Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bring on AJ McCarron !!

Bring on AJ McCarron !!

This season's already a lost cause, so you might as well shake things up by putting a high-energy guy like AJ McCarron on the field. Dalton's act has taken us nowhere this year, so what's to lose? Besides, he needs to be punished for his devastating fumble and other glaring mistakes like missing AJ Green on a crucial 3rd down late in the 4th Qtr, and taking all his sacks, like normal.

But benching Dalton is far too extreme a move for the ultra-conservative Bengals, so the best we can hope for is he gets hurt. Come on, breathe some life into this funeral march....the team's dying!

Columbus (Stuck in a houseful of Browns fans)
    Dalton didn't have the best of days but come on. The defense is the issue with this team right now.
    "She's a Browns fan. She doesn't know anything about the playoffs." Chuck Todd referring to Kelly O'Donnell on "Meet the Press"

"The Browns are so low in national esteem that they troll the football equivalent of the thermal vents at the bottom of the Marianas Trench in the Pacific. This is the deepest point on the surface of the earth. Strange creatures live there and also in Berea." Bill Livingston-The Plain Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by shebengal View Post
    Dalton didn't have the best of days but come on. The defense is the issue with this team right now.

You are correct. If the playoffs last year didn't teach our genius management that, nothing will. They let the D slip this past off season instead of building on it. Bringing Maualuga back and not inking Nelson was a disaster. they also could have went after Cleveland's center, but didn't.

As for Andy, he's only as good as the great players around him. Instead of the other way around.

In Dalton's defense (and I rarely do this) the OL has been bad this year and he was missing two of his three main threats from last year - Eifert and Jones.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaBengal View Post
    They also could have went after Cleveland's center, but didn't.
    Alex Mack is doing a great job in Atlanta. Their running game has greatly improved and look at the effect it's had on their passing game. Matt Ryan's looking pretty good right now.
    It's an "Eeem-you" and not an "Eee-moo" and koalas are not related to bears.

Lol @ this thread.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    Lol @ this thread.
    I had to look to see if this thread was from 2014 or something. While Dalton has had a couple not so great days (yesterday being one), he has played pretty well overall this season. He's only thrown 3 INTs through 8 games (granted, he had a couple dropped passes yesterday that should have been picked). He's completing 67% of his passes (6th in the league). He's third in yards per attempt at 8.16. He's fifth in yards/game with 294. He only has 9 passing touchdowns to this point, which needs to improve the second half of the season. Given how bad the offensive line has been (mostly Bodine and Ogbuehi) and that he's been sacked second most times in the league, I'd say he's playing pretty well.

If in 2014 someone said that in 2016 Dalton would be on pace for 18 TDs, 6 INTs, and 4600 yards, we'd all gladly take it. Outside of a couple not so great days (I wouldn't even necessarily call them "Bad Andy" days), Dalton has not been the problem with the offense. The offense has often killed drives with boneheaded penalties and sacks. Sometimes those sacks are Dalton's fault, but often they aren't. The Bengals are still in the playoff hunt. The sky is not falling. Some changes need to be made in the offseason (particularly with the coaching staff), but Dalton is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TD Bengals View Post
    I had to look to see if this thread was from 2014 or something. While Dalton has had a couple not so great days (yesterday being one), he has played pretty well overall this season. He's only thrown 3 INTs through 8 games (granted, he had a couple dropped passes yesterday that should have been picked). He's completing 67% of his passes (6th in the league). He's third in yards per attempt at 8.16. He's fifth in yards/game with 294. He only has 9 passing touchdowns to this point, which needs to improve the second half of the season. Given how bad the offensive line has been (mostly Bodine and Ogbuehi) and that he's been sacked second most times in the league, I'd say he's playing pretty well.

If in 2014 someone said that in 2016 Dalton would be on pace for 18 TDs, 6 INTs, and 4600 yards, we'd all gladly take it. Outside of a couple not so great days (I wouldn't even necessarily call them "Bad Andy" days), Dalton has not been the problem with the offense. The offense has often killed drives with boneheaded penalties and sacks. Sometimes those sacks are Dalton's fault, but often they aren't. The Bengals are still in the playoff hunt. The sky is not falling. Some changes need to be made in the offseason (particularly with the coaching staff), but Dalton is not one of them.
    All true, but when a ship is sinking, and the good ship Bengali has been taking on water all season long, panic sets in...SOMETHING has to change, and the quickest, biggest impact change you can make is the QB. You can't bench the whole defense, can you?

And besides, sitting Dalton down for McCarron would never, ever happen, but it felt so good to post.

I told you we should have traded him.

Remind me again of the downside? Oh yea, if Dalton gets hurt we won't have a backup capable of keeping us in the playoffs hunt.

To quote master debater Donald Trump: "WRONG" !

Opportunity lost.

But hey, what would we do with additional talent anyway? This team is so stacked, If we had a draft of 7 first round picks, we'd still have to cut half of them and put the rest on the practice squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    This season's already a lost cause, so you might as well shake things up by putting a high-energy guy like AJ McCarron on the field. Dalton's act has taken us nowhere this year, so what's to lose? Besides, he needs to be punished for his devastating fumble and other glaring mistakes like missing AJ Green on a crucial 3rd down late in the 4th Qtr, and taking all his sacks, like normal.

But benching Dalton is far too extreme a move for the ultra-conservative Bengals, so the best we can hope for is he gets hurt. Come on, breathe some life into this funeral march....the team's dying!
    Dalton didn't have his best game but McCarron wouldn't have done any better. Our problem is mostly coaching.

Lol @ this thread.
    You can laugh at the thread or any thread it doesn't matter. This forum is about conversations. Stuff we like to talk about and stuff we don't. As you can see. It got fans talking.

A thread can be "discussed" regarding the historical perspectives of Alice in Wonderland. Fantasy still does not replace reality. Except for here, it seems.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

A thread can be "discussed" regarding the historical perspectives of Alice in Wonderland. Fantasy still does not replace reality. Except for here, it seems.
    No. This is a Bengals forum.
    Now the shoe size of Bengals players would be accepted.

It appears allegory is not in this forum either.

It appears allegory is not in this forum either.
    Why are you so bitter anymore? I mean why do you go out of your way to start game day threads... in which you fill them with sarcastic comments? And when you do post in most threads it is just to tell people their posts are dumb. You have seriously changed, it's like Mike Brown ran over your dog with his Lumina or Rey Maualuga picked up your wife at the bar.

Not bitter at all...what an odd question. I said a long time ago, I was done with the NFL after last January--that hasn't changed. This league is a concocted farce...and I gave up taking it seriously. Now I just make fun of it, and take what little entertainment value there is in it for what it is: entertainment.

I do appreciate the skills of the participants in this goofy sport though. So when I read stuff such as this thread, I do lol...as it is not based in logic. Or with others, the non-stop '90's era wailing with equal parts non-stop bellyaching, I laugh even more. But to each their own.

It's OK though. I don't own a dog. And Rey already has a wife. Mine doesn't drink either.

Thanks for asking though. Carry on.

Not bitter at all...what an odd question. I said a long time ago, I was done with the NFL after last January--that hasn't changed. This league is a concocted farce...and I gave up taking it seriously. Now I just make fun of it, and take what little entertainment value there is in it for what it is: entertainment.

I do appreciate the skills of the participants in this goofy sport though. So when I read stuff such as this thread, I do lol...as it is not based in logic. Or with others, the non-stop '90's era wailing with equal parts non-stop bellyaching, I laugh even more. But to each their own.

It's OK though. I don't own a dog. And Rey already has a wife. Mine doesn't drink either.

Thanks for asking though. Carry on.
    I think more this thread is based on the notion that is carried on by many sports, that when a team is in a funk, making a drastic change can bring about some new desire. I just watched a special about Reggie Jackson the other day, where Billy Martin benched Reggie Jackson for game 7 of the ALCS... and the rest is history. It actually happens more often than you realize. I just think people are looking for answers... for ways to get this team to show some desire to win, some emotions other than frustration and making dumb penalties and missed kicks.

Like when Schonert replacing Anderson for a game and Anderson came back almost flawless. Or when I believe it was Turk who replaced Esiason for a couple plays after being pulled from the game and Esiason came back in with a chip on his shoulder. Sometimes things are done to wake other players up

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cat View Post
    Like when Schonert replacing Anderson for a game and Anderson came back almost flawless. Or when I believe it was Turk who replaced Esiason for a couple plays after being pulled from the game and Esiason came back in with a chip on his shoulder. Sometimes things are done to wake other players up
    does andy need to be woke up? i dont think he's the problem, the OL and the Defense need to be woke up. like with winston platooning, this is never done (remember Mathis the pro bowl guard Alexander sat as much as he could even when he clearly outplayed whoever the LG was) thats shows how bad obegumby has played.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker57 View Post
    does andy need to be woke up? i dont think he's the problem, the OL and the Defense need to be woke up. like with winston platooning, this is never done (remember Mathis the pro bowl guard Alexander sat as much as he could even when he clearly outplayed whoever the LG was) thats shows how bad obegumby has played.
    Maybe. Andy has been in the league several years now with worse Olines than this years and done much better getting rid of ball. But I was just giving an example. It could be pulling Bodine, Zeitler, Whitworth or Boling.
    Basically letting them know. You don't play better. You are getting replaced.

Can we pull the coaching staff to wake them up. I feel that is the biggest problem with this team. The coaches suck!

Columbus (Stuck in a houseful of Browns fans)
    Maybe this will help the defense??

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...6-895c4c3fc4a7

Gilberry coming back?
    "She's a Browns fan. She doesn't know anything about the playoffs." Chuck Todd referring to Kelly O'Donnell on "Meet the Press"

"The Browns are so low in national esteem that they troll the football equivalent of the thermal vents at the bottom of the Marianas Trench in the Pacific. This is the deepest point on the surface of the earth. Strange creatures live there and also in Berea." Bill Livingston-The Plain Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    I think more this thread is based on the notion that is carried on by many sports, that when a team is in a funk, making a drastic change can bring about some new desire. I just watched a special about Reggie Jackson the other day, where Billy Martin benched Reggie Jackson for game 7 of the ALCS... and the rest is history. It actually happens more often than you realize. I just think people are looking for answers... for ways to get this team to show some desire to win, some emotions other than frustration and making dumb penalties and missed kicks.
    That's pretty much exactly it...this team seems to be going through the motions, rudderless at sea, playing without heart, or any other corn-ball expression you can come up with and needs a jolt of adrenaline, a kick in the ass, or......I got it, a QB change just for the sake of change! If this team plays the next 8 games the way it played the first 8, it'll end up something like 7-8-1, so what possible harm can it do to rock the boat and throw AJ McCarron into the game?

when the leader isnt the problem replacing the leader doesnt help. AJ will still have the same problems . lacking OL blocking and a defense that cant tackle. do you think AJs so much better then Dalton he can overcome the exact same problems? i see them as even at best. then the harm will be when/if Dalton comes back players will feel they have no security even if they do right they will get pulled, and when others screw up and get to stay in

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker57 View Post
    when the leader isnt the problem replacing the leader doesnt help. AJ will still have the same problems . lacking OL blocking and a defense that cant tackle. do you think AJs so much better then Dalton he can overcome the exact same problems? i see them as even at best. then the harm will be when/if Dalton comes back players will feel they have no security even if they do right they will get pulled, and when others screw up and get to stay in
    No single player is to blame for the Bengals malaise, so the QB has to be the sacrificial lamb. Tons of NFL teams have done it in the past, just for the shock value, like defibrillator pads...sometimes it works, and then you've got this big "quarterback controversy" to deal with, but it sure beats a long, slow, death.

In the words of my hero, George Carlin "Take a fkn' chance!"

What a cowardly approach...you anoint yourself as somehow superior to it all, with your keen discernment as to what the NFL really is, laughing at anyone foolish enough to take their fandom seriously. Yet you linger around in the weeds watching, without risk, because you're above it all....so you sprinkle the board with "lols", because you're just so f'n hip and we're all chumps...and you need to feel that way, so that's why you keep coming back.

MFB wants $$$ not wins! TigerJ@w's Avatar
    Everything starts at the top, MFB needs to retire, and Mediocre Marv needs to either be GM or let go. When I saw him and Guenther yelling at each other on sideline, reminded me of when Marv first got here. He never did that with Zim, Hue or Gruden from what I recall. Meaning,we are back to our good ole ways from promoting within and this has never worked out. For Andy lovers, you have to be honest with yourself, if it were not for AJ where would he be? Dude makes catches from his horrible throws, he continues to key on him all the time. Eifert was a big loss in the Red Zone for sure and I even called a play for him to throw it to him and it was a TD, but they have went away from him so right back to coaches or could it be good ole Marv making the calls because of proving he is the boss. Our defense is horrible ever since Zimmer left, bringing Johnson back was a waste of money and our rookies injuries hurt us. Peko and Rey are bums! Peko is blown off ball every play, and Rey still does not know what hole to hit. Yea, they all get lucky from time to time but they should be making way more plays. The defensive backs have taken a step backwards. Plus, all the idiotic penalties by the D, back to coaches once again. I do not think it would hurt or be a bad thing in a QB change. Notice we never talk about the CAP anymore. So how much are we under now where we could have signed our players? I thought that was MFB and Mediocre's Marv strategy? Well, that went out the window. I will wait for my LOL now.
    "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.

How about now?
    Well...if McCarron came in and played well and the Bengals did their old Dead Cat Bounce, it would help raise McCarron's trade value in the offseason!

Well...if McCarron came in and played well and the Bengals did their old Dead Cat Bounce, it would help raise McCarron's trade value in the offseason!
    So there's that.

Dalton will never be benched.

AJ will only play when Dalton gets hurt.....period.

Andy is paid waaay to much to sit. The Browns never admit mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieBengal View Post
    Alex Mack is doing a great job in Atlanta. Their running game has greatly improved and look at the effect it's had on their passing game. Matt Ryan's looking pretty good right now.
    While Mack (and LeVitre, Matthews and Schraeder) could be given credit for a great percentage of their improvement, I have to wonder how much Kyle Shanahan should get credit for it. He would probably be worth offering the Head Coaching job to the Bengals. Not that he'd be interested as the dysfunction around here is well known. Hue went to Cleveland, so any HC-ing chance must be worth it.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

"You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."

if that happened there will be no changes. cause soP would start the : "only through MLs leadership were back on the right path, i'd better give him a lifetime extension"

Dalton will never be benched.

AJ will only play when Dalton gets hurt.....period.

Andy is paid waaay to much to sit. The Browns never admit mistakes.
    Another serious question: why is he "a mistake"...other than the rote "playoff games" stuff. And, if AJ is "the answer", on what exactly is this based?

No more lol's. I only post real questions and answers now.

Another serious question: why is he "a mistake"...other than the rote "playoff games" stuff. And, if AJ is "the answer", on what exactly is this based?

I wouldn't bench Dalton. Saying "The Brown's never admit mistakes" was a general observation as to why they would never bench their QB with a top-tier contract.

Dalton is not the cause of their ills. I've always said that it is more systemic than "this player or that player."

I wouldn't bench Dalton. Saying "The Brown's never admit mistakes" was a general observation as to why they would never bench their QB with a top-tier contract.

Dalton is not the cause of their ills. I've always said that it is more systemic than "this player or that player."
    Agree.

AJ's not necessarily "the answer", he's just a high-energy guy who has a chance to shake things up on a team that seems to be stuck in neutral....it needs a spark, a jump-start, some CPR, pick your cliche, a SOMETHING, if only for the illusion of a remedy being administered. The Bengal's season is over so why not take another look at what AJ McCarron can do if given the job over the final 5 games of the season. Who knows, maybe AJ McCarron IS the answer!

AJ's not necessarily "the answer", he's just a high-energy guy who has a chance to shake things up on a team that seems to be stuck in neutral....it needs a spark, a jump-start, some CPR, pick your cliche, a SOMETHING, if only for the illusion of a remedy being administered. The Bengal's season is over so why not take another look at what AJ McCarron can do if given the job over the final 5 games of the season. Who knows, maybe AJ McCarron IS the answer!
    Well Cincinnati is going to have to make a decision on McCarron. trade him, let him ride the bench behind Dalton and leave to another team, or sign him to a huge contract to be a back up. If they want to trade him and get the most out of him, they will need to showcase his talent.

Well Cincinnati is going to have to make a decision on McCarron. trade him, let him ride the bench behind Dalton and leave to another team, or sign him to a huge contract to be a back up. If they want to trade him and get the most out of him, they will need to showcase his talent.
    Except Mikey always 'waits' on these situations lacking the desire or impetus to make a decision.So I suspect we will wait then lose him. We will get a comp pick but that's it
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Excellent answer. And quite logical.

Who are you and what have you done to Lima?
    Only users lose drugs