Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: what's up Bengals peeps!? Draft season has arrived...

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post

Yes, Hill gets a 'ringing endorsement based on ????. Burkhead is clearly the better player so the ringing endorsement is simply the fact he has a year left on his cheap contract and Rex did not. Comical, let the better player go and actually write in the article that he was the better player. You can't make this shit up! Next year the will not re-sign Hill but draft another RB - groundhog day..lol
    I hear ya but I just can't get too worked up over the RB position....unless you get a Zeke Elliott or someone of that ilk they're all pretty much a dime a dozen IMO.

they seriously could start over every year at that spot for all I care.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    I'm not trying to cover up anything and I'm not drinking anything either lol, I know exactly what MB is and I know exactly how he operates...it's been exactly the same for the last 25 years and all of the bellyaching and crying and whining that all of you guys have done during that time hasn't made the slightest bit of difference.

sorry but I refuse to be that way, I refuse to be miserable like that.....I can't make MB drop dead, I can't make him fire Marv, I can't turn Andy Dalton into Tom Brady and I can't talk guys into or out of signing contracts here or elsewhere...therefore I REFUSE to worry about it.

I've learned to just take it one season at a time with this team starting each year with the draft...I never look ahead and I never look back, I just focus on what's right in front of me.....I don't worry about guys that aren't here, I only want to see the guys that are here and will be here do well.

and I'll root for 'em like hell as long as they're here.
    Good positive attitude

You are a great sage, Spic.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

I hear ya but I just can't get too worked up over the RB position....unless you get a Zeke Elliott or someone of that ilk they're all pretty much a dime a dozen IMO.

they seriously could start over every year at that spot for all I care.
    I agree but Hill was the suck last year and has one year left. The right move would have been to sign Burkhead and make Hill actually work for a new deal. Or cut him or trade him. RB's are a dime a dozen but watch us now sign Peerman which makes even less sense. This team really does just go the 'comfortable' route every time.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

I'm not trying to cover up anything and I'm not drinking anything either lol, I know exactly what MB is and I know exactly how he operates...it's been exactly the same for the last 25 years and all of the bellyaching and crying and whining that all of you guys have done during that time hasn't made the slightest bit of difference.

sorry but I refuse to be that way, I refuse to be miserable like that.....I can't make MB drop dead, I can't make him fire Marv, I can't turn Andy Dalton into Tom Brady and I can't talk guys into or out of signing contracts here or elsewhere...therefore I REFUSE to worry about it.

I've learned to just take it one season at a time with this team starting each year with the draft...I never look ahead and I never look back, I just focus on what's right in front of me.....I don't worry about guys that aren't here, I only want to see the guys that are here and will be here do well.

Fair attitude for sure but if we look at a new season starting with free agency, this team is well behind last years and last years sucked. What is 'in front of us' in fact is a rebuild of sorts. And with the comments from Dunlap and even hearing Guenther wanted out - this is very telling. I am more than happy to take a year by year approach but if i look at this year coming up I can see little to be excited about. We all root for the team because it is 'bad form' to ditch a team you follow but that does not mean we can just be blindly optimistic. This team for this season is looking very weak in my opinion especially with a lame duck clapping clown as coach. Our division is too tough to take backward steps.

Outside of this message board that's more or less how I look at it too. But an internet message board full of strangers I've never met fills a specific function for me. Mostly it's just to talk football with Bengals fans, as I don't live in Cincinnati.

But sometimes it's to vent. And times like this, it's to see if there are other human beings out there that see the big ice berg straight ahead that I do. Because MB and company sure don't seem to see it. Carlos Dunlap sees it. We see it. Every once in a while you catch a comment here or there from an assistant coach that implies they see it. But ML, MB, coach Alexander, none of them seem to see it.

It's like that old line, if you made a movie of the Bengals organization it would be Groundhog Day and Titanic spliced together. Maybe I just want somebody to say, "yes Bengali, there's an iceberg straight ahead, and we're going to hit it, because the ship captain is an idiot. We're bracing ourselves too." lol

Fair attitude for sure but if we look at a new season starting with free agency, this team is well behind last years and last years sucked. What is 'in front of us' in fact is a rebuild of sorts. And with the comments from Dunlap and even hearing Guenther wanted out - this is very telling. I am more than happy to take a year by year approach but if i look at this year coming up I can see little to be excited about. We all root for the team because it is 'bad form' to ditch a team you follow but that does not mean we can just be blindly optimistic. This team for this season is looking very weak in my opinion especially with a lame duck clapping clown as coach. Our division is too tough to take backward steps.
    I suppose my question to you would be: why do you look for the Russians in every nook and cranny of every article? Well besides because you want to do so.

I don't find Russian foreign ministers in anything Dunlap said, other than he said he wasn't "seeing the plan" then quickly adding "that's not my role to either". Wisely stated--as players anywhere are not in the board rooms of upper management making personnel decisions.

And I sure as hell do not see Vladamir Putin in that wildly conjectured statement of "Guenther wanting out"...unless Jay Gruden is your new Julian Assange with his very sideways comments as to getting a new DC--which he now has.

But the commies are everywhere, so of course keep looking.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    I suppose my question to you would be: why do you look for the Russians in every nook and cranny of every article? Well besides because you want to do so.

I don't find Russian foreign ministers in anything Dunlap said, other than he said he wasn't "seeing the plan" then quickly adding "that's not my role to either". Wisely stated--as players anywhere are not in the board rooms of upper management making personnel decisions.

And I sure as hell do not see Vladamir Putin in that wildly conjectured statement of "Guenther wanting out"...unless Jay Gruden is your new Julian Assange with his very sideways comments as to getting a new DC--which he now has.

The issue that comes from the Dunlap statement is that it reveals doubt. We saw last year, especially at the beginning of the year (no doubt due to the nasty way they lost the playoff game) what happens when players are not committed and focused at a 100% level. It was clear last year that whatever message ML had for them, they were not committed to it. So when player at this level get discouraged or question the 'plan' it will inevitably lead to lackluster play. That is the issue at hand. ML should have been fired years ago if the owner TRULY cared about winning - the message would have been we need to make a chance to get to the next level - it is a risk because the wrong choice makes you go backwards but we cannot stand still. Now, over the last two years we have seen a lot of high quality players leave and NOT be replaced WITH the team having salary cap available to do so. These players are well aware of that so they may very well believe this is some kind of rebuild or at the very least same old same old. Combine that with the head coach being in another last year of his contract and it does not bode well. In that environment, I propose it is virtually impossible to highly motivate a squad of 53 guys. I worked for a Company where one of the owners was a Mike Brown clone and i can tell you it is very demoralizing for the staff. That same company, once bought out with new management flourished.

Old Mikey had the chance to move this team to the next level once ML took it as far as he could. He chose not to and last year we started to see the effects. I am not looking for coded messages and the like but clearly this team has a weaker roster than last year, the same weak head coach and a strong possibility of a disengaged roster. I fail to see much in the way of positives at this stage of the year. I will stand corrected if I am off base and hope I am.

Actually they are, the DoJ just indicted 4 people, 2 of which is Russian Service agents of being responsible for the Yahoo hack.
    Last edited by Lewdog; 03-16-2017 at 01:32 AM.

Let me add something, how would you feel if you were basically stuck in a situation where you had to depend on others to give you the help you need to succeed, and all you keep seeing is your help leaving and nothing to replace it with? Moral goes down, production goes down... and since these guys are under contracts that a great deal of it is dependent on production... then it hits them in the wallet, not only under their current contract, but when they go to get their next one. How much difference in money do you think a DE that gets 15 sacks gets when he is being blocked by a single guy because the rest of the D-line are good players that warrant attention, verses a DE that gets 5 sacks because he is being double teamed all the time because the rest of the guys next to him are scrubs? We are talking MILLIONS of dollars. If you were in his position you'd be bewildered as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Let me add something, how would you feel if you were basically stuck in a situation where you had to depend on others to give you the help you need to succeed, and all you keep seeing is your help leaving and nothing to replace it with? Moral goes down, production goes down... and since these guys are under contracts that a great deal of it is dependent on production... then it hits them in the wallet, not only under their current contract, but when they go to get their next one. How much difference in money do you think a DE that gets 15 sacks gets when he is being blocked by a single guy because the rest of the D-line are good players that warrant attention, verses a DE that gets 5 sacks because he is being double teamed all the time because the rest of the guys next to him are scrubs? We are talking MILLIONS of dollars. If you were in his position you'd be bewildered as well.
    Quiet true and generally speaking, regardless of the level of competence of any of the NFL owners, there is a general understanding that most of them want to win. They most often meddle too much to do so, in Mikey's case he does too little. Since the new CBA he has saved and rolled over millions each year - this is pure profit that could have been used to get better players in key spots. I fully expect this team to be under performing most of the year. it is human nature.

NFL.com's new 4 round mock draft has the Bengals taking Two DE's in the first two rounds with Alabama's Jonathon Allen in the first and a guy from Missouri in the second. They have them taking Joe Mixon in the 4th.

I have no issue with Jonathon Allen(DT in a 4-3) in the first unless I the find out he needs surgery(s) and won't be in training camp and start the season. As long as I've followed the NFL the formula for picks is that a 2nd round this year is worth a 1st round next year and so forth down the line. Why does any team pick a player that can't play their rookie year due to injury in the 1st round?

Quote Originally Posted by puddycat View Post
    I have no issue with Jonathon Allen(DT in a 4-3) in the first unless I the find out he needs surgery(s) and won't be in training camp and start the season. As long as I've followed the NFL the formula for picks is that a 2nd round this year is worth a 1st round next year and so forth down the line. Why does any team pick a player that can't play their rookie year due to injury in the 1st round?
    Personally I'm not taking a Defensive lineman with shoulder problems in the first round. The Bengals only have Dalton and Green in their prime for so many years... they need players that can play NOW and not next year...

there's nothing out there that would indicate that Allen will have to miss any time due to injury....if it turns out for some reason that he does have to miss significant time though he'll never get picked in the top 10 anyway, so it's not something we need to worry about.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Actually they are, the DoJ just indicted 4 people, 2 of which is Russian Sercie agents of being responsible for the Yahoo hack.
    I see allegory has not made the expected impact here.

I see allegory has not made the expected impact here.

Hey, you are the one that brought the Ruskies into this! Please tell me you aren't a Trumpbot... ok enough Politics!

You often have a way too literal way of thinking there, Lew. But I am sure you got the nuance of it all.

Respectfully,
    Jay Carney

(OK...you are right, no more outside of football stuff)

I'm definitely not a big fan of Williams....that being said though, I can't see any way possible he slides all the way down to 30.
    Mike Williams clocks unofficial 40 in 4.5 range at pro day

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...w-articleshare

Just saying . . .

Quote Originally Posted by #1 italian fan View Post
    Mike Williams clocks unofficial 40 in 4.5 range at pro day

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...w-articleshare

Just saying . . .
    he ran a 4.58 and a 4.56, IMO he's Anquan Boldin 2.0....not that Boldin wasn't a good player, you just don't take that guy #9 overall, IMO.

I just don't see him getting much separation from NFL corners and you can only jump up and over them so many times.

#1 italian...OJ Howard is a much better overall player...if you really want a playmaker on offense to go with AJ and Eifert, Howard is the guy Bengal fans should really be focusing on....6'6 250lb legit deep threats don't come around too often.

Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt

Talked to scout at Clemson pro day, had 2 comments: >> Watson had pretty good day >> Mike Williams didn't run as fast as what most think

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks

According to a scout at Clemson today-- Mike Williams ran 4.58 & 4.56

Charles Robinson @CharlesRobinson

#Clemson WR Mike Williams legitimately ran pro day 40 in 4.56-4.59 range. Better than expected. Likely cements him as top WR on most boards.

Jared Smola‏#@SmolaDS#

Mike Williams gets Dez Bryant and Mike Evans comps. But also this: "Thing that worries me, I don’t see him separating from people.”

Except if we drafted OJ, we would then NOT re-sign Eifert because 'you can't have two expensive tight ends' and then we are still the hamster on the wheel. OJ might be the BPA at that point but if he was i would suggest trading down.

#1 italian...OJ Howard is a much better overall player...if you really want a playmaker on offense to go with AJ and Eifert, Howard is the guy Bengal fans should really be focusing on....6'6 250lb legit deep threats don't come around too often.
    and i like OJ Howard very very much because he can not only receive but also block and help our green OT ... but if he and thomas are not there at #9, we have to choose between Reddick, Williams and maybe davis (i don't like barnett)

I C DeadPeople, eifert is too injury prone, so i think we have to salute him next year

i don't like barnett
    me neither

Except if we drafted OJ, we would then NOT re-sign Eifert because 'you can't have two expensive tight ends' and then we are still the hamster on the wheel. OJ might be the BPA at that point but if he was i would suggest trading down.
    My sentiment exactly.

It's one thing to call a guy like that "insurance" in case Eifert leaves, but in reality it's not insurance, it becomes what forces him out the door. As we saw this year... if we had never drafted Ogbuehi, don't you think Whit would still be here?

he ran a 4.58 and a 4.56, IMO he's Anquan Boldin 2.0....not that Boldin wasn't a good player, you just don't take that guy #9 overall, IMO.

I just don't see him getting much separation from NFL corners and you can only jump up and over them so many times.
    Gil Brandt has him at 4.51 and 4.53. Granted, sometimes pro day times are adjusted because they're on "fast" tracks, etc. But still. I'm not that interested in taking any WR in the first round this year, but if we did I would be happy with Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    My sentiment exactly.

It's one thing to call a guy like that "insurance" in case Eifert leaves, but in reality it's not insurance, it becomes what forces him out the door. As we saw this year... if we had never drafted Ogbuehi, don't you think Whit would still be here?
    What is the difference between drafting a WR and a TE that could spread the offense? They both cost the same, actually very little for 5 years. The only reason to let Eifert walk is if they think he is too injury prone.
    I don't see why we couldn't run a two tight end set. Either tight end could move to the slot or they could stay in a tight formation.

Why would anyone let Eifert walk? Gronk is injury prone...

We are already developing 2 other TE's - we impact players on D or the OL. Not to mention, I have little faith that Zampese can develop a elite offense plan. He is a ML puppet who will want to grind it out (but without an effective OL).

Why would anyone let Eifert walk?
    Because silly, you can get a comp pick for him in the following years draft!!

YESSS !!!

9.BENGALS: TE O.J. Howard, Alabama; Geoff Hobson, Bengals.com _ All things being equal, they'd probably like to trade back if they're faced with this scenario. But that is going to be a long line so odds are they'll be here.

On the surface, Howard looks like a non-Bengals pick. Too high for a tight end, they’ve already got a Pro Bowler in Tyler Eifert, and Howard’s numbers aren’t all that impressive for a Cincinnati team that loves college product1ion.

But go below the surface and it makes sense. At No. 9, they are looking for someone that can make an immediate impact and as safe as pick as possible and Howard qualifies on both counts.

The pundits are saying as you go into the later rounds this is as deep a draft as you’ll find. But what has emerged over the last month is that after Garrett, the top of the draft is as jumbled as it has been in years.

There a lot of fine prospects, but not a lot of slam dunks. For instance, there are health concerns about Fournette, size and durability questions about Alabama linebacker Reuben Foster, and Hooker only did it for one year.

If Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green came out this year, he’d be the No. 1 pick. As it is, Clemson wide receiver Mike Williams is rated 15th and Western Michigan wide receiver Corey Davis is 12th on the ESPN big board.

The Bengals really need an edge rusher or two, right? While Michigan’s 6-5, 272-pound Taco Charlton has the dimensions to fit the Bengals defense and Tennessee’s Derek Barnett has the college production, Barnett has tumbled down the big board to No. 22 and Charlton is at No. 17.

And it all depends on whose board. One NFL.com list of the top 50 prospects has Davis No. 10, Williams No. 11, Barnett No. 13, and Charlton No. 23.

What makes things easier for the Bengals is the depth. There are going to be defensive ends available in rounds two through four and maybe even a defensive tackle. But for all we know, they got them ranked in the top ten. We don’t know.

The highest player on the ESPN big boards at this point with the Bengals on the mythical clock at No. 9 is LSU safety Jamal Adams, a wonderful player. He may be a great safety. But if he’s not and is just good, how much does that help you?
    What we do know is that many of these guys are going to be fine pros and you’re going to be happy to get them. But the 6-6, 250-pound Howard is just about the safest pick in this range of the draft. He’s considered to be NFL ready, a potential Pro Bowler who can play all three downs. He’s big, has hands that pluck, and runs a 4.5-second 40-yard dash that is matchup hell in the slot.

There is talk about a running mate for Green at wide receiver. What about one for Eifert? Remember how Patriots tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Martellus Bennett made life miserable for the Bengals last season? NFLDraftScout.com compares Howard to Jimmy Graham. You’d pay to see Eifert and Graham in the same offense, wouldn’t you?

What guy at No. 9 can come in and change this team for the better more than Howard? And forget about blocking. Tight ends simply don’t block in college and barely in the pros.

It would also add some insurance for Eifert, who has missed 23 games in the last three years.
    Howard on the ESPN big board?

No. 8.

The one list on NFL.com?

No. 7.

So if that’s where the Bengals rank Howard, they’ll stay true to their board as well as holding firm on getting a difference-maker in the top ten. And they’ll have to solve pass rush later,

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...3-2ad3a5204bdf

YESSS !!!

9.BENGALS: TE O.J. Howard, Alabama; Geoff Hobson, Bengals.com _ All things being equal, they'd probably like to trade back if they're faced with this scenario. But that is going to be a long line so odds are they'll be here.

On the surface, Howard looks like a non-Bengals pick. Too high for a tight end, they’ve already got a Pro Bowler in Tyler Eifert, and Howard’s numbers aren’t all that impressive for a Cincinnati team that loves college product1ion.

But go below the surface and it makes sense. At No. 9, they are looking for someone that can make an immediate impact and as safe as pick as possible and Howard qualifies on both counts.

The pundits are saying as you go into the later rounds this is as deep a draft as you’ll find. But what has emerged over the last month is that after Garrett, the top of the draft is as jumbled as it has been in years.

There a lot of fine prospects, but not a lot of slam dunks. For instance, there are health concerns about Fournette, size and durability questions about Alabama linebacker Reuben Foster, and Hooker only did it for one year.

If Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green came out this year, he’d be the No. 1 pick. As it is, Clemson wide receiver Mike Williams is rated 15th and Western Michigan wide receiver Corey Davis is 12th on the ESPN big board.

The Bengals really need an edge rusher or two, right? While Michigan’s 6-5, 272-pound Taco Charlton has the dimensions to fit the Bengals defense and Tennessee’s Derek Barnett has the college production, Barnett has tumbled down the big board to No. 22 and Charlton is at No. 17.

And it all depends on whose board. One NFL.com list of the top 50 prospects has Davis No. 10, Williams No. 11, Barnett No. 13, and Charlton No. 23.

What makes things easier for the Bengals is the depth. There are going to be defensive ends available in rounds two through four and maybe even a defensive tackle. But for all we know, they got them ranked in the top ten. We don’t know.

The highest player on the ESPN big boards at this point with the Bengals on the mythical clock at No. 9 is LSU safety Jamal Adams, a wonderful player. He may be a great safety. But if he’s not and is just good, how much does that help you?
    What we do know is that many of these guys are going to be fine pros and you’re going to be happy to get them. But the 6-6, 250-pound Howard is just about the safest pick in this range of the draft. He’s considered to be NFL ready, a potential Pro Bowler who can play all three downs. He’s big, has hands that pluck, and runs a 4.5-second 40-yard dash that is matchup hell in the slot.

There is talk about a running mate for Green at wide receiver. What about one for Eifert? Remember how Patriots tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Martellus Bennett made life miserable for the Bengals last season? NFLDraftScout.com compares Howard to Jimmy Graham. You’d pay to see Eifert and Graham in the same offense, wouldn’t you?

What guy at No. 9 can come in and change this team for the better more than Howard? And forget about blocking. Tight ends simply don’t block in college and barely in the pros.

It would also add some insurance for Eifert, who has missed 23 games in the last three years.
    Howard on the ESPN big board?

No. 8.

The one list on NFL.com?

No. 7.

So if that’s where the Bengals rank Howard, they’ll stay true to their board as well as holding firm on getting a difference-maker in the top ten. And they’ll have to solve pass rush later,

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...3-2ad3a5204bdf
    Spicoli got it correct.......you draft the best player at your spot. I think the Bengals realized that when they tried to get cute and we got Chris Perry instead of Steven Jackson.

Howard, Green, Eifert, Boyd, and LaFell......sounds like a match-up nightmare for teams if Howard is actually "Plug and Play".

best way to defend that is rush 5 thru the revolving door OL.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker57 View Post
    best way to defend that is rush 5 thru the revolving door OL.
    our QB is pretty damn good about getting the ball out fast and on time though....that's the one saving grace.

Quote Originally Posted by BengalCP9 View Post
    Spicoli got it correct.......you draft the best player at your spot. I think the Bengals realized that when they tried to get cute and we got Chris Perry instead of Steven Jackson.
    Spicoli, I can swear to you that I have absolutely not spoken with BengalCP9

Howard, Green, Eifert, Boyd, and LaFell......sounds like a match-up nightmare for teams if Howard is actually "Plug and Play".
    But I can remember (seriously) that I preferred Bradley Roby (4,39) instead of Darqueze Dennard (4,51) and Kelechi Oseleme over Kevin Zeitler (because better overall measurables) ...

This year AJ Howard has much better measurables than Mike Williams so I'm with you 2 guys . . . and Mixon/Kamara in the second round too?
    Last edited by #1 italian fan; 03-18-2017 at 05:23 AM.

Just for the record:

we lost Whit ad Zeitler but Minnesota lost Smth, Kalil and Peterson. Then Zim and Marv share same ... "plan"?

And speaking of getting cute......... I just finished reading the mocks on CBS Sports.com, and four of their prognosticators have us taking Corey Davis, WR, out of Western Michigan. One has us taking Hasaan Reddick, and one gives us Foster. None others mentioned. Your thoughts, everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by NCStripes View Post
    What is the difference between drafting a WR and a TE that could spread the offense? They both cost the same, actually very little for 5 years. The only reason to let Eifert walk is if they think he is too injury prone.
    I don't see why we couldn't run a two tight end set. Either tight end could move to the slot or they could stay in a tight formation.
    That's a fine plan if that's what we actually do. I'm not saying we should let Eifert walk, I'm saying you know that next year the front office will rationalize that it's better to get that 2019 comp pick than have two tight ends. Then it's the hamster wheel again. Drafting a WR means we let LaFell walk in two years, which is absolutely fine.

I'm just talking about what I hope to see happen, not what I would do personally.

Quote Originally Posted by furnbuff View Post
    And speaking of getting cute......... I just finished reading the mocks on CBS Sports.com, and four of their prognosticators have us taking Corey Davis, WR, out of Western Michigan. One has us taking Hasaan Reddick, and one gives us Foster. None others mentioned. Your thoughts, everyone?
    I've gotta believe that Cory Davis refusing to work out for teams is gonna knock him out of the top 20 and maybe even further.....so that means it's either Mike Williams or John Ross if we're looking at WR's.

if it comes down to Foster and Reddick, you'd have to think the big school producer gets the edge....not saying that's right or wrong, that's just usually their m.o...

If for some reason Leonard Fournette is still sitting there when we get on the clock, that's the pick, you can bank on it....doubt he gets past both Jax and Carolina however.