Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: THEM vs US Part 2 Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    So that's the new standard? I disagree with two or three someone says so everything else he says is idiotic?

I used Fouts as a reference because, whether you agree or not, his comment speaks about what football 101 says to do in that situation, and ML didn't do it.
    Did you watch the game? Did you see the calls?

I am not a Kilpatrick fan, but, when they showed the replays, the first one happened before the replay started - I will assume it was a good call - the second one -which was also shown on replay - was very iffy basically hand fighting, of course Foust thought is was a good call. The last call that happened on the 4 yard line as time was expiring he reached to grab Brown and completely missed him. That was not a penalty and I commented on it immediately.

I prefer to use my own eyes not some biased announcer.

Quote Originally Posted by NCStripes View Post
    You don't seriously think they are going to fire Marvin do you?
    Even if they do fire him, I have no confidence that Mikey will let the Tobin's search for a new coach and then let the new coach choose a staff. Knowing Mikey he would let Marvin go then hire Paul Alexander as HC.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

In other news: the beloved Minnesota Vikings were shellacked yesterday at home, are now in 3rd place NFCN, and by this time next week will be eliminated from the playoffs. So much for motivation and great coaching.

Will await the apologetics.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Did you watch the game? Did you see the calls?

I am not a Kilpatrick fan, but, when they showed the replays, the first one happened before the replay started - I will assume it was a good call - the second one -which was also shown on replay - was very iffy basically hand fighting, of course Foust thought is was a good call. The last call that happened on the 4 yard line as time was expiring he reached to grab Brown and completely missed him. That was not a penalty and I commented on it immediately.

I prefer to use my own eyes not some biased announcer.
    Touchy, touchy. I also prefer to use my own eyes, and not take the word of someone with a grudge against an announcer.

He did grab for Brown on that last one and missed him, you are correct. This is why Brown got past him. THEN(pay attention), DK pulled on Brown's jersey. It was what prevented the TD and it was the right call because Brown would have pulled away from DK into the end zone.

But let's say that you're right, and I'm wrong. That means that you support ML's decision to leave DK on the field regardless of being called for legitimate penalties are not. That's all I was saying about Fouts comment, which was about pulling DK aside for a play or two to calm him down. You and your hatred of Fouts has turned this conversation to about the refs decisions, not ML's poor gameday coaching. This particular issue has been a problem with ML for years. How many times did Chad Johnson have a false start on 3rd and short and remain on the field for third and long? Real coaches pull that player off of the field to send a message to not only that player, but other players on the team - "Do something stupid and you're going to be off the field, even if you're a star". I've watched Belichik pull Gronkowski off the field and I've seen Brady send someone off of the field for the same thing.
    Only users lose drugs

Columbus (Stuck in a houseful of Browns fans)
    So Fouts also said the Bengals are the dirty team and the Stealers are not retaliating and that half of Burficts hits were illegal. What I watched on TV did not confirm the calls were justified, but, I am a homer. Regardless if you are basing your intelligent on his commentary I think I would reconsider.
    I refuse to listen to Dan Fouts. He's a moron.

On the offsides penalty, the WR for Pittspuke moved prior to our guy going offsides and of course it didn't get called. It was amazing how Pittspuke got flagged 7 times in the 1st half and suddenly the Bengals started getting flagged right and left in the 2nd half.

First downs by penalty: Bengals 2, Pittsburgh 7.

As for Marvin getting fired, not going to happen. Mikey boy doesn't pay coaches not to coach. He isn't Jimmy Haslam.
    "She's a Browns fan. She doesn't know anything about the playoffs." Chuck Todd referring to Kelly O'Donnell on "Meet the Press"

"The Browns are so low in national esteem that they troll the football equivalent of the thermal vents at the bottom of the Marianas Trench in the Pacific. This is the deepest point on the surface of the earth. Strange creatures live there and also in Berea." Bill Livingston-The Plain Dealer

There is no why the refs can be blamed for this loss. This team collapsed once again due to zero half time adjustments and poor discipline later in the game when things got heated. In the heat of the moment and at critical junctures in a game, this team, coaches and players, simply fail too often. teams that lose always have excuses - injuries, the refs, bad bounces, 'just one bad play' or this or that. The hated Steelers have a mentality that they will win every game in whatever fashion it takes (and a few other teams have this as well obviously) but the Bengals have not been able to get enough of the type of coaches or players to instill this.

ML has changed the team enough so that we are competitive, but CLEARLY he cannot get us past that level. I am not sure the rest of the organization, save for the scouting staff, is capable of the next level or even desiring of the next level. Mikey always seeks a comfort zone but in pro sports a championship desire never relies on comfort.

I am pretty sure after the season ends Mikey will say that we are 'a player or two away' from getting back to the playoffs. He won't mention that we are a coach or two away, and a GM away from actually having success in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    There is no why the refs can be blamed for this loss. This team collapsed once again due to zero half time adjustments and poor discipline later in the game when things got heated. In the heat of the moment and at critical junctures in a game, this team, coaches and players, simply fail too often. teams that lose always have excuses - injuries, the refs, bad bounces, 'just one bad play' or this or that. The hated Steelers have a mentality that they will win every game in whatever fashion it takes (and a few other teams have this as well obviously) but the Bengals have not been able to get enough of the type of coaches or players to instill this.

ML has changed the team enough so that we are competitive, but CLEARLY he cannot get us past that level. I am not sure the rest of the organization, save for the scouting staff, is capable of the next level or even desiring of the next level. Mikey always seeks a comfort zone but in pro sports a championship desire never relies on comfort.

I am pretty sure after the season ends Mikey will say that we are 'a player or two away' from getting back to the playoffs. He won't mention that we are a coach or two away, and a GM away from actually having success in the playoffs.
    Marvin Lewis is Chuck Knox. He coached three teams, Rams, Buffalo and Seattle. Took them from crap to contenders and could never get them over the hump. The only difference is Mike Brown kept ML here and the other franchises said "We've seen enough of Ground Chuck".
    Only users lose drugs

Touchy, touchy. I also prefer to use my own eyes, and not take the word of someone with a grudge against an announcer.

He did grab for Brown on that last one and missed him, you are correct. This is why Brown got past him. THEN(pay attention), DK pulled on Brown's jersey. It was what prevented the TD and it was the right call because Brown would have pulled away from DK into the end zone.

But let's say that you're right, and I'm wrong. That means that you support ML's decision to leave DK on the field regardless of being called for legitimate penalties are not. That's all I was saying about Fouts comment, which was about pulling DK aside for a play or two to calm him down. You and your hatred of Fouts has turned this conversation to about the refs decisions, not ML's poor gameday coaching. This particular issue has been a problem with ML for years. How many times did Chad Johnson have a false start on 3rd and short and remain on the field for third and long? Real coaches pull that player off of the field to send a message to not only that player, but other players on the team - "Do something stupid and you're going to be off the field, even if you're a star". I've watched Belichik pull Gronkowski off the field and I've seen Brady send someone off of the field for the same thing.
    It appears you are the one who is touchy!!

I am stating my view and what I saw - it may differ from yours. So what!

I never said that ML shouldn't be fired. I said it wasn't going to happen and I will be shocked if it does.

I think you better pay attention. If Brown got past him - and he did - completely away from him and couldn't reach him. There wasn't any way he could have grab him.

With regards to the refs. I have never been bashful about saying I am a homer. She Bengal is absolutely correct about how the penalties were called. Coming up to the 2 minute warning the Bengals had a chance to win or send it into overtime ( not saying they would but had a chance).

Two calls went against that allowed the time to run out. The play where Bell intentionally fell down and then rolled out of bounds without being touched and the refs called him down forcing the Bengals to use their timeout and costing them at least 30 seconds of playing time and the call on Kirkpatrick.

I root for the Bengals to win to the end and both of those calls hurt.

You're looking to blame the refs, I blame ML.

I mentioned Fouts because he was one of two guys in the booth calling the game, not because I respect him so much that I have a statue of him next to my driveway. I can't use Cris Collinsworth, Darryl Johnston or Jon Gruden because they weren't there. If you want to get hung up on that, that's your problem.

I think you better pay attention. If Brown got past him - and he did - completely away from him and couldn't reach him. There wasn't any way he could have grab him. With regards to the refs. I have never been bashful about saying I am a homer.
    I think you need to watch that play again.
    Only users lose drugs

Not hung up on anything.

I trust what I see not what other people say, don't need a crutch

Marvin Lewis is Chuck Knox. He coached three teams, Rams, Buffalo and Seattle. Took them from crap to contenders and could never get them over the hump. The only difference is Mike Brown kept ML here and the other franchises said "We've seen enough of Ground Chuck".
    Perfect analogy. Much like a sports commentator I heard the other day when speaking about Jeff Fisher - " You know what they say about Fisher, give him a 3-13 team and he will turn it into a 7-9 team; give him a 13-3 team and he will turn it into a 7-9 team"

Not hung up on anything.

I trust what I see not what other people say, don't need a crutch
    Cool!

Show me where I needed what someone else said as a crutch.

Fouts made a comment on what ML should do and I laughed because ML sucks. Show me where I leaned on his comments.

Good luck.
    Only users lose drugs

Quote Originally Posted by TD Bengals View Post
    I can't remember who it was, but one of the local media personalities said it is important for the Bengals to re-sign Kirkpatrick because WJIII and Dennard are unproven and Jones is aging. Clueless!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    I'll be glad to see ####ing Kirkpatrick gone after this year.
    Actually I agree. Dre is getting better each game. Not there yet. Dennard shows me nothing and I haven't seen Jackson play. Marvin's way of holding rookies back may have cost Dre time in learning the NFL game and it could have cost De nnard also.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cat View Post
    Actually I agree. Dre is getting better each game. Not there yet. Dennard shows me nothing and I haven't seen Jackson play. Marvin's way of holding rookies back may have cost Dre time in learning the NFL game and it could have cost De nnard also.
    Exactly, it is ridiculous that it takes until their final contract year to sort of see what they can be capable of. First rounders - get them in there by year two at latest. Even the Steelers threw Burns out there this year, they will be better for it going forward. Good CB's are hard to come by so we may have to sign him, or perhaps better said we should sign him to a reasonable deal. But if some team thinks he is a stud and signs him to big coin we will take the comp pick then re-sign him when he is cut.

Cool!

Show me where I needed what someone else said as a crutch.

Fouts made a comment on what ML should do and I laughed because ML sucks. Show me where I leaned on his comments.

Good luck.

How about here

"I used Fouts as a reference because, whether you agree or not, his comment speaks about what football 101 says to do in that situation, and ML didn't do it."

For as good as we "draft", we're only going to have Iloka and Thompson on the roster from the 2012 draft class. Zeitler or Kirkpatrick will be offered hefty paychecks by some team. Zeitler is a good offensive lineman and the NFL overpays for average experienced FA defensive backs. I wouldn't be surprised if both are gone. Sucks also big time if Whitworth doesn't work out a home-discount.

Can you imagine..... Bodine, Fisher, Ogbuehi, and Boling as starters all across our offensive line? Good lord, that looked good on paper when we drafted in 2015. It goes to show, having 2 1st round picks isn't always a good thing. While 1st rounders are less expensive, you have very little time before you keep them or let them sign elsewhere.

Here-in lies the difference between the Steelers and the Bengals:

With a 4-point lead and receiving the ball on their own 16 yard line, with a little over 5 minutes to play, the Steelers PASSED on 1st down, and mixed it up after that. The moved the ball down the field and ate up all the clock.

We ALL know what the Bengals would have done in the same situation: show run with the formation, then run Hill straight into the line twice, for 2-yard gain. Then get blitzed on 3rd down drop back. 4th down punt.

It happens every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by BengalCP9 View Post
    For as good as we "draft", we're only going to have Iloka and Thompson on the roster from the 2012 draft class. Zeitler or Kirkpatrick will be offered hefty paychecks by some team. Zeitler is a good offensive lineman and the NFL overpays for average experienced FA defensive backs. I wouldn't be surprised if both are gone. Sucks also big time if Whitworth doesn't work out a home-discount.

Can you imagine..... Bodine, Fisher, Ogbuehi, and Boling as starters all across our offensive line? Good lord, that looked good on paper when we drafted in 2015. It goes to show, having 2 1st round picks isn't always a good thing. While 1st rounders are less expensive, you have very little time before you keep them or let them sign elsewhere.
    No team will hit it every draft which is why the draft is only 1 piece of the personnel puzzle. ML spends too long to see what the draftees can do (Steelers have 2 first year players in secondary if I am right?) and using young 'cheap' players is part of salary cap management. Play them early and see what you have. Discard if not good and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaBengal View Post
    Here-in lies the difference between the Steelers and the Bengals:

With a 4-point lead and receiving the ball on their own 16 yard line, with a little over 5 minutes to play, the Steelers PASSED on 1st down, and mixed it up after that. The moved the ball down the field and ate up all the clock.

We ALL know what the Bengals would have done in the same situation: show run with the formation, then run Hill straight into the line twice, for 2-yard gain. Then get blitzed on 3rd down drop back. 4th down punt.

It happens every single time.
    And when your so-so heroes are eliminated in the playoffs (again) then what?

I am routinely amazed that you hold them in '70's-era worship, when over the past 5 seasons (the same stretch as my team's), they have failed to make the playoffs in two seasons, and only made it out of wild card weekend once (promptly eliminated in the second round).

And before you ramble on with some non sequitur about my team, or blather about past historical championships created by steroids and cheating, remember that you are the one beating your chest over what those despicable bastards do--when they don't particularly do it that well in the here and now.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

How about here

"I used Fouts as a reference because, whether you agree or not, his comment speaks about what football 101 says to do in that situation, and ML didn't do it."
    Well, where do we start splitting hairs because that's a pretty weak description of a crutch.

Do you disagree with Fouts or with Lewis? If you disagree with pulling off a player for a play or two when he's just committed back to back penalties, I'd love to coach against you.

Do you think that I didn't come to the conclusion of pulling DK until after I heard Fouts say it yesterday?

Laughing at when an announcer has an occasional flair for the obvious?

Yeah, ok you busted me, I guess, but I still consider that a very poor excuse for use of a crutch.
    Only users lose drugs

Well, where do we start splitting hairs because that's a pretty weak description of a crutch.

Do you disagree with Fouts or with Lewis? If you disagree with pulling off a player for a play or two when he's just committed back to back penalties, I'd love to coach against you.

Do you think that I didn't come to the conclusion of pulling DK until after I heard Fouts say it yesterday?

Laughing at when an announcer has an occasional flair for the obvious?

Yeah, ok you busted me, I guess, but I still consider that a very poor excuse for use of a crutch.
    I don't bench him for the following reasons.

1) As I said I thought the second penalty was hand fighting and should not have been called.
    2) He is a pro and being paid like a pro. I assume he is mad at himself and doesn't need to be benched to make that point.
    3) The coaches, who see him play everyday, must thinking he is a better option than Dennard (who was playing special teams) or Shaw (who was picked on earlier). Therfore, I do not bring in someone who they do not think is as good in a close game.
    4) He actually made some pretty good plays on the other Stealer wide-outs, but, obviously I did not give Brown the credit he may deserve. Translation: I think Brown is better than I thought.

That is my thinking.

I never said bench.

Pulling a player aside for a play or two to calm him down.
    (1) If he's guilty, straighten him out. Tell him what he's doing wrong, put him back in.
    (2) If you feel that he was wronged by the ref, let him know ie: calm him down, put him back in.

That's in game coaching. Something that ML is not good at. My Chad Johnson/Belichik/Gronkowski/Brady examples started pissing me off over a dozen years ago.
    Only users lose drugs

When I played the game and you were pulled from the game that is benching. Didn't mean it was permanent.
    Maybe be different now.

When I played the game and you were pulled from the game that is benching. Didn't mean it was permanent.
    Maybe be different now.
    So what are we coaching these days? A bunch of frigging snowflakes?!?
    Bench sit whatever. Yank the ####er for a minute!
    Dona eis Requiem

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    And when your so-so heroes are eliminated in the playoffs (again) then what?

I am routinely amazed that you hold them in '70's-era worship, when over the past 5 seasons (the same stretch as my team's), they have failed to make the playoffs in two seasons, and only made it out of wild card weekend once (promptly eliminated in the second round).

And before you ramble on with some non sequitur about my team, or blather about past historical championships created by steroids and cheating, remember that you are the one beating your chest over what those despicable bastards do--when they don't particularly do it that well in the here and now.

For not being any good, they.ve managed to whip our Bengals enough, (10 of 12 at PBS) to cause you to quit going to the games.

For someone who routinely claims to be dispassionate over the NFL in general, and our team in particular. you sure get your blood-boiling whenever anyone points out that the Steelers are a better run outfit than our Bengals. lol

And for the record, I do have some admiration for well-run franchise's