Thread: Bengals get jobbed (relatively) on comp picks

Bengals get jobbed (relatively) on comp picks

Just my first thought after seeing the Bengals get the 1st comp pick in rounds 4,5, and 7 and 2nd pick in round 6. How much difference to get the last comp pick in rounds 3-6? I'm not accusing anybody, but seriously...?

I saw the numbers and it was basically set on the size of the contract for last year. It is supposed to be a combination of contract size and performance, but that didn't happen. If it did go by that, Reggie Nelson would have been more than a 6th. I mean the guy led his team in interceptions, was third in tackles, and made the Pro Bowl, but because his contract was only $4 million they got a 6th. He should have been a 5th at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    He should have been a 5th at worst.
    He should have been a Bengal. #### Shawn Williams.

Edited to add
    PITTSBURGH

Lost: Kelvin Beachum; Antwon Blake; Will Johnson; Steve McLendon; Sean Spence

Gained: Ladarius Green; Ryan Harris

3rd round, #105 four picks in the first 105

CINCINNATI

Lost: Marvin Jones; Emmanuel Lamur; Reggie Nelson; Mohamed Sanu; Andre Smith

4th round #138
    5th round #178
    6th round #219
    7th round #253

Great for trades which they are allowed to do now but who the hell did the Steelers lose that's worth a third rounder?
    Last edited by Pre_hungover; 02-25-2017 at 12:41 AM.
    Only users lose drugs

I read on NFL Pravda.com that the loss of 8 was worth more than the gain of 4, so it got them the third. They lost chumps, but those chumps made more cash than the gain of the 4 chumps so...

The NFL is fake news.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

The sad thing is the Bengals won't do anything with those picks. They'll stand pat and just draft who drops to them instead of being creative to go and get a player they could use.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphmtsu View Post
    The sad thing is the Bengals won't do anything with those picks. They'll stand pat and just draft who drops to them instead of being creative to go and get a player they could use.
    Unfortunately you can't package late 4th, 5th and 7th rd picks and move up to anything worthwhile. It just doesn't work that way. For example, look at this chart:

http://drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Add up the points for a late 4th, 5th and 2 7th rd picks and you get a mid 4th rd pick. The points add up to about 50. Seriously. That's it.

You can though, use those picks top to even move up a few spots in mid rounds. I would rather see them do that then just sick back. They would move up if there was a clearly high rated player available that may not be several picks away. They did it with Bodine (can argue the result but the idea was valid) and I would like to see them do more of it as Ralph mentions. We need more targeted drafted players and less pure number of drafted players. We have enough trouble coaching (and HC reluctance) the young guys to get into games as it is now. Quality over Quantity at this stage.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

this draft is so deep in talent in the middle rounds though, there's really no good reason to give up picks to move up....all the guys that get drafted in those rounds are going to have almost identical grades.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    this draft is so deep in talent in the middle rounds though, there's really no good reason to give up picks to move up....all the guys that get drafted in those rounds are going to have almost identical grades.
    No doubt but I think there are times when a guy stand out on a team's board as a loner, top guy left well above others and in those cases you may want to move up to grab him.

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    There are only so many roster spots, and Marvin has already shown a fear of the number of picks the Bengals have. We know Marvin, and he doesn't like playing rookies, so having 11 picks means that some of those picks are probably not going to even make the team, so why not trade a few of them to move up and get players you want and could fill holes?

maybe they will, who knows?
    I just don't know how necessary it really is in this particular draft.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

The Bengals almost always keep all of their draft picks. It is Mike's way of keeping personnel costs low. Damn shame Mike doesn't insist more on the rookies playing.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphmtsu View Post
    The Bengals almost always keep all of their draft picks. It is Mike's way of keeping personnel costs low. Damn shame Mike doesn't insist more on the rookies playing.
    Not always, they traded up to get Bodine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    There are only so many roster spots, and Marvin has already shown a fear of the number of picks the Bengals have. We know Marvin, and he doesn't like playing rookies, so having 11 picks means that some of those picks are probably not going to even make the team, so why not trade a few of them to move up and get players you want and could fill holes?
    I don't pretend to know the quality of the draft. If Spic is correct and there is very little difference in the middle rounds, then, trading up is a crap shoot. Why not stand pat and let training camp sort out the best players. The only reason I see for trading up is for a position of need.

Quote Originally Posted by NCStripes View Post
    I don't pretend to know the quality of the draft. If Spic is correct and there is very little difference in the middle rounds, then, trading up is a crap shoot. Why not stand pat and let training camp sort out the best players. The only reason I see for trading up is for a position of need.
    No offense to Spicoli but you trade up if there is a player on your board that is clearly well graded above any other and you think he will not be there when you pick. So if the 3rd round is starting and you have a player you gave a high second round grade to and no others left with a second round grade by all means go get him. That is where trusting the board and the valuations comes into play. It does not matter if a large number of draftniks 'think' there is no difference between middle round guys. The only thing that matters is our own board. We have been successful at sitting back and letting the board fall as it may but since our roster is fairly solid I would rather see us be more aggressive and try and get more impact players than roster spot players.AND if it is also a need spot even more reason to make a move.

This is how great teams help themselves in the draft and how they 'manage' a roster. Mikey does not manage a roster in any way one could call successful or bright.