Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 79

Thread: Will AJ McCarron be traded?

  1. #1
    MFB wants $$$ not wins! TigerJ@w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,388

    Will AJ McCarron be traded?

    I say he will request to be traded. It just sounds like he wants out and I do not blame him. I want to see what he can do as a starter. Cleveland needs a QB, will Hue come a calling? What about Jets? Marv said nobody asked about him in the off-season, well, I read somewhere that Lap said we were offered a 2nd or 4th for him. So who is telling the truth? What is he worth?
    "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

    Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.

  2. #2
    Supposedly the Pats want a First and a Fifth for Jimmy G., how can McCarron be worth less than that?

  3. #3
    The Bengals have 11 picks in this draft. Unless by adding one more to take as competent a backup as he is, why in the world would they trade him?
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    The Bengals have 11 picks in this draft. Unless by adding one more to take as competent a backup as he is, why in the world would they trade him?
    11 picks? Are you counting comp picks that haven been given out yet?

    Also what would stop them from combining a pick or two with McCarron to get a high pick? Say McCarron and a second and a third for #1 pick to get Garrett? Then the Bengals would have 2 top 10 picks?

    Also...I was thinking about comp picks. The Bengals lost basically three big FAs in Jones, Sanu, and Smith. They did however get Dansby and LaFell in return. So do the Bengals end up with maybe a 5th?

  5. #5
    I'm not sure Dansby counts. Was he a FA or was he waived/cut by Cleveland? I could be wrong, as my caring about the NFL wains more and more each year, but I always thought that picking up waived players doesn't count as a FA signing.
    Only users lose drugs

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    I'm not sure Dansby counts. Was he a FA or was he waived/cut by Cleveland? I could be wrong, as my caring about the NFL wains more and more each year, but I always thought that picking up waived players doesn't count as a FA signing.
    Yeah he was actually cut in the offseason, does that matter?

    Oh Wow, I totally forgot the Bengals lost Reggie Nelson too. That right there should be a third or fourth round pick. He had a large contract AND made the Pro Bowl.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ@w View Post
    I say he will request to be traded. It just sounds like he wants out and I do not blame him. I want to see what he can do as a starter. Cleveland needs a QB, will Hue come a calling? What about Jets? Marv said nobody asked about him in the off-season, well, I read somewhere that Lap said we were offered a 2nd or 4th for him. So who is telling the truth? What is he worth?


    The rumor was that Zimmer was making an offer on McCarron just before the Eggles named their first round pick as their starter, which made Bradford trade bait.

  8. #8
    The Bengals will get at least 3 picks. One for Jones, one for Sanu, and one for Nelson. The question is whether they get one for Andre Smith too. Overthecap.com has some info on this if you want to read up on it. And no, Dansby and LaFell don't count since they were cut. The Bengals do this on purpose to load up on picks. I think it's part of their management strategy to maintain fiscal health while other teams have to cut veterans. We let guys go and replace them with other teams' cap casualties, and load up in the draft every year. They were pretty pissed that they didn't get one last year (for Newman I believe), but that was because per CBA rules there are only 32 comp picks awarded, essentially amounting to an extra round, and the value of Newman's contract with Minnesota just narrowly missed the cut. That's why we don't know if we'll get a late pick for Smith or not. Where exactly those picks will be is anybody's guess, because it's a function of contracts, playing time, making the pro bowl, etc. Overthecap.com predicts two fours and two sixths for us, but they're only basing that on contracts, not the other variables. I'm guessing a 3, a 4, and a 6, but that's just a guess.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    The Bengals have 11 picks in this draft. Unless by adding one more to take as competent a backup as he is, why in the world would they trade him?
    Here's a scenario that to me is actually fairly realistic (although maybe wishful thinking). Kirk Cousins is, like many pro athletes, all ego. If Washington was willing to pay him 19.9 million on the franchise tag last year, why wouldn't he just ask for a deal on that amount every year? He's looking for a Flacco contract. If Washington franchises him again, they have to pay him something like 20 percent more, in the neighborhood of 24 million. And early in the year there were reports that Cousins's relationship with players and coaches was strained, though he did turn it around after that.

    And Gruden loves McCarron. He sees him as Cousins but more of a leader. I wouldn't be surprised if Washington is on the phone with us even before FA to see what trading for McCarron would cost. Washington doesn't have much cap room, and trading for McCarron would be much cheaper than paying a mediocre QB 24 million. Then it becomes an issue of how badly we want to deal McCarron.

    My suggestion to them would be Trent Murphy and a 2018 third rounder. They'll get a comp third in 2018 for losing Cousins in FA anyway, and there's no reason the compensation we seek need be 2017 picks. Murphy, by the way, is miscast in their 3-4, constantly bouncing between DE and LB, but had 8 sacks this year. He's be a perfect fit as a DE for us at about 285 pounds (he has ranged between 290 and 260 as a pro). Plus going into the last year of his contract Washington probably knows they can't re-sign him, as Preston Smith starts ahead of him.

    There... instant upgrade on MJ at DE, and we sign a vet backup in case Driskel stinks.

  10. #10
    Well, then. Why don't you just walk into the thread and clarify everything?

    Good posts, Bengali.
    Only users lose drugs

  11. #11
    In the minority shebengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Columbus (Stuck in a houseful of Browns fans)
    Posts
    1,325
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ@w View Post
    I say he will request to be traded. It just sounds like he wants out and I do not blame him. I want to see what he can do as a starter. Cleveland needs a QB, will Hue come a calling?
    I don't see the Bengals trading him within the division. I would certainly hope not.
    "She's a Browns fan. She doesn't know anything about the playoffs." Chuck Todd referring to Kelly O'Donnell on "Meet the Press"

    "The Browns are so low in national esteem that they troll the football equivalent of the thermal vents at the bottom of the Marianas Trench in the Pacific. This is the deepest point on the surface of the earth. Strange creatures live there and also in Berea." Bill Livingston-The Plain Dealer

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    The Bengals will get at least 3 picks. One for Jones, one for Sanu, and one for Nelson. The question is whether they get one for Andre Smith too. Overthecap.com has some info on this if you want to read up on it. And no, Dansby and LaFell don't count since they were cut. The Bengals do this on purpose to load up on picks. I think it's part of their management strategy to maintain fiscal health while other teams have to cut veterans. We let guys go and replace them with other teams' cap casualties, and load up in the draft every year. They were pretty pissed that they didn't get one last year (for Newman I believe), but that was because per CBA rules there are only 32 comp picks awarded, essentially amounting to an extra round, and the value of Newman's contract with Minnesota just narrowly missed the cut. That's why we don't know if we'll get a late pick for Smith or not. Where exactly those picks will be is anybody's guess, because it's a function of contracts, playing time, making the pro bowl, etc. Overthecap.com predicts two fours and two sixths for us, but they're only basing that on contracts, not the other variables. I'm guessing a 3, a 4, and a 6, but that's just a guess.
    Reggie Nelson HAS to be worth a third rounder. Big contract and made the Pro Bowl. Jones and Sanu both got huge contracts and both had average seasons, so if anything they have to be worth a 4th for Jones who almost had 1,000 yards. Sanu should be at least a 5th based on contract size alone. Having two thirds, two fourths, and two fifths would be huge. If they could finagle another first for McCarron the Bengals could absolutely load up on talent without having to pick for need.

  13. #13
    I always forget the comp pick rules. Do we still get a pick for Nelson even though he was not drafted by us? At some point, i thought it was just for losing players you picked yourself but likely wrong on that.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    I always forget the comp pick rules. Do we still get a pick for Nelson even though he was not drafted by us? At some point, i thought it was just for losing players you picked yourself but likely wrong on that.
    Yes he is eligible... and I forgot about Leon Hall. I wonder what the cap on picks can be? Seems like the Bengals have 4-5 guys that could be worth picks.

  15. #15
    3 teams last year received 4 picks each and remember also that starting in 2017, these picks are eligible to be traded
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

  16. #16

  17. #17
    What if the Bengals trade McCarron and Jeremy Hill and end up with two first round picks total... and use their top 10 pick on Fournette???

  18. #18
    Firstt round RB? No thanks
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    Firstt round RB? No thanks
    Fournette for 5 years on a rookie deal? To go with Gio? Are you kidding?

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Fournette for 5 years on a rookie deal? To go with Gio? Are you kidding?
    No i am not kidding. RB's have short life spans and subject to injuries. Want to use high picks on 10 year players not 5.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

  21. #21
    Very much agreed.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

  22. #22
    Administrator Super Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    6,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Fournette for 5 years on a rookie deal? To go with Gio? Are you kidding?
    Trent Richardson was a can't miss RB. No to early first round RB's

  23. #23
    TD Bengals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Northern Kentucky, USA, Earth, Milky Way
    Posts
    2,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Cat View Post
    Trent Richardson was a can't miss RB. No to early first round RB's
    Let's not forget Ki-Jana Carter and Chris Perry.

  24. #24
    Oh I can play this game... and Ladanian Thomlinson and Ezekiel Elliot. Come on let's have some fun...

    OF COURSE THERE ARE GUYS THAT DON'T WORK OUT... but that's true at any position, and for God's sake this is the NFL where it is rare you draft a guy and he stays with your team for 10 years and doesn't leave on a huge contract after his rookie one.

    Maybe instead we need a Levi Jones? Or how about a Reinard Wilson? A Kieth Rivers? I know...John Copeland! Let's draft another John Copeland!
    Last edited by Lewdog; 01-05-2017 at 07:46 AM.

  25. #25
    Levi Jones wasn't too bad. Nobody would give a number one pick for Jeremy Hill, lol. Maybe the Browns.....they can have him.

    Either way with McCarron we win. We can make a demand and stick to it. McCarron will be a restricted free agent in 2018. If a team wants him, they'll have to pay him and provide a first round pick. The first round pick tender for McCarron is $3.6 million dollars. So if a team wants him, they need to work out a contract and give us a first round pick. No brainer here. A back-up for $3.6 million dollars or a first round pick.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by BengalCP9 View Post
    Levi Jones wasn't too bad. Nobody would give a number one pick for Jeremy Hill, lol. Maybe the Browns.....they can have him.

    Either way with McCarron we win. We can make a demand and stick to it. McCarron will be a restricted free agent in 2018. If a team wants him, they'll have to pay him and provide a first round pick. The first round pick tender for McCarron is $3.6 million dollars. So if a team wants him, they need to work out a contract and give us a first round pick. No brainer here. A back-up for $3.6 million dollars or a first round pick.
    I wasn't saying to get a #1 pick for Hill alone. The Bengals are going to have a ton of picks...

  27. #27
    I would rather have a bunch of picks than a higher pick....if you have more picks, your % of getting a contributor significantly goes up. Last year's draft, we didn't get anyone.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by BengalCP9 View Post
    I would rather have a bunch of picks than a higher pick....if you have more picks, your % of getting a contributor significantly goes up. Last year's draft, we didn't get anyone.
    We didn't get anyone? You can't discount getting WJIII and Billings just because of injuries. That happens and they'll be back. Boyd played a lot and put up stats better than Sanu and not far off from Jones, Vigil played a lot for a Marvin rookie, Cody Core showed a lot of promise, Fejedelem played a lot of special teams... Westerman is the only guy that didn't really do anything. To say the Bengals didn't get anything out of the 2016 draft is silly.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Yes he is eligible... and I forgot about Leon Hall. I wonder what the cap on picks can be? Seems like the Bengals have 4-5 guys that could be worth picks.
    Reggie Nelson to Oakland
    Marvin Jones to Detroit
    Mohammed Sanu to Atlanta
    Emmanuel Lamur to Minnesota
    Andre Smith to Minnesota
    Wallace Gilberry to Detroit

    I think that they put the cap at 4 picks so maybe numbers 4 and 5 combine from a couple of 6th round level comps to one 5th round comp?
    Last edited by Pre_hungover; 01-05-2017 at 12:50 AM.
    Only users lose drugs

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    Reggie Nelson to Oakland
    Marvin Jones to Detroit
    Mohammed Sanu to Atlanta
    Emmanuel Lamur to Minnesota
    Andre Smith to Minnesota
    Wallace Gilberry to Detroit

    I think that they put the cap at 4 picks so maybe numbers 4 and 5 combine from a couple of 6th round level comps to one 5th round comp?
    I'm going to take a make a conservative prediction given how the NFL likes to treat the Bengals.

    Nelson - 4th (Should be a third based on the combination of contract and performance, but the contract wasn't high enough for the NFL to actually give them one.)
    Jones - 4th
    Sanu - 5th
    Hall - 7th

    Since the NFL only gives out 32 comp picks total, the Bengals might not even get that 7th.

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    I'm going to take a make a conservative prediction given how the NFL likes to treat the Bengals.

    Nelson - 4th (Should be a third based on the combination of contract and performance, but the contract wasn't high enough for the NFL to actually give them one.)
    Jones - 4th
    Sanu - 5th
    Hall - 7th

    Since the NFL only gives out 32 comp picks total, the Bengals might not even get that 7th.
    Hall doesn't qualify according to the link left by I_C_DP . . . well now that looks dirty.
    Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    I'm pretty sure they're just making projections.

    I'm guessing Hall doesn't count and Nelson only garners a 6th due to age/time served? Reggie certainly performed above Jones and Sanu.
    Only users lose drugs

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    Hall doesn't qualify according to the link left by I_C_DP . . . well now that looks dirty.

    I'm pretty sure they're just making projections.

    I'm guessing Hall doesn't count and Nelson only garners a 6th due to age/time served? Reggie certainly performed above Jones and Sanu.
    No, his link is old, and Hall hadn't signed a contract yet and the link doesn't include the performance part of the equation, only the size of the contracts.

  33. #33
    Also according to that link, there are 32 spots and 44 players eligible, just read your comment on it's out dated . . . got it.

    Bengals are the only team with 6 eligible losses and the Browns are the only team with 5

    Here's the breakdown for the NFC
    Cards 4
    Rams 3
    Seahawks 2
    Packers 2
    49ers 1
    Panthers 1

    All 4 teams from the West, 1 team from the South, 1 team from the North and none from the East. A total of 13. The AFC North alone has 15 eligible losses. Tough football in the AFC North.
    Only users lose drugs

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Oh I can play this game... and Ladanian Thomlinson and Ezekiel Elliot. Come on let's have some fun...

    OF COURSE THERE ARE GUYS THAT DON'T WORK OUT... but that's true at any position, and for God's sake this is the NFL where it is rare you draft a guy and he stays with your team for 10 years and doesn't leave on a huge contract after his rookie one.

    Maybe instead we need a Levi Jones? Or how about a Reinard Wilson? A Kieth Rivers? I know...John Copeland! Let's draft another John Copeland!
    More teams though are using multiple backs so the reliance of a single high pick RB like Elliot and AP are rarer and rarer. This team needs to stick to the BPA approach, it has worked well for the past few years. As i have gained more trust in the scouting staff I find it more interesting to try and figure out which players fit our system instead of just playing the overall best player game.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

  35. #35
    Anyway, back to the original question in the thread . . . what teams would trade for McCarron?

    NY Jets . . . I could see McCarron do well with Marshall
    Cleveland? I'm not afraid of him playing the Bengals twice a year but they may not go there.
    I doubt the Texans or Denver would deal.
    Someone mentioned Washington may let Cousins walk and try for AJ. It's possible.
    Chicago is in flux. They may need a stable QB for a couple of years to get their next project up and ready to get crushed.
    The 49ers are the only other team with serious questions at QB
    I think Bortles will stay in Jax and I don't think AJ would be dealt into a QB competition in Tampa, which isn't exactly enthralled with Winston.
    Only users lose drugs

  36. #36
    If I was thinking of trading for a guy like AJ or Garrapalo I would base the deal on performance foremost and not the assumption that the guy who has hardly played will work out well. Texans learned that with Osweiller. It is the toughest position to play, the toughest roster spot to fill (with a good one) and the toughest position to evaluate. I think Hue may be a bit gun shy dealing with Mikey on a QB again..lol
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    If I was thinking of trading for a guy like AJ or Garrapalo I would base the deal on performance foremost and not the assumption that the guy who has hardly played will work out well. Texans learned that with Osweiller. It is the toughest position to play, the toughest roster spot to fill (with a good one) and the toughest position to evaluate. I think Hue may be a bit gun shy dealing with Mikey on a QB again..lol
    Nothing could be more embarrassing nor as devastating to the Browns, than drafting another bust with the first pick in the draft. I look for them to trade down.

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaBengal View Post
    Nothing could be more embarrassing nor as devastating to the Browns, than drafting another bust with the first pick in the draft. I look for them to trade down.
    They are caught between the proverbial rock and hard place - much like the Bengals were when they had the chance to draft CP. You have to forget all past draft blunders and trust the scouting staff. If you can't do that then get scouts in you can trust.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    Anyway, back to the original question in the thread . . . what teams would trade for McCarron?

    NY Jets . . . I could see McCarron do well with Marshall
    Cleveland? I'm not afraid of him playing the Bengals twice a year but they may not go there.
    I doubt the Texans or Denver would deal.
    Someone mentioned Washington may let Cousins walk and try for AJ. It's possible.
    Chicago is in flux. They may need a stable QB for a couple of years to get their next project up and ready to get crushed.
    The 49ers are the only other team with serious questions at QB
    I think Bortles will stay in Jax and I don't think AJ would be dealt into a QB competition in Tampa, which isn't exactly enthralled with Winston.
    I was the once who suggested Washington. The only other real possibility is Cleveland, and I strongly doubt we'd trade him within the division.

    The Jets... drafted Hackenburg in the second round last year and "redshirted" him. I don't think they'd then trade for a QB just to compete with him. It would make far more sense to sign any of the veteran likely to be cut, like Jay Cutler or Tyrod Taylor, or Kaepernick, because if Hackenburg outcompetes them they can bench/cut them and haven't lost anything.

    Chicago makes sense because I think they'll cut Cutler for sure. Or SF. But do either of them have any meaningful connections to our organization? Meaning, it's going to take somebody who knows McCarron and his work ethic to give up realistic value for him. Not everybody in the NFL is going to view him like we do. Thus I'd go so far as to say if Washington re-signs Cousins, we can forget about a McCarron trade, at least before the draft.

    And let's remember teams have other options, like Tony Romo or Jimmy Garapolo. In fact there's a rumor that Cleveland will go after Garapolo.

  40. #40
    Romo would be better suited for a team that has some talent but has the QB as a large missing piece, NY may be considered that - not a bad team with a good QB. He is too old to do a rebuild IMO.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •