Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: what's up Bengals peeps!? Draft season has arrived...

I'd trade Dalton to Houston for their #1 and make McCarron the starter.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphmtsu View Post
    I'd trade Dalton to Houston for their #1 and make McCarron the starter.
    lol you better get a helluva lot more than that for Andy Dalton....their first two picks this year and a first again next year would probably be a more viable starting point.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    Since Romo is retiring might Houston come after McCarron? I would if I were them. However, they were probably going to take a QB high even if they had signed Romo, so if they're comfortable with that there's no reason to trade for a guy. Unless they're certain he's the future.
    I still say McCarron to the J-E-T-S for Sheldon Richardson and a mid round pick will happen at some point this year.....makes too much sense on both sides for it not to happen, IMO.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Compensation aside, I would look to trade Dalton and stick AJ in there and draft another QB high this year or next. We are going nowhere with Dalton IMO.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

he's one of the better QB's in the league not named Ryan, Rapistberger, Rodgers or Brady...he proved that last year IMO.

you can't hold him responsible for all of the playoff losses and you can't hold him responsible for last years w/l record either....he might not be able to carry a team like the 4 I mentioned, but in no way does that make him a bad NFL starting QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    Just came up with this mock at the Fanspeak on the clock draft simulator:

1. Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama
    2. Raekwon McMillan, ILB, Ohio State
    3. Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina
    4. Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell (rumors abound he'll go day 2. Adam Bisnowaty and Connor McDermott were still there though).
    4b. Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo
    5a. Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State (I don't really think he makes it this far).
    5b. Jermaine Eluemunor, G, Texas A&M (or Jon Toth)
    6a. Kieonta Davis, DE, Chattanooga (don't think he's there either)
    6b. D.J. Jones, DT, Ole Miss (ditto)
    7a. Jeremy Clark, CB/S, Michigan
    7b. Steven Taylor, OLB, Houston

Not the most realistic scenario but move some guys around, and for my money it's just about the only way we can round out the roster save for a McCarron trade.
    Zay Jones @ 3? Is this realistic. I felt he may go end of 1st beginning of 2nd. Did he really jump this far up the board?

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    he's one of the better QB's in the league not named Ryan, Rapistberger, Rodgers or Brady...he proved that last year IMO.

you can't hold him responsible for all of the playoff losses and you can't hold him responsible for last years w/l record either....he might not be able to carry a team like the 4 I mentioned, but in no way does that make him a bad NFL starting QB.
    Ryan is new to the respect list, I'd still add Brees to that list also. Ryan choked quite a bit for quite awhile and finally got a solid offense around him, hmmm kind of like Dalton in 2015 before his injury.
    Only users lose drugs

He crapped his pants as much as anyone in the playoff losses. We are going nowhere in the playoffs with him at QB. If we truly want to win, I would seek a better option. It won't happen but I would do so.

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    He crapped his pants as much as anyone in the playoff losses. We are going nowhere in the playoffs with him at QB. If we truly want to win, I would seek a better option. It won't happen but I would do so.
    c'mon man, he's gotten better every single year he's been in the league, you can't really ask for more than that....and he's still got at least 5 good years in front of him.

the Dalton I saw last year had no fear of any situation he found himself in.....the fact that he couldn't prove it in the playoffs isn't on him.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....Andy Dalton is the absolute LEAST of this teams worries.

Quote Originally Posted by NCStripes View Post
    Zay Jones @ 3? Is this realistic. I felt he may go end of 1st beginning of 2nd. Did he really jump this far up the board?
    3rd round?

Bengals will draft either Chad Kelly from Ole Miss in the 5th round or later, or I think they take a chance on the kid Dobbs from Tennessee late. They are going to be looking for low cost high reward potential guys to replace McCarron.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Bengals will draft either Chad Kelly from Ole Miss in the 5th round or later, or I think they take a chance on the kid Dobbs from Tennessee late. They are going to be looking for low cost high reward potential guys to replace McCarron.
    completely agree

on pure talent, I'm kinda hoping it's Dobbs but you can't question Kelly's moxie.....reminds me a lot of McCarron in that way actually.

McCarron for Sheldon Richardson WILL happen.

completely agree

on pure talent, I'm kinda hoping it's Dobbs but you can't question Kelly's moxie.....reminds me a lot of McCarron in that way actually.

Some people that are pretty good at evaluating talent say that they see a lot of Dak Prescott in Dobbs. Dobbs isn't quite as polished or game ready, but could get there.

Quote Originally Posted by NCStripes View Post
    No, I don't think he'll still be there in the third. It was based on the CBS board, which still doesn't have him as highly rated as it should. But I selected him there anyway, because even if he goes higher some other very good WR will be there. Like Godwin perhaps. Actually I don't even think Jones will be there at 41, and would be glad to pick him there if he was.

that's why I said I didn't think the mock was realistic. I just liked the looks of it.

completely agree

I think you're dreaming brother. I might've thought that would happen before the JETS signed McCown for 6 million (how that guy keeps getting gigs is beyond me). They'd only trade for McCarron if they were sure he's starting quality (and if they don't think that they won't offer enough), in which case they wouldn't sign an over the hill vet. That shows me their strategy is stop-gap veteran and a rookie. This rumor has no legs in my opinion.

I think the only possibilities are Houston, Cleveland, SF or Washington (if they trade Cousins). And I'd still put odds on a McCarron trade at all at less than 50%. Like 30%. If we don't trade him, I really doubt we draft a QB. If we do trade him, I think we'll sign a guy like Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder, and then maybe draft a guy late if the opportunity presents itself (I like Dobbs as a career backup too).

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap30...ommondraft-era
    They rank all of the #1 overall picks. I might rearrange a few but I think that they did alright. A few Bengals in there, Carter, Wilkinson and Palmer.
    Only users lose drugs

Irving Fryar (21) would have been a Bengal, but the wheeling/dealing PB got three first round picks instead that year.

And the shortest bio on the list was (6). Wonder why?

Oh well, just goes to show how hit and miss the supposed "premium picks" really are.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Compensation aside, I would look to trade Dalton and stick AJ in there and draft another QB high this year or next. We are going nowhere with Dalton IMO.
    Lol.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    Irving Fryar (21) would have been a Bengal, but the wheeling/dealing PB got three first round picks instead that year.

And the shortest bio on the list was (6). Wonder why?

Oh well, just goes to show how hit and miss the supposed "premium picks" really are.
    Notice how they chose a pic with blood on his pants?

I totally forgot that George Rogers was a #1 overall pick. I loved watching him run the football before injuries took over. Jim Plunkett was another one I forgot was a #1. Damn he was good as a Raider.
    Only users lose drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    Lol.
    Not sure why my post was funny to some. What evidence have that the ML/Andy choke team can break the trend? At the very least, Andy can't carry a team, he can ride it but can't carry it. Good teams look for elite QB's and wont stop until they find one. I see no reason why we should not do the same. oh wait, i do a reason, Mikey is comfortable with Dalton.

Drew Brees got ran out of San Diego with the exact same type of short sighted thinking. Then, this weak armed, loser of a QB went from Marty ball to Sean Payton. Hmmmmm.

Edited to add:
    Don't forget that the Bengals don't run crossing routes so whatever QB you get here is going to have to overcome that. Take away crossing routes from Brady and he probably has zero rings.

Coaching.
    Last edited by Pre_hungover; 04-06-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    Only users lose drugs

Not sure why my post was funny to some. What evidence have that the ML/Andy choke team can break the trend? At the very least, Andy can't carry a team, he can ride it but can't carry it. Good teams look for elite QB's and wont stop until they find one. I see no reason why we should not do the same. oh wait, i do a reason, Mikey is comfortable with Dalton.
    has it really not occurred to you that not only has Dalton gotten better every year he's been in the league, he will continue to get better as he goes along?

ever stop to consider that maybe, just maybe, Andy Dalton is developing into an elite QB right before our very eyes?

like it or not, this team is set at QB and have no reason whatsoever to go searching for another one unless they trade McCarron and are in need of another backup.

never understood the Dalton bias here, he came into the league needing to be developed and that's exactly what's happened....and now that he's developed people want to get rid of him lol....SMDH.

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    Drew Brees got ran out of San Diego with the exact same type of short sighted thinking. Then, this weak armed, loser of a QB went from Marty ball to Sean Payton. Hmmmmm.

Edited to add:
    Don't forget that the Bengals don't run crossing routes so whatever QB you get here is going to have to overcome that. Take away crossing routes from Brady and he probably has zero rings.

Coaching.
    Drew Brees lost 4 straight playoff games before being run out of SD...hmmmm..

I know Marvin is a worse issue but between them we have zero chance to win anything significant

has it really not occurred to you that not only has Dalton gotten better every year he's been in the league, he will continue to get better as he goes along?

ever stop to consider that maybe, just maybe, Andy Dalton is developing into an elite QB right before our very eyes?

like it or not, this team is set at QB and have no reason whatsoever to go searching for another one unless they trade McCarron and are in need of another backup.

never understood the Dalton bias here, he came into the league needing to be developed and that's exactly what's happened....and now that he's developed people want to get rid of him lol....SMDH.
    No
    No
    He has chocked under pressure..sorry..reality bites. You could say Marvin has 'developed' as a HC as well then? Dalton is what he is, he cannot carry a team like an elite guy can. Not blaming him, just spouting facts. We are set at QB if yopu want to continue to be average

No
    No
    He has chocked under pressure..sorry..reality bites. You could say Marvin has 'developed' as a HC as well then? Dalton is what he is, he cannot carry a team like an elite guy can. Not blaming him, just spouting facts. We are set at QB if yopu want to continue to be average
    good points, only a few things to consider

1) the browns ( like other teams)have been searching for elite qb for years upon year ( since kosar?) rather then taking a 10-15 rated qb and fixing anything else they need. so how many other positions would be stronger if they would have used those picks there.

2) this is the bengals, what is the realistic chance if we did stumble on a elite QB in the draft that he would be here after 5 years ( thats only if we draft him in the 1st round)? even with Daltons decent contract they wont spend crap on a OL to support him. so we get a possible elite qb killed and Klingerize another one?

i think there are better qb then Dalton, but for the bengals i just dont see them paying to keep a rookie if he survives the 1st couple years of learning ( even payton manning sucked his 1st year) they aint going to get one off free agency we all know that. now i am not saying dont try to get another solid (yet hopefully elite) in the later rounds. but dont roll the dice on a QB in the 1st 100 picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker57 View Post
    good points, only a few things to consider

1) the browns ( like other teams)have been searching for elite qb for years upon year ( since kosar?) rather then taking a 10-15 rated qb and fixing anything else they need. so how many other positions would be stronger if they would have used those picks there.

2) this is the bengals, what is the realistic chance if we did stumble on a elite QB in the draft that he would be here after 5 years ( thats only if we draft him in the 1st round)? even with Daltons decent contract they wont spend crap on a OL to support him. so we get a possible elite qb killed and Klingerize another one?

i think there are better qb then Dalton, but for the bengals i just dont see them paying to keep a rookie if he survives the 1st couple years of learning ( even payton manning sucked his 1st year) they aint going to get one off free agency we all know that. now i am not saying dont try to get another solid (yet hopefully elite) in the later rounds. but dont roll the dice on a QB in the 1st 100 picks.

I fully understand Mike Brown - he simply wants to be 'in the mix' , comfortable and make money. And getting a better QB would still leave other issues for sure. We could have however picked a David Carr who looks better than Dalton already so drafting one with a high pick can make sense IF the risk/reward is justified. Hardest position to fill But my last point on the subject is - IF a team truly wants to win they should never stop seeking an elite QB. Look at the Seahawks - when Schneider and Carroll came on board they traded a high pick for Charlie Whitehurst - when that failed - they paid a lot for Flynn - when that failed they drafted Wilson - never stopped looking for 'the guy'.

Drew Brees lost 4 straight playoff games before being run out of SD...hmmmm..

I know Marvin is a worse issue but between them we have zero chance to win anything significant
    Yeah, San Diego got rid of him and got their big important playoff wins with Rivers . . . meanwhile Brees is a Super Bowl winning QB that sets records. Who would you rather have? Brees or Rivers? Palmer got chased out of here and he later won playoff games with Arizona. Was he really terrible with Oakland or did he have better coaching/better roster in Arizona? You see a QB that should be replaced, I see a QB that got two coordinators head coaching positions.

I'll repeat it again, 31 NFL teams run crossing patterns on a regular basis and Cincy will rarely run a crossing route, partly because they don't have WRs that can run away from anybody but mostly due to poor coaching. I would guess that most third down and medium/long situations converted in the NFL are by crossing routes. This is not Dalton's fault, that is a head coaching problem.

This is what can happen when you drag a WR across the field. Everyone is covered tight but one guy.

Yes, I'll go ahead and say it. I miss Jay Gruden. That's how you help a QB(by the way, nice job for the rookie as he calmly hit his third read). Hue Jackson wanted the receivers to be like Chad and TJ, who were both outstanding route runners. Paraphrasing his ego, "Run the routes that I tell you to run and run them correctly and ME and my play calling will lead us to victory". Zampese really disappointed me last year because he is pretty much just using Hue's playbook, probably a Marvin call for continuity purposes. I'm hoping that he spent the off-season tinkering with a few plays
    Only users lose drugs

our gangsta Draft for this year

1 foster = vontaze
    2 mixon = benson
    3 zamora = henry

life is good or bad ... just like you pick

Quote Originally Posted by #1 italian fan View Post
    our gangsta Draft for this year

1 foster = vontaze
    2 mixon = benson
    3 zamora = henry

life is good or bad ... just like you pick
    No. I do NOT want any fu cking player that thinks it is ok to abuse animals. That includes Cook and Zamora. They both can get hit by a bus for all I care. Abusing animals is cowardly and it is one of the signs of a sociopath for good reason.

Zampese , so far, to me has been a much lesser OC than both Hue and Gruden. I have little faith in Zampese to be innovative and adjust during the game - much like ML really. I have far more faith in Guenther whom I think is baing handcuffed by ML.

Coaching, overall, remains an issue with this team.

Zampese , so far, to me has been a much lesser OC than both Hue and Gruden. I have little faith in Zampese to be innovative and adjust during the game - much like ML really. I have far more faith in Guenther whom I think is baing handcuffed by ML.

Too early to bail on Zampese as OC, but there has to be major improvement this season. Guenther's D wasn't very good his first year either.

Despite the coaching staff, Dalton improves every year. Therefore, I think he needs to stay. The Bengals need to keep looking for a better QB in lower rounds, b/c it could lead to A) a better starter or B) what we have now, a very capable backup who is worth something.

The GM/Coaching staff is the problem with this team, not Dalton.
    Dona eis Requiem

Christian McCaffrey makes sense for the Bengals at No. 9

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/4/8/...r-bengals-no-9

After a rough 2016 season, the Cincinnati Bengals have the good fortune of being in possession of the No. 9 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. The possibilities for the pick are virtually endless, save for the eight players who will be taken ahead of the Bengals, as it is very unlikely the Bengals would trade up, given their history.

However, that leaves the entire rest of the 2017 draft class for the Bengals to consider. That is a lot of pressure to get the pick right, but it is also a great opportunity for the Bengals to find a great player with the pick. One player who might fit that bill is Stanford running back Christian McCaffrey, who has been climbing in the eyes of many draft experts and, lately, has been considered a potential top-10 pick.

It is no secret that the Bengals’ running back position needs some work. With 2016 breakout star Rex Burkhead now with the New England Patriots, the Bengals’ current running back corps consists of Giovani Bernard, Jeremy Hill and Cedric Peerman. Bernard is a solid running back, although he has had issues staying healthy over the years.

Hill has flashed potential over the years, but he has had generally poor production over the last two seasons, potentially prompting the Bengals to move on from him at the end of his contract in 2017. Peerman is a 30-year old career third string running back. Although he is the special teams captain and a special teams Pro Bowler, his career should be winding down soon, so there is virtually no chance he will be able to leapfrog Hill on the depth chart.

Clearly, the Bengals need to inject some talent into their running back corps. Even if Bernard is still a viable, talented player, he functions best in a complementary role. That is where a top running back prospect like McCaffrey comes into play. He can play the complementary role, but he can also be a workhorse if need be.

Receiving comparisons to Tiki Barber, there are some questions about McCaffrey’s 5’11, 202-pound frame. But, that doesn’t take away from the fact that he regularly displays great footwork, agility, and vision when carrying the ball. Although he can regularly break into open space, he never stops looking for an angle to take, making defenders miss tackles at every point during the play. His small stature might be a black mark for some teams, but it can also allow him to maneuver a defense with ease.

Unfortunately, in addition to questions about his size, there are questions about his exposure in college. Running backs typically have a very clear expiration date in the NFL due to the amount of work they are asked to do, and McCaffrey already logged a huge number of touches in college. He is used to having great blockers in front of him and tends to shy away from contact.

However, in a one-two punch system like the Bengals would surely utilize, most of the negative observations about McCaffrey won’t mean much. With a team like the Bengals, assuming they also make a concerted effort to build the offensive line, McCaffrey could thrive as a 240-260 touch weapon while Bernard takes roughly 200-220.

There are those who have criticized draft analysts for considering McCaffrey a top-10 pick. With Leonard Fournette also considered a top-10 pick, it seems crazy to think there are two running backs who could be taken in the top-10, especially when McCaffrey already has a significant amount of wear on his tires. But, you can’t deny that he could be a very dangerous weapon in the right system.

At the end of the day, the Bengals are at their best when they have multiple high-profile weapons on the field. They could go with a few other top offensive weapons in this year’s draft to put the team back in good standing, but McCaffrey provides so much potential talent. There is virtually no chance he will fall to the Bengals’ second-round pick, so this could simply be a question of ‘best player available.’

If he is the player the Bengals consider the best available at No. 9, they will definitely select him, and it would be very difficult to argue against it.

They dont need a RB at 9. BPA or whatever they need major O line help before any Backs .

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker57 View Post
    They dont need a RB at 9. BPA or whatever they need major O line help before any Backs .
    problem is, there are no o-lineman to take that high....good chance BPA is a RB, WR or TE whether it's McCaffrey, Cook, Fournette, Howard, Williams or Ross.

I'd bet big that we end up with one of those 6 with our first pick.....they're all graded pretty equally IMO.

Usually, CincyJungle's articles are thoughtful, well-researched, and solid. This one is charachatured.

The writer makes it sound as though he is working with a decade of material. Like Burkhead being a "star", after basically 3 games during garbage time at the end of a bad year. Or shaking his head at Hill's body of work "over the years". Uh, 3?

He then goes on to proclaim McCaffrey as "Top 10 draft pick", while simultaneously describing him as limited.

I literally know nothing about Christian McCaffrey. But if I was going off of just this writing, I would strongly favor passing him by.

I don't know how likely it is that we draft McCaffrey at 9 but I absolutely do believe that the Bengals are desperate to get a big-time playmaker at that spot....which McCaffrey absolutely is.

I don't know how likely it is that we draft McCaffrey at 9 but I absolutely do believe that the Bengals are desperate to get a big-time playmaker at that spot....which McCaffrey absolutely is.
    He is a 20-30 pick talent, not top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    He is a 20-30 pick talent, not top 10.
    oh you have access to teams draft boards do ya?

"Heard from multiple front office execs over last few days. Feeling is now Christian McCaffery goes Top 10." - Peter Schrager, FOX Sports

So much for McCaffrey going in the second round! I've had McCaffrey going to the Buccaneers at No. 19 in my 2017 NFL Mock Draft since the combine, but he'll apparently be off the board much earlier than that. I've attached this to the Jets, Panthers and Bengals to this because they're the likely spots for McCaffrey if he goes in the top 10. The Jets might be a long shot because there will be better prospects available (Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, perhaps Leonard Fournette), but the Panthers seem the most likely destination. Carolina needs a running back, but probably won't want Dalvin Cook because of his character concerns. The Bengals make sense as well, but they won't have any qualms about taking Cook. -Walter