Marvin Varus leads our 3 legions -- OFFENCE -- DEFENSE -- SPECIAL TEAMS -- into the Teutoburg Forrest ???

they had John Thornton on after the first round on 1530 homer and he said that Levi is still the best LT on the roster and whoever they drafted would go to RT, so it came down to who's the better RT, ASmith or Monroe?

The draft started well and moved on well if not better:

WHAT IN THE WORLD HAPPEN THIS YEAR?

Why we never drafted in this way?

Value & need at same time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by #1 italian fan View Post

Yea , my wife is in shock at all the smiley face with me , she is used to me throwing tissy fits during the draft .
    DC change ----- OC change ------ HC stays --- Will 2014 be the season that Marvin Varus leads our 3 legions -- OFFENCE -- DEFENSE -- SPECIAL TEAMS -- into the Teutoburg Forrest ???

Quote Originally Posted by #1 italian fan View Post

I think the Bengals' powers-that-be are finally starting to read posts at BengalsJungle. They tried it their way, wasn't working.

I thinked a similar thing... maybe not BengalsJungle, but a sport magazine

I was mulching and working in the yard and my son was calling me all morning. He asked who I was thinking in the 5th and told him Huber, Nati's punter and he thought I was nuts. He was with all his friends hanging out watching when we took him and they freaked out, lol. He called back dying laughing.

I think it was an outstanding pick. You guys keep talking about the best player at his position and this is the best punter to come out in years. Super pick and now i'm finally happy with the draft, :bigyangsmileyface:

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Rock View Post
    Kevin Huber?
    Post #2 on this thread.

Just wanted to pat myself on the back! :e70: :e139:

U don't live in Cleveland Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    they had John Thornton on after the first round on 1530 homer and he said that Levi is still the best LT on the roster and whoever they drafted would go to RT, so it came down to who's the better RT, ASmith or Monroe?
    John Thornton is not very tuned in to what the front office/coaching staff is thinking. Maybe there is a chance Levi will remain on the team and will be the starting LT with Andre Smith as the starting RT. However, the much-more likely scenario is that Levi will get cut, Andre Smith will be the starting LT and Anthony Collins will be the starting RT.

U don't live in Cleveland Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Add me to the mix that can't believe I'm excited about the Bengals taking a punter. It's a combination of three things:

1. Kyle Larson completely sucking (I know we signed Plackemeier too, but who knows about him)

2. Huber was a great punter in college, definitely the best one in the draft and fifth-round didn't seem like reaching for him. He would not have been available in the sixth round.

3. Local kid. Gotta love that part of it if it all works out. UC kid, went to high school in Cincy, etc.

A 5th Round pick for a great punter--if he indeed turns out to be one--will seem like peanuts in the future.

Field position is a critical part of the game. A difference maker in that department will directly effect the outcome of a lot of games.

Fine choice!
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Larson cut as Huber arrives

The Bengals made it clear Tuesday just how much they regard fifth-round pick Kevin Huber when they released their two veterans and left him as the only punter on the roster.

Gone is Kyle Larson after five seasons and 379 punts, the third most in team history behind Lee Johnson (746) and Pat McInally. His 41.9-yard average is tied for third in club history, but his numbers dropped considerably the past two seasons. In 2008, when he set the team record with 100 punts, he finished last in the AFC with a 39.5 average and a 34.1 net. Larson finished his career with 109 inside-20 kicks and 32 touchbacks.

The Bengals also waived Ryan Plackemeier, a fourth-year punter that played last season for Seattle and Washington and had been acquired by Cincinnati on waivers from Washington this past Feb. 13.- GEOFF HOBSON
    http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...2-3cfd65811cc8

It's really not that much of a gamble. Unless you are blessed with the likes of Rohn Stark or Ray Guy...punters are a complete unknown variable. Some years they will boom...some years they will bust.

Larsen wasn't going to win many games for us with his field-changing punts (I'm not always overly sold on yards per kick)...and might have cost us some.

That is not to say Huber won't do the same. But at least on paper, he can be a field-changer...and that is what this team needs most.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Damn! Everything is falling into place. I wished this would have been done a long time ago. Don't let the DOOR hit ya, you know where, Larson. I don't like giving him no competition now. That is the dumb part. Sounds like another money move to me. With all these releases, I wonder how much MFB will pocket this year, especially if MFB continues to slice and dice, e.g. Levi Jones, etc....

More good news. Anybody here want to see Larson make another punt in Bengal stripes? Anyone?

Just for you SeaRay. Larson punts 10 times against the Saints in the 3rd preseason game last year. I saw one shank.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    More good news. Anybody here want to see Larson make another punt in Bengal stripes? Anyone?
    No. It was amazing that before the pick, the Bengals had on their roster the worst and the second worst punters in the NFL at the same time. Now they can both go become bartenders and get into fights in bathrooms at restaurants.