Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding year?

Rebuilding year?

Goodbye Marvin, Peko, M Johnson, Zampese, Alexander, Haslett, Hayes, Lazor, Urban, Caskey, Winston, Maualuga, Nugent, Jones and Dansby.
    Getting rid of all those players and coaches we should still be able to compete next year as we take one year to rebuild.
    Each one of these players and coaches are worst than last year. Our LB'ers, running backs, Wide Receivers and Oline. To point out the main problems.

We need a reset badly. I will forgive all if we beat up on New England. But we know that won't happen. Rebounding shows the team is pissed and has the character to win this season. A close game win against New England means nothing. But a butt whipping gives me a new outlook that we have a championship team that just had a bad game.

It is absolutely amazing how bad Adam Jones has dropped off since last year. He isn't even in the same time zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    It is absolutely amazing how bad Adam Jones has dropped off since last year. He isn't even in the same time zone.
    The whole team has dropped off. Outside of Dline

I agree, SC. Blow it up !! Especially Marvin and Paul A. Replace them with proven, bad ass winners, with power over personnel (coaches and players) decisions.

But we both know it ain't going to happen. If we don't know Mike Brown by now, we will never know him.

Get Tom Coughlin out of retirement? Les Miles?

Whenever even SC gets negative, you know things are bad... REAL bad.

MFB wants $$$ not wins! TigerJ@w's Avatar
    Nice dream, but we all know it will never happen. When MFB extends Mediocre Marv every year and has never won a playoff game, then that is all anyone needs to know. It just proves Zimmer, Hue and even Gruden are the reason Marv still has his job today, then again we still have MFB.
    "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.

What window ya'll thought was open was either never open or shut now.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cat View Post
    Goodbye Marvin, Peko, M Johnson, Zampese, Alexander, Haslett, Hayes, Lazor, Urban, Caskey, Winston, Maualuga, Nugent, Jones and Dansby.
    Getting rid of all those players and coaches we should still be able to compete next year as we take one year to rebuild.
    Each one of these players and coaches are worst than last year. Our LB'ers, running backs, Wide Receivers and Oline. To point out the main problems.

We need a reset badly. I will forgive all if we beat up on New England. But we know that won't happen. Rebounding shows the team is pissed and has the character to win this season. A close game win against New England means nothing. But a butt whipping gives me a new outlook that we have a championship team that just had a bad game.
    There really needs to be a clean slate throughout. Give Tobin the official title of G.M., pay him appropriately, and let him hire his own Assistant G.M., the new H.C, the new O.C., and let him make hisown opinion about the rest of the entire Coaching Staff. Let him pick the new Head of Scouting and let him decide the size of that department.

Mike Brown has relinquished a little control every year for the last decade-plus, but it's time to completley let go and step down. Retire.
    Last edited by BlazerBenner; 10-09-2016 at 09:14 PM.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

"You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerBenner View Post
    There really needs to be a clean slate throughout. Give Tobin the official title of G.M., pay him appropriately, and let him hire his own Assistant G.M., the new H.C, the new O.C., and let him make hisown opinion about the rest of the entire Coaching Staff. Let him pick the new Head of Scouting and let him decide the size of that department.

Mike Brown has relinquished a little control every year for the last decade-plus, but it's time to completley let go and step down. Retire.
    As fans, none of us can know for certain what exactly has happened from last year's 12-4 team to this year's 2-3 mess. All we know is that a huge drop-off of some sort has occurred. Today's 28-0 3rd Qtr deficit was nothing short of appalling, and only a fool would think no changes need to be made, but what exactly those changes need be is pure conjecture.

What I observe is this:

The offensive line:
    This unit has been above-average. The weak-link is Bodine. However, we had 4 other dependable players to compensate for his poor play. Cedric Ogbuehi is awful. He is consistently getting beat. Cedric is probably great at practice going against the same guys. When you go against different opponents, different story. So now we have 3 dependable players trying to compensate for the poor play of Bodine and Ogbuehi. This is why pass protection is shaky and our running game is terrible.

** Cowboys spent a 1st round pick on a center. Everyone thought they were crazy. Their O-Line is elite. The Bengals have needed a center forever. Instead of getting "the guy" by any means necessary, we whiff in the middle of the rounds of the draft. The best solution is a guy from UNC who benched press 225 lbs. a lot. A great journal article studied any correlation between all-pro potential and combine tests revealed that there is no correlation between the 225 lbs. bench press and potential performance in the NFL. But hey, Bodine sure can bench press a lot!!

Defense: We should have let Adam Jones or Iloka go and re-signed Reggie Nelson. Nelson was the glue of the secondary and better in coverage than either Williams or Iloka. Jones is showing his age, Williams and Iloka just want to run around and try to hit people. Now we are letting huge pass plays up. Linebackers are still terrible, the defensive line is getting old quick. As many draft picks we have spent on the defensive-line, most are a bust.

Wide Receivers: The Bengals tried to re-sign Marvin Jones for the same money. For some reason, he wanted to be #1 that we could not offer. The draft was a bust for WR this year and we whiffed on Tyler Boyd. Boyd is a possession receiver. Brandon LaFell is a possession receiver. What this offense needs is a deep threat who can tear the top off of a defense; pair that with Green and it's a lights out offense. Dalton and Green can take you only so far. The WR Corps eerily looks like the one of 2009 where no one could get open.

Probably should have traded Eifert ASAP after last season. Missing 24/39 possible games doesn't help your team. Next, as soon as he hits FA, some other team will offer him tons of money. He'll bolt for $$$. Probably best to get him out of here. High potential, low return. Hurts not having him in the offense. But we need to let him walk.

I would also get rid of Burfict too. He's a pain in the butt and not worth dealing with him. Can't help the team missing so much time and expect to be a team-leader.

Team looks like they aren't having any fun or generating the same kind of effort like last year.
    Last edited by BengalCP9; 10-09-2016 at 11:38 PM.

The issue here is we stuck WAY too long with the Marvin. Last years playoff loss has clearly left a long term mark but he should have been replaced years ago. The secondary issue is - even we we crap the bed this year and we move on from Marvin there is LITTLE chance we do more than promote from within. It kills Mikey to hire from outside and give control to outsiders. Mikey should have canned ML 2 years ago and let Zimmer take over. This was clear as day as the right move to make. Now, if they move on from ML they are MOST likely to make a patsy move that, at best, keeps us in a sideways mode for awhile. I am not confident that Tobin and Katie will have enough influence in the decision.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

I wish it was just as simple as firing Marvin Lewis and bringing in a better guy, because that's a simple fix, as unlikely as it is to happen. My great burning fear, however, is that this team just isn't very good, from top to bottom. There's no quick fix for that.

We should remember that Mikey does not rebuild..he RELOADS!!! Yes, he needs to reload in order to shoot himself on the foot again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    I wish it was just as simple as firing Marvin Lewis and bringing in a better guy, because that's a simple fix, as unlikely as it is to happen. My great burning fear, however, is that this team just isn't very good, from top to bottom. There's no quick fix for that.
    This team has a lot of talent and Tobin's group is as good as any in the league. It is becoming very very clear that the shortcomings are with coaching. Marvin got us to above average but it could not get us over the playoff game hump and you can only do that trip so many times before it wears thin on players. We missed hiring Zimmer which was an out right failure to see the forest for the trees. Now the only option is to hire someone from the outside.

Columbus (Stuck in a houseful of Browns fans)
    I don't want to hear how elite our Dline is. They got manhandled yesterday. That defensive performance was embarrassing to watch. They can't tackle and they STILL can't cover a tight end and with NE and 2 good tight ends playing next week, that is a major concern. Burfict being back has not seemed to make a difference in defending the running game.

Our Oline doesn't get a pass either. Their pass protection is horrendous! Dalton is not going to last the season if this keeps up.

It's finally happened. I've tried and tried to give Marvin the benefit of the doubt but he lost me yesterday. Down by 3 TDs, :15 left in the first half and 4th down, for crying out loud, GO FOR IT! I highly doubt that if the Bengals didn't convert that Dallas would have tried to go down the field with that little time yet. But NOOO, Marvin elected to play wussy ball and punt.

This team was ill prepared yesterday and it showed, and I blame the coaching staff for that.
    "She's a Browns fan. She doesn't know anything about the playoffs." Chuck Todd referring to Kelly O'Donnell on "Meet the Press"

"The Browns are so low in national esteem that they troll the football equivalent of the thermal vents at the bottom of the Marianas Trench in the Pacific. This is the deepest point on the surface of the earth. Strange creatures live there and also in Berea." Bill Livingston-The Plain Dealer

The team was not only ill-prepared but quite unemotional. That part is far more troubling, we have been used to ill prepared with ML at the helm. The entire defense lacked the will so to speak so they got beaten like a red headed step child.

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    This team has a lot of talent and Tobin's group is as good as any in the league. It is becoming very very clear that the shortcomings are with coaching. Marvin got us to above average but it could not get us over the playoff game hump and you can only do that trip so many times before it wears thin on players. We missed hiring Zimmer which was an out right failure to see the forest for the trees. Now the only option is to hire someone from the outside.
    I've been hearing for a few years now how Cincy has stock-piled some of the best talent in the league, but what I saw on the field at Dallas yesterday was anything but "best in class". Was it just a case of the coaching staff failing to prepare and motivate? Maybe. Or was it just a case of the team getting old? Even more maybe. And there's no cure for that.

I've been hearing for a few years now how Cincy has stock-piled some of the best talent in the league, but what I saw on the field at Dallas yesterday was anything but "best in class". Was it just a case of the coaching staff failing to prepare and motivate? Maybe. Or was it just a case of the team getting old? Even more maybe. And there's no cure for that.
    We do have to note that their is an emotional part of this game (any game really) that propels players to higher levels. In the NFL the difference between teams is often only that emotional commitment to perform at a high level on every play. Not to beat a dead horse, but we have seen and are still seeing how engaged players are for a coach like Zimmer. Our team certainly had more of this in the past year or two then we have seen this year. I attribute that to the head coach and to the owner who has refused to change the head coach despite mutiple playoff failures.

Quote Originally Posted by shebengal View Post
    I don't want to hear how elite our Dline is. They got manhandled yesterday. That defensive performance was embarrassing to watch. They can't tackle and they STILL can't cover a tight end and with NE and 2 good tight ends playing next week, that is a major concern. Burfict being back has not seemed to make a difference in defending the running game.

Our Oline doesn't get a pass either. Their pass protection is horrendous! Dalton is not going to last the season if this keeps up.

It's finally happened. I've tried and tried to give Marvin the benefit of the doubt but he lost me yesterday. Down by 3 TDs, :15 left in the first half and 4th down, for crying out loud, GO FOR IT! I highly doubt that if the Bengals didn't convert that Dallas would have tried to go down the field with that little time yet. But NOOO, Marvin elected to play wussy ball and punt.

This team was ill prepared yesterday and it showed, and I blame the coaching staff for that.
    I was right there with ya sister! What the hell Marvin??? Grow some balls....
    Don't get me started with our defense... I will say it here, but not to his face, but Geno what the hell is your problem?? He was unblockable all preseason and hasn't really done shit so far. He wasn't double teamed yesterday either. Malaluga sucks, Dansby sucks period end of discussion...

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    The team was not only ill-prepared but quite unemotional. That part is far more troubling, we have been used to ill prepared with ML at the helm. The entire defense lacked the will so to speak so they got beaten like a red headed step child.
    I agree, I said it yesterday after the 2nd touchdown by Dallas. Very uninspiring play. Dalton and Green were the only players out of 53 yesterday that showed any kind of fire and after awhile AJ looked like he just wanted to go home. The offensive linemen, just pathetic. Coaches should be shown the door now....... I agree SC, blow the whole damn thing up now.

You forgot to list Coyle SC. There is a reason Miami fired his ass......

I have always said, when you are a professional athlete you don't need coaches to rah rah you. I'm tempering that sentiment after watching Marvin just stand there with his thumb up his ass.. WE don't always see what happens on the sidelines, but I sure hope someone is getting in someone's ass for yesterday's debacle. I could excuse 1 bad game, but so far this season OL, entire defense has played like crap.... Next Sunday I am not going to be no where near a TV.

Stephen A. Smith says Marvin Lewis should be fired. Start watching around the 2 minute mark.

It's coaching.

I remember Zimmer's first or second year. The defense was decimated with injuries. Didn't matter. Next man up. The "team defense" played lights out, no matter who showed up in the line up.

Winning teams are well-coached. They seem to continue winning even when hit with the injury bug.

The Bengals (pre Zimmer) had plenty of years with good talent - but sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwedge View Post
    You forgot to list Coyle SC. There is a reason Miami fired his ass......
    I thought about Coyle and Livingston. But I don't see DB's as that big of a problem when the front seven can't pressure the QB. Coyle was fired as a DC not a DB coach. Coyle is the guy that got our DB's playing good when he was here.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaBengal View Post
    It's coaching.

I remember Zimmer's first or second year. The defense was decimated with injuries. Didn't matter. Next man up. The "team defense" played lights out, no matter who showed up in the line up.

Winning teams are well-coached. They seem to continue winning even when hit with the injury bug.

The Bengals (pre Zimmer) had plenty of years with good talent - but sucked.
    Agree. Good coaching can make up for bad talent.

Columbus (Stuck in a houseful of Browns fans)
    I also forgot to mention in my mini rant that Dalton's record in the state of Texas is abysmal. Maybe home cooking doesn't agree with him.
    "She's a Browns fan. She doesn't know anything about the playoffs." Chuck Todd referring to Kelly O'Donnell on "Meet the Press"

"The Browns are so low in national esteem that they troll the football equivalent of the thermal vents at the bottom of the Marianas Trench in the Pacific. This is the deepest point on the surface of the earth. Strange creatures live there and also in Berea." Bill Livingston-The Plain Dealer

Lol @ actually listening to ANYTHING Stephen A. Smith says. Annotating mortgage payoffs contains six times the usable information, and is 7 times more interesting.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    Lol @ actually listening to ANYTHING Stephen A. Smith says. Annotating mortgage payoffs contains six times the usable information, and is 7 times more interesting.
    I'd rather read the dictionary than listen or look at Stephen Asshole Smith.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

"You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerBenner View Post
    I'd rather read the dictionary than listen or look at Stephen Asshole Smith.
    I am amazed at the paychecks ESPN gives that guy for what he brings to the table. My view of why they do it is politically incorrect and not Bengals related so I won't go into it here.

He gets in excess of $3mill/yr:

http://www.complex.com/sports/2015/0...ract-3-million

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    I'm no fan of the guy either, but I agree with what he said in the video. Of course, it is the same thing most of us have been saying about Marvin for the last 6 years or more.

5 CBs players taken in the first round from 2006 and nobody there . . . time to revaluate the bengals "good" drafts also?

Quote Originally Posted by #1 italian fan View Post
    5 CBs players taken in the first round from 2006 and nobody there . . . time to revaluate the bengals "good" drafts also?
    I still hold out hope for Dennard. Who knows what we've got in WJIII. I don't think anybody outside of the Bengals war room was excited about drafting Kirkpatrick, so it is no surprise that he hasn't been among the elite corners.

Quote Originally Posted by TD Bengals View Post
    I still hold out hope for Dennard. Who knows what we've got in WJIII. I don't think anybody outside of the Bengals war room was excited about drafting Kirkpatrick, so it is no surprise that he hasn't been among the elite corners.
    These were also later in the first round picks so they are not seen as future elite, just future good or very good players (unless things fall your way). Pacman was a top 10 pick the others were not.

Quote Originally Posted by TD Bengals View Post
    I remember very well the choices of 2014:
    Dennard at 24 instead at 31 Bradley Roby who also was much faster
    jeremy hill at 55 good until you see Devonta Freeman at 103 (probowler)
    Will Clarke at 88 good until you see Trai Turner at 92 (probowler)
    and let's not forget that fantastic Bodine at 111

You can take any draft from any team in hindsight and improve it. I have zero issues with our recent drafting and no one else should either. Our issue is not drafting.

Oh, you are asking if NEXT YEAR could be a rebuilding year! Got it. This year can't be a rebuilding year - we haven't done any "building".

The problem is the Bengals take a generation to rebuild. If they don't get extremely lucky with consecutive drafts, they stand still or slide back.

They don't "reload". They don't sign top-tier FAs, like an Alex Mack. They don't trade good players, for needed players. In fact, they don't do anything that would be considered "creative" to put together a realistic contender.

They just use their draft (usually in the order they receive) and hope for the best. Then they keep their draft picks for the length of their contracts (usually beyond). No one leaves Mike Browns farm with money-owed.

And coaching and front office? Don't even go there. lol. That is a lifetime club.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaBengal View Post
    The problem is the Bengals take a generation to rebuild. If they don't get extremely lucky with consecutive drafts, they stand still or slide back.

They don't "reload". They don't sign top-tier FAs, like an Alex Mack. They don't trade good players, for needed players. In fact, they don't do anything that would be considered "creative" to put together a realistic contender.

They just use their draft (usually in the order they receive) and hope for the best. Then they keep their draft picks for the length of their contracts (usually beyond). No one leaves Mike Browns farm with money-owed.

And coaching and front office? Don't even go there. lol. That is a lifetime club.
    The problem with this team is not personnel - outside of the FG kicker.