Thread: Wide Receivers 2016

Wide Receivers 2016

AJ GREEN
    Pro Bowler was having his best season so far when his season ended just as he was heading towards the easier stretch of games(he torches Baltimore), a stretch that proved difficult without their #1 WR and Gio. AJ is a tremendous athlete that makes amazing catches . . .however, I'm just not sure that he's a great football player. TWICE(!) in his shortened season he thought a passing play was a running play so when Dalton rolls out expecting AJ to be beating his man, he's out there blocking. Dalton now has to run with no designed protection . . . even if he throws it away, it's now offensive pass interference on AJ. He also had a couple of potentially long TD passes, one against Washington, where he just tried to run under it and catch it in stride but the passes were knocked away because he didn't go up for the ball. Julio Jones might be the best today at going up to get the ball on a deep pass. That's called throwing the ball up for your PLAYMAKER to MAKE A PLAY!!! If he made one play on the two deep passes that I saw, he would have joined Randy Moss as the only two to have 1,000 yards their first 6 seasons. The best WR they have by far, but he could be better.

BRANDON LAFELL
    Coming into this season, I didn't like the LaFell signing at all. I thought that a mediocre WR would take much needed snaps/catches from Boyd and Core. I'll admit that he proved me wrong. He still may have just been a stop-gap because it looks like Core may be the new #2. LaFell had some sweet footwork on the sidelines a few times and his 86 yard catch and run in Houston was impressive, but I especially liked his even-keeled approach. He didn't seem to get too upset on the field when things didn't go his way or he felt that he didn't get a call from the refs. His quiet professionalism reminded me of . . . AJ Green. Don't throw a mini fit when you don't get a call on a third down in the second quarter because you'll have to top it if you don't get a call on an even more important third down in the 4th quarter and look like a dipshit that can't control his emotions. I only stress this because of the positive example shown to the next four names on the list.

TYLER BOYD
    Some good, some bad. Pretty good rookie season even though he only started twice. Has some moves, and will fight for the ball. Needs to maybe focus and work on getting open a bit more. Disappeared at times. He caught 21 passes the first four games without AJ, but possibly hit the rookie wall as he finished with only six more with just 2 catches in each of the last three games. Looked better on reverses than just about any Bengal WR since Tim McGee, but that's not really saying much as the Bengals have notoriously sucked on reverses. 4 runs and one was a passing lateral. 1 yard, 3 yards, an exciting 15 yarder Sunday where he turned up field and hit the hole quickly and a 39 yard run @ Cleveland. If he doesn't get Jeremy Hill disease(aka as readingyourownpressitis), he should shred nickel corners next season. Already an upgrade from Sanu as 3rd WR.
    Sanu - 33 rec - 394 yds - 0 td 2015 mostly as a 3rd WR with 4 starts
    Boyd - 54 rec - 603 yds - 1 td mostly as a 3rd WR with 2 starts and only one of those was while AJ was out because Core moved right into the #2 role quite nicely.

CODY CORE
    Started the last four games and showed flashes here and there. Mixed results but did look like he belongs in the NFL. Eight of his 17 catches came @ Houston but for only 39 yards and the longest was only 9 yards. He will catch the ball in traffic, he showed that Sunday and in the pre-season. Unless they re-sign LaFell, we just got a glimpse of Marvin Jones' replacement.

JAMES WRIGHT
    Finally got a chance to show why he's been on the roster for a few years. He had a couple of debatable drops but he also made a few nice catches. A good #4 or #5 WR. He's been learning the system for three seasons so he should be able to hold onto his roster spot unless Cincy drafts a WR.

ALEX ERICKSON
    The Bengals may have FINALLY found their return man. He flipped the field a few times and looked dangerous on a few screens. Knows how to set up blocks, knows when to hesitate and when to burst. Too many screens fall apart because the receiver thinks it's a race and outruns his blockers. Sometimes it's best to pick your spots and Erickson does that pretty well.

JAKE KUMEROW
    Fill in your own review. I only saw parts of two pre-season games and I don't recall anything he did.

I think that the Bengals did well replacing Sanu and Jones and their WR group is a lot like TE. They have enough young talent at both spots to ignore those position groups this off-season. Let them grow into the offense instead of the revolving door at the back end of the roster. That approach helps no one.
    Only users lose drugs

Pretty spot on. I agree that WR is a position we shouldn't have to look at in the first couple of days in the draft. As we discussed, the Bengals need to incorporate crossing routes into their passing game. Defenses for along time have figured out on short yardage, that we tend to go to the slant. I was kind of dissappointed this year that we didn't see more of Kroft involved in the game, especially with Eifert missing time. I believe crossing routes would have his name written all over them.
    Another off season for Boyd should do wonders for him. I think he has a bright future. Core, love the kid!
    Erickson was booed early for fair catching to many balls, but when the light came on, he was amazing! Why he didn't make the pro bowl as the AFC returner is beyond me....

Quote Originally Posted by sandwedge View Post
    Erickson was booed early for fair catching to many balls, but when the light came on, he was amazing! Why he didn't make the pro bowl as the AFC returner is beyond me....
    Good point about the fair catches. I had forgotten about that.
    Only users lose drugs

I think a lot of folks (Hobson included) are putting too much faith in Core. He looks fine, but when you're trying to field a championship team you think of guys like him as #4 or #5 type guys. The 50 yarder he had against the Eagles was against a pretty mediocre guy, and in the last game the Ravens didn't look like they were even trying. Nice prospect, but Core and Boyd opposite Green in '17 is a potential disaster.

I hope we re-sign LaFell to a one year deal at a slight raise. Even with his production I still don't think he'll command much on the open market.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    I think a lot of folks (Hobson included) are putting too much faith in Core. He looks fine, but when you're trying to field a championship team you think of guys like him as #4 or #5 type guys. The 50 yarder he had against the Eagles was against a pretty mediocre guy, and in the last game the Ravens didn't look like they were even trying. Nice prospect, but Core and Boyd opposite Green in '17 is a potential disaster.

I hope we re-sign LaFell to a one year deal at a slight raise. Even with his production I still don't think he'll command much on the open market.
    I think the point was that Core has potential much like Marvin Jones and Sanu did and even Housh did all as mid to late rounders. There is no area on the team that should be considered solid, and continuing to draft is the way to go IMO. I have no issue with our drafting, coaching on the other hand...
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Like everybody keeps saying, they need a deep threat. We just need a guy who can flat-out run and catch the ball deep. Find that guy with AJ and a healthy Eifert......Super Bowl. Boyd was a huge reach. You can find guys like him a dime a dozen. We should have traded and gotten Will Fuller.

Bring Darnay Scott out of retirement. That's all that guy would do, his Average yards per reception was always near top in the league.

In different years he has a year long TD reception of 76, 88, 77, 70, and 76. Many of those were Blake Bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by BengalCP9 View Post
    Like everybody keeps saying, they need a deep threat. We just need a guy who can flat-out run and catch the ball deep. Find that guy with AJ and a healthy Eifert......Super Bowl. Boyd was a huge reach. You can find guys like him a dime a dozen. We should have traded and gotten Will Fuller.
    No starting player is a 'dime a dozen', our LB crew is proof of that. Not sure we need a deep threat so mush as another intermediate threat (slants and the like). Dalton is bot at his best with the deep ball so with more intermediate threats and a solid run game he has a chance. Would not dismiss a deep threat obviously but I don't think it is critical. AJ can be the deep threat
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Bengals must resign LaFell for the simple reason that AJ could go down with injury. I'd like to bring in a speed guy, but with Ericson as a return guy where do you play him? You only draft a WR if a starter drops to you. I blame the OC, and to a lesser extent Dalton, for LaFell/Boyd/Core lack of production. With our OLine this year, Dalton threw into coverage to AJ and Eifert more than he should and when everyone is covered the defense could see what play was coming and that's on Zampese.

Beyond AJ Green, everyone else is average and replaceable. I blame the lack of a more explosive offense on AJ and Eifert only being together for 2 games, player cohesion, and that Lafell/Boyd/Core/Kroft/Uzomah cannot separate. I like how Matt Lengel can go to the Patriots, play, and score a touchdown and we had this guy on our practice squad...6'7 265 pounds.

Anyone remember in 2009 where we basically had to play like an Army, Navy, or Air Force college football team and just run the ball and have no passing game? Levranues Coles had average speed and couldn't get open, so all they did was put 8 in the box and double cover Chad Johnson.

2005 was the year..... you had your no.1 in Chad Johnson, your 3rd down possession guy in Houshmandzadeh, and your deep threat in Chris Henry. All three were not the brightest in terms of knowing a scheme but they could play. I would say Dalton did a lot with nothing because he can get rid of the ball quickly and has to rely on dink and dunk. His deep-ball to me is above-average, kind of useless if a receiver can't get away from a defender too. 3,000 yards went to other players not named AJ Green so that was encouraging and basically a non-existent running game.

2005 was the year..... you had your no.1 in Chad Johnson, your 3rd down possession guy in Houshmandzadeh, and your deep threat in Chris Henry. All three were not the brightest in terms of knowing a scheme but they could play. I would say Dalton did a lot with nothing because he can get rid of the ball quickly and has to rely on dink and dunk. His deep-ball to me is above-average, kind of useless if a receiver can't get away from a defender too. 3,000 yards went to other players not named AJ Green so that was encouraging and basically a non-existent running game.
    Boyd did well on 3rd downs the second half of the season. If Eifert can ever get and stay healthy, he and Boyd would make a great third down combo, especially if AJ is getting double-teamed.

Beyond AJ Green, everyone else is average and replaceable. I blame the lack of a more explosive offense on AJ and Eifert only being together for 2 games, player cohesion, and that Lafell/Boyd/Core/Kroft/Uzomah cannot separate.
    I totally see that but I was never impressed with the Sanu-Jones combo for years for the same reason, little to no separation. Boyd has shown the occasional ability to get open despite the lack of a crossing route in the Bengals playbook. I have to admit that I liked the Zampese hiring. He failed quite a bit early on but the offense played pretty good late and looked like a machine against Baltimore with Rex Burkhead(aka Burkman in some circles) attacking the defense. Core(6th round) might be the next Houshmandzadeh(7th round), just remember that it took TJ a few years to establish himself. 21 catches, 41 catches, zero-injured, 73, 78, 90, 112, 92

I like how Matt Lengel can go to the Patriots, play, and score a touchdown and we had this guy on our practice squad...6'7 265 pounds.
    Two schools of thought on that.
    1) The Bengals mis-judged the talent level of their TE group.
    2) The Patriots weren't prepared for the TE injuries and a practice squad player is going to be playing important snaps for a team that appears to run their offense through the TEs.
    I don't blame the Bengals on that one at all. It helps any player having Tom Brady in the huddle and Bill Belichik on the sidelines.

Anyone remember in 2009 where we basically had to play like an Army, Navy, or Air Force college football team and just run the ball and have no passing game? Levranues Coles had average speed and couldn't get open, so all they did was put 8 in the box and double cover Chad Johnson.

The first mock draft that I saw this year had Cincinnati taking a WR. At first I said no way! But after awhile, I thought of 2005's offense and how a defense would have their hands full having to plan for Burkhead, Bernard, AJ, Eifert, Boyd and a new top notch young WR . . . the idea of a 1st round WR now sounded pretty inviting, I just hope that they make sure that they get the o-line straightened out. I'd still like a Safety or LB at #9 if one is worth the high selection, but I won't be too upset with if they wind up with a stud WR early. I'd probably be more upset with them taking so long to finally address the importance of a dominant #2 WR.

If they don't get a receiver in the top two rounds, don 't bother drafting one late. Re-sign LaFell and leave the back end of the roster alone. Give them the opportunity to grow into solid WRs much like how TJ did. I'm more comfortable with this receiving corp versus this time last year when they still had Jones and Sanu in their sights. Those two have pretty much grown as far as they can and this current group is at least as good as them, if not better, with room to grow.
    Last edited by Pre_hungover; 01-08-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    Only users lose drugs

dont matter how many great recievers/ rbs you have if the ol sux like this year. you win more with solid line play and average skill then you do with great skill and average lines.

If I ever got a chance at a GM spot, I would draft OL round one, DL round two. Next year DL round one, OL round two and keep alternating every year.
    Only users lose drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    If I ever got a chance at a GM spot, I would draft OL round one, DL round two. Next year DL round one, OL round two and keep alternating every year.
    Ditto. And draft a damn center in the early rounds. Most of the top centers in the league were drafted in the first or second rounds. The Bengals keep drafting 4th and 5th rounders and whiffing. They haven't drafted a center in the first or second round since 1983. The only one we drafted in the third round was the oft-injured waste of space Rod Payne. Wouldn't mind seeing Pat Elflein in stripes.

I don't see why Cody Core can't be that guy. Of course if another option falls to us in the draft, I'd be fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't see why Cody Core can't be that guy. Of course if another option falls to us in the draft, I'd be fine with that.
    Core runs an average 4.47 40 yd dash. Not slow, but not elite.

Core runs an average 4.47 40 yd dash. Not slow, but not elite.
    AJ Green ran a 4.5

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...een?id=2495450

Marvin Jones was 4.46

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...nes?id=2532884

What's your beef?

After seeing Williams last night, I wouldn't be upset at all if we took him with our pick. Great skill set at WR.....

Quote Originally Posted by sandwedge View Post
    After seeing Williams last night, I wouldn't be upset at all if we took him with our pick. Great skill set at WR.....
    Sadly he reminds me a lot of the kid from OSU that the Jets drafted a couple years ago, Devin Smith, who hasn't lived up to expectations.

Out of anyone in that game last night, the guy I would want is OJ Howard, but the Bengals already have enough TEs.

The beef is that 4.47 and 4.5 are required/average speed for wide receivers. Calvin Johnson ran a 4.35 40 yd dash, Randy Moss ran a 4.25 40 yd dash, and Julio Junes runs a 4.39. AJ Green is a great all-around WR with amazing hands and body control who will burn you deep. But he is not a true "burner" like the other guys. Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 or 4.7, Jerry was a route runner and caught everything that came his way in a west coast timing offense.

You just cannot coach speed. As fictional character Mickey Goldmill once said "We need speed. Speed's what we need. Greasy, fast speed!" ..... Well, speed and the ability to play: see Mario Alford.

those low times are fake numbers , run by a track trained and coached player in shorts, track shoes, totally rested and in best possible conditions.

The beef is that 4.47 and 4.5 are required/average speed for wide receivers. Calvin Johnson ran a 4.35 40 yd dash, Randy Moss ran a 4.25 40 yd dash, and Julio Junes runs a 4.39. AJ Green is a great all-around WR with amazing hands and body control who will burn you deep. But he is not a true "burner" like the other guys. Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 or 4.7, Jerry was a route runner and caught everything that came his way in a west coast timing offense.

You just cannot coach speed. As fictional character Mickey Goldmill once said "We need speed. Speed's what we need. Greasy, fast speed!" ..... Well, speed and the ability to play: see Mario Alford.
    I'm all for a burner. If we can grab one in April, do it. But I do think CC can stretch the field like M Jones did. CC's weakness is route running and that CAN be coached.

I don't think Mike Williams will run an impressive 40 time at the combine and he'll arguably be the first WR taken