Thread: Mike Zimmer

Mike Zimmer

Call it sour grapes, because it is, but when Minnesota started the season 5-0 Viking fans were proclaiming Mike Zimmer the greatest coach in Minnesota history. And of course we Bengals fans were pounding walls and gnashing our teeth at what could have been had we made Zimmer our own head coach.

Three straight losses later and Mike Zimmer is just another clown who has all kinds of game management issues and generally just blows games, like today's. Minnesota's OT loss to Detroit today was almost as good as a Bengals win.

http://vikefans.com/forum/index.php/...-the-longship/

The 5 give-aways didn't help either.

Must be coaching.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Ahh, I don't know.

Lost his starting QB - although the QB they picked up may be better if he can stay healthy, their # one running back and both starting tackles. If that happened to the Bengals I would be happy with the record.

Sort of past-tense apologetics. They did, after all, start off 5-0 with the same roadblocks.

Much like this team going 8-0 to start last year...with virtually the same players and coaches.

It is an interesting game.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

The Packers are going through the same thing as the Bengals - they are not 100% emotionally invested in playing and it shows for both teams. This game, and all sports for that matter, relies on emotion as often being the difference between winning and losing. And this is far more evident with parity. The Bengals have as much talent as any top 10 team. In the pat few years they have shown that in the regular season but not the playoffs (save for last year which was over emotion), but this year they are not showing it in the regular season.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

After a 4th straight loss, Viking fans have done a complete 180 on Mike Zimmer. From "best coach ever" to "fire his ass". Sports fans are the best.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-f...s/401018985/#1

This sounds very Bengal-like:

“I am concerned obviously, but I still believe,” coach Mike Zimmer said of the trajectory of his team. “I believe if we do a couple things here and a couple things there, we are going to win games. I just feel like if we can get over the hump and can just keep fighting until we do that, positive things will happen. But … it doesn’t look like that right now.”

I never suggested that Zimmer would be a great HC. Lord knows that many great coordinators didn't translate into great HCs.

I have always maintained that his presence on our Bengals was the factor that caused us to rise from mediocrity to real contenders.

Take away the Zimmer years from Mediocre Marv's tenure....and what do you see?

I did think that promoting him and firing Marvin.....as opposed to losing Zimmer altogether was the better choice.

What did we have to lose...except mediocrity ?

Yep, this team is not self motivated.

It needs someone like Zimmer to kick them in the butt.

The Vikings evidently need the same motivation.

Oh wait...

No they need an OL

They lost their QB and probably the best RB in football for the last decade. Stuff like that catches up to your team after awhile.
    Only users lose drugs

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    No they need an OL
    But I was under the belief that great motivation and emotion cures all issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    But I was under the belief that great motivation and emotion cures all issues?

That belief is mistaken. Talent plus motivation and emotion cures all ills

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    The Vikings evidently need the same motivation.

Oh wait...
    The Vikings are playing without their #1 running back, QB, and both tackles and they are playing as well as the Bengals and they are in the same position as the Bengals as far as division race.

Does he motivate? I let you decide

They just lost another LT for the year, and their best CB might miss the next game.

When you play chess, or some type of war game like football, there is a finite limit to how many assets are lost before no amount of strategy or motivation can overcome it. The Vikings are there. There's no Offensive Line left, nor any Runningbacks, while Bradford is a horrible Quarterback when faced with any pressure.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

"You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerBenner View Post
    They just lost another LT for the year, and their best CB might miss the next game.

When you play chess, or some type of war game like football, there is a finite limit to how many assets are lost before no amount of strategy or motivation can overcome it. The Vikings are there. There's no Offensive Line left, nor any Runningbacks, while Bradford is a horrible Quarterback when faced with any pressure.
    Unless you can get a pawn to the other side of the board and get a Queen back!

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Unless you can get a pawn to the other side of the board and get a Queen back!
    Zimmer said yesterday he has no idea how Peterson's doing.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

"You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."