Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Opponents Watch 2016

Opponents Watch 2016

New League year.

Lew mentioned something about the Eagles in the now-defunct 2015 thread.

What was that again?
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Eagles are stocking up draft picks. They are trading Kiko Alonso and Byron Maxwell to Miami, then they are trading the disgruntled Demarco Murray to the Titans.

Makes sense as the GM for the Eagles got his power back after Chip Kelly was fired. Smart moves if you ask me. Murray was a bust last year-- mainly due to the idiotic offense run by Kelly. Alonso was hurt and Maxwell wasn't that good without his "Legion of Boom" brothers out in Seattle. I wonder if they are in play to move up on the board and take a QB. I know they re-signed Bradford to essentially as "Andy Dalton" type of deal, but I'm assuming that the deal is structured in a way that would allow the Eagles to realistically cut ties with Bradford after 1 or 2 seasons.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Vinatari signs a two year deal to stay with the Colts. The guy is so old yet so reliable. I wonder how close he is to breaking the records of all those other old kickers like Morten Anderson.

Around The NFL ✔ ‎@AroundTheNFL
    Falcons finalizing five-year deal with Alex Mack http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...gn=Twitter_atn

Atlanta Falcons finalizing 5-year deal with Alex Mack

Alex Mack's tenure with the Cleveland Browns is officially over. The Pro Bowl center is set to sign with the Atlanta Falcons, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.
    nfl.com
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Martavis Bryant is facing a year-long suspension from the NFL, his agent confirmed to ESPN.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14...ong-suspension

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

and that ######ing td NEVER should have counted.....take those points off the board and it completely changes the complexion of that game.....assholes!
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

He was obviously sharing his dope with the referees and replay booth that day. Only people jacked out of their minds would have missed that call.

Or working for tha NFL...same difference.

**** Bryant
    Last edited by Super Cat; 03-13-2016 at 04:26 PM.

Just for a laugh, from the MMQB:

Just a few reminders about Cincinnati backup AJ McCarron, who I maintain would be the best option for Denver in the wake of losing Brock Osweiler:

• In the last four games of the regular season, when McCarron played for the injured Andy Dalton, McCarron completed 69, 71, 63 and 63 percent of his passes, including a 63-percent day against the league’s top defense, Denver.

• His 97.1 rating would have been ninth in the NFL had he qualified.

• In yards per pass attempt, a key number all coordinators are mindful of, McCarron and Osweiler both recorded 7.2 yards per pass play.

• Points per games in 2015, in games they started and played the whole game: Osweiler 20.5, McCarron 20.3.

I’d call Bengals boss Mike Brown if I were John Elway, just to check out McCarron’s availability.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

And in other news:

Aaron Wilson ✔ ‎@AaronWilson_NFL
    Mike Munchak 'The NFL has rescinded my fine after reviewing the video' Munchak was fined $10,000 for allegedly pulling Reggie Nelson's hair
    8:16 PM - 13 Mar 2016

I'd take Denver's #31 overall pick for McCarron and nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    Just for a laugh, from the MMQB:

Just a few reminders about Cincinnati backup AJ McCarron, who I maintain would be the best option for Denver in the wake of losing Brock Osweiler:

• In the last four games of the regular season, when McCarron played for the injured Andy Dalton, McCarron completed 69, 71, 63 and 63 percent of his passes, including a 63-percent day against the league’s top defense, Denver.

• His 97.1 rating would have been ninth in the NFL had he qualified.

• In yards per pass attempt, a key number all coordinators are mindful of, McCarron and Osweiler both recorded 7.2 yards per pass play.

• Points per games in 2015, in games they started and played the whole game: Osweiler 20.5, McCarron 20.3.

I’d call Bengals boss Mike Brown if I were John Elway, just to check out McCarron’s availability.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphmtsu View Post
    I'd take Denver's #31 overall pick for McCarron and nothing less.
    I wouldn't trade him for anything.

Oh and all you ####ing numbskulls who wrote the guy off can kiss my ass. I know a baller when I see one.
    Dona eis Requiem

Yea, bench baller. What an asset.

Rats take Mike Wallace:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14...ltimore-ravens

Hasn't been the same in years. Just a fast straight-liner.

Damn those Patriots are so unpredictable:

In the most surprising trade of the year so far, Chandler Jones is heading from New England to Arizona.

Jones has been traded from the Patriots to the Cardinals in exchange for guard Jonathan Cooper and a second-round draft pick, Adam Schefter and Dianna Russini of ESPN report.

The Cardinals believed heading into the offseason that their biggest need was a pass rusher, and now they have a very good one. This is the kind of trade that could put the Cardinals over the top and make them Super Bowl favorites.

But there are also risks: Jones is heading into the final year of his contract in 2016, and it’s possible that Jones will leave Arizona in free agency a year from now. The potential of Jones leaving in free agency is surely part of the Patriots’ calculation in making this trade.

Cooper was considered one of the best guard prospects ever when the Cardinals took him with the seventh overall pick in the 2013 NFL draft, but he’s struggled with injuries and generally been a disappointment. The Patriots must still think he has a lot of potential — perhaps more potential in the future than Jones, even though on first blush it would appear that the Cardinals got the better player in this deal.

Exactly. Dalton does not need a pure speed guy as the deep ball is not his best strength. We could really use a Boldin/Housh type who can get separation and make the tough catches.

Marvin Jones may do OK in Detroit since Stafford loves to heave it.

Good to see:

Vikings cornerback Terence Newman had a week to look around.

He apparently didn’t find a better offer than staying put.

According to Tom Pelissero of USA Today, the veteran cornerback has agreed to a one-year, $3 million deal to stay with the Vikings.

Newman wanted to stay with the Vikings, but sometimes it takes time for two sides to agree on what that means.

He’s 37, but still playing at a high level, and remains an important of Mike Zimmer’s defense. Having brought him in from Cincinnati, Zimmer knows exactly what he brings to the table, and must have convinced someone it was $3 million worth

Do we play Minnesota this year?

(hint: the thread is "opponents 2016")

In other news: this site has no purple in its colors.

Yes, we are meeting them in the SB. Any other questions?

What bull crap. Patriots trade Chandler Jones, then sign Chris Long. How do they always seem to get the right guys and make the right moves?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    What bull crap. Patriots trade Chandler Jones, then sign Chris Long. How do they always seem to get the right guys and make the right moves?
    Because they are one of the best personnel management groups, plain and simple. What is truly amazing to me is how fast they can coach new players into their system. They are bringing in new players all the time. Nothing gets stale in Patriot land. I think one fault the Bengals have is the reliance on 'same old same old' and the fear of change.

Chris has been floating around for how much time? 31 other teams did not make the "right moves"?

Yes, we are meeting them in the SB. Any other questions?
    Well, since you put it that way...do carry on with the purple worship.

Quote Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
    Yea, bench baller. What an asset.
    Name a better backup QB in the league right now.
    On historical perspective I'd rate just below hostetler . With an upside of ? Who knows.
    Dona eis Requiem

Rats signed Weddle at safety. Surprised they didn't go for Reggie.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphmtsu View Post
    Rats signed Weddle at safety. Surprised they didn't go for Reggie.
    Weddle missed a good amount of time last year, he has some fresh legs. I think he is a year younger than Nelson as well.

Russel Okung's contract has ZERO dollars of guaranteed money. I guess that is what happens when you work as your own agent. What an idiot.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 11m11 minutes ago
    The Steelers (yes, the Steelers) may give up a home game to play in Mexico City http://wp.me/p14QSB-a0AZ

Could you imagine the Bengals playing a game in London and in Mexico in the same year?... though I doubt the Steeler's will play in Mexico City next year, it will be down the road.

In the same article it talks about teams maybe playing a game at huge college stadiums. Could you imagine the Browns and Bengals playing a game at the Horseshoe in Columbus?

Columbus (Stuck in a houseful of Browns fans)

In the same article it talks about teams maybe playing a game at huge college stadiums. Could you imagine the Browns and Bengals playing a game at the Horseshoe in Columbus?
    Well, the Browns pulled in 50,000 for a scrimmage last August at the Horseshoe. That would be awesome (especially since I live a 15 minute bike ride from there), but I don't know if OSU would go for it during the college football season.
    "She's a Browns fan. She doesn't know anything about the playoffs." Chuck Todd referring to Kelly O'Donnell on "Meet the Press"

"The Browns are so low in national esteem that they troll the football equivalent of the thermal vents at the bottom of the Marianas Trench in the Pacific. This is the deepest point on the surface of the earth. Strange creatures live there and also in Berea." Bill Livingston-The Plain Dealer

I can imagine it because I saw it...they played exhibition games in Ohio Stadium in the 70s, at least twice...I was young and don't remember too much except some Browns fans were being jerks (hard to imagine huh?)...I do NOT want to see the Bengals play a regular season game there...ever...

Because they are one of the best personnel management groups, plain and simple. What is truly amazing to me is how fast they can coach new players into their system. They are bringing in new players all the time. Nothing gets stale in Patriot land. I think one fault the Bengals have is the reliance on 'same old same old' and the fear of change.
    Haha, I make a similar statement every year and get bashed by LT and all of the Brown family lemmings.

Every year, teams that run deep into the playoffs annually, make more change than our Bengals, who have not won a post-season game in 25 years (more or less)

What is really amusing, is when some of these guys want to compare the Bengal organization to that of the Patriots'.

the Patriots have Tom Brady. No one else does....until they win consistently without Tom Brady, how do we really know how great they are otherwise? ....he's the greatest QB of all-time, it doesn't matter who's out there with him or who his coaches are, once he gets behind C, he does whatever he wants to on the field.....that gives them such a huge advantage over every other team (especially without Manning now) it's almost not even fair.....anyone really believe that if the Bengals had Tom Brady for the last 10 years they'd still be 0'fer?
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Clowns sign RGIII, they will still probably draft a QB regardless. Hue will have his work cut out for him to make RG a dropback passer. BUT, if they get Josh Gorden back (they played at Baylor together) they could cause trouble (on and off the field..lol)

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    the Patriots have Tom Brady. No one else does....until they win consistently without Tom Brady, how do we really know how great they are otherwise? ....he's the greatest QB of all-time, it doesn't matter who's out there with him or who his coaches are, once he gets behind C, he does whatever he wants to on the field.....that gives them such a huge advantage over every other team (especially without Manning now) it's almost not even fair.....anyone really believe that if the Bengals had Tom Brady for the last 10 years they'd still be 0'fer?
    Brady isn't even the greatest QB currently playing, much less all time. Good grief people need to get a clue about football.

Patriots went 11-5 without Brady in 2008 (Freakin Cassel!? Dude had not played since HIGH SCHOOL and won his first start! ) then 10-6 when he was back.

Not saying he sucks but he's as over rated as any NFL QB veteran maybe ever.

Brady isn't even the greatest QB currently playing, much less all time. Good grief people need to get a clue about football.

Patriots went 11-5 without Brady in 2008 (Freakin Cassel!? Dude had not played since HIGH SCHOOL and won his first start! ) then 10-6 when he was back.

Not saying he sucks but he's as over rated as any NFL QB veteran maybe ever.
    Right...

Brady's overall record is 193-59 (.766) in regular-season and playoff games.

4× Super Bowl champion (XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX, XLIX)
    3× Super Bowl MVP (XXXVI, XXXVIII, XLIX)
    2× NFL MVP (2007, 2010)
    11× Pro Bowl (2001, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2009–2015)
    2× First-team All-Pro (2007, 2010)
    Second-team All-Pro (2005)
    SN All-Pro (2012)
    6× AFC Champion (2001, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2014)
    4× NFL passing touchdowns leader (2002, 2007, 2010, 2015)
    2× NFL passing yards leader (2005, 2007)
    Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year (2005)
    Sporting News Sportsman of the Year (2004, 2007)
    AP Male Athlete of the Year (2007)
    2× NFL Offensive Player of the Year (2007, 2010)
    3× AFC Offensive Player of the Year (2007, 2010, 2011)
    AP NFL Comeback Player of the Year (2009)
    PFWA NFL Comeback Player of the Year (2009)
    Bert Bell Award (2007)
    NFL Alumni Quarterback of the Year (2007)
    New England Patriots career leader in passing yards, passing touchdowns, wins, pass completions and pass attempts
    Most career wins with single team (172)
    NFL 2000s All-Decade Team

He's thrown for 58,000 yards, has a 428-150 TD to INT ratio, and a career 96.4 passer rating.

Are you smoking dope?

Patriots went 11-5 without Brady in 2008..
    and they also got bounced out of the playoffs with a first round L.....I sad win consistently, as in the same level that they were under Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    and they also got bounced out of the playoffs with a first round L.....I sad win consistently, as in the same level that they were under Brady.
    Bottom line: he's out and they had a better record with some mediocre backup QB. That's not trivia: it is what happened. That backup went on to do exactly nothing noteworthy.

Check what happens when a team REALLY loses a great QB: Colts when Manning went down.