Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Marvin Lewis Reportedly To Be Fired Upon End Of Disappointing Season

Marvin isn't retiring until he gets his Super Bowl. Marvin will never retire.

Quote Originally Posted by TD Bengals View Post
    He technically has 3 (one as an assistant when the Giants beat the Bills in the early '90s), though as LeTigre pointed out, Marvin technically has one as well.
    In spite of his rings he's no better than Marvin Lewis...why do you think the NY Giants parted ways with him?

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    In spite of his rings he's no better than Marvin Lewis...why do you think the NY Giants parted ways with him?
    Because teams that want to win the SB actually make changes even if it means letting go coaches that had very good past success. Giants like to win it all, Mikey likes to be 'in the mix'
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Uh...he's already under contract for 2017. What's this one-year blather?
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Wouldn't surprise me if all 3 Marvin disciples are fired after 2017:
    Hue Jackson
    Mike Zimmer
    Jay Gruden

Which one will be the next Bengal coach?

Cleveland and Minny already said no changes .

The Washington team has come a long way since Jay has been there. They had a bit of a collapse this season to be sure, but the growth has been steady. I can't see even quick-trigger Danny pulling the plug.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Marvin is truly clueless and in denial about halftime adjustments
    After the game
    “I am extremely happy for our guys and how we came out and played today. For whatever reason, we still have that lull in the third and fourth quarters, but in all three phases, we did a very good job. That was important for the guys to continue to compete together, have fun together and enjoy each other. As we know when you move forward, nothing stays the same, and so that a great way to end this season and hopefully kick off 2017.”
    And then today
    Seeking to solve the lack of scoring in the second half that dominated the season-long offensive woes, Lewis said it had nothing to do with half-time adjustments.

“If an offensive coordinator repeated a play we would come in and pay him anyway. We have to see one of those guys repeat a play. So, the adjustment that’s more journalism jargon than truth,” Lewis said. “May be a mental thing, may be a repetition thing, a confidence thing, a poise thing, time on task thing. It’s all those things, really, is what it is. “
    Can someone please translate that nonsense to me?
    Only users lose drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    Marvin is truly clueless and in denial about halftime adjustments
    After the game

And then today
    Can someone please translate that nonsense to me?
    It means Marvin is saying he has no clue!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCat View Post
    It means Marvin is saying he has no clue!
    What a coincidence. I had no clue as to what he was trying to get at. It reminds me of Trudy Weigle on Reno 911. Her stupidity was pure genius.
    Only users lose drugs

So, the adjustment that’s more journalism jargon than truth,” Lewis said.

Wow. Clueless.Keeping clapping Marvin that always works while the other team makes adjustments

It takes 14 years for Marvin to figure it out..now he actually has to DO it, not just say he wants to. His 'vision' is to get more out of younger players..lol..really, cutting edge stuff there Marvin

While Lewis and his staff are in Mobile to look ahead and chase a Super Bowl trophy, the biggest takeaway from the year-end self-evaluation the head coach took away from a 6-9-1 season was centered around one word: competition.

“It’s kind of all-encompassing,” Lewis explained. “It means you’ve got to do a better job of our guys understanding the situation, everything about situational football, just the competitiveness of practice, the execution of the things in practice, pushing young players to pull more out of them. As coaches we’ve got to pull more out of these players all the time. The response of this is how we’ve done it is not quite good enough. It’s not good enough. Everything has got to be better. We’ve got to pull more out of each guy.”

To illustrate that thought, Lewis pointed to the group of rookie receivers in 2017 that contributed, from second-round pick Tyler Boyd to undrafted free agent Alex Erickson.

“My vision would be to get more earlier out of guys like Tyler Boyd, to be successful,” Lewis said. “Sometimes it’s on the player, sometimes it’s on us as coaches. But at the end of the process, but if we can get more out of them so that we get it done earlier. Then maybe at some point in his development, the light comes on in week two or three or week four or five.”

When can we expect to get more out of Marvin??

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCat View Post
    When can we expect to get more out of Marvin??
    LOL..more thinking and less clapping

MFB wants $$$ not wins! TigerJ@w's Avatar
    This Jackwagon said he wanted another extension, oh hell no! He gets one I will be at the point that I am done. Moving on. If anyone in their right mind goes to a game if he is extended, then you are the craziest people to walk this earth. MFB will now be the biggest buffoon of all times! Will MFB make him play out his contract? I hope the frick so!
    "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.

Mikey can always be counted on to always do the wrong thing, at the wrong time, for the wrong reasons. Magic Marvin WILL get his extension. That you can count on.

It's about going 8 and 8. It's always been about going 8 and 8. Some bloggers are saying to re-sign Marvin, stay the course with the Red Water Pistol, because "you never know that who you get to replace them is any better". Yep, that's a sure fire way to win a championship. Idiots.

I am reading a business book by Donald Keough, the former President of Coca-Cola "The Ten Commandments for Business Failure" (great book by the way). #1 is " Quit taking risks". This is as relevant to business as it is to a sports franchise that wants to win. #2 is "Be inflexible"...and so on.

This team is not built to win a championship or even seriously compete for one. As Furnbuff noted it is built to be average. This whole nonsense that "Mikey wants to win' is laughable because he takes few actions to support that statement.

This is a perfect example of why the Bengals are consistently mediocre, while the Buckeye football team continues to succeed. Lewis is brought back after his 15th year without a playoff win and possibly his most disappointing season ever. Ohio State goes 11-1, makes it the playoffs, and proceeds to get shut out in embarrassing fashion. Within a matter of days they have new QB coach and a new offensive coordinator. It's the difference between waiting for things to get better and making things better.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Good analogy

The only extension ML should get is an extension that puts a caveat in the contract-- Super Bowl title or no more extensions. Win or go home. Cue Cersi Lannister. When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die. That needs to be in the contract extension--- win or be fired.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    This is a perfect example of why the Bengals are consistently mediocre, while the Buckeye football team continues to succeed. Lewis is brought back after his 15th year without a playoff win and possibly his most disappointing season ever. Ohio State goes 11-1, makes it the playoffs, and proceeds to get shut out in embarrassing fashion. Within a matter of days they have new QB coach and a new offensive coordinator. It's the difference between waiting for things to get better and making things better.
    Good Lord...comparing school sports involving children, to major league business involving grown ups. Smh.

First it is college not high school and second, college sports is every bit as big as pro sports. But you clearly miss the POINT of the comparison.

No, I did not miss any point. No disrespect intended towards our friend, but it is strawman at best.

What a filthy rich higher education football factory does with its employees, simply has no bearings as to the operations of a major league sports franchise.

Better to use comparisons from the same levels--as incomplete as those may even be.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    No, I did not miss any point. No disrespect intended towards our friend, but it is strawman at best.

What a filthy rich higher education football factory does with its employees, simply has no bearings as to the operations of a major league sports franchise.

Better to use comparisons from the same levels--as incomplete as those may even be.
    In that case we can certainly site many examples of teams making multiple coaching changes in the time frame the Bengals make one. They do it to try and find the right formula for winning. Mikey just wants everyone to be comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post

Clearly the only perfect comparison would be to compare the Bengals actions in any given moment with the Bengals actions in that moment.
    Im finally starting to see the light.

My head hurts now, btw. Is that normal?
    Dona eis Requiem

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    In that case we can certainly site many examples of teams making multiple coaching changes in the time frame the Bengals make one. They do it to try and find the right formula for winning. Mikey just wants everyone to be comfortable.
    I want to be comfortable....
    Dona eis Requiem

Quote Originally Posted by SladeX View Post
    Clearly the only perfect comparison would be to compare the Bengals actions in any given moment with the Bengals actions in that moment.
    Im finally starting to see the light.

My head hurts now, btw. Is that normal?

Reasonable thought.

You can not compare OSU football in the FBS to the NFL. OSU is taking advantage of a vastly uneven playing field. They are the Yankees of early free agency tenfold. With all their built in advantages they can afford to make rash changes and still avoid a large downside if those changes turn out to be poor choices. It has shown that in the NFL stability is rewarded. Having the same systems and scouts allow for the ability to draft better as everyone is on the same page and you can plug your holes through the draft more efficiently. It has shown with the Bengals and their improvement. The only thing that is holding the Bengals back is that they have not/did not hit on a PLUS QB. That is holding back a lot of NFL teams. As a fan of another team in the AFC North I hope the Bengals come with radical change. Chances are the results wont be as easy to replicate, let alone surpass the status quo.

Good analogy
    It's a silly analogy. I'm done with Marvin but to compare any NFL team with the Ohio State Buckeyes is ludicrous. Look at the recruiting sites. Ohio State got 12 top 100 players. Alabama got 13. No one else in the nation got more than 7. No one else in the Big Ten got more than 6. There aren't those kinds of inequities in the NFL with its salary cap and draft rules. Ohio State is great because they field players that are far more talented than pretty much every team they play in a given year. That doesn't happen in the NFL.

http://www.scout.com/college/footbal...9&c=14&yr=2017

Quote Originally Posted by VOR View Post
    You can not compare OSU football in the FBS to the NFL. OSU is taking advantage of a vastly uneven playing field. They are the Yankees of early free agency tenfold. With all their built in advantages they can afford to make rash changes and still avoid a large downside if those changes turn out to be poor choices. It has shown that in the NFL stability is rewarded. Having the same systems and scouts allow for the ability to draft better as everyone is on the same page and you can plug your holes through the draft more efficiently. It has shown with the Bengals and their improvement. The only thing that is holding the Bengals back is that they have not/did not hit on a PLUS QB. That is holding back a lot of NFL teams. As a fan of another team in the AFC North I hope the Bengals come with radical change. Chances are the results wont be as easy to replicate, let alone surpass the status quo.
    I agree with a lot of that but Dalton's not the big issue. If it was just him then we would be losing to the Patriots in a lot of AFC championship games. Our QB is plenty good enough to advance in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's a silly analogy. I'm done with Marvin but to compare any NFL team with the Ohio State Buckeyes is ludicrous. Look at the recruiting sites. Ohio State got 12 top 100 players. Alabama got 13. No one else in the nation got more than 7. No one else in the Big Ten got more than 6. There aren't those kinds of inequities in the NFL with its salary cap and draft rules. Ohio State is great because they field players that are far more talented than pretty much every team they play in a given year. That doesn't happen in the NFL.

http://www.scout.com/college/footbal...9&c=14&yr=2017
    The analogy is - the team makes changes in order to win championships. They could rest on the laurels as a top 10 or top 5 team but instead they make changes to be #1. It is what the Pats do as well. In every league there are teams that drive and strive to be the best and others that just want to 'be in the mix'. Guess which one we are?

Thought I would read up on all of this supposed Urban-led "shakeup".

Seems he didn't can anyone. The Offensive Coordinator--who also just happened to be the QB coach--left on his own accord to become...wait for it...Offensive Coordinator and QB coach at Texas. And where another former OSU Offensive Coordinator (and sorely missed) happens to be the HC.

So the newbies who come in: is one of Chip's staff jettisoned with him at SF (QB coach), and a former HC of Indiana for offensive coordinator.

So while the optics would strive to show some magnanimous changes to not be "status quo", the reality is that there was going to be a need to fill both positions anyway.

Not that any of this still matters in terms of the Bengals, but interesting to look a little deeper.

Come on now, LT. People with an ax to grind don't like it when you throw facts in their face.
    Only users lose drugs

Because teams that want to win the SB actually make changes even if it means letting go coaches that had very good past success. Giants like to win it all, Mikey likes to be 'in the mix'
    Worked out well for the Giants, didn't it?

The analogy is - the team makes changes in order to win championships. They could rest on the laurels as a top 10 or top 5 team but instead they make changes to be #1. It is what the Pats do as well. In every league there are teams that drive and strive to be the best and others that just want to 'be in the mix'. Guess which one we are?
    The Pats do more than just make changes, even though they do make plenty of them yearly. In that respect alone, they are the anti-Bengals, who change slower than the rest of the NFL.

Everyone knows who the Patriots are - a very intelligent, disciplined organization/team, who constantly find pieces of the puzzle that meet their standards. Their players are guys who can learn the advanced playbook and execute the plays with precision. They get with the program or get shown the door.

The Patriots play like a machine - even though the lineup changes every year. They find gems low in the draft, trade for players and sign perfect FAs that can make their grade

The Bengals just seem like a bunch of guys who can run fast, jump high and lift 225 lbs. a bunch of times. There seems to be no identity to the Bengals, other that "losers" or "underachievers."

Guys that would get cut by some teams - thrive with the Patriots.

"Studs" that show off on the Bengals, couldn't play for the Pats.

And they will win it all again tomorrow...proving that cheating coaches, drunken owners, and all-around money for the NFL making monsters, are once again the object of your worship (outside of some team from western PA).

Thankfully, but of course according to plan/cue, Tommy does have an expiration date. His bye-bye will put your deities back on mortal ground.

Great while it lasts for you...so enjoy it to the hilt.

You're bitter bias notwithstanding, they probably will win the SB again.

You think all you need is cheating coaches, drunken owners and bribe money to win? lolololol

Are you a defense attorney? lol

Ask yourself why Ocho Cinco couldn't get off the bench in N.E.

Ask yourself why small WRs with pedestrian speed can gain 1000 yards with the Pats.

Ask yourself why their defense is rated near the top, annually, even while they cut great players for non-compliance.

Brady may never have been great if he had gotten drafted by the Bengals or most any other team. The Patriots are the sum of their parts. They won 14 or 15 games one year with a backup QB who hadn't started a game since high school !! He left for FA and we never heard from again. It ain't ALL Brady.

Exactly Lima. The Pats are the gold standard of winning NFL team environment. They are leading edge and sometimes push the envelope too far but do so to WIN.

I wish we were called cheaters but had won 4 SB's. Instead we are called thugs who lose every playoff game. Every fan base is jealous of the Pats. Call them every name in the book but we would all love to be in their shoes.

Exactly Lima. The Pats are the gold standard of winning NFL team environment. They are leading edge and sometimes push the envelope too far but do so to WIN.

I wish we were called cheaters but had won 4 SB's. Instead we are called thugs who lose every playoff game. Every fan base is jealous of the Pats. Call them every name in the book but we would all love to be in their shoes.
    Be glad we're not known as the team that blew a 25 second half lead in the Super Bowl