Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: what's up Bengals peeps!? Draft season has arrived...

here's what sucks for us now...it looks like Trubisky and Fournette are gonna be the only offensive players drafted in the first 8 picks.

that means at best we'll be looking at drafting the 7th best defensive prospect unless we take OJ Howard or reach for a WR or OT.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    In a heart beat. The way I look at it, you would be getting a stud RB for the next 5 years under contract for cheaper than what a mid-tier free agent RB would be. It would also make it easier to resign a guy like Whitworth or Zeitler because you would be saving money for the next 5 years. It would mean however, that the Bengals need to cut out this non-sense of using Hewitt as an HB and go out and get a REAL FB to block for him on occasions. And no, Peko doesn't count as an occasional FB.
    actually Hewitt does a very good job blocking when the OL dont miss their blocks at the point of attack and he's going one on a DL.

In a heart beat. The way I look at it, you would be getting a stud RB for the next 5 years under contract for cheaper than what a mid-tier free agent RB would be. It would also make it easier to resign a guy like Whitworth or Zeitler because you would be saving money for the next 5 years. It would mean however, that the Bengals need to cut out this non-sense of using Hewitt as an HB and go out and get a REAL FB to block for him on occasions. And no, Peko doesn't count as an occasional FB.
    Count me out of Fournette at #9. I don't think he produced when LSU played against the better defenses. He almost disappears. He runs to upright and will get crunched in the NFL. We're also talking about running behind our O-line..... I read some of the pro's and con's on him and one of his weakness was vision. Sounds like Hill's problems also.
    Right now I think Reddick is our pick. I'm holding on to a slimmer of hope that this whole Foster fiasco was very overblown. Still think he is the best LBer coming out. I want a LBer that hits the snot out of people.

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    here's what sucks for us now...it looks like Trubisky and Fournette are gonna be the only offensive players drafted in the first 8 picks.

that means at best we'll be looking at drafting the 7th best defensive prospect unless we take OJ Howard or reach for a WR or OT.
    Spicoli, I know you like Reddick also but do you think #9 is to high for him? My only concern about him and is the difference between him and Foster, is that I don't think I have ever seen him lay the wood to anyone. It's a small thing but we do play Pitt and Baltimore twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwedge View Post
    Spicoli, I know you like Reddick also but do you think #9 is to high for him? My only concern about him and is the difference between him and Foster, is that I don't think I have ever seen him lay the wood to anyone. It's a small thing but we do play Pitt and Baltimore twice a year.
    I don't think Reddick is a reach at all simply because he checks all the boxes.

I get that people might be apprehensive because he could be considered a "late riser" but it's not because of the typical reasons a guy might shoot up the draft boards late such as being a "workout warrior" or something like that....he just didn't really have a position for scouts to focus on much until he got to the Sr Bowl because he was so much better than everyone else on that Temple team they just put him in the spot that they thought he could wreak the most havoc for them which was as a 3-4 DE/OLB....all he did then was rack up 10 sacks and 24 tackles for loss....keep in mind he started off there playing DB and then they figured out what a freak he was.....when he got to the Sr Bowl they moved him to MLB and he was the best player on the field and showed that he was excellent in coverage and could get sideline to sideline with the best of them.....then he followed that up by testing off the charts at the combine and supposedly acing all of his interviews......I compare him very much to guys like Khalil Mack and Brian Urlacher who also played at small schools and were so much better than everybody else on the team coaches just put them in the spots that they thought they could do the most damage, Urlacher at S and LB and Mack at DL and LB.....I really believe Reddick has that type of potential.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

I get that people might be apprehensive because he could be considered a "late riser" but it's not because of the typical reasons a guy might shoot up the draft boards late such as being a "workout warrior" or something like that....he just didn't really have a position for scouts to focus on much until he got to the Sr Bowl because he was so much better than everyone else on that Temple team they just put him in the spot that they thought he could wreak the most havoc for them which was as a 3-4 DE/OLB....all he did then was rack up 10 sacks and 24 tackles for loss....keep in mind he started off there playing DB and then they figured out what a freak he was.....when he got to the Sr Bowl they moved him to MLB and he was the best player on the field and showed that he was excellent in coverage and could get sideline to sideline with the best of them.....then he followed that up by testing off the charts at the combine and supposedly acing all of his interviews......I compare him very much to guys like Khalil Mack and Brian Urlacher who also played at small schools and were so much better than everybody else on the team coaches just put them in the spots that they thought they could do the most damage, Urlacher at S and LB and Mack at DL and LB.....I really believe Reddick has that type of potential.
    I saw his workout last weekend and was impressed. I have seen him everywhere in a lot of mock drafts but I don't think I have seen him in the top 10 in any of them. I would take him in rd1 and a edge rusher in rd2. But I'm just a fan, what do I know... If we could plug him in the middle and he plays like Urlacher, that would tremendous and huuuuuge!!

Quote Originally Posted by sandwedge View Post
    I saw his workout last weekend and was impressed. I have seen him everywhere in a lot of mock drafts but I don't think I have seen him in the top 10 in any of them.
    give it a week or two, he'll start creeping up the boards as all of the combine information gets sorted out and people go back and really watch his tape.

I agree with your point about "late risers" a hundred percent. They're not all guys who were unproductive. In fact "rising" implies that they were low at one point, and all we know is that he was low on the draft boards of the draft media. Actual NFL board are being assembled as we speak. The media caught on to him, but that's totally different than how NFL teams view him.

With that said, I don't like picking him at 9. You could get a similar guy in round 2... like Tyus Bowser. Jordan Willis, Trey Hendrickson, and Derek Rivers all knocked it out of the park. I now think Zach Cunningham will slip to round 2. Raekwon MacMillan could go ahead of him. Then tIhere's still TJ Watt and Jarad Davis. I don't mind the late riser tag, I just don't think it would be a savvy move.

I just wanted to point out that we happen to be followed in the draft order by 4 QB needy teams... Buffalo, Cleveland, New Orleans and Arizona. I could see any of them trading up to leapfrog Buffalo.

I'd have no problem whatsoever trading back as long as Hooker, Adams and Thomas are all off the board....if we get a chance at one of those 3 however, I'm sprinting to the podium.

probably pretty unlikely however.

I'd have no problem whatsoever trading back as long as Hooker, Adams and Thomas are all off the board....if we get a chance at one of those 3 however, I'm sprinting to the podium.

probably pretty unlikely however.
    This draft is deep enough if the Bengals can get a teams in the 10-15 range's first, a third, and a first next year, I'm trading back. They could still get a guy like Barnett or Charlton, and then be stacked with an extra first next year where LBer will be a deeper class.

They could still get a guy like Barnett or Charlton...
    yeah those guys do nothing for me whatsoever

Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    I just wanted to point out that we happen to be followed in the draft order by 4 QB needy teams... Buffalo, Cleveland, New Orleans and Arizona. I could see any of them trading up to leapfrog Buffalo.
    I can see the phone ringing off the hook in the Bengals war room but I can also see Mikey thinking too much and no trade getting done. In terms of trading on draft day(s) we are probably the least active team in the league. Who was it on ESPN a few years ago when they laughed out loud of the the idea of making a trade with Mike Brown? Mikey is a sloth, he takes far too long to think through these situations while other teams take a minute and make a decision.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

so that leaves 3 of my top-tier players left- Foster, Thomas and Hooker......who ya got??
    Just my four favourite players for this year:
    Player Pos Ht Wt College Grade (for NFL.com)

Thomas, Solomon DE 6'3" 273 Stanford 6.8
    Howard, O.J. TE 6'6" 251 Alabama 6.5
    Williams, Mike WR 6'4" 218 Clemson 6.3
    Davis, Corey WR 6'3" 209 Western Michigan 6.2

As interested as I am with Evan Engram(6'3" 234 4.42 40) in round 2, I just can't feel lucky about OJ Howard(6'6" 251 4.51) at #9. It's obvious they need more red zone targets and that the Bengals need a receiving TE (and a better OL) to keep FB Hewitt in the game. Last year they used the blocking TEs to help the line and it just congested the whole middle of the field.

Quote Originally Posted by puddycat View Post
    As interested as I am with Evan Engram(6'3" 234 4.42 40) in round 2, I just can't feel lucky about OJ Howard(6'6" 251 4.51) at #9. It's obvious they need more red zone targets and that the Bengals need a receiving TE (and a better OL) to keep FB Hewitt in the game. Last year they used the blocking TEs to help the line and it just congested the whole middle of the field.
    just a little thing puddycat: 2017 is the last year in tyler eifert contract

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnat...-eifert-12301/

... uh and get back andre witworth soon

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/3/8/...-mixed-signals
    Last edited by #1 italian fan; 03-08-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 italian fan View Post
    Just my four favourite players for this year:
    Player Pos Ht Wt College Grade (for NFL.com)

Thomas, Solomon DE 6'3" 273 Stanford 6.8
    Howard, O.J. TE 6'6" 251 Alabama 6.5
    Williams, Mike WR 6'4" 218 Clemson 6.3
    Davis, Corey WR 6'3" 209 Western Michigan 6.2
    I like those four as well but I think 9 is a little high for any of the WR's in this draft.

I like those four as well but I think 9 is a little high for any of the WR's in this draft.
    You are right as usual Spicoli ... bye bye williams and davis :'(

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/3/8/...-signs-bengals

Brandon LaFell re-signs with Bengals

You are right as usual Spicoli ... bye bye williams and davis :'(

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/3/8/...-signs-bengals

Brandon LaFell re-signs with Bengals
    Don't get me wrong I still think they draft a WR, I just don't think it'll be at 9......Zay Jones at 41 though wouldn't hurt my feelings in the least bit.

Don't get me wrong I still think they draft a WR, I just don't think it'll be at 9......Zay Jones at 41 though wouldn't hurt my feelings in the least bit.
    Everybody looks to love Zoey ... and me too i'd like to take him at #41

I'm not a fan of Mike Williams really....if we were picking in the 20's I'd probably be all over it but not at #9 overall, he's just too slow.

if I'm picking a top 10 WR I want AJ Green or Julio Jones, not Anquan Boldin.

I'd say the Bengals would be more inclined to pick OJ Howard than they would Williams.....much better athlete.
    Round 1: Pick 9 OJ Howard, TE Alabama

40-yard dash: 4.51 seconds
    Bench press: 22 reps
    3-cone drill: 6.85 seconds

Howard rocked the NFL combine. I mean he really put on a show. He showed his strength, agility and explosiveness all day long, and went from being a first round guy to being top 10 worthy IMO.

Eifert is injury prone, and we need another offensive weapon. Instead of going for Corey Davis or Mike Williams at WR, the Bengals can take the top talent available. Howard instantly upgrades the offense and provides us with a blocking presence at TE that none of our current guys do.

This pick allows Eifert to be used more sparingly in hopes of keeping him healthy. It also gives the team two athletic, pass-catching tight ends to control the middle of the field on offense.

http://stripehype.com/2017/03/08/cin...ne-mock-draft/

... also Eifert is in the last year of his rookie contract with the Bengals
    Last edited by #1 italian fan; 03-09-2017 at 04:04 AM.

for those who want a LB at 9, my advice is turn your focus away from Reuben Foster and turn it towards Haason Reddick.

Reddick checks every box-

-great kid

-great player

-great production

-position versatility

-off the charts athleticism

some team will likely take Foster in the first round despite his ignorance and some team will for sure take Reddick in the first round....if I had to bet on it, I'd say Reddick will have the much longer much more productive career in the NFL.

he's seriously as versatile as they come....converted DB at Temple who they put on the DL because they thought that's where he could impact the most FOR THEM....all he did was rack up 10 sacks and 23 tackles for loss.

they put him at MLB at the SR Bowl and he was the best player on the field......reminds me of Khalil Mack in that way.
    https://www.newstripecity.com/2017/0...asson-reddick/

Bengals Interested In LB Haason Reddick

From NFL.com

Temple: Bengals assistant works with Reddick
    Big draw: Haason Reddick.
    Don't forget: Dion Dawkins.
    Attendance: More than 40 scouts were reportedly on hand for the Owls' pro day, covering all 32 NFL clubs.
    The skinny: Not surprisingly, the Owls' top draft prospect, Haason Reddick, passed on the 40-yard dash after clocking a 4.52 at the combine. However, he reportedly performed well in position drills under the direction of Bengals LB coach Jim Haslett. Reddick continued his rise up draft boards earlier this week at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Oklahoma: Sooners RB in spotlight
    Big draw: RB Joe Mixon
    Don't forget: WR Dede Westbrook
    Attendance: Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer and GM Rick Spielman. All 32 clubs were represented.
    The skinny: After being barred from the NFL Scouting Combine, this was a monumentally important day for Mixon. He responded with a 4.50 40-yard dash, a number that would have put him squarely between Dalvin Cook (4.49) and Leonard Fournette (4.51) at the combine. He also had a 35-inch vertical jump and a broad jump of 9 feet, 10 inches. "I thought all of his results lined up with my expectations," said NFL.com analyst Lance Zierlein. "... This workout validates the athleticism we've seen on tape." More important than his numbers, Mixon got a chance to speak with a lot of NFL clubs about a 2014 incident in which he punched a female student and was suspended for the season. He met with four -- the Lions, Saints, Bengals and Browns -- on Tuesday, and reportedly was set to speak with 20 more. ... WR Dede Westbrook ran a 4.34 and a 4.38 40-yard dash, per the school.

NFL Trade Rumors: Jets eying AJ McCarron, may deal Sheldon Richardson

I can't see Mike Brown trading McCarron for a guy he can only control for one yr. That's not MB's way. With the O-line going to shambles, they're going to need 2 QBs. I can only see McCarron getting dealt if they're bowled over with a deal

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I can't see Mike Brown trading McCarron for a guy he can only control for one yr. That's not MB's way. With the O-line going to shambles, they're going to need 2 QBs. I can only see McCarron getting dealt if they're bowled over with a deal
    doesn't matter to me, i just thought I'd share it here.....I didn't put it out there though, a Jets beat writer did.

I actually mentioned this trade idea either here or on Cincyjungle not long after the issue came about with Richardson showing up to practice late on his birthday when they had a cake and surprise party planned for him. So that's been quite awhile ago.

I actually mentioned this trade idea either here or on Cincyjungle not long after the issue came about with Richardson showing up to practice late on his birthday when they had a cake and surprise party planned for him. So that's been quite awhile ago.
    alright well thanks for that LD

OJ Howard analysis

Is the second round too high for a guard? I have had my eye on a fellow who projects right into round 2:

Dan Feeney out of Indiana. A college career RIGHT guard, who has all of the pro-level skills for the position: quickness, anchor, brute strength, intelligence, and just downright nasty on the field. A natural plug-and-play guy.

I watch a lot of IU football: this guy has the goods.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Feeney will be a 2nd round pick, I'd say 41 is right in the wheelhouse.

Running back Joe Mixon wasn’t permitted to go to Indiana for the Scouting Combine. He has since gone to Ohio instead.

Via the Cincinnati Enquirer, Mixon arrived in Cincinnati on Friday night for a weekend visit with the Bengals.

The Bengals met with Mixon at his Pro Day workout in Oklahoma, along with the Browns, Lions, and Saints.

Local reaction to the news of Mixon’s visit could be critical to the team’s assessment of whether the P.R. reaction would outweigh his value to the team, if Mixon is drafted by the Bengals. A video of Mixon viciously punching a female in the face has made him one of the most controversial draft prospects in years, if not ever.

The interest in Mixon also could be bad news for Gio Bernard or Jeremy Hill. Bernard tore an ACL in November, and Hill is entering the final year of his rookie contract.

hearing that the Bengals are one of several teams in the top 12 that are in love with Haason Reddick....I'm gonna say he's gotta be the favorite for us at this point provided he's still there when we get on the clock...

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    Running back Joe Mixon wasn’t permitted to go to Indiana for the Scouting Combine. He has since gone to Ohio instead.

Via the Cincinnati Enquirer, Mixon arrived in Cincinnati on Friday night for a weekend visit with the Bengals.

The Bengals met with Mixon at his Pro Day workout in Oklahoma, along with the Browns, Lions, and Saints.

Local reaction to the news of Mixon’s visit could be critical to the team’s assessment of whether the P.R. reaction would outweigh his value to the team, if Mixon is drafted by the Bengals. A video of Mixon viciously punching a female in the face has made him one of the most controversial draft prospects in years, if not ever.

The interest in Mixon also could be bad news for Gio Bernard or Jeremy Hill. Bernard tore an ACL in November, and Hill is entering the final year of his rookie contract.
    What's the reaction in town to bringing Mixon in for a visit? Has there been radio chatter?

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Bengal View Post
    What's the reaction in town to bringing Mixon in for a visit? Has there been radio chatter?
    with the departures of Whit/Zeitler and UC and Xavier playing in their conference tourneys, it's gone pretty much unnoticed on local radio.

Feeney will be a 2nd round pick, I'd say 41 is right in the wheelhouse.
    Just curious, in your opinion Feeney could be better than Westerman?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profil...man?id=2555131

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...ney?id=2557873

Just curious, in your opinion Feeney could be better than Westerman?
    I'm not sure but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing them both here competing.

I'd personally rather see them wait until the 3rd rd or so to get an OL but if they take one in the 2nd I guess it would be pretty understandable.

hearing that the Bengals are one of several teams in the top 12 that are in love with Haason Reddick....I'm gonna say he's gotta be the favorite for us at this point provided he's still there when we get on the clock...
    Reddick has #7 ... just like Burfict in college

I'm not sure but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing them both here competing.

I'd personally rather see them wait until the 3rd rd or so to get an OL but if they take one in the 2nd I guess it would be pretty understandable.
    We strongly need another OT ... at least