Thread: Portland Timbers.....MLS Champions!

Portland Timbers.....MLS Champions!

Had season tickets (bought them myself) when I was in High School. I played High School and College soccer.

Congratulations to the Timbers! It's a long-time coming.

I remember years when they tried to keep the franchise together on a budget of thousands per month, and in the negative many times.

Then they got an invitation to the MLS league, and it's been full-steam ahead since then.

There are going to be a lot of micro-brews drunk tonight.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

"You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."

Well done, Timbers.

It happened right here in my hometown, besting the Crew. I guess it was sort of a big deal here--billboards were all over announcing it. Would not have known otherwise--the local media was way more concerned about Ohio State's dim chances to make the Playoffs. The Crew does have a decent sized cult following around here though, and it is enough to fill their (rather nice actually) stadium. They make money, have a good organization, and sell gear. Suppose that is all they can ask.

I don't figure the Timbers will supplant the local idols in the Rose Garden, but a championship of any kind is something to prize.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

I just wish I could muster up an iota of feeling towards them. I'm happy for all of the Portland Timber fans, but I have no feeling towards them one way or the other.

They pissed me off too much by getting rid of professional baseball in order to make a deal with the City Commissioners to restructure our Downtown Stadium into a soccer-only venue (of which they play a game about once every ten days to two weeks there during the season). More people attended minor league baseball games than attend all of the Timbers home games during the season.

I loved Soccer enough to spend my own money in High School to buy season tickets, play soccer as my major sport in High School, and play soccer in College. So, we're talking about a pretty knowledgeable soccer fan here. But, baseball is more family friendly (I noticed the Crew fans showed their class by throwing beer bottles and beer cans at the Timbers players during the game), it's history goes back forever in Portland and at that stadium, and there was zero reason why the stadium couldn't have been a venue for both Soccer and Baseball. No excuse, other than the fact that Portland is filled with a bunch of nerds who believe that Major League Soccer is a "major sport". It's still that international game played by people who flail like they got shot out of a cannon at the first hint of contact. It's a sissy sport, one of which I would enjoy attending if the owner hadn't removed baseball from this area in order to not have competition at the stadium.

I don't have the pure hatred for them where I wish them to fail miserably and disappear like I did before, but I have no feeling at all one way or another for their winning of the MLS Cup.

I can't think of a single Timbers' fan when I see those faces in their crowds that I would feel comfortable with if I had to go to war with them or if I had to trust them to have my back.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

"You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."