Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Marvin Lewis Reportedly To Be Fired Upon End Of Disappointing Season

Marvin Lewis Reportedly To Be Fired Upon End Of Disappointing Season

Not going to happen, and even if it did, Tom Coughlin is about to get the Jags job and no longer be available. So unless they could get Cowher out of retirement, there really isn't a coach I want out there... My guess? If they fired Marvin they would just promote Haslett.

I can dream, can't I? Actually, I admire Marvin Lewis quite a bit for his role in ending the Bungles Era and making them an NFL-calber team again. But the idea of a new head coach is very intoxicating. Marvin has yet to win a playoff game in 14 years so why not shake things up and try somebody new?

Need someone with some energy, but, it isn't going to happen.

Firing Lewis would at least give the fan base some hope that Mikey actually does want to win. But it would have to be followed up with a good hire and some fresh assistant coaches
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

I am hopeful of a change as I'm well and truly Lewis's-out. I applaud what he's changed here but, hard as it may be to find, I want to see a more disciplined, attack-minded coach in Cincinnati. I also am really keen to see the back of the bulk
    of Lewis' coaching staff. By the way that is one of the most poorly-written articles I have seen in my life!

So, I read the article, and there it is AGAIN! Magic Marvin is labelled as a "defensive GURU"! You have got to be friggin' kidding me. His defenses have absolutely sucked every year, except for the Zimmer years. A Marvin defense can be identified by one singular trait...... No One Knows How To Tackle! It would seem to me that tackling should be, sort of, you know, IMPORTANT to a defense.

On a side note, I saw Mike Shanahan on CowTurd this past week, and Ol' Colin was grilling him about the Rams opening. Shanahan told him that he wasn't interested, period, and even if he was, he would only work for a certain type of owner. He explained that there are only two types of owners in the NFL. Those that only want to win championships, and those who only want to make money. I'm just guessing here, but if Santa leaves a Marvin firing under my tree today, that Mike Shanahan won't be making any trips to the Nati to discuss their new H.C. opening. Just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by furnbuff View Post
    So, I read the article, and there it is AGAIN! Magic Marvin is labelled as a "defensive GURU"! You have got to be friggin' kidding me. His defenses have absolutely sucked every year, except for the Zimmer years. A Marvin defense can be identified by one singular trait...... No One Knows How To Tackle! It would seem to me that tackling should be, sort of, you know, IMPORTANT to a defense.

On a side note, I saw Mike Shanahan on CowTurd this past week, and Ol' Colin was grilling him about the Rams opening. Shanahan told him that he wasn't interested, period, and even if he was, he would only work for a certain type of owner. He explained that there are only two types of owners in the NFL. Those that only want to win championships, and those who only want to make money. I'm just guessing here, but if Santa leaves a Marvin firing under my tree today, that Mike Shanahan won't be making any trips to the Nati to discuss their new H.C. opening. Just guessing.
    Didn't he also say something about teams would be dumb to hire him over his son?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Didn't he also say something about teams would be dumb to hire him over his son?

And what self respecting father wouldn't say the same thing? Especially if they're in the same business.

And what self respecting father wouldn't say the same thing? Especially if they're in the same business.
    Paul Brown?

Reports are that Marvin isn't going anywhere.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...am-next-season

Cooley has a source...this guy has a source...

I would bank on Cooley's version that ML will retire. The "guy" he knows is either Guenther or Jay Gruden. If ML leaves, then Guenther would be on the short list. If Pauly doesn't get it, Gruden will snatch him up to be his Defensive coordinator--whom he wanted to be after he took the Washington job.

Just musing...what the hell do I know?
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    Cooley has a source...this guy has a source...

I would bank on Cooley's version that ML will retire. The "guy" he knows is either Guenther or Jay Gruden. If ML leaves, then Guenther would be on the short list. If Pauly doesn't get it, Gruden will snatch him up to be his Defensive coordinator--whom he wanted to be after he took the Washington job.

Just musing...what the hell do I know?
    Who's Cooley?

Chris Cooley (in the article). DC/Baltimore area media hack.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Groundhog Day once again for this team - can't win a playoff game with Lewis but too afraid to change just in case we regress. Too comfortable being average and moderately competitive.

On a side note, I saw Mike Shanahan on CowTurd ............(he said) he would only work for a certain type of owner. He explained that there are only two types of owners in the NFL. Those that only want to win championships, and those who only want to make money. I'm just guessing here, but if Santa leaves a Marvin firing under my tree today, that Mike Shanahan won't be making any trips to the Nati to discuss their new H.C. opening. Just guessing.

Marvin....Guenther....what makes the difference?

Mike Brown continues to be the 27 year road block.

I agree. The only way the next step can be taken is if they brought in a new HC and let him pick his staff. If he picked some current guys, fine, his call.

I wonder if Mikey would force ML's hand - tell him to take an office job or be relieved of coaching duties. I am sure they would prefer to have him doing something for his pay. If they leave him a lame duck again the team and fans I am sure will not respond; but if they gave him another one year extension I am sure the same reaction would occur. Unless I am reading the tea leaves incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    I agree. The only way the next step can be taken is if they brought in a new HC and let him pick his staff. If he picked some current guys, fine, his call.

I wonder if Mikey would force ML's hand - tell him to take an office job or be relieved of coaching duties. I am sure they would prefer to have him doing something for his pay. If they leave him a lame duck again the team and fans I am sure will not respond; but if they gave him another one year extension I am sure the same reaction would occur. Unless I am reading the tea leaves incorrectly.
    The Buccaneers fire Dungy....hire Gruden, they get a Super Bowl. Granted, he only one just one with the Bucs and the players absolutely hated him.

Also, remember when the Bengals used to look at "busts", signed them for minimal salaries or traded a 7th rd pick for them, re-developed them, and turned them into contributors? I think that really helped the team out.....you essentially gamble very little and receive a lot in return. We've kind of gotten away from that trying to focus solely on developing draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    Chris Cooley (in the article). DC/Baltimore area media hack.
    Oh, the ESPN article....yeah, there's that Cooley.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    Oh, the ESPN article....yeah, there's that Cooley.
    Pretty sure that ESPN is Coley Harvey, but he doesn't cover the Bengals anymore, some chick does.

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post

Dave Lapham has pretty much shot down the rumors that Marvin might move into a front office job.

Quote Originally Posted by TD Bengals View Post
    Dave Lapham has pretty much shot down the rumors that Marvin might move into a front office job.
    Good.

They need to make a clean break. I only supported promoting Marvin in order to get him off the field on game day. I've had that theory all through life at work. "Move him to another department, fire him, promote him, ANYTHING! Just get him out of here so we can get some work done."
    Only users lose drugs

If we had won a playoff game or two along this ML path I would likely advocate to bring him back to coach but to me and many of you no doubt he has (a) not shown the ability to get this team to the next level and (b) has this team very de-energized this season as a result of the baggage from the playoff losses. Bringing him back, especially with this current coaching staff with pretty much write the ticket form the 2017 season. The clapping clown lame duck coach on his last year of contract.

To paraphrase himself a bit "He has done what he has done but now he is done. And that's a good thing."

This season and even the past off season were such a downer. And this off season will be as well if no changes are made.

MFB wants $$$ not wins! TigerJ@w's Avatar
    He is coming back per his radio interview yesterday. That blows! Mike Brown is a moron! I will not be paying much attention with this team next year because he is coming back, unless they bring in some top FAs then forget about it, this team will have another losing season. It must be nice to be paid millions and have nothing to show for it. Of course he will come back, who wouldn't when you are not held accountable for anything. He has the dream job working under clueless money gruber Mike F Brown!
    "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.

"He is coming back per his radio interview yesterday. That blows! Mike Brown is a moron!"

Wha? Mike Brown, a Moron? Ba-pshaw, I say! Why, Mikey Brown has moved mountains trying to bring a championship to the Queen City (pass the Kool-aid, please). He has been on the forefront of Free Agency by aggressively pursuing top-tier talent (more Kool-aid, please). He has barred absolutely no expense in making Paul Brown Complex as state-of-the-art as humanly possible. My,gawd, man. Mike Brown is a saint! (just leave the pitcher, please)

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ@w View Post
    He is coming back per his radio interview yesterday. That blows! Mike Brown is a moron! I will not be paying much attention with this team next year because he is coming back, unless they bring in some top FAs then forget about it, this team will have another losing season. It must be nice to be paid millions and have nothing to show for it. Of course he will come back, who wouldn't when you are not held accountable for anything. He has the dream job working under clueless money gruber Mike F Brown!

Marvin said he will be back, but Mikey has not said it.

Cooley is the former TE of the Redskins. I put absolutely little stock into that report. Very unreliable. Sounds more like wishful thinking in Redskins land for them to get Guenther as DC. As far as I'm concerned, they can have Guenther. He coaches no discipline. Notice that all the personal foul penalties have come since he took over from Zimmer?

As for the Clapping Clown, I wish it were true and he'd be out the door. What he did was respectable, but he has LOST this team. Once that happens, time to go.

If ML were to go, I'd hope they would not promote from within. We need new blood. Tom Coughlin would be my first choice. Discipline problem solved immediately. Other candidates would be Josh McDaniel, Norv Turner, and even Sean Payton (Saints would let him go).
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Of those four you listed, I would take Coughlin or Payton.
    Only users lose drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    Of those four you listed, I would take Coughlin or Payton.
    Tom Coughlin is 70 years old. His last 3 seasons at Jacksonville were:

2000 7-9
    2001 6-10
    2002 6-10

His last 3 seasons at NY were:

2013 7-9
    2014 6-10
    2015 6-10

He's 170-150 lifetime (.531)....Marvin Lewis is 117-103 (.531)

Why would you even consider him?

Tom Coughlin is 70 years old. His last 3 seasons at Jacksonville were:

2000 7-9
    2001 6-10
    2002 6-10

His last 3 seasons at NY were:

2013 7-9
    2014 6-10
    2015 6-10

He's 170-150 lifetime (.531)....Marvin Lewis is 117-103 (.531)

Why would you even consider him?
    One has 3 SuperBowl rings, the other has 0 playoff wins in 14 years.

Well, technically, ML has a SB ring too.

Now posted on NFL.com, Marvin says "I will return!" Whoopee! Break out the champagne boys, another wonderful season of Marvin Ball is on its' way. The guy doesn't even suggest that it just might be up to Mikey if he's going to return or not. He just flat out said on "Yahoo Serious FM" that he WILL be the H.C. of the Bengals next year.

On the lighter side, comments on the article were, oh.... about 98% against Marvin not being canned, with the 2% in favor being Squealer fans. They are very, very happy that the Magic Man is coming back.

As far as I'm concerned, the H.C. position of the Bengals should be just like the H.C. at Ohio State. If you can't beat Michigan, you get fired. In the Nati, you don't beat the Evil Empire, you get fired. Period.

mic drop. nice one.

Coughlin would be good here because he would not have to rebuild. His teams always played well in the playoffs and he is a lot like Zimmer in that he demands a lot from players AND makes them accountable.

Actually Coughlin has 2 SuperBowl rings...be that as it may, this man inspires zero confidence in me.

Tom-Coughlin1372103075.jpg

I have little confidence Mikey will fire ML. If he does though, I have even less confidence of his ability to find a coach who is capable of being better. Even if that happened, I am even less confident he will let that HC choose his own staff and not meddle. I have more confidence that in the next few years Mikey will fade away and let Katie run the show whom i believe knows that you can win and make more money.

Now that there's one, maybe two franchises in LA, I don't fear Katie taking over like I used to. I just could not root for the LA Bengals.
    Only users lose drugs

Actually Coughlin has 2 SuperBowl rings...be that as it may, this man inspires zero confidence in me.

Tom-Coughlin1372103075.jpg
    He technically has 3 (one as an assistant when the Giants beat the Bills in the early '90s), though as LeTigre pointed out, Marvin technically has one as well.

When Marvin took a shitty Washington defense and put them at something like 3rd in the league in one season, I was thrilled when he came on board because I expected Cincy to have a tough D for the first time since the 70s(a couple of decent seasons in the 80s does not a great defense make). It wasn't until Zimmer came on board that they finally have a tough D.

No offense but #### rings won as an assistant coach.
    Only users lose drugs

From SI:

3. Something has to happen in Cincinnati. Marvin Lewis’ contract expires after 2017. Three years in a row he’s gotten a one-year extension. He’s been adamant over the past few weeks that he’s not retiring. So do the Bengals give him another one-year deal? Do they extend him long-term? Last year Lewis and Hue Jackson discussed a potential succession plan, before Lewis’ OC left for Cleveland, so it’s not as if he hasn’t contemplated walking away. Next year would be Lewis’ 15th as Bengals coach.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/30/n...-monday-primer