Thread: Andy Dalton-- Pro-Bowl performance was typical

Andy Dalton-- Pro-Bowl performance was typical

Andy Dalton performed in typical Andy Dalton fashion at the Pro-Bowl. 10-12, 100 yards, 1 TD and 1 Int. Actually, he completed 11 of 12. Unfortunately, one of those completions was to Richard Sherman. And, in typical 2016 form, Dalton got zero help from his OL. At least of all the Pro-Bowl QBs, he put up the most points-- 10.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Ralph: not that I even knew which Bengals were participants, or for that matter, who were the other team's participants...but:

With the nature of what this Harlem Globetotters annual farce of an alleged game is concerned...

Were you the only person who actually watched it?
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

I watched it b/c it gave me one last look at the men in black and orange for the next 6 months. It was actually a good game as far as Pro Bowls go. At least it wasn't a "Madden-esque" pinball game with scores occurring every drive. All in all, our Bengals acquitted themselves quite well. Geno should have been Defensive MVP. He has 1.5 sacks at 2 crucial points in the game, and Dalton should have been Offensive MVP. Don't know how Kelce won that award.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

I have never understood this myth that Andy has no arm strength. Sitting in the stadium in the lower level, I have seen his throws on sideline routes which were basically right at me. They arrived in a hurry--sometimes before the defender could even get his hands out reached. Have also seen long throws drop neatly into AJ's hands in full gallop.

But I would say that, even better than cannon-arm strength, is his accuracy. That has advanced quantomly over the years--to where I would put him there with anyone of the supposed "elite" QB's.

Still, glad to see the continued rise in his overall game.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

I pretty much agree but he also needs to be more consistent with his mechanics (and yes in bigger games). When he gets off his mechanics he is very wold with his throws. He has shown he can be very accurate for sure. If that improves, it will help the team immensely. NOT helping his mechanics will be poor OL play as he wont have the chance to consistently set up.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

and he's only going to continue to get better, he's just now hitting the prime of his career.....plus, I'm sure that with the way he played last year with no o-line, no running game and no Eifert or Green for big parts of the season really skyrocketed his confidence as well.

he might not be in the same class as Ben, Brady, Rodgers or Ryan but he's definitely closed the gap and will only get better with age for the next few years, IMO .
    potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
    QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
    OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

At the very least no one can say he has not made a 100% effort to maximize his abilities.

What exasperates me about Dalton is when he continually attempts to throw over defensive lines without success. Baltimore and Pitts puke immediately come to mind. Granted, it COULD be the play calling, but with check-downs, he should be able to avoid multiple pass blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    I have never understood this myth that Andy has no arm strength. Sitting in the stadium in the lower level, I have seen his throws on sideline routes which were basically right at me. They arrived in a hurry--sometimes before the defender could even get his hands out reached. Have also seen long throws drop neatly into AJ's hands in full gallop.

But I would say that, even better than cannon-arm strength, is his accuracy. That has advanced quantomly over the years--to where I would put him there with anyone of the supposed "elite" QB's.

That's because 90% of people do not understand what arm strength is. All NFL QBs can huck the rock 60 yards plus. That has nothing to wild arm strength. You hit it on the head, it's the zip on the ball when you throw it out to the sidelines.
    Nothing wrong with Andy's accuracy. The other thing I don't get is, the people that say he panics when under pressure. 2 years ago against KC was a great example of "not panicking". The play was breaking down, Andy was mic'ed up, and he is telling Gio to look for the ball. He flips it to him underneath for a good gain.

Quote Originally Posted by furnbuff View Post
    What exasperates me about Dalton is when he continually attempts to throw over defensive lines without success. Baltimore and Pitts puke immediately come to mind. Granted, it COULD be the play calling, but with check-downs, he should be able to avoid multiple pass blocks.
    some of that goes on the OL too. if the center of the pocket doesnt get pushed back theres a better chance of the pass not being blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker57 View Post
    some of that goes on the OL too. if the center of the pocket doesnt get pushed back theres a better chance of the pass not being blocked.
    and some of the credit has to go to the d-lineman that's getting his hands on the ball as well.....some guys just have a knack for getting their hands up at the perfect moment....Carlos Dunlap is a prime example of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post

Once you're labeled in the sports world, it's impossible to lose the tag. Dusty Baker, e.g., was known as the guy who let his Chicago starters stay in games too many innings, thereby ruining the arms and careers of Mark Prior and Kerry Wood and others...never mind that there wasn't a shred of evidence to back it up, he had been slimed with that particular rep, and when he came to Cincinnati hysteria was everywhere.

Andy Dalton, somewhere along the line, has been pegged as a noodle-armed QB, and nothing will change it...nothing...not even reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker57 View Post

I guess, what I was trying to say is, I don't see any other QB's repeatedly getting throws knocked down at the L.O.S. In typical Bengal fashion, we just seem to do things that other teams manage to avoid. Is it coaching? The O-Line? Andy? Bengal teams always seem to have traits, and they ain't always good ones.

I guess, what I was trying to say is, I don't see any other QB's repeatedly getting throws knocked down at the L.O.S.
    then apparently you haven't been paying much attention to any of the other QB's around the league.

hell all you have to do is watch our own d-lineman, they routinely knock down 2-3 passes every game....doesn't matter if they're playing big Ben, Aaron Rodgers or Cody Kessler, they always seem to manage to get a few of them knocked down.

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post

hell all you have to do is watch our own d-lineman, they routinely knock down 2-3 passes every game....doesn't matter if they're playing big Ben, Aaron Rodgers or Cody Kessler, they always seem to manage to get a few of them knocked down.
    But Peko is gone now so you will do it this year?

then apparently you haven't been paying much attention to any of the other QB's around the league.

Damn, I guess I am being specious here..... what I mean is REPEATEDLY being knocked down, as in, several plays consecutively. Neither Dalton nor the coaching staff seem to notice the fact that lil' Reds passes are being stopped mid-air, coming very close to being intercepted, in just one series of downs. I am not talking about a couple of passes during an entire game. I don't know. Maybe it's just me noticing something else the Bengals do that irritates the f_cK out of me. I equate this to when they play say, the Ratbirds, and their secondary stinks. What do the Bengals do? They try to run the entire game. It's like they're trying to prove a point that doesn't need to be made. If Andy's passes are getting blocked at the line, frickin' change up the play calling for Christ's sake.

Damn, I guess I am being specious here..... what I mean is REPEATEDLY being knocked down, as in, several plays consecutively. Neither Dalton nor the coaching staff seem to notice the fact that lil' Reds passes are being stopped mid-air, coming very close to being intercepted, in just one series of downs. I am not talking about a couple of passes during an entire game. I don't know. Maybe it's just me noticing something else the Bengals do that irritates the f_cK out of me. I equate this to when they play say, the Ratbirds, and their secondary stinks. What do the Bengals do? They try to run the entire game. It's like they're trying to prove a point that doesn't need to be made. If Andy's passes are getting blocked at the line, frickin' change up the play calling for Christ's sake.
    I seem to notice it is the quick screens more than anything else.

Thanks for havin' my back, S.C.

I seriously don't think Andy is getting anymore balls knocked down than the other QB's are.......it likely just seems that way because Andy is the one we focus on the most.

All I could find are stats from 2014
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta...akdown-passers
    Scroll down a few charts to get to this info

2014 passes batted rankings
    #20 Brady
    #21 Cousins
    #22 Wilson
    #23 Bridgewater
    #24 Dalton . . . total passes defensed ranked 13th(Translation: NOT a noodle arm)
    #25 Luck
    #26 Brees
    #27 Carr
    #28 Cutler

Quarterback Passes Batted Pct. Rk
    Shaun Hill 229 6 2.6% 30
    Alex Smith 464 16 3.4% 35
    Tom Brady 582 11 1.9% 20
    Russell Wilson 451 9 2.0% 22
    Joe Flacco 548 8 1.5% 14
    Kyle Orton 445 5 1.1% 8
    Geno Smith 366 11 3.0% 33
    Aaron Rodgers 520 6 1.2% 9
    Roethlisberger 599 10 1.7% 17
    Ryan Tannehill 589 19 3.2% 34
    Tony Romo 434 4 0.9% 5
    Bridgewater 397 8 2.0% 23
    Andy Dalton 481 10 2.1% 24
    Kaepernick 478 6 1.3% 11
    Carson Palmer 224 3 1.3% 12
    Austin Davis 282 3 1.1% 7
    Kirk Cousins 204 4 2.0% 21
    Robert Griffin 214 4 1.9% 19
    Quarterback Passes Batted Pct. Rk
    Philip Rivers 569 5 0.9% 4
    Eli Manning 600 6 1.0% 6
    Peyton Manning 595 10 1.7% 18
    Jay Cutler 561 14 2.5% 28
    Blake Bortles 474 18 3.8% 36
    Mark Sanchez 309 2 0.6% 3
    Matthew Stafford 599 9 1.5% 15
    Brian Hoyer 437 12 2.7% 31
    Drew Brees 653 15 2.3% 26
    Andrew Luck 616 13 2.1% 25
    Josh McCown 323 4 1.2% 10
    Mike Glennon 202 1 0.5% 2
    Ryan Fitzpatrick 311 8 2.6% 29
    Nick Foles 310 0 0.0% 1
    Derek Carr 593 14 2.4% 27
    Matt Ryan 623 9 1.4% 13
    Cam Newton 446 7 1.6% 16
    Drew Stanton 240 7 2.9% 32
    Only users lose drugs

I seriously don't think Andy is getting anymore balls knocked down than the other QB's are.......it likely just seems that way because Andy is the one we focus on the most.
    I do. We focus on Andy that is true but we also watch the other team we play. And most games Andy is knock more. I don't blame Andy but the play design. There is no hesitation on the screen pass. It is hike, drop one step and pass the ball. Let the play develop and pass could be delivered behind the end rusher instead of right in his face.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cat View Post
    I do. We focus on Andy that is true but we also watch the other team we play. And most games Andy is knock more. I don't blame Andy but the play design. There is no hesitation on the screen pass. It is hike, drop one step and pass the ball. Let the play develop and pass could be delivered behind the end rusher instead of right in his face.
    S.C.,

You seem to be the only one who's getting my drift here. I am not speaking about passes being knocked down over the course of the entire game, but during specific series', where Dalton gets three, four, five passes batted down, and nearly intercepted. During those offensive efforts, the Bengals seem to be completely oblivious, daring the defenses to "do what they will". I don't know about you, but if my neighbor's pit-bull almost bites me every time I walk close to his fence, I ain't walkin' near that fence anymore. I appreciate Pre-Hung's hard work in tracking down those stats, but when it comes to my post, it ain't relevant.

I am not speaking about passes being knocked down over the course of the entire game, but during specific series', where Dalton gets three, four, five passes batted down, and nearly intercepted.
    I seriously have no idea what you are talking about. Examples, please, two or three if possible. Old saying, once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, third time is a problem. I'm not denying that it happened, I just don't ever recall anything as bad as you described.
    Only users lose drugs

Sorry, Pre-Hung, I can't give you any specific games, but I seem to remember it being maybe a Ratbird game last season. The first one. Could be wrong, though. I just know that I've seen it happen in several games, and like I mentioned, it apparently, has become another one of those Bengal traits that I absolutely hate. In my mind, it always comes down to coaching in some respect or another. Whether it's play calling, O-line failure, or simply Andy making the wrong check down, it's something that needs to get fixed, but there's the rub. Bengal coaching never exceeds expectations, they barely make their own job descriptions.

I think S.C. remembers seeing this happen a time or two, but I'm assuming that from his understanding of my posts. I'll go out on a limb here, and guess that with Dalton being the 4th most sacked Q.B., and the O-line being constantly pushed back into the pocket, that what I'm talking about happened several times last year, at least.

Generally, and take this for what it is worth, my old line coach used to yell at us and tell us to "punch" the defensive lineman in the gut to keep their hands down, especially on quick hitting short pass plays, to keep them from deflecting those passes. So it could be partially the offensive lines fault and not Dalton's.